• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lost 3kg (6.6lbs) over three days of bikepacking. Seems to have been mostly muscle due to poor fuelling. :(

Stupid complete lack of shops in the countryside.

Have also damaged my knee to the point where I can't walk.... so no exercise of any sort this week I think. Maybe some curls, I don't know. :p

You sure it's your knee? Check your hamstrings, quads, calves, and IT band for tightness/trigger points. They might be the cause.

I have done, but cheers anyway. Was doing a battery of knee rehab stretches / exercises (including foam rolling, and work on quads, calves, IT band and hamstrings) for about 10 days before the event.

To be honest, more than anything else I think I just need a break and a bit of rehab. I've pushed myself up to pretty much competition fitness over the last 6 months and my body is starting to suffer for it now.

@ILB: Ironically these problems only really started when I ramped up the weights. From what I've been told, I've become too quad dominant in my strength and it's fucking up my knees. I appreciate I can work to change that, but it's going to take time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What do you guys do when you start hitting plateaus on certain lifts? My squat is starting to stall and I'm on 5x5. The program itself recommends deloading 10% off and working your way back up. But my lifting buddy seems to believe that a decrease in reps and continual increase in weight is a better option.

BumRush

What do you guys do when you start hitting plateaus on certain lifts? My squat is starting to stall and I'm on 5x5. The program itself recommends deloading 10% off and working your way back up. But my lifting buddy seems to believe that a decrease in reps and continual increase in weight is a better option.

For me? De-load and increase reps. I also change my accessories to help the part of the lift that's giving me trouble. Are you able to pin-point your weak area? Quads, hamstrings, lower back?

No Love

Banned

For me? De-load and increase reps. I also change my accessories to help the part of the lift that's giving me trouble. Are you able to pin-point your weak area? Quads, hamstrings, lower back?

Agreed. I find going down 10-20% and adding more reps will prepare my foundation for the next step up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
And food? Are you supposed to eat super clean or eat certain foods? Sorry for all of the questions lol

No worries man. Starting today low carb low sodium high protein and fat to make weight a lot easier. Clean eating. Salad, fish, eggs, etc. Friday after weighin high fat, high carb, high protein, mass amounts of water.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Definately not my lower back. I can bounce back out of the hole without issue but start having trouble around midway up when getting back to starting position. Honestly, it's probably my hamstrings lagging behind.

I'll try adding some leg curls and knocking 10% off with more reps.

BumRush

Definately not my lower back. I can bounce back out of the hole without issue but start having trouble around midway up when getting back to starting position. Honestly, it's probably my hamstrings lagging behind.

I'll try adding some leg curls and knocking 10% off with more reps.

Stiff leg DL or power cleans would be my suggestion

HappyHunting

Neo Member
What type of "aesthetics" do you want? Big, ripped, lean, beefy?

Some more size, but leaner. Lean is done in the kitchen but I get the impression accessories would help "refine" or compliment the big exercises... The SS template is rigid and while strength gains are awesome I wouldnt mind hitting them slower... bleh sorry of this makes no sense.

I think I want the best of both worlds and am unsure if its possible.

BumRush

Some more size, but leaner. Lean is done in the kitchen but I get the impression accessories would help "refine" or compliment the big exercises... The SS template is rigid and while strength gains are awesome I wouldnt mind hitting them slower... bleh sorry of this makes no sense.

It's understandable...but it's hard to do both. If you focus a ton on cardio and accessories (with super sets, drop sets, etc.) you will get lean, but you will have a tough time sticking to SS's progression plan. Stick with it and try to eat as clean as possible. Do HIIT whenever you do cardio. Don't drink for a while. Get A TON of sleep. That's the best advice I can offer you.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
It's understandable...but it's hard to do both. If you focus a ton on cardio and accessories (with super sets, drop sets, etc.) you will get lean, but you will have a tough time sticking to SS's progression plan. Stick with it and try to eat as clean as possible. Do HIIT whenever you do cardio. Don't drink for a while. Get A TON of sleep. That's the best advice I can offer you.

I do appreciate the advice and will use it. Im doing no cardio aside from volleyball, so ill look into HIIT. Not drinking is easy, I dont. Ill finish out the program as is.

Well, I started my cut yesterday and I'm planning to be super strict for the next 8 weeks until my summer holiday begins. I'm hoping to lose at least 12 lb which would take my weight under 100 kg (220 lb) but my other goals are to get in much better cardiovascular shape and lower my blood pressure. I've been neglecting my cardio for the past year or so and it definitely shows. I just started jogging again a few weeks ago and it took me almost 30 minutes to run this 4K course which I had previously run in under 19 minutes. It's just pure agony to run after a long break but that's the price you pay for for sitting on your ass all year.

And I really got to get my blood pressure down. I went to see a doctor yesterday since I've been having fairly frequent heart palpitations since last Saturday and while the doc said there should be nothing to worry about he said that my blood pressure should be lower. Those heart palpitations are probably due to the stress and poor sleeping (me and my fiance broke up a two weeks ago) and it hasn't helped that recently I've been just lying on the sofa and eating like shit most of the time. I really got to start taking better care of myself and now that I'm single I should have plenty of time for that. No more excuses about being too busy.

BumRush

High Blood Pressure.

Rabbit, a few months back I was diagnosed with high blood pressure as well. In 6 weeks I lowered it by over 20 points (both systolic and diastolic). Hopefully what I did will work for you:

• Eat better - less fried food, junk food, soda, etc. More whole foods and salad. Some foods that lower BP are bananas, kale, avocado, plain greek yogurt. Try to have each of these 1X per day.
  • Exercise 5 days a week - HIIT and high intensity lifts (Super sets, drop sets, high rep sets, etc.)
  • Cut down on caffeine. If you're a 2+ a day coffee drinker, cut it to 1
  • If you drink alcohol, stick to wine and beer as whiskey, etc. are terrible for BP
  • DRINK HIBISCUS TEA - seriously, drink 3 bags of hibiscus tea a day. Recent studies have shown that Hibiscus tea lowers BP as much as leading BP medications

GOOD LUCK!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Rabbit, a few months back I was diagnosed with high blood pressure as well. In 6 weeks I lowered it by over 20 points (both systolic and diastolic). Hopefully what I did will work for you:

• Eat better - less fried food, junk food, soda, etc. More whole foods and salad. Some foods that lower BP are bananas, kale, avocado, plain greek yogurt. Try to have each of these 1X per day.
  • Exercise 5 days a week - HIIT and high intensity lifts (Super sets, drop sets, high rep sets, etc.)
  • Cut down on caffeine. If you're a 2+ a day coffee drinker, cut it to 1
  • If you drink alcohol, stick to wine and beer as whiskey, etc. are terrible for BP
  • DRINK HIBISCUS TEA - seriously, drink 3 bags of hibiscus tea a day. Recent studies have shown that Hibiscus tea lowers BP as much as leading BP medications

GOOD LUCK!

Mmmmm biscuit tea.....

Hopefully what I did will work for you:

Yeah, I've already dropped all junk foods and sodas and my diet mainly consists of chicken, tuna, fish, salad, nuts, berries and some fruits. Will have to look into that hibiscus tea, never heard of that before. Cutting down on caffeine and alcohol won't be a problem since I don't drink any coffee or beer. I used to drink a lot of energy drinks a few years ago but luckily I got rid of that addiction earlier.

When it comes to weight training, I plan to do four weight lifting sessions per week and I will probably add some super sets on my accessory movements. The main lifts will still consist of three sets of fives since I don't want to lose too much strength. I will also do some interval rowing on C2 rower once I can row for more than 10 minutes without dying. I had a go at the rower this weekend and was done after 7-8 minutes... damn, it's hard work. I wish a had bigger apartment and I would buy a C2 rower myself.

There's also one thing at work that will probably help with my blood pressure. Last year we got adjustable office desks at work and I'm aiming to work standing up at least half of my working day. It doesn't do much good for your blood pressure if you first sit for eight hours and then continue lying on the sofa for the rest of the evening once you're at home. Anyway, hopefully I can know down at least that 20 points too before my holiday begins.

stn

In addition to a workout routine, I'd like to focus on trimming my small beer gut. I'm thinking to do 15 minutes of crunches and sit-ups every day, followed by planking for about 1-2 minutes, 3 sets. That gives me 20 minutes of ab exercises a day. Of course, going back to a healthy diet, too.

Sounds decent?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In addition to a workout routine, I'd like to focus on trimming my small beer gut. I'm thinking to do 15 minutes of crunches and sit-ups every day, followed by planking for about 1-2 minutes, 3 sets. That gives me 20 minutes of ab exercises a day. Of course, going back to a healthy diet, too.

Sounds decent?

Won't do shit for your gut. Watch what you shove in your pie hole.

Mmmmmm pie.

Sounds decent?
Abs exercises will make your abs stronger, only marginally bigger. It won't make the fat on your belly go away. You have to lose fat to do that, by using more calories throughout the day than you eat.

stn

I wish I had you guys at the gym, lol. I had a good friend workout with me to show me proper form and technique, but all these little things still elude me. Thanks for the help guys.

BumRush

Won't do shit for your gut. Watch what you shove in your pie hole.

Mmmmmm pie.

Lol I'm actually laughing. Every post goes back to carbs right now.

I agree though. Crunches don't do shit unless you're already at a low body fat and looking to do some fine tuning. Eat well and exercise hard.

ILoveBish

Lol I'm actually laughing. Every post goes back to carbs right now.

I agree though. Crunches don't do shit unless you're already at a low body fat and looking to do some fine tuning. Eat well and exercise hard.

More fitgaf members joining the group GAC (Gaffers Against Carbs)? Another beautiful day indeed.

Back on the cut grind. Feel really good about it. Although the new cake i made does not freeze well AT ALL. Going to possibly switch to a coconut cake instead.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
More fitgaf members joining the group GAC (Gaffers Against Carbs)? Another beautiful day indeed.

Back on the cut grind. Feel really good about it. Although the new cake i made does not freeze well AT ALL. Going to possibly switch to a coconut cake instead.

No, not only no, but hell no.

Just cycling them.

GrapeApes

Back to form. Deadlift 440x1x3, 460x1x1. It only took me 2 weeks to get back my strength after a vacation. Nothing stopping the gain train now.

despire

I think you could stick with SS (or another LP) for a while still until you can't make any more process. At least one more reset per lift. You can just add a little bodybuilding stuff to the end. Some armwork etc for a few sets.

Other option is to move to Greyskull LP which is similar to SS with a few good modifications. It also allows for more optional stuff since it's only two main lifts per day. This is what I recommend for you at the moment.

5/3/1 is good but it's so much much slower. At least if you decide to do it, skip the deload weeks for now.

No Love

Banned
Anyone else get wired up for the gym by smoking a bowl of a good sativa? Makes lifting so much better too. Even lets me rep more and higher weights becauae my pain tolerance and muscle control go way up. Also, flexing after working out feels so good. I can't be the only one that enjoys the 5x better muscle control too. You feel so much more in control of your muscles. It's like the difference between SD and HD.

J. Bravo

Anyone else get wired up for the gym by smoking a bowl of a good sativa? Makes lifting so much better too. Even lets me rep more and higher weights becauae my pain tolerance and muscle control go way up. Also, flexing after working out feels so good. I can't be the only one that enjoys the 5x better muscle control too. You feel so much more in control of your muscles. It's like the difference between SD and HD.

i do. i can feel individual blood cells rushing through my body when I get a pump.

edit: not before squats tho haha.

McLovin

Been doing carb back loading for the past week. I was doing 20 carbs total probably like 10 net on keto, and I got pissed off at the weight fluctiations. I'm in shock that it's actually working. Weights coming off gradually, but I'm gaining a noticeable amount of muscle. And it seems to work better if the post workout carbs are high glycemic. Its crazy how the body works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom