• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelation

Hey health gurus, I have a question for you guys. Has anyone cut regular/diet coke from their diet and notice any significantly positive changes?, is it true that coke makes lowering your BF level harder?, thanks!!!

Sadetar

Based on your pics, I feel quite confident saying that number is rubbish. By scaling, you mean one of those BIA scales that sometimes have a hand grip? They can be okay for estimating changes, as long as you measure in the same conditions each time. But a single reading from them means almost nothing. In particular, they are highly influenced by hydration levels. So events like eating, working out, taking a shower, and yes, even your menstrual cycle phase can all drastically effect the calculation.

So yeah, don't worry about it. Each pic update you show indicates amazing progress. :)
Yep, that kind of cheap BIA scale with a hand grip. Good to know that you don't find them that particularly accurate either. :)

Also thanks for the comments! Definitely made me smile. ^_^

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey health gurus, I have a question for you guys. Has anyone cut regular/diet coke from their diet and notice any significantly positive changes?, is it true that coke makes lowering your BF level harder?, thanks!!!

It's sugar water. Of course it makes maintaining a lower BF harder.

And diet soda is a whole other host of issues you can look up.

RBK

Banned
Any downsides to doing cardio workouts daily?

Started walking/jogging 2 miles a day, going to kick it up to 3 miles once I build my stamina up. Want to accelerate my weight loss progress as much as possible.

RoeBear

Dude I agree man your first shot is beast mode. You have fantastic definition and a huge chest. Nice work!

You are killing that pose bro, looking good.

God, you're one of those guys who have after/after shots.

Dude, I envy your physique, specially in that second picture. Alas I'll never get that being an ectomorph, fantastic job man.

Lol Thanks for all the nice comments. Been hitting the gym super hard. It helps that everyone thinks I'm super pissed off at them. It means there's a lot less bs time.

Fox318

tried squatting in Chuck Taylors instead of barefoot (I was using running shoes before)

Man what a difference. I can see why people would buy squat shoes. I felt planted compared to barefoot.

ILoveBish

Lol Thanks for all the nice comments. Been hitting the gym super hard. It helps that everyone thinks I'm super pissed off at them. It means there's a lot less bs time.

My tactic also. Problem is my mean looks carried over outside the gym and people tell me all the time i look scary. Need to work on that.

RoeBear

My tactic also. Problem is my mean looks carried over outside the gym and people tell me all the time i look scary. Need to work on that.

Yeah I work at the gym, so when they see me working they know I'm a nerd/friendly guy since I'm either reading my kindle or playing Vita.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! 175 lbs. on my squats! Finally, it looks like we're actually having some proper progress. Looks like I've been improving on 3 out of the 4 main lifts. The only one that's still a bitch and a half so far is the OHP. Had to deload on that last time. Still, I'll take what I can get. :D

Also, happy birthday, Szu!

edit: Also, too. I know that it's no shock to see hot girls at gyms, but during my last workout I saw this utterly smokin' Asian goddess (at least I think she was Asian). She had a body that I would consider nigh perfect. Tiny waist, no fat whatsoever aside from the proper areas (boobs and butt) and her thighs and glutes were the stuff of legend. Seriously, we're talking about a real life Chun-Li here.

Turns out she's a power lifter, which would definitely explain the thighs and glutes. But that's one of the interesting things I've noticed. Most of the power lifter chicks I've seen tend to be pretty damn attractive. Far more so than bodybuilder chicks. Which is the exact opposite for dudes. Guys that powerlift are definitely strong, but they tend to be fatter looking than body builders.

I just wanted to comment on that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Is OHP the hardest lift for anyone else?

Instead of increasing by 5lbs every time, I'm stuck there for a few days before finally being able to add 5lbs.

Doing wonders for my arms tho.

OHP has the weakest weight potential compared to all the main lifts so it makes sense that it moves glacially. Just stick with it and you'll slowly get stronger.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So annoying, our new house has a low ceiling in the basement (204cm), and it's impossible to find a dual pulley cable machine for the home gym room that would fit. Most machines start at 210-215cm. Any suggestions?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I think I'm going to stop focusing on strength. Bench capped at 250 lbs, squat capped at 195lbs. DL capped at 220 lbs. OHP was 120 lbs.

I can't keep focusing on going heavy, it's unsustainable. Joints start to hurt. Some body parts just can't keep up, etc.

I'm going to switch to high reps routine for a while. Anyone else have this kind of experience? I was basically doing madcow.

andycapps

Started walking/jogging 2 miles a day, going to kick it up to 3 miles once I build my stamina up. Want to accelerate my weight loss progress as much as possible.

You'll burn fat and muscle when doing cardio, so you definitely want to combine this with a lifting program like one in the OP. Make sure you're getting enough calories and protein.

Diet is really more important than cardio, but I can understand you wanting to speed it up. Just make sure what you're doing is sustainable and that you don't starve yourself doing all this work.

Fox318

So annoying, our new house has a low ceiling in the basement (204cm), and it's impossible to find a dual pulley cable machine for the home gym room that would fit. Most machines start at 210-215cm. Any suggestions?

could you make your own pully system?

Szu

I think I'm going to stop focusing on strength. Bench capped at 250 lbs, squat capped at 195lbs. DL capped at 220 lbs. OHP was 120 lbs.

I can't keep focusing on going heavy, it's unsustainable. Joints start to hurt. Some body parts just can't keep up, etc.

I'm going to switch to high reps routine for a while. Anyone else have this kind of experience? I was basically doing madcow.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like this, but then I'm old.

Besides your bench, which is decent for the avg. gym bro, I wouldn't say your numbers are anything that should be causing joint/body pains. I'd hazard a guess you're technique might be off?

You could always post a video, i'm sure the regulars here would help you out.

That being said, doesn't hurt to change your focus to something that'll be more enjoyable to you and like you said sustainable.

ACE 1991

Damn, those numbers are crazy. I'll trade you my squat and OHP numbers for your bench...

I don't agree that any numbers are more important or better than any other numbers. They're numbers. Unless they're something seriously wrong with your lifts as long as you're making progress that's great.

Just out of interest, when people post numbers without x1 / x5 / x8 etc, is it generally considered that they're talking about their 1RM? Going back to an earlier subject of always knowing what you're able to lift... I have no idea what my 1RM numbers are, because I don't test them. The smallest increment of anything I do is 5.

ACE 1991

Squat and OHP are much more important than bench though.

I just wanna get that two plate bench, man :( been stuck on 185x6 for a couple weeks now. I'm thinking of switching to this program next week: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

which should help me get my bench up. Any thoughts on the the program? It seems well-rounded in terms of exercise selection (I really like 4 day splits), but it doesn't include anything related to programming. Any good ideas on how I should progress with this?

EDIT: Also, doing 4 sets of each of these exercises seems EXHAUSTING. Will it hamper da gainz much to stick with 3 sets for each lift?

bchamba

http://youtu.be/jlMTiECf-w8

put together a video of my max effort lower body lifts from the past two weeks, pause squats and reverse band deadlifts. Felt good hitting 380 for a pause squat but then felt bad yesterday when I was planning on hitting 395+ for a regular squat and couldn't even get 385 up. I think this was due to not having a refeed day after cutting carbs drastically last week.

yogloo

A hole in your ceiling.
Nothing is going to stop this train.
Choo choo.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
could you make your own pully system?

Maybe buy a seperate pulley cable system. No machine?

http://www.fitness-seller.nl/marbo-plafond-pulley-mh-w105/

Something like this.

I was thinking of getting this wall-mounted pull down station and attaching additional wheels to the wall. That thing is 200cm high and would fit.

A hole in your ceiling.
Nothing is going to stop this train.
Choo choo.

I could also just dig a hole in the concrete. ;-P

andycapps

I don't agree that any numbers are more important or better than any other numbers. They're numbers. Unless they're something seriously wrong with your lifts as long as you're making progress that's great.

Just saying that I find OHP to be a better exercise than bench. I still do both, but a high OHP impresses me much more than bench. But yeah, progression in all your lifts is what is important, definitely.

moocow

I hit a 190 ohp yesterday, don't think I've ever struggled so hard on an ohp rep and made it up. My bench is still stuck at 300, but i think it's all mental. All at an unfortunate <160 bw

Good luck Brolic I know you'll kick ass. Happy Bday Spirit! Have a fun day. I had a great bench/OHP day. This week has gone swimmingly in the gym so far. Love it.

Downsides: Permanent knee and ankle joint wear. Achilles tendonitis. Plantar fasciitis. Stress fractures.

Upsides: None.

Running is for people who are or want to be competitive runners.

I lost 45 lbs at a steady 1 lb. a week without any cardio except a 5 minute warmup on the elliptical, just strength. That's more than 45lbs of fat, as I was gaining muscle.

I now do intervals on the elliptical one day a week to get blood into my legs after squat day. Cardio is way overrated.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Damn, those numbers are crazy. I'll trade you my squat and OHP numbers for your bench...

My OHP and Squat are weak.

Bench is what's killing, not those two. I just can't keep adding lbs to it. I will continue to squat heavy, but OHP..... I don't know....thinking about it. If I want to grow, I shouldn't do it too heavy.

My numbers are for 3 to 5 reps. That bench number is 3 reps. Madcaw has you building up the max weight. So you do 4x5 at lighter weights, building to the 250lbs 1x3. Make sense?

Thanks guys for the birthday wishes. <3 <3 <3

I had my first cheat in a month on Sunday, pizza and brownies. Was good. I was gonna stay clean through my birthday, but what's the fun in that? So I had to have something.

Back to the grind now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom