• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoeBear

Good luck Spiritreaver. Mine were going to mess up my teeth so I had them taken out even though the bottom were never going to actually come out of my gums. I had soup that night and then had subway the next day.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Anybody get any muscle soreness in your trapezius after doing high rep deadlifts? Did them yesterday but I am unsure if my form is wrong (doubt it) was just surprised that my trapezius is sore but not really my legs or lower back.

Evo X

I've seen this video a bunch of times, and still laugh at the part where he says "This muthafucka look like he came out the hyberbolic time chamber!" lol

335x4 bench. By far a PR

God Damn! Is this you?

Superman-The-Man-of-Steel-Movie-bearded-Clark-Kent-by-actor-Henry-Cavill.jpg

BumRush

Yeah, once a week. I read doing it more often than that would tax your CNS too much or something.

You should be fine deadlifting 2X per week, which I would encourage.

I work out at home and just recently got resistance bands. What are your guy's opinions on those?

What are you using them for? I have a few and use them for band pull aparts and face pulls. Otherwise, I always have one in my suitcase just in case there isn't going to be a gym where I am.

Good luck Reaver!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
God Damn! Is this you?
A little bigger. Less cut. About equal chest hair at the moment.

Four times. Four goddamn times today I got asked if I was taking steroids. Had a Red Bull rep riding with me and he asked if I always get asked that question so often.

demented

So why not add a shitload of spices to them? They're basically calorie free and some spices are particularly good for your body.

I don't really understand people eating plain chicken & turkey when it's so easy to jazz it up. If you can't cook, learn! Hell, you can get ready made spice mixes in packets these days anyway... it's not like you need to do a great deal of thinking about it. Just chuck it on and cook.

Better still, marinade up a huge batch, cook it and then freeze it. Then every day for a week you just get out what you need and reheat. Delicious.

Don't know which ones. I'm open to learning just don't know from where, tried some random crap I found but meh, also sometimes can't find all the ingridients or just too lazy.
I get all my chicken grilled at butcher's shop for free so I don't have to bother doing it and just keep it in fridge for like 3 days, maybe I should buy more and have it frozen so I have less excuse to eat out and when I need more proteins just heat some up.
But yeah I need to learn how to season it, right now I just do heinz bbq sauce and it's okish but super boring, and vegetables on side which i love but that just ends up making me fuller when I have to eat 250g of chicken plus rice or potatoes tho.

Ate like a king today cause I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow and won't be eating much all weekend. :(

Whatever you do, do not forget to ingest fiber either from food or supplements. Unless you want to scream and cry after 4 days of not going to the toilet

EDIT: And no, milk doesn't cut it

Powercast

I managed to do my 5x3 242 lbs squat sets today, but my knee wasn't feeling that well.... plus, the last rep on the last set reaally was a grind, I think I howled or something lol.

I should probably work on that weight one more time, it really didn't feel easy, I didn't have more in the tank. I barely made it

You might want to look into microplates. Adding 0,5kg-1kg is much easier than adding a rep or two and it adds up overtime. They are really useful for when you can't really progress with the normal 2,5kg increments (I'm looking at you OHP).

You might want to look into microplates. Adding 0,5kg-1kg is much easier than adding a rep or two and it adds up overtime. They are really useful for when you can't really progress with the normal 2,5kg increments (I'm looking at you OHP).

I know that feeling on OHP. God damn lift.

Bowser

I know that feeling on OHP. God damn lift.

Amen, fuck OHP.

Last Saturday I could only get 3x3 at 110. Today I put up 2x5 and 1x4 at 110, so a better result, but still not a perfect 3x5 :(

Noema

Saw this routine posted on reddit

H4XZ2qS.png

Any thoughts?

The problem with that image is that it doesn't take into account that Jason Blaha's 5x5 is supposed to be a linear progression, as in, you are supposed to add weight to all movements every session.

As it stands, it's just a list of exercises (very poorly represented...those are barely like half squats at best, the Military Press is done standing, not seated)

If you just walk into the gym and do the exercises with whatever weights you feel like...that's a recipe for failure. It will lead to fuckarounditis, boredom, lack of progress and will end up the same as every other routine posted on Bodybuilding.com or whatever.

Otherwise it's a pretty standard strength Linear Progression with Hyperthrophy stuff added on. I'd suggest running something simpler like Starting Strength focusing only on the "big four" (squat, deadlift, bench and OHP) and then slowly adding the other movements over time.

Again, the exercises have to be programmed. If you squat 135lb one session you should be squatting at least 140lb the next.

That's the difference between a "routine" (useless and leads nowhere) and an actual training program (goal oriented and tracks results building up progress).

Bowser

The problem with that image is that it doesn't take into account that Jason Blaha's 5x5 is supposed to be a linear progression, as in, you are supposed to add weight to all movements every session.

As it stands, it's just a list of exercises (very poorly represented...those are barely like half squats at best).

If you just walk into the gym and do the exercises with whatever weights you feel like...that's a recipe for failure. It will lead to fuckarounditis, boredom, lack of progress and will end up the same as every other routine posted on Bodybuilding.com or whatever.

Otherwise it's a pretty standard strength Linear Progression with Hyperthrophy stuff added on. I'd suggest running something simpler like Starting Strength focusing only on the "big four" (squat, deadlift, bench and OHP) and then slowly adding the other movements over time.

Again, the exercises have to be programmed. If you squat 135lb one session you should be squatting at least 140lb the next.

That's the difference between a "routine" (useless and leads nowhere) and an actual training program (goal oriented and tracks results building up progress).

Good clarification. It's why I posted the link to the Q&A regarding the program as the picture doesn't do it justice or really explain the thought process behind the program.

J. Bravo

brehs. I squat heavy like once every 2 weeks. I mean, that's pretty much the only time I squat. And it's always after an 8 hour shift at work (Quiktrip). Last time I squatted I got 335x5 for my last set. Tonight, I went like this:

Back Squat: 135x8, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 340x5.

That was damn tough. But I'm super pumped I got it. Honestly, the beltless pause squats I did afterwards were more difficult. 170x3x8. Then I went home. I might go to bed early tonight, I'm beat.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not at 200lbs deadlift (assuming young male here). Do two sets of 5 three days a week, and eat good food, sleep, and don't forget your squats, chin-ups and presses.

I stopped doing deadlifts every workout once I got to 335. Then it was every other. If you're squatting 3x/ weeks heavy and deep then yeah might want to watch your recovery.

You should be fine deadlifting 2X per week, which I would encourage.

Well I'm doing Greyskull LP. It has 2 days of squats as well. Wouldn't doing 2X deadlift be a bit much for the legs? And if not, how do I incorporate it into my workout?

ILoveBish

IMO, he looked OK before, but looks like a toy came to life after. It's just too much for me personally, I wouldn't want to get to that level, but he got amazing results and as long as he likes it, good on him.

BumRush

I personally wouldn't do AMRAP DLs twice a week lol.

In his case, I don't see him progressing without it. The bar didn't even budge at 200 lbs which sounds like more than just a bad day.

If not DL, make sure you're adding some supplemental work for your lower back while you continue to progress on the squat, oblivion.

Don't know which ones. I'm open to learning just don't know from where, tried some random crap I found but meh, also sometimes can't find all the ingridients or just too lazy.
Buy some low carb cook books. Not so much because they're low carb, but because they tend to have very high protein recipes in them... a lot of which tend to be chicken.

Maybe a slow cooker / slow cooker recipe book too. ;)

Edit - Related, I have three pounds of chicken breast in the slow cooker right now with some peppers, olives and pasta sauce. Should be delicious.

sphinx

the piano man
Wut? He looks way better post cycle/cycles.

matter of taste I guess, but I'd rather take ten years to look like a healthy athlete, than have that hideous 'roided gut and those shit proportions, like the typically roided huge dealts that don't fit in the body's context.

not saying roids can't give you amazing results when used properly, like a guy I posted several pages back but this kid looks bad, both before and after in my opinion and the reason is because he's not an athlete.

My 2-cents on the topic are: be an athlete for a whole life, then when you know everything about nutrition, exercising, strenght and have attained the body that comes with that, consider PEDs that extra that will improve your gains a 10%-20%, the results will be fucking spectacular. This kid has none of that.

As it stands, it's just a list of exercises (very poorly represented...those are barely like half squats at best, the Military Press is done standing, not seated)

I don't know of any "routine", which is not "goal oriented and tracks results building up progress", making it useless as a parameter for distinguishing between the effectiveness of training programmes.

Chocobro

In his case, I don't see him progressing without it. The bar didn't even budge at 200 lbs which sounds like more than just a bad day.

If not DL, make sure you're adding some supplemental work for your lower back while you continue to progress on the squat, oblivion.

Yeah I know. It just wouldn't be Greyskull LP though. I don't think one would modify one of the full body routines in the OP or even 531 to DL twice a week.

I'm currently on GSLP as well and I added back extensions to the accessory lifts I do at the end of each session. So it ends up looking like this, except squat and DLs are the second lift and back extensions are done last. I do 3x10 with ~5-10s static hold on the last rep of each set.

matter of taste I guess, but I'd rather take ten years to look like a healthy athlete, than have that hideous 'roided gut and those shit proportions, like the typically roided huge dealts that don't fit in the body's context.

Roid gut is down to HGH, not whatever testosterone derivative one takes.
Proportions are obviously down to the guy not particularly caring about aesthetics.

Also if you ever saw his vid where he describes what he was on, the twat was also using synthol. And injecting inside his car. Cuz fuck sterile environments i guess.

BumRush

Yeah I know. It just wouldn't be Greyskull LP though. I don't think one would modify one of the full body routines in the OP or even 531 to DL twice a week.

I'm currently on GSLP as well and I added back extensions to the accessory lifts I do at the end of each session. So it ends up looking like this, except squat and DLs are the second lift and back extensions are done last. I do 3x10 with ~5-10s static hold on the last rep of each set.

Great point...Oblivion, add back extensions at the end of your workouts.

SeanR1221

I don't know of any "routine", which is not "goal oriented and tracks results building up progress", making it useless as a parameter for distinguishing between the effectiveness of training programmes.

You really don't know of any routine like that? Really?

The vast majority just throw out a bunch of exercises with no emphasis on consistent progression.

ILoveBish

not saying roids can't give you amazing results when used properly, like a guy I posted several pages back but this kid looks bad, both before and after in my opinion and the reason is because he's not an athlete.

My 2-cents on the topic are: be an athlete for a whole life, then when you know everything about nutrition, exercising, strenght and have attained the body that comes with that, consider PEDs that extra that will improve your gains a 10%-20%, the results will be fucking spectacular. This kid has none of that.

Being an athlete has nothing to do with it. That is an absurd assumption. Using PEDs doesn't mean you will look like that guy. Many people who you think look like an athlete are on PEDs.

Faiz

This is a little semantic, but the semantics here are important. The vast majority* of people in the gym have a "routine". They go into the gym, pick up some weights or sit down at a machine, do the movement and move on to the next machine/movement/what have you. They'll go through the same basic list of exercises. Maybe they'll think about how much they did before and feel like they can do more, so they do. Maybe they are feeling lazy and don't. They are getting some exercise, which is better than most of the populace and shouldn't be looked down upon for that. But in the end, a routine is just a list of exercises.

If your goals are to continually elicit a response of adaptation in your body, then you need programming which deliberately chooses specific movements and sets specific goals to achieve that adaptation through progressive overload. This involves tracking and planning of intensity and volume for each and every session.

*I'm probably being generous, and most people in the gym don't even have a routine, they just do random crap.

This is a little semantic, but the semantics here are important. The vast majority* of people in the gym have a "routine". They go into the gym, pick up some weights or sit down at a machine, do the movement and move on to the next machine/movement/what have you. They'll go through the same basic list of exercises. Maybe they'll think about how much they did before and feel like they can do more, so they do. Maybe they are feeling lazy and don't. They are getting some exercise, which is better than most of the populace and shouldn't be looked down upon for that. But in the end, a routine is just a list of exercises.

If your goals are to continually elicit a response of adaptation in your body, then you need programming which deliberately chooses specific movements and sets specific goals to achieve that adaptation through progressive overload. This involves tracking and planning of intensity and volume for each and every session.

*I'm probably being generous, and most people in the gym don't even have a routine, they just do random crap.

The people who are doing random things and not following a progression are not following a routine. Show me one program which literally means you follow a list of exercises but do not mean to progress via the addition of weight, volume, reduction of time in between sets etc.

You really don't know of any routine like that? Really?

The vast majority just throw out a bunch of exercises with no emphasis on consistent progression.

I'm taking you mean a routine which lists a bunch of exercises and has a rep scheme. I don't think it takes much intuition to realise that in this case the progression would be to add weight once you can do the prescribed rep scheme easily at a certain weight.

The people who are doing random things and not following a progression are not following a routine. Show me one program which literally means you follow a list of exercises but do not mean to progress via the addition of weight, volume, reduction of time in between sets etc.

Literally every routine the trainers at the gym ever assigned to me until i discovered starting strength had fuckall linear progression. Was usually just divided in arms and back/chest and core/legs days, 5 to 7 isolation exercises per day, 3x12-15. You'd increase the weights maybe once a month, change the program a bit every two months.

Most people down here get their routines from the instructors on the floor, and its mostly shit routines like that. Par for the course down here :/

Literally every routine the trainers at the gym ever assigned to me until i discovered starting strength had fuckall linear progression. Was usually just divided in arms and back/chest and core/legs days, 5 to 7 isolation exercises per day, 3x12-15. You'd increase the weights maybe once a month, change the program a bit every two months.

Most people down here get their routines from the instructors on the floor, and its mostly shit routines like that. Par for the course down here :/

What you have just described is a routine, and there is easily the ability to progress on that said routine: once you can do 3 x 12-15 reps easily at a certain weight, add weight next time.

The fault is with the user of the program not knowing how to progress rather than it being the fault of the program itself.

BumRush

What you have just described is a routine, and there is easily the ability to progress on that said routine: once you can do 3 x 12-15 reps easily at a certain weight, add weight next time.

The fault is with the user of the program not knowing how to progress rather than it being the fault of the program itself.

But all he is saying is that a lot of people don't do SS or 5/3/1, etc. The majority of routines that the average person are doing don't stress linear progression, they stress rep scheme and body part breakout (if lucky)

Faiz

If it's a set list of exercises, yes they are. That's the very essence of the word "routine". It's a fixed set of actions. Do A, then B, then C, etc. Thats a routine.

Programming, in the context it is used here, determines how you change that routine, and how often.

I'm taking you mean a routine which lists a bunch of exercises and has a rep scheme. I don't think it takes much intuition to realise that in this case the progression would be to add weight once you can do the prescribed rep scheme easily at a certain weight.

1) some people don't actually care. They want to go in, get some exercise, thereby improving their general level of fitness from their normal couch potato level. And that's fine. They don't want progression. They might benefit from it, but it's not their goal, so whatever. A regular routine is great them.

2) Personally I think the directive of "add weight when you can do the prescribed rep scheme easily at a certain weight" is squarely in fuckarounditis territory. Some people will do ok following that philosophy but it lacks such definition and clarity that it would impede progress IMO. It's the philosophy I went with for years and it got me pretty much nowhere. I wasted years of potential because I didn't have defined and purposeful programming.

2) Personally I think the directive of "add weight when you can do the prescribed rep scheme easily at a certain weight" is squarely in fuckarounditis territory. Some people will do ok following that philosophy but it lacks such definition and clarity that it would impede progress IMO. It's the philosophy I went with for years and it got me pretty much nowhere. I wasted years of potential because I didn't have defined and purposeful programming.

Pretty much what happened to me.
Wouldnt call "blindly following a routine without understanding it" a program, but then we wade into them semantic seas.

If it's a set list of exercises, yes they are. That's the very essence of the word "routine". It's a fixed set of actions. Do A, then B, then C, etc. Thats a routine.

Programming, in the context it is used here, determines how you change that routine, and how often.

1) some people don't actually care. They want to go in, get some exercise, thereby improving their general level of fitness from their normal couch potato level. And that's fine. They don't want progression. They might benefit from it, but it's not their goal, so whatever. A regular routine is great them.

We are not actually disagreeing on anything. I just don't think that anybody should say that Ice Cream Fitness or SS are good programs because they follow linear progression and bodybuilding.com routines are rubbish because they do not. This is a lie as these bodybuilding.com routines have exactly the same form of progression (linear progression is literally the most basic form of progression there is and nothing special at all).

Show me a routine which literally wants you to use the same weights and and rep scheme and never change a thing. There is no such thing and is therefore pointless in assessing the quality of a program.

Pretty much what happened to me.
Wouldnt call "blindly following a routine without understanding it" a program, but then we wade into them semantic seas.

You could easily do SS by following the exercises and rep scheme but not add weight. Whose fault is it - the program or the person following the program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom