• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heysoos

Hey guys, this kind of happened today during my last set of deadlift.

q1148n7l.jpg

What's the best way to deal with this? I was going to buy some bandage tape or whatever, or any suggestions? I'm heading off to mail something off in like 30 minutes so I figure I'll drop by Walgreens or Walmart to buy something for it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey guys, this kind of happened today during my last set of deadlift.

q1148n7l.jpg

What's the best way to deal with this? I was going to buy some bandage tape or whatever, or any suggestions? I'm heading off to mail something off in like 30 minutes so I figure I'll drop by Walgreens or Walmart to buy something for it.

Dermaplast if you have to do anything. I usually just rip the shit off the rest of the way and let it go after washing it

Got to use my new wrist wraps today for the first time on OHP > 155 lbs and Bench > 225 lbs. Things worked like a charm. A lot less wrist stress (that I didn't even know I was going through until I started using these) and much better form. Felt good to hit 275 on bench with no problems at all.

bchamba

It looks like you're holding the bar too low in your hands also. The callous on the base of the fingers is expected but you shouldn't get it below that, only above like near the first joint in some fingers.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It looks like you're holding the bar too low in your hands also. The callous on the base of the fingers is expected but you shouldn't get it below that, only above like near the first joint in some fingers.
I agree. The area where you ripped skin on your palm is smooth as a baby's butt on my hands.

Heysoos

I agree. The area where you ripped skin on your palm is smooth as a baby's butt on my hands.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I'll pay more attention to bar placement on my hand. It's only happened to my right hand, my left hand is smooth on that part.

Dermaplast if you have to do anything. I usually just rip the shit off the rest of the way and let it go after washing it

Thanks for the advice!

sphinx

the piano man
my calluses on my right hand are at an all-time worst... liquid chalk does wonders for grip but damn...

my next SO better lift and consider palm calluses a common thing, I really don't want to deal with "eeewwww!" comments.

Cooper

We'll see how this goes. Kind of nervous tbh. Not the working out part, but being surrounded by big, fit guys. Being a tiny gay boy my entire life, walking into the gym today and seeing everyone working out, I was like, these are the kinds of guys I've spent the last 23 and a half years avoiding.

Assuming you've joined a fairly standard gym and not one that specifically caters to bodybuilding-type athletes, the people using it will probably look like a typical sample of society. Nothing to be nervous about either way. Best of luck!

ILoveBish said:
Next time i post pics, you'll see what i'm talking about, was pretty bad. But hey, it's gotten a lot better! And i was going to do my dexa scan on march 28th but now i want to wait another 2-3 weeks to do it, just because i got some quest bars on sale and i immediately got kicked out of keto every single time i ate one and it set me back weeks. I'm giving my bars away to my sister in law just to not have them in the house.

Oh, I completely believe you. Just saying any visible signs of prior weight or health problems are fully erased. Again, very impressive.

Out of curiosity, how do you judge whether a food kicks you out of ketosis? Is it a feeling, or do you use some sort of test strip?

andycapps

bros! weighed myself after my workout and pre workout shit, and I clocked in at about 198!! then tried 2 more scales, one was closer to 195, the other was 197.2! so close to 200. I wasn't even trying to hit 200 but I am super close and got so hype. I took an "almost 200" selfie but prob wont post it haha. and to think it's time to start cutting in 5 days :( never really been on the hype bulk train until now....sucks its already time to get off it haha.

Yeah I always take a pre-workout shit. If not, I end up having to go between sets. Especially on days I'm doing deadlifts or squats.

ILoveBish

Lost 11 of the 13lbs as of this morning, back down to 239.5. Stopped eating quest bars and just got back on track. Back to be record lows next week I hope.

Oh, I completely believe you. Just saying any visible signs of prior weight or health problems are fully erased. Again, very impressive.

Out of curiosity, how do you judge whether a food kicks you out of ketosis? Is it a feeling, or do you use some sort of test strip?

Thanks. I can tell I'm out because of the overnight water weight gain. My stomach will bloat up physically and i gain 3-5lbs overnight which is basically impossible. It's the water weight being retained. This is a natural thing that happens when carbs ate fueling you.

The strips are useless in reality. Eventually you become fully adapted and you no longer piss out ketones. That happens initially because you are wasting ketones due to not being fully adapted. Fully adapted your efficiency to use ketones for energy kicks in and they are no longer wasted. It's why I have so much trouble sleeping every night. I have the energy of a 18 year old and I'm 36.

sphinx

the piano man
Today I went to a GNC and asked the guys there what's everything for.

I should have gone and asked long ago but since I normally don't communicate in my mother tongue and I have some level of social anxiety I basically stuck to the "protein = liquid food" idea neglecting all other supplements available in fitness stores.

but the topic I want to ask about is Mass Gainers

you guys know I want to aquire mass so as the guy was explaining to me, I was like "THIS is what I have been looking for". Thing is they rely on carbs. the strongest mass gainers had 145 gr. in one portion which seemed like a lot to me.

could anyone please share some thoughts and experiences with those?

Some stuff/small updates from my side:

• Reached 1x1x160 kg deadlift goal achieved!
  • Currently Deadlifting 1x5+ 155 kg - hopefully it will stabilise at that for the time being
  • Switched to dumbbell curls which is more comfortable than barbell curls. Feels like the weight distributes more equally.
  • Benching 82,5 kg (baby weight: approx 1,5 plates) regularly now. Working on increasing that workset before rounding 2 years of lifting.
  • Weighted pull-ups are at +15 kg.
Feels gud gafbrahs.

I've been looking and comparing some before photos anno '13 and after anno '15. I can't believe I let myself go like that. Then again I had little self-respect and self-esteem for myself back then.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well last night I set a new PR for deadlifts with 305 lbs for 1x5. My previous pr was 305 lbx for 1x2.

Now next week it's feeling more likely than ever that I'll hit my first 3 plate lift and get a 315 lb deadlift for 1x5.

ILoveBish

Still at 1400 calories, still kicking along. Hit 230lbs on bench today easily. Didn't even have to use any leg drive, just went up clean.

And that's 3 sessions of 531 done without missing a single rep. Next week deload week then upping weights again.

Realistically, I've never looked so lean. Really feels like I'm gaining lean mass and losing fat. We'll see how things go.

Visceir

my calluses on my right hand are at an all-time worst... liquid chalk does wonders for grip but damn...

my next SO better lift and consider palm calluses a common thing, I really don't want to deal with "eeewwww!" comments.

Or you could just use a pumice stone and file away the calluses before they tear off during a heavy set of deadlifts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still at 1400 calories, still kicking along. Hit 230lbs on bench today easily. Didn't even have to use any leg drive, just went up clean.

And that's 3 sessions of 531 done without missing a single rep. Next week deload week then upping weights again.

Realistically, I've never looked so lean. Really feels like I'm gaining lean mass and losing fat. We'll see how things go.

You're inspirational my friend. Even if you don't believe it. You are.

ILoveBish

Such a great feeling when you feel it in your waist/lower stomach. I could feel it the other day. Made me want to be extra strict on my diet ha.

Yeah, seeing the results happen in real time is awesome. Went to change my shirt after the gym and I had a hard time believing that was me in the mirror. Stomach getting flatter everyday.

You're inspirational my friend. Even if you don't believe it. You are.

Keto brotherhood. We doin it.

Sadetar

Sadetar, the 20lbs shy of competition weight refers to the yoke weight. Competition is a 500lb yoke. I only need to lose 10lbs before May 8.
Ah, my mistake. :) 10 pounds doesn't sound too bad. I also imagine that basing of what I have seen adding 20 lbs to your yoke isn't really an issue to you. :D

Thanks so much everyone. I am still the 350lb no muscle fat dude inside, have not much confidence unless i'm at the gym, where i feel like i'm in my natural element. And of course, on fitgaf.

I get asked to cook for others all the time actually. I should turn that into my full time job, healthy cooking bish.

Yep, thats the recipe. I weigh it out on a food scale, portion control it, and its all pre-determined calorie/macro wise ahead of time. I keep it very simple because really, why add the complication of coming up with stuff to eat everyday. Easier to eat the same thing, know exactly what your macros are, and only have to cook once every few weeks. I understand that eating the same thing can get old, but what is more important, sure fire diet without any concerns over hitting your macros everyday to hit your goal, or having a change of pace for food.

Plus the meal is freakin delicious. I destroy it when it comes to lunch time, and i've been eating this for months, its still incredible.
It will certainly take time for your mind to catch up since you have had so huge changes in your apprearance. You will get there though and it will be glorious.

I am not that surprised about people asking you to cook. I have done a rip off of that recipe couple times and it has been extremely delicious. :p

I am also really looking forward to see your full body shots and some comparison pics!

Oh and you are already 36 (not that it would be really that much either)?! I have always thought you are way younger, especially after seeing that photo. Wow. Impressive indeed.

Some stuff/small updates from my side:

• Reached 1x1x160 kg deadlift goal achieved!
  • Currently Deadlifting 1x5+ 155 kg - hopefully it will stabilise at that for the time being
  • Switched to dumbbell curls which is more comfortable than barbell curls. Feels like the weight distributes more equally.
  • Benching 82,5 kg (baby weight: approx 1,5 plates) regularly now. Working on increasing that workset before rounding 2 years of lifting.
  • Weighted pull-ups are at +15 kg.
Feels gud gafbrahs.

I've been looking and comparing some before photos anno '13 and after anno '15. I can't believe I let myself go like that. Then again I had little self-respect and self-esteem for myself back then.
Awesome to hear you are doing that well. And you should feel good about it!

Ooooh! And photos! Yay! Yes! Pretty please do share them. ^_^ It is always motivating to see other people's progress.

Yeah, seeing the results happen in real time is awesome. Went to change my shirt after the gym and I had a hard time believing that was me in the mirror. Stomach getting flatter everyday.
I remember this feeling from the autumn when I was losing weight quite nicely. (And now I miss that feeling. Dammit. Need to get back to it soon.) I still have once in a while hard time thinking it is me in some of my pics. My brains always just start to tell to me that it is only flattering angle and that I am still fat (which is also true). I am going to hop on on that cutting train of yours after a month.

I don't wanna be that dude, but uh, you have nothing to worry about, seriously.
Awww, thanks Vince! I really appreciate your words. <3 I am just so stiff and feeling pitiful at the moment and sleeping most of the time doesn't really help on that. I just wish I could go back to moving and stretching since it generally makes me feel better about myself. Hopefully next week. :)

ILoveBish

Looking beast FE.

Ok, quote this post to see a link to pictures of me, and please don't reply with the quote or link, some scary people lurk gaf.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looking beast FE.

Ok, quote this post to see a link to pictures of me, and please don't reply with the quote or link, some scary people lurk gaf.

Bish, brother. What an upgrade this has been. You look fucking magnificent now. You should be more than proud, you should be just...man, you're a goddamn good looking guy, and you've found your look. What a jump you've made. I love it. You're inspiring.

The vision of ILoveBish is going to shame me. Back to keto tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, it's seriously motivational.

ILoveBish

Bish, brother. What an upgrade this has been. You look fucking magnificent now. You should be more than proud, you should be just...man, you're a goddamn good looking guy, and you've found your look. What a jump you've made. I love it. You're inspiring.

The vision of ILoveBish is going to shame me. Back to keto tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, it's seriously motivational.

Thanks man, even tho you are totally keto brotherhood biased.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Get the fuck out of here with that Bish! Amazing work. Be proud. Very proud.

FE. Looking great. I knew you couldn't resist posting a few pics. Ha

Sadetar

Feelin myself today

My APT has gotten better but didn't realize how bad it was.
Looking good there! Shirtless pics are always appreciated. :p

Damn. I knew you have gone a long way but the difference is phenomenal! Absolutely fantastic job! You are truly an inspiration!

Also you are extremely sexy nowadays. <3 Great bone structure on your face, just saying. Totally loving the facial hair and your hair style too.

ILoveBish

great pics FE and Ilovebish, keep up the good work

Get the fuck out of here with that Bish! Amazing work. Be proud. Very proud.

FE. Looking great. I knew you couldn't resist posting a few pics. Ha

Awesome stuff Bish!

Damn that is an impressive transformation! Looking great bish!

Thanks guys. Still a long way to go, just like all of us. Fitgaf is bestgaf.

Damn. I knew you have gone a long way but the difference is phenomenal! Absolutely fantastic job! You are truly an inspiration!

Also you are extremely sexy nowadays. <3 Great bone structure on your face, just saying. Totally loving the facial hair and your hair style too.

You're seriously over rating lol, but thanks.

You dealing with loose skin?

Since i took a long time to lose so much, not as much as you'd expect. The worst of it is at the base of the belly like 99% of other peoples. The rest all seems to be working out well and just stretch marks.

Fox318

Anyone got any preworkout recommendations?

I've used shatter but it seems too expensive.

I just tried that Mr.Hyde and that was great.

ILoveBish

Bish inspired me the other day with his energy on low carb. I forgot to ask of that 17g carb, when do you choose to have it and what is it?

If you look in the nutrition thread, i have a writeup of what i eat everyday. Its basically my chicken/cheese/jalapeno/pasta sauce meal + 2 large slices of cake everyday. The veggies from the food and the cake has the rest of the carbs. My protein shake sadly has like 3-4 carbs but it was cheap, so using it up. Rest of my food is just coffee with heavy cream and stevia, which has at most 1.5g carbs net. Keep it real simple. I do 20/4 IF, so at noon i eat, by 1pm im in the gym, using the insulin spike i get from my large meal for fuel and energy, then have the remainder of my coffee at 4pm, and thats it for calories. Rest of day is water + tea sweetened with stevia.

I should mention that this last time, i no longer cheated for months, and that is what helped me get to where i am at. It takes 6 weeks to 3 months of no cheating for full 100% adaptation. Now my body is using fat for fuel all the time, even when i need it at the gym. Its the only explanation for how strong i am on such few calories.

Chocobro

I need some help. Valgus knee (knees coming inward out of the hole of a squat) is starting to bother me so I decided that I want to fix it in the next couple or more months, however I don't know what to do for programming. I'm currently doing Phrak's Greyskull LP Variant, but only for two days per week. The valgus knee problem only shows up when I'm near my 5RM and also when I'm fatigued.

I've read that the problem comes from weak hip external rotators and I already have a rehab routine to do every night. My main question is what should I do in the gym for my squats? Just forget about linear progression for now and work on fixing my problem? Do I switch it to doing high volume with sub-maximal weight and perfect form? If so, what set/ret/percentages (if I even should) would I use? Should I use Smolov numbers (Week 1 - 6x6 @ 70%, Week 2 - 7x5 @ 75%, and Week 3 - 5x7 @ 80%)? I'll be doing my squat warm-ups with a resistance band around just below my knees.

Should I add a third day just for pause squats and maybe 1 1/4 squats? What about lunges and single leg squat variations? I want to keep the third day (which will be on a workday night) relatively short.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I tried the knees out a long time ago and I actually got knee pain from that, so that cue doesn't work for me. Also I high-bar squat, but the regulars here would probably remember.

despire

Today I went to a GNC and asked the guys there what's everything for.

I should have gone and asked long ago but since I normally don't communicate in my mother tongue and I have some level of social anxiety I basically stuck to the "protein = liquid food" idea neglecting all other supplements available in fitness stores.

but the topic I want to ask about is Mass Gainers

you guys know I want to aquire mass so as the guy was explaining to me, I was like "THIS is what I have been looking for". Thing is they rely on carbs. the strongest mass gainers had 145 gr. in one portion which seemed like a lot to me.

could anyone please share some thoughts and experiences with those?

Afaik mass gainers just have some protein with a bunch of carbs, fat and sometimes creatine thrown in the mix. Creatine will spike your bodyweight so newbs will think they are gaining muscle mass when in reality it's just water (in the muscles tho).

I'd just eat real food or mix my own mass gainers. Cheaper to just buy whey and carbs and mix them together if you need them.

Mass gainers are nothing magical. It's just a ton of calories in an easily digestable form.

Awesome to hear you are doing that well. And you should feel good about it!

Ooooh! And photos! Yay! Yes! Pretty please do share them. ^_^ It is always motivating to see other people's progress.

Thanks. Likewise to you. Always good to read and see people making progress. Saw your progress on the previous page.

Re: photos; I'll do a proper comparison in about ~2 months when 2 years will come full circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom