• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kntj

Hi,

I've been trying to bulk at 2800 kcal and my weight has only increased 1KG in 4 weeks. Is it unnatural I have to eat this much being only 165cm/5'5 and ~62kg/~137lbs? I only do stronglifts 3 times a week and ride a bike to the gym (~6km per workout day at relaxed pace). Other than that I sit in front of a computer almost all day. Also, is the 0.5KG/week a good target for a shorter man also or should I aim for 0.4KG or something?

Thanks.

iddqd

Saw this routine posted on reddit

H4XZ2qS.png

Any thoughts?

That would take me SO MUCH TIME.
I also have no clue how to go hard on 5 sets of the main lift without fucking up stuff down the road.
This might be easier if you go for more hypertrophy OR if you are tougher than my baby butt.

CrankyJay

Banned
199.8 on the scale this morning, down from 214 last month...cut is moving along swimmingly.

Ahead of my goal of getting under 200 by March 1st...next stop, 190

Bowser

H4XZ2qS.png

Any thoughts?

This is the routine I'm currently on, although I do the "cutting" version, which is 3x5 instead of 5x5 on the main lifts (squat, bench, row, deadlift, press), 2x8 on the accessories (although I usually do 2x10-12), and progressing the weights every other workout, not every workout. Also, the press pic is wrong, he definitely recommends standing overhead presses, not seated presses.

Usually takes me about an hour in the gym.

Here's an article that goes into more detail and with some Q&A from Jason: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

BumRush

This is the routine I'm currently on, although I do the "cutting" version, which is 3x5 instead of 5x5 on the main lifts (squat, bench, row, deadlift, press), 2x8 on the accessories (although I usually do 2x10-12), and progressing the weights every other workout, not every workout. Also, the press pic is wrong, he definitely recommends standing overhead presses, not seated presses.

Here's an article that goes into more detail and with some Q&A from Jason: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Yeah, if you're doing a cutting version, you're probably not taking 2-3 minute rests between your compounds. I could see that second day taking forever if you really did 5X5 squats, DL and OHP with 3 minute rests.

Bowser

Yeah, if you're doing a cutting version, you're probably not taking 2-3 minute rests between your compounds. I could see that second day taking forever if you really did 5X5 squats, DL and OHP with 3 minute rests.

I take ~3 min rests between my major compounds. Especially squats, no way I could go into another set of 5 reps at 200+ lbs with only a minute or so of rest. Bench, OHP, and row I usually only need 1:30-2:00 min of rest per set.

I take only 60 seconds of rest between the accessories though. So the bulk of my time in the gym is spent on the compounds (roughly 45 minutes) and the accessories only take me ~15 minutes.

BumRush

I take ~3 min rests between my major compounds. Especially squats, no way I could go into another set of 5 reps at 200+ lbs with only a minute or so of rest. Bench, OHP, and row I usually only need 1:30-2:00 min of rest per set.

I take only 60 seconds of rest between the accessories though. So the bulk of my time in the gym is spent on the compounds (roughly 45 minutes) and the accessories only take me ~15 minutes.

Not bad at all! I do a similar workout but do the full 5 reps for compounds (only 3 for DL) (with 1-2 medium weight warmups before my working sets), and 3-4 sets for accessories, so it takes me a little longer, but yeah, great workout.

edit: do you do warmup sets?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Where do you fit in leg exercises?

Bowser

Not bad at all! I do a similar workout but do the full 5 reps for compounds (only 3 for DL) (with 1-2 medium weight warmups before my working sets), and 3-4 sets for accessories, so it takes me a little longer, but yeah, great workout.

edit: do you do warmup sets?

Yes I do warmup sets for the compounds except deadlift and barbell row with 45-60 sec rest in between. Currently I do two sets of 5 with just the bar and then two sets of 3 with ~60% of my working weight. No warmups for the accessories.

And I only do 1x5 on Deads so that saves time as well obviously

What do you mean? I don't do any other leg exercises besides squats/deads. No need.

Raguel

H4XZ2qS.png

Any thoughts?

I do a variation of this. Been doing it for a two months. i like it. This is basically the stronglift 5X5 but with extra exercises to cover full body. don't do the cable stuff. I replace some of the exercises with skull crushers, pull ups, calf raises, etc. i usually finish within an hour and 15 mins or so.

BumRush

If you do squats and DLs you don't really need to do any other leg exercises. I also do cleans and stiff leg DL, so I DEFINITELY don't want any more legs in my workouts.

I do a variation of this. Been doing it for a two months. i like it. This is basically the stronglift 5X5 but with extra exercises to cover full body. don't do the cable stuff. I replace some of the exercises with skull crushers, pull ups, calf raises, etc. i usually finish within an hour and 15 mins or so.

You guys are fast. I could never get through the whole workout with warmup sets in 1 hour. Maybe it's just me.

I have some rotator cuff soreness benching after doing OHP this morning. Its really the only time I get it. I was planning on doing more face pulls, stretching, and icing. Anyone else have any tips for me?

Raguel

If you do squats and DLs you don't really need to do any other leg exercises. I also do cleans and stiff leg DL, so I DEFINITELY don't want any more legs in my workouts.

You guys are fast. I could never get through the whole workout with warmup sets in 1 hour. Maybe it's just me.

Like a previous poster say, the majority of my time, around 45 mins, is focused on the main lifts, i.e. squats, DL, etc. This includes warm up. The other 30 mins is spent on the misc. I go in, work out, and leave. No chit chatting, no bs, no socializing.

BumRush

I have some rotator cuff soreness benching after doing OHP this morning. Its really the only time I get it. I was planning on doing more face pulls, stretching, and icing. Anyone else have any tips for me?

It may be your AC joint (I sprained mine a couple of years back and it hurt when I benched).

My buddy is a PT so I went to him for treatment...besides electro-stim and RICE, he recommended doing:

I incorporated these into my workouts (or did some of them at home) and felt much better after a month or so.

Like a previous poster say, the majority of my time, around 45 mins, is focused on the main lifts, i.e. squats, DL, etc. This includes warm up. The other 30 mins is spent on the misc. I go in, work out, and leave. No chit chatting, no bs, no socializing.

Haha yeah I work out alone in my garage, so no socializing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Band pull aparts and band shoulder dislocations. Also try rolling your chest/back with a lax ball.

It may be your AC joint (I sprained mine a couple of years back and it hurt when I benched).

My buddy is a PT so I went to him for treatment...besides electro-stim and RICE, he recommended doing:

I incorporated these into my workouts (or did some of them at home) and felt much better after a month or so.

Band pull aparts and band shoulder dislocations. Also try rolling your chest/back with a lax ball.

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to start incorporating these today.

Raguel

Haha yeah I work out alone in my garage, so no socializing.

That exercise helps with my rotatory soreness. And yeah, i don't mind socializing (i have what i call my usual gym buddies), but since i'm always on a time crunch, i try not too stay long at the gym. I'm thinking about building a home gym but i am moving in the near future and the trouble of hauling all those equipment is a deterrent

BumRush

Not entirely sure why, but I can't do those. They make my shoulders feel like they're clunking in and out, and after a while they hurt, and not in a good way.

You're supposed to go super light...like 10 Lbs plate light. It's more of a stretch than a lift, at least when you're using it to strengthen your AC joint.

BumRush

Time spent working out efficiently and effectively has a direct positive correlation to sex had with wife and a complete inverse correlation to time spent playing video games.

Coincidence?

ILoveBish

Finally fixed sleep schedule. Woke up at 7am today, plenty of rest, and diet of course back on track. Going to not even have my Korean BBQ for a while, just going to be super strict till March. Then I'll start having some seafood on the weekends, have a bunch of canned salmon I need to use up, probably going to make salmon cakes similar to crab cakes.

Done with gym till Monday where I begin 1s week. Feel so strong now, I know I'm going to kick ass. Scale wise I'm actually up a pound but I've been losing more fat for sure, leaning out a lot and I can see the difference easily. Just going to keep on trucking.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it!

Today was supposed to be the day, people. It was supposed to be the day when I FINALLY joined the 200 lb. club on my deadlift. Sadly, that was not meant to be. Here's the thing though. It would have been one thing if I didn't get all my reps. I would have accepted that. But what made today really soul crushing was that I couldn't even move the fucking bar. And I attempted it about 3 or 4 times and not a friggin inch. I truly don't know what went wrong. My diet has been better than it's ever been, I've been constantly taking creatine and I've been both consistent with my training and resting a lot. I don't know why, therefore, this goddamned thing was so heavy. Last week I did 195 lbs., which although was no easy task, I was able to do it. Yet now a mere 10 lbs. higher after a whole week of recovery and this thing wouldn't even budge. It's not like I was sick or tired or anything either. And now my day is totally ruined.

In short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_O1hM-k3aUY#t=10

I work out at home and just recently got resistance bands. What are your guy's opinions on those?

Band pull-aparts are a pretty great shoulder-health exercise with bands (though I prefer face-pulls when the equipment is available). I haven't found any other movements that I love with them.

I work out at home and just recently got resistance bands. What are your guy's opinions on those?

What fredrancour said above. I just bought some for stretching and strengthening my shoulders.

edit: Gonna try shoulder dislocations with them.

Goddamn it!

Today was supposed to be the day, people. It was supposed to be the day when I FINALLY joined the 200 lb. club on my deadlift. Sadly, that was not meant to be. Here's the thing though. It would have been one thing if I didn't get all my reps. I would have accepted that. But what made today really soul crushing was that I couldn't even move the fucking bar. And I attempted it about 3 or 4 times and not a friggin inch. I truly don't know what went wrong. My diet has been better than it's ever been, I've been constantly taking creatine and I've been both consistent with my training and resting a lot. I don't know why, therefore, this goddamned thing was so heavy. Last week I did 195 lbs., which although was no easy task, I was able to do it. Yet now a mere 10 lbs. higher after a whole week of recovery and this thing wouldn't even budge. It's not like I was sick or tired or anything either. And now my day is totally ruined.

In short:

We all have these days. They really suck. Just gotta hit it hard next time.

Raguel

Goddamn it!

In short:

You'll get there. How often do you rest between deadlift days? Do you only do it once a week?

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to do something that seemed quite easy just the week before and utterly failed... let alone move on to new heights. Sometimes your body just doesn't want to play ball.

RoeBear

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to do something that seemed quite easy just the week before and utterly failed... let alone move on to new heights. Sometimes your body just doesn't want to play ball.
Yeah I know these feels. My bicep seems tweaked again after spotting my partner on bench last week. I still managed to get 140s on incline db eight times this week. But arm day I couldn't do anything but 30s on stuff.

Anyone here ever deal with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome? My past few squat sessions I've noticed radiating pain and tingles down my right arm after completing a set. Earlier in the week it was so bad that I couldn't bench afterward. Some quick Googling came up with a few stretches that can help alleviate the pain, but I wasn't sure if this is now something I have to deal with for the long haul.

SeanR1221

Count me in the failed today crew.

Bench at 250 humbled me. 205, 225, 235 all shot up.

250 I got stuck halfway up. I went for it again and only got a quarter up.

Gonna buckle down and really hit my banded bench and heavy singles hard. Also will do more drop sets.

Determined to bench 275 by the end of summer.

grumble

Yeah, once a week. I read doing it more often than that would tax your CNS too much or something.

Not at 200lbs deadlift (assuming young male here). Do two sets of 5 three days a week, and eat good food, sleep, and don't forget your squats, chin-ups and presses.

I stopped doing deadlifts every workout once I got to 335. Then it was every other. If you're squatting 3x/ weeks heavy and deep then yeah might want to watch your recovery.

sphinx

the piano man
I managed to do my 5x3 242 lbs squat sets today, but my knee wasn't feeling that well.... plus, the last rep on the last set reaally was a grind, I think I howled or something lol.

I should probably work on that weight one more time, it really didn't feel easy, I didn't have more in the tank. I barely made it

Top or bottom? Had my top ones done when I was young and I REALLY don't want to get my bottom ones done even though they're starting to be a bit of a pain.
All of em. :( Though they aren't bad, or so my dentist and hygienist said. It's supposed to be pretty simple.

I don't need them out, but they are a bitch to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom