• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Well mates,

I'm going to a gym tomorrow for the first time in my life. Kinda nervous. I joined more than a year ago, but due to health reasons, surgery etc I couldn't actually go.

I realised I have gained some weight, and I am not as strong as I used to be. I want to get back in shape properly.

Any routines or tips you have for me? I want to lose 20lbw and just have some definition really.

I already eat healthy, and have lost most of the weight I gained due to being doormant and lazy due to surgery and medication. Almost there.

Again, I'm both excited and nervous 😰

First off, the nervousness is good. Second, be excited...not only does working out help you achieve physical goals, it helps you mentally (confidence, stress, etc.) as well. Best piece of advice besides read the OP (which you should) is give it at least 8 weeks. During that 8 weeks, force yourself to go 4 times a week and get into a routine. Good luck man. Post progress pics in a few months and ALWAYS ask questions (of us and people at the gym)

I'm not, part about them is way into the future. If you meant DNP it isn't considered PED it's just a somewhat* dangerous compound (*if you do right dosage and take other stuff almost no side effects) that will give you months progress in a week, still need to do everything else right including diet, it will just happen faster. It's very demonized and a lot of misinformation about it, mainly because people take too much and well die but that can happen with a lot of things. I'm not recommending anyone to do it just being honest, plus it's internet and somewhat anonymous :)

Duuuuuude, stop with this. This is the shit that Brolic was talking about. You saying that it will give you a months progress in a week will have lurkers, new folks and especially kids looking for an edge. Keep that out of here. A ton of people on here could show you body transformations that will blow your mind...and they were done clean.

I've asked that on /r/weightlifting (thread) and the consensus is that seminars aren't worth it if you are a beginner to Olympic weightlifting and it is best to put that money into a WLing club with a coach for a few months.
I'd agree but it definitely depends on the quality of the coach. If you join a club with a crossfit minded guy just teaching a weightlifting class I think you're better off getting coached by someone like Greg Everett for a couple days.

Imm0rt4l

Just saw this terrible squat video on youtube where a guy purportedly rips his quad with 671lb squat attempt. The video is nsfl though not graphic and I wish I hadn't watched it as I'm taking tomorrow off but I'm squatting the next day.

Edit: ...and it's on wshh

demented

Duuuuuude, stop with this. This is the shit that Brolic was talking about. You saying that it will give you a months progress in a week will have lurkers, new folks and especially kids looking for an edge. Keep that out of here. A ton of people on here could show you body transformations that will blow your mind...and they were done clean.

Oh I get it, sorry I will never mention it again, used to it being allowed topic elsewhere and topic open;y. I remember couple of months ago it got front page on reddit, wonder how many people started with it after that heh, luckily it's very hard to get so that's good :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just saw this terrible squat video on youtube where a guy purportedly rips his quad with 671lb squat attempt. The video is nsfl though not graphic and I wish I hadn't watched it as I'm taking tomorrow off but I'm squatting the next day.

Seriously, I needed some mind bleach after watching that.

Do you guys use your own weight belt for weighted dips/pullups? I was wondering if I should pick one up since my gym only has one, but I don't ever see anyone carrying around their own.

That and the one at my gym is kinda shoddy.

ILoveBish

Im not at the the point where i need a belt with a clip for extra weight, but i have my own belt for lifts, and when that day comes, i'll get my own for that. I wouldnt want to touch a belt used by so many others lol.

i started going to the gym last monday with a group of friends. tomorrow i'm going in alone just to do chest day.hopefully in a year i can wear a muscle shirt and look cool.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do you guys use your own weight belt for weighted dips/pullups? I was wondering if I should pick one up since my gym only has one, but I don't ever see anyone carrying around their own.

I used to until I broke it. Now I just use the gyms. I will get another one eventually.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Is that the Poundstone one?

He always gets injured, so much potential :/

I have my own, I don't remember them being too expensive.

RoeBear

Just get chains, you'll increase your badass factor by 1000!

despire

PSMF diet and both lift 3 times a week and do cardio whenever I can.

Holy shit I just noticed this. On top of the ridiculous plan to use PED's in your situation this is almost as dumb.

Did you read Lyle's book? Did you understand it? With PSMF you need to keep your exercise to a minimum. Lifting 3x a week is the maximum amount you are allowed to exercise (if it's upper/lower split). Full body lifting is allowed max. 2x a week. Cardio is a huge no no. Lyle literally says not to do cardio because it's just too much exercise with those calories. You will fucking wreck yourself. And you might just die with the DNP added on top.

demented

Well that's the plan, open to change, like I totally forgot I'm starting internship next week so cardio will probably not happen except some walking. Workouts are gonna be light and sweet, mostly there for the physiological effect to feel like I'm doing something, and try to maintain strength as much as I can. Might cut psmf shorter depending how the progress goes, we'll see but this month is gonna be interesting and end the cut.

BumRush

Yeah we have a couple of cages as well. Thanks I will check some out, I've always done free weights but I'm attempting to delve into other methods and mix and match.

I'm more comfortable using the machines than the rack or bench. I will try working both in for a bit and see how it feels

I do free weight workouts mostly though, I just use the machines to supplement that.

Definitely understand the comfort levels with machines, but developing a comfort level with the bar bell (and dumbbells) is crucial for any kind of growth. What is your main goal for working out...health, aesthetics, strength? Sorry if this was posted already.

Szu

I watched it without sound. The description mentioned the snapping sound. I don't want to hear it.

I winced when it happened. The description also says that he tore both quads.

Szu

One of my gym buddies ordered a pair of gravity boots. The ones he got have a pretty high load capacity, he says it can hold up to 300 lbs. He's a pretty big guy. He actually wants me to try it with him.

He wants me to break them in first. I think I might break my neck in them first.

manfestival

i started going to the gym last monday with a group of friends. tomorrow i'm going in alone just to do chest day.hopefully in a year i can wear a muscle shirt and look cool.

I recently have started my journey and I am a month and 3 weeks in almost. It is a long and lonely journey at some points but we are only at the beginning friend. Muscle shirts here we come

Heysoos

Some chicks kept crowding around my general area while I was doing deadlift and it was really uncomfortable. At one point one of them even walked over the end of the bar when I put it down. You'd think they'd get the clue that that was dangerous as hell without me having to tell them to watch out.

Its amazing how better foot positioning and some more leg drive makes your bench so much stronger. I love it. I feel like I could bench all day.

despire

I watched it without sound. The description mentioned the snapping sound. I don't want to hear it.

I winced when it happened. The description also says that he tore both quads.

I watched it with sound. Sounded absolutely terrible. Like his knees ripped open. Breaking of bone and muscle..

Amazon just launched Prime Now in Austin, which delivers orders lickety split (got mine in 1 hour 10 minutes). They were offering $20 off your first order of $50. Quest bars are $25 each.

I got two boxes of Quest Bars for $30.

(They only have Cookie Dough, Brownie, and Apple Pie, but those are all good ones)

I recently have started my journey and I am a month and 3 weeks in almost. It is a long and lonely journey at some points but we are only at the beginning friend. Muscle shirts here we come

yeah. but i still need a gym partner. really want to do the weights. maybe i'll try 6 months in when ive gained more strength lol.

freshair

Today's chest day felt heavy.

The worst part about cutting is one day you'll feel good and bench goes up easily and other days (like today) it's heavvvvvvvvy.

In other news my baywatch shirt came in today and it hugs my body so good.

BumRush

Today's chest day felt heavy.

The worst part about cutting is one day you'll feel good and bench goes up easily and other days (like today) it's heavvvvvvvvy.

In other news my baywatch shirt came in today and it hugs my body so good.

One tip that has helped me maintain strength through a cut. Stick to a calorie / macro routine before you lift. If you lift in the morning, find what caloric balance makes you feel your best before hand and stick with it. For me...I'm lifting during lunch right now so I make sure to have a protein filled breakfast (3 hard boiled eggs, steamed broccoli) at 8:00 and oatmeal with a scoop of whey around 11:00. By 11:30, when I'm lifting, I feel like ILoveBish after that all you can eat Surf and Turf meal.

ACE 1991

Is there any appreciable difference in running an upper/lower split like this

Monday: upper
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: lower
Thursday: off
Friday: upper
Saturday: off
Sunday:lower

instead of

monday: upper
tuesday: lower
Wednesday: off
Thursday: upper
Friday: lower
Sunday: off

Szu

I am so ready to reboot my diet. Lack of self discipline is my fault the past 2 weeks. Ready to "start over" so to speak.

YOU-LACK-discipline-300x298.jpg

despire

instead of

I don't think so. Not in the grand scheme of things. Though the lower one might be better for scheduling reasons since the weekend is off. So it's better imo.

J. Bravo

instead of

i would do the 2nd one but thats personal preference. i'm always hungover saturday, and sunday is my day of rest. no exceptions (usually).

ILoveBish

So old scale kicked the bucket, and new scale reads much higher. Chances are my old scale was off but I couldn't compare them side by side, so I wasn't sure on the exact difference. Well, I was about to toss the old scale away today and it worked when I tried it! Old scale reads in .5 in increments.

Old scale this morning: 233.0

New scale this morning: 238.4

So I'm going to go with 5.5lb difference.

I started out at 337.5 on the old scale, so realistically new scale wise, it would have been 343lbs starting point, and down 104.6lbs now.

Feeling great and looking forward to even more fat loss.

Ixian

One of my gym buddies ordered a pair of gravity boots. The ones he got have a pretty high load capacity, he says it can hold up to 300 lbs. He's a pretty big guy. He actually wants me to try it with him.

He wants me to break them in first. I think I might break my neck in them first.
This is my first time hearing of gravity boots and I was hoping they were an adult version of these. Booooo.

freshair

One tip that has helped me maintain strength through a cut. Stick to a calorie / macro routine before you lift. If you lift in the morning, find what caloric balance makes you feel your best before hand and stick with it. For me...I'm lifting during lunch right now so I make sure to have a protein filled breakfast (3 hard boiled eggs, steamed broccoli) at 8:00 and oatmeal with a scoop of whey around 11:00. By 11:30, when I'm lifting, I feel like ILoveBish after that all you can eat Surf and Turf meal.

I've been cutting for 9 weeks now and have the same routine (lift fasted - 5am) and it must be the amount (quality?) of sleep I get as that's the only variable that I can see. Same meals m-f for the past 2.5 months lol.

Ugh. Just a few more pounds to go

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I am so ready to reboot my diet. Lack of self discipline is my fault the past 2 weeks. Ready to "start over" so to speak.
You and me both brotha. Had a bad Easter weekend and then one good Monday and two atrocious days following.

Szu

Don't worry too much, FE.

This is coming from a guy who got a salad for lunch. Then, I realized through my 7-11 app that I earned my free beverage. At the 7-11, I decided that the most economical choice would be the X-tra Large Slurpee.

So, I got a Slurpee.

With my salad.

In NYC.

Where the current temp is 40 degrees.

:p

bchamba

For those unaware, Elliott Hulse is making his return to youtube tonight at 7 pm EST. His strengthcamp channel, especially the Yo Elliot series, was a great place for me to get information from when I first started to squat and deadlift. It's also where I learned how to breathe into my balls.

For those unaware, Elliott Hulse is making his return to youtube tonight at 7 pm EST. His strengthcamp channel, especially the Yo Elliot series, was a great place for me to get information from when I first started to squat and deadlift. It's also where I learned how to breathe into my balls.

Where did he go? I was wondering why he wasn't posting any more updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom