• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

demented

to add my 2 cents,every lurker/beginner trying to figure out things and reading this:

learn and incorporate pull-ups right now into your routine, whatever the goal, whatever the program, Easily the best bang for your buck on Back days.
Can't do bw ones(can for Chins), no assist machine and don't wanna buy some rubber stuff to tie around and idk what, hold me :(
But I suspect ill be able to in a month or two, oh well

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
i wish. my family thinks im getting fat. (stuck at 165)

I really hate this. My chest and biceps have grown noticeably but so has my stomach. My sister thinks I'm becoming obese at 152lbs 5' 5".

I was reading this over thinking it applied to me but I were to cut now from skinny fat without a lot of lean mass, I would just end up looking just plain skinny. I'm not looking to get a beach body yet, I just want to get bigger. Probably gonna continue what I'm doing for a couple more months until I can properly transition off SL5x5.

This post also made me laugh:

It seems if you're skinny fat it's better to cut first and then bulk. Ever check out the micro bulk and cut technique?

RoeBear

Weighed in at 235lbs this morning with the better part of a month to go till my competition. Looking like I'm on track just fine.
That's awesome that you feel confident in your numbers. Not sure the weight you want to be at but you'll do great regardless imo.

I on the the other hand lack all confidence in my numbers. I'm pretty sure my arms are down 2 inches and I'm now sitting at 187 in the morning. I feel like a twig. I now have 12 weeks left.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That's awesome that you feel confident in your numbers. Not sure the weight you want to be at but you'll do great regardless imo.

I on the the other hand lack all confidence in my numbers. I'm pretty sure my arms are down 2 inches and I'm now sitting at 187 in the morning. I feel like a twig. I now have 12 weeks left.
But your abs are chiseled! Give and take brother.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Absolutely love them.

How much more to go, Brolic?

4lbs.
I need to be 231. I wanna get back down to 220lbs.

Only reason I feel confident is the weight is coming off as planned and I'm not losing strength and I've for about 4 weeks left.

Moving cross country soon and had to sell my olympic weights and power rack

:'(

That sucks bad bud. Hopefully it's a good reason for the move though!

I got inspired by Sean and bought the Renaissance diet e book. I totally wanna get serious about my nutrition after not giving a fuck about it while I'm lifting.

My idea of lifting nutrition was just cutting out white bread, eating wholegrain foods, loads of chicken and also protein shakes after work outs.

I come here, spend a couple of week lurking, with the occasional post and now think shit, I need to go macro and buy a food scales.

That being said, my lifts are still increasing and I'm not putting on much (visible) body fat.

Soon.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
eh, some gaffers actually will admit to pharmacology use. There's a reason why I don't participate in some of the community discussions.

Some do gave a strict as hell diet, which I applaud.

Szu

On my commute this morning, I was sitting across from this family. There was very obese young man reading something. Then, he talks to his mom. He tells her that the article he's reading says that people only need about five minutes of exercise a day. He mentions that all these people who spend a hour at the gym are wasting their time.

The mom pretty much dismissed the comment. My guess is that she's heard this before and didn't want to get into it.

It feels like he's made excuses in the past

Every year my wife and I go to the Philly Zoo. Here's the evolution of Sean

Cool stuff. Between the 5th and 6th pics there are parts of you that look better in the former while worse in the latter. Maybe the lack of hair is messing with me though lol.

My idea of lifting nutrition was just cutting out white bread, eating wholegrain foods, loads of chicken and also protein shakes after work outs.

I come here, spend a couple of week lurking, with the occasional post and now think shit, I need to go macro and buy a food scales.

That being said, my lifts are still increasing and I'm not putting on much (visible) body fat.

Soon.

There's nothing really wrong with that mindset, as long as your nutrition plan works for you really. On the other hand, I personally love white bread, hate whole grain stuff and find chicken unsatisfying in terms of general satiety heh.

On my commute this morning, I was sitting across from this family. There was very obese young man reading something. Then, he talks to his mom. He tells her that the article he's reading says that people only need about five minutes of exercise a day. He mentions that all these people who spend a hour at the gym are wasting their time.

The mom pretty much dismissed the comment. My guess is that she's heard this before and didn't want to get into it.

It feels like he's made excuses in the past

I kind of want to judge the obese man negatively, but then I remember my jefit post workout logs and I think my actual workout time clocks in relatively close to that number. The rest of the time is just rest time between sets.

Crap, obese man is gonna educate the world about exercise. Perhaps one day he'll show us.

Hey,

this is my first post in here, I thought some of you might help me out:

This semester I joined two evening courses (?) at my university (Boxing and Muay Thai). Both courses start at 8:30 pm which is uncommon for me. I usually work out before 6 pm. The last three semesters I've gone to the boxing exercises on Saturday which started at 12 pm.

TL;DR:
What/How much do you eat before exercising in the evening? When do you eat? 1 hour/2 hours prior to the exercise?

I've already gone twice to the evening boxing exercises and always felt kind of exhausted/tired which is not the case at all on the Saturdays. I'd like to strike the perfect balance between going in well energized (?) and not feeling too full.

I appreciate any recommendations!

(Btw. I'm not a native speaker. The (?)'s indicate that I wasn't sure if it's the right term or a "false friend")

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ugh had a large breakfast with my protein shake this morning and felt like throwing up during and after my workouts.

Never again.

rokkerkory

Hey,

This semester I joined two evening courses (?) at my university (Boxing and Muay Thai). Both courses start at 8:30 pm which is uncommon for me. I usually work out before 6 pm. The last three semesters I've gone to the boxing exercises on Saturday which started at 12 pm.

TL;DR:
What/How much do you eat before exercising in the evening? When do you eat? 1 hour/2 hours prior to the exercise?

I've already gone twice to the evening boxing exercises and always felt kind of exhausted/tired which is not the case at all on the Saturdays. I'd like to strike the perfect balance between going in well energized (?) and not feeling too full.

(Btw. I'm not a native speaker. The (?)'s indicate that I wasn't sure if it's the right term or a "false friend")

I would do an apple and some nuts before and then a shake right afterwards?

BumRush

Hey,

TL;DR:

As Kory said, I'd eat something small, a half hour before (almonds, hard boiled egg, etc.) and eat after, if possible.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So I've been doing my slow clean bulk for about 6 weeks now (100-200 cal surplus max a day). While I've had a couple big whooshes up and down on the scale during this time, I'm currently standing at a 3lb gain in six weeks.

Most of my lifts have gone up but my waist size has stayed the same and my clothes feel the same on me. What does this mean in terms of what I'm gaining inside? Seems weird for my waist to be about the same as it was when I started and have my clothes not feel any tighter or different on me but my weight is slowly going up.

ILoveBish

Yet I eat all mine after. Sorta proving that calories and macros are all that matter and not timing.

Yep, do what works for you. I'm sure if you give anything 2 weeks solid you'll probably get used to it, but just do what you feel works best for you personally.

DrFurbs

It's funny. I never count calories or time food. I just when I'm hungry and try eat fairly high protein.

Throw in a few shakes etc. I don't worry about missing meals and I drink alcohol every night lol.

entremet

It's funny. I never count calories or time food. I just when I'm hungry and try eat fairly high protein.

Throw in a few shakes etc. I don't worry about missing meals and I drink alcohol every night lol.

Unless you wanna get mega lean, you hunger is a pretty indicator of your caloric set point.

Throw that out the window if you're eating of processed stuff, which fucks with your hunger signaling. Another reason I don't mess with IFFYM much. I'd rather just let my appetite regulate naturally.

But you're eating basic bro staples--chicken, beef, broccoli, spinach, rice,and shakes--and hitting the gym hard, you will look better than 95 percent of the population.

I'm still doing Stronglift 5x5 since January and still enjoying the program. I'm still far from a Brock Lesnar/John Cena, but I'm finally seeing some muscle, particularly in my legs.

I'm doing 300lbs squats now, but I had to downgrade to 3x5 instead of 5x5.Is this a significant problem? I'm also worried that my benching might eventually be 3x5 as well :(

Pancakes

I'm still doing Stronglift 5x5 since January and still enjoying the program. I'm still far from a Brock Lesnar/John Cena, but I'm finally seeing some muscle, particularly in my legs.

I'm doing 300lbs squats now, but I had to downgrade to 3x5 instead of 5x5.Is this a significant problem? I'm also worried that my benching might eventually be 3x5 as well :(

You're supposed to drop to 3x5 after you stall a couple times IIRC.

SeanR1221

this is great

happened to me for a long time as well, don't let it discourage you

seems like the more built you become the better your camera becomes

Sean, awesome work man. Keep it up!

Thanks guys!

I got inspired by Sean and bought the Renaissance diet e book. I totally wanna get serious about my nutrition after not giving a fuck about it while I'm lifting.

Yeah I've really loved incorporating things from their book.

I'm juuuust about down to my third hole on my belt now. That's where I was when I bought the belt 1.5 years ago and I'm WAY stronger now.

Sitting at 217 now so 11lbs lost.

---

Damn brolic if you hit 220 that would be crazy. I'd be curious to see how you'd look

PBY

Banned
Unless you wanna get mega lean, you hunger is a pretty indicator of your caloric set point.

Throw that out the window if you're eating of processed stuff, which fucks with your hunger signaling. Another reason I don't mess with IFFYM much. I'd rather just let my appetite regulate naturally.

But you're eating basic bro staples--chicken, beef, broccoli, spinach, rice,and shakes--and hitting the gym hard, you will look better than 95 percent of the population.

I pretty much eat perfect through the week- lean protein + vegetable for every meal, my "cheat" will be a quest or 2. Then I just go insane on the weekends, just eat/drink whatever I want.

Totally working so far.

blackflag

Thanks guys!

Yeah I've really loved incorporating things from their book.

I'm juuuust about down to my third hole on my belt now. That's where I was when I bought the belt 1.5 years ago and I'm WAY stronger now.

Sitting at 217 now so 11lbs lost.

---

Damn brolic if you hit 220 that would be crazy. I'd be curious to see how you'd look

Awesome!

mdsfx

What's the consensus on dairy while cutting? I know it used to be thought that it would hinder process when trying to lose fat. That still the case?

I've come full circle reading articles about nutrition and it's amazing how much people can't agree on any of it.

Currently I'm in the calories in / calories out boat

BumRush

What's the consensus on dairy while cutting? I know it used to be thought that it would hinder process when trying to lose fat. That still the case?

I've come full circle reading articles about nutrition and it's amazing how much people can't agree on any of it.

Honestly, when I cut I still drink a ton of milk but more of the low fat variety (skim milk, part skim cheeses, etc.). I would say that Milk seems to act much differently depending on the person / body, though. Some people get super puffy when they have dairy, making them appear to not be losing any weight.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Still fasting, Cooter?

I remember when you switched to one big ass meal per day.
Most of the time. On weekends I lift earlier so I don't fast as long but for the most part I drink a ton of water throughout the day and eat everything after I workout in a 4 hour window. It works best for my body when I'm cutting or maintaining.

It all depends on your goals. If you wanted to be between 10-12% you would need to start counting. If you just want to be a big muther-Fer like yourself and hover around 15% then what you're doing is perfect.

mdsfx

I don't drink much milk, but I eat 1 cup of non fat plain Greek yogurt each day. Not sure if protein shakes work into this at all? Or are they processed enough to no longer be considered dairy?

J. Bravo

Was talking to this guy around my age today at work. Asked him why he wanted to do this manual labor. One of the reasons was "I gotta get big like you man" I said thanks and told him to lift but on the inside I was like 50/50 hyped/wanting to tell him I'm not even close to big. But yeah that was cool haha.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yet I eat all mine after. Sorta proving that calories and macros are all that matter and not timing.

That doesn't prove anything, unless you're saying that you and ILoveBish are the same.

What's the consensus on dairy while cutting? I know it used to be thought that it would hinder process when trying to lose fat.

Currently I'm in the calories in / calories out boat

These two lines don't quite compute with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom