• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we all want what we can't have then.

tumblr_lxfwotbdRP1qedb29o1_r3_500.gif

Sadetar

The feels you get when you hit that right spot under those gym lights. :) Leaning out feels good.

Down to 204 this week. I'm enjoying being back on keto, it's been fun. I've had so much steak. Started doing weighted pullups/dips as well, hopefully they'll improve even on this cut. *shrugs* Just happy to be in the groove again.
You look phenomenal and your chest is just huuuuge!

Regarding your bf%, you're a girl, thick (good thick), and have big boobs. I feel like your bf% is going to be naturally high. Also, the scales are inaccurate.
+/- 10% body fat... which basically makes them useless. Not even reliable enough to trend with.
Thank you both. Perhaps I just shouldn't think about it too much. I am trying to get to use to rely on the mirror more since to me it matters way more than just the numbers anyway. At the moment I just think that I look like a sack of potatoes. Need to still drop weight and get firmer. Hopefully before the end of this year I would be on my goal weight. Injuries just keep bothering me all the time and stress doesn't make eating right any easier.

50 pounds in a year is awesome! You should really be proud. Dont let a number dictate how you feel. Just keep doing what you are doing, it obviously works!

Some people can get the results they want without counting calories, but personally i feel its a great tool to get the best results possible.
Awww, thank you! I keep saying to myself that 50 pounds is ok, even if not really yet enough for my goal. Injuries, forced rest, work, graduating thesis and all that have just kept me with maintaining and I haven't had the real drive to push it (and at the moment my physiotherapist would anyways kill me if I would try). I am waiting that I would heal a bit, would be able to sleep more than couple hours in a row and actually get the damn diet in order again. Hopefully in the end of summer I am more cut.

When I was doing a proper cut I really enjoyed keeping it strict, and counting calories and macros helped me to do it in a way that I knew I was getting all I needed. It is handy and I am definitely going back to it after the thesis nightmare is over. If things go as planned I should be a bit more pain free and have it done within under two months.

Yeah counting calories just doesn't work... I feel like the last 5 days I've wasted away to nothing while counting calories. If that was his answer I'd be like "why would anyone want to hire you then"?

So I guess I lose my fat first from my stomach region faster than anything else.
Hahah, I didn't need to really ask that. You know a person is desperate when he offers free diet and scaling. If you are a professional and have a good customer base you have no need for that.

Also as a sidenote I have been staring those pics way longer than I should have. Nice glasses and facial hair. ;)

Cooper

I know I am still overweight but I was still shocked when I got a free scaling and it said my bf % is 45,5. It might be correct, but it honestly feels a bit high. I have no idea how inaccurate they possibly can be. Perhaps I am just fatter than I thought. :p

Based on your pics, I feel quite confident saying that number is rubbish. By scaling, you mean one of those BIA scales that sometimes have a hand grip? They can be okay for estimating changes, as long as you measure in the same conditions each time. But a single reading from them means almost nothing. In particular, they are highly influenced by hydration levels. So events like eating, working out, taking a shower, and yes, even your menstrual cycle phase can all drastically effect the calculation.

So yeah, don't worry about it. Each pic update you show indicates amazing progress. :)

The Chef

Haha thanks!

I really enjoy being the first one more. Counting everything gets tiresome, and I miss almond butter with almost every meal lol.

Dude I agree man your first shot is beast mode. You have fantastic definition and a huge chest. Nice work!

The feels you get when you hit that right spot under those gym lights. :) Leaning out feels good.

Down to 204 this week. I'm enjoying being back on keto, it's been fun. I've had so much steak. Started doing weighted pullups/dips as well, hopefully they'll improve even on this cut. *shrugs* Just happy to be in the groove again.

Crap Spirit, looking massive.

MrMuscle

Yeah counting calories just doesn't work... I feel like the last 5 days I've wasted away to nothing while counting calories. If that was his answer I'd be like "why would anyone want to hire you then"?

So I guess I lose my fat first from my stomach region faster than anything else.

You are killing that pose bro, looking good.

Heysoos

I've added front pause squats to my DL day, but it's only been a week since I did that so obviously I don't know how much it'll help. That said, it's so frustrating to see my squat regressing so much while everything else has been going up extremely smoothly. I kind of miss the frequency of heavy squats I had with SL5X5 that sometimes I want to go back. :/

Szu

God, you're one of those guys who have after/after shots.

The Chef

I've added front pause squats to my DL day, but it's only been a week since I did that so obviously I don't know how much it'll help. That said, it's so frustrating to see my squat regressing so much while everything else has been going up extremely smoothly. I kind of miss the frequency of heavy squats I had with SL5X5 that sometimes I want to go back. :/

One of my least favorite exercises. After completing a set I always end up slamming the bar back on the rack pissed off because of just how damn uncomfortable it is on my shoulders. I think I may stop doing it completely.

On another note:
I was thinking about doing some high-protein baking stuff like pancakes and snack stuff. Whats better for that type of thing chocolate or vanilla whey?
Going to pick up the Gold Standard stuff probably.

despire

Any recommendations for a 4 day hypertrophy split? I've been running this http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/ since September, but I think it's time to move on. Here are my lift #'s:

Squat: 235x8
Bench: 185x6
OHP: 125x8

I do Romanian DL's at 245x8

Lyle's Generic Bulking Routine is supposed to be one of the better ones.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showpost.php?p=25564&postcount=123
http://buildingaleanbody.com/wp-con...Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf

Edit:
Just checked your link and it seems that the workout routine on that site is pretty similar to that of Lyle's.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Was watching a video with Arnold where he mentioned you should pose between sets. Did it today which is Chest day and shieeeeeeeeeeeeeet my chest is on fire. I also PR'd on the Incline for 5 reps @160lbs!

Does anyone have any good resources on poses? I want one for each muscle group, since I only know the most muscular right now. Thanks in advance.

ACE 1991

Bowser

Was in New Orleans for the past 3 days for my roommate's bachelor party. Ate so much fried food and drank more alcohol than I probably have in the last 6 months combined. Weighed in 9 pounds heavier this morning lol. Time to get back on the horse...

Well heres the first video I'm posting to Fit Gaf. I have a longer explanation in the video description but its fair to say I'm pretty fatigued as its my last set of the day. Any and all comments are welcome: youtube. Ignore the bullshit at the beginning. I didn't feel like editing it.

kris.

Banned
Height: 5'11
Weight: 307 lbs
Goal: Not be a fatty, get strong
Current Training Schedule: Monday thru Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday
Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym, I guess
Comments:

Hey, everyone. I need some advise. I (VERY HESITANTLY) took a weightlifting class in high school. Back then, I was probably around 250-260ish, ended up loving the class and weightlifting in general, but pretty much stopped exercising completely when I left for college. I really want to get back into it, but I feel like I'm too big to be lifting and am getting so many mixed messages online about whether I need to lose weight first before I start lifting or how lifting will help me lose weight faster than cardio... I dunno. I find cardio to be very boring but I don't want to go about this the wrong way. I've been tracking my caloric intake with MFP and have lost 6-7 pounds in the last week and a half or so since I started. Basically my question is should I lose weight before I start lifting?

Basically my question is should I lose weight before I start lifting?
Probably not. Lift and get your intake right. You'll lose weight and get stronger, for the short term at least (this doesn't really work for experienced lifters)

Ignore the whole losing weight quicker by lifting thing. The basic argument is that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns at rest... technically true but it's such a minuscule amount that it might as well be nothing.

There are many massive success stories here of posters who essentially lifted and dieted their way out of obesity without ever touching cardio. So if cardio doesn't work for you, focus on what does. Once you've lost some weight you'll likely feel a lot different about your cardio fitness anyway.

kris.

Banned
Probably not. Lift and get your intake right. You'll lose weight and get stronger, for the short term at least (this doesn't really work for experienced lifters)

Ignore the whole losing weight quicker by lifting thing. The basic argument is that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns at rest... technically true but it's such a minuscule amount that it might as well be nothing.

There are many massive success stories here of posters who essentially lifted and dieted their way out of obesity without ever touching cardio. So if cardio doesn't work for you, focus on what does. Once you've lost some weight you'll likely feel a lot different about your cardio fitness anyway.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm gonna start a SS regiment tonight. Fucking pumped to get back into this.

Szu

Well heres the first video I'm posting to Fit Gaf. I have a longer explanation in the video description but its fair to say I'm pretty fatigued as its my last set of the day. Any and all comments are welcome: youtube. Ignore the bullshit at the beginning. I didn't feel like editing it.

Nice work, big guy. I liked how gently you brought down each rep. :p

pixelation

Dude, I envy your physique, specially in that second picture. Alas I'll never get that being an ectomorph, fantastic job man.

So, it's like your got the upper body of a gorilla and the lower body of a horse.

Oh dude, you had me laughing out loud...

bchamba

Looks like very solid pulls especially for 90% of your max. Actually based on how smooth they were I would say you're shortchanging yourself and it may be closer to 85% of your max.

ILoveBish

340 on squats went up so easy today, felt like the barbell was going to fly off and hit the ceiling. I can't explain why I'm feeling so strong. But damn, feel incredible. 1s week starting off great.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sooooo here we are again. I'm contemplating competing. You guys already know I plan on a push/pull in May. But now I'm probably going to enter the novice under 231lbs division at St. Louis strongest man competition. Probably gonna register with NAS tonight and send in my application and fee tomorrow.

Oh, and both events are a week apart. Lol.

Looked solid, and you're a big dude!

GrapeApes

How do you guys deal with having a vacation right in the middle of your programming? I'll be gone for a week and won't have access to the gym. So it cuts into the transition from hypertrophy to more strength focused lifting. Afraid I'll come back and find myself weaker than before.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How do you guys deal with having a vacation right in the middle of your programming? I'll be gone for a week and won't have access to the gym. So it cuts into the transition from hypertrophy to more strength focused lifting. Afraid I'll come back and find myself weaker than before.

Go on vacation, pickup where you left off, or roll back one week.

Looks damn solid to me Duff.

Nice work, big guy. I liked how gently you brought down each rep. :p

Looks like very solid pulls especially for 90% of your max. Actually based on how smooth they were I would say you're shortchanging yourself and it may be closer to 85% of your max.

Looked solid, and you're a big dude!

Thanks everyone! My all time PR at deadlifts was 475 lbs so I'm slowly getting back to where I was a year ago. I managed to pull two singles at 440 a couple of weeks so I don't have any lingering back issues at least. I'm glad my form looks decent at a fatigued state. Thats the first time I've been filmed in months. The train to 500 is so close to reaching the station, too bad I didn't hit it 8 months ago like I was planning. Actually Szu I thought I had put that last one down pretty rough lol. I almost never drop it. Stretching and walking on vacation is never a bad thing either.

You'd be surprised at how little, if any you will lose. The more likely outcome is that your body will appreciate the week off and you'll come back and kick ass. I just do a couple of extra warm up sets when I come back from a week off.

GrapeApes

You'd be surprised at how little, if any you will lose. The more likely outcome is that your body will appreciate the week off and you'll come back and kick ass. I just do a couple of extra warm up sets when I come back from a week off.

Go on vacation, pickup where you left off, or roll back one week.
I'll probably just end up doing that. Do more warmup weights before my working sets. Don't want to be in for a rude awakening when I come back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Are they tested Brolic?

I doubt it, nothing was posted about it in the rules and strongman like powerlifting and BB is loaded with PEDs. Im not worried though, I'll see how I do being just me.

The push pull definitely isn't tested and its unsanctioned. I KNOW I'll be lifting against juicers, most of them are my gym buddies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I doubt it, nothing was posted about it in the rules and strongman like powerlifting and BB is loaded with PEDs. Im not worried though, I'll see how I do being just me.

The push pull definitely isn't tested and its unsanctioned. I KNOW I'll be lifting against juicers, most of them are my gym buddies.
Yeah, it will be loaded with them. As long as you know that going in you can temper expectations. I still think you'll be near the top though which is amazing by itself. I think I'm actually just as curious to see you get down to 230. ha

Matugi

Couldn't even get ONE rep of 295 of bench today. No idea what's going on right now but I think I'm just gonna reset. Fucking pissed though, just two months ago I got the same weight for 3 reps :/

Edit: I don't think today's was a case of exhaustion, just a combination of poor form and a bad spotter. For one I think I rolled off my traps a bit and started with my hands a little too wide - no lat engagement. I think this was precipitated because I asked my spotter to help with liftoff and he did jack shit, so I had to push off (immobile pins) and lost my lat tightness. Regardless I'm going to reset and correct my form and hopefully I'll exceed this plateau next cycle.

Oscar

Is OHP the hardest lift for anyone else?

Instead of increasing by 5lbs every time, I'm stuck there for a few days before finally being able to add 5lbs.

Doing wonders for my arms tho.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, it will be loaded with them. As long as you know that going in you can temper expectations. I still think you'll be near the top though which is amazing by itself. I think I'm actually just as curious to see you get down to 230. ha

I got down to 209 a few years back, won't do that shit again while lifting, that's for sure. And I'll be competing novice at the strongman comp, so it should be pretty level playing field I would think. Here's the events and weights.

Yoke walk 60 feet 500lbs.
Press medley log 200lbs, circus DB 120lbs, block 200lbs. Block is AMRAP 60 seconds.
Car deadlift
Farmer carries 60 feet 210lbs
Atlas stones to varying height. Light stone to highest and so on. 180,200,220,240,260

I've never done stones before, or a circus DB and the heaviest I've gone on yoke is 485lbs, so I should be pretty good on novice, but not dominate.

If I did open, here would be the weights and events.

Open Men 231lbs.

Yoke 60 foot 650lbs
Press medley: log 260lbs, circus DB 150, 200lb block amrap on block
Car deadlift
Farmer carries 60feet 270lbs
Atlas stones 260,280,300,320,340

The yoke would crush me and I don't have time to add 100lbs to it safely and as I said, I've never loaded stones and as it is a 200lb sandbag is the best I've loaded so far.

If somehow I win Novice I can never do novice again and next year I'll compete open. I know even in novice there will be PEDs though. And as I said, in the push pull I know for a fact there are PEDs involved n

kris.

Banned
Started my regiment today and squat has very much killed my legs. It's pretty obvious that I haven't done this in a while hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom