• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

Been doing carb back loading for the past week. I was doing 20 carbs total probably like 10 net on keto, and I got pissed off at the weight fluctiations. I'm in shock that it's actually working. Weights coming off gradually, but I'm gaining a noticeable amount of muscle. And it seems to work better if the post workout carbs are high glycemic. Its crazy how the body works.

So, at least to my understanding..

Carb loading is replenishing glycogen stores in your skeletal muscle, which pulls water into them as well. Glycogenesis can't happen with fat, so you don't get that storage, instead you end up with on demand conversion of fats via lipogenesis when working out.

This is why when folks start cutting they commonly complain about feeling deflated.

What are you eating that you can say 10-20g net carbs? No veggies?

ILoveBish

Mmmm, seem to be back in ketosis. Sunday morning, weighed in at 247lbs, last night my piss smelled like unicorn piss and this morning down to 240.8. We in there.

Ordered smore quest bars hopefully they're good.

Carb loading is replenishing glycogen stores in your skeletal muscle, which pulls water into them as well. Glycogenesis can't happen with fat, so you don't get that storage, instead you end up with on demand conversion of fats via lipogenesis when working out.

This is why when folks start cutting they commonly complain about feeling deflated.

They don't count fiber.

mdsfx

If greens are your only carb source it's not very hard. When I was doing low carb you get plenty of joy out of eating all the fatty meats you want.
So no tomatoes, no dairy, no peanut butter or nuts...? If that's the case, that would be tough for me.

Azulsky

If greens are your only carb source it's not very hard. When I was doing low carb you get plenty of joy out of eating all the fatty meats you want.

I mean I consider myself to be low carb on non-lifting days and I'm eating 80g all fiber, sugars included.

You must be only counting the reported sugars, because I get 20g of net carbs from veggies daily easily.

I lost the ability to do exercise without carbs, was pretty easy when I was a fatass but now without I just crash mid workout.

I mean I consider myself to be low carb on non-lifting days and I'm eating 80g all fiber, sugars included.

You must be only counting the reported sugars, because I get 20g of net carbs from veggies daily easily.

I lost the ability to do exercise without carbs, was pretty easy when I was a fatass but now without I just crash mid workout.

I count veggies towards my carbs and calorie intake. After all, when they are cooked their composition changes and they release sugars and the starches are more available to the body.

J. Bravo

Anyone else get wired up for the gym by smoking a bowl of a good sativa? Makes lifting so much better too. Even lets me rep more and higher weights becauae my pain tolerance and muscle control go way up. Also, flexing after working out feels so good. I can't be the only one that enjoys the 5x better muscle control too. You feel so much more in control of your muscles. It's like the difference between SD and HD.
Didn't post it last night because I was high, but here is an article you should read. https://www.t-nation.com/training/lifters-guide-to-marijuana
I've made some pretty good gains while lifting high, but I have to wonder if I would have more gains if I saved the weed for after. Might be a good experiment to run in conjunction with my no alcohol for at least 30 days.

mdsfx

Carb question regarding My Fitness Pal:

So today I have a total of 62g carbs, 15 from fiber, and 33 from sugars. How is the rest accounted for? And does this put my net at 47g?

blackflag

So today I have a total of 62g carbs, 15 from fiber, and 33 from sugars. How is the rest accounted for? And does this put my net at 47g?

Your net is total minus fiber so yep 47g.

The rest would be non sugar and non fiber carbs. Depends on what you ate really. Complex carbs probably.

mkenyon

Banned
So, after totally tapering off of adderall before I started lifting, I wanted to experiment with it last night to see how it affected my routine.

I noticed myself rushing on lifts, which was the big thing. The other thing is that my muscles were cramping up in some of the lifts, especially on squats and the bench. I was most definitely not low on water or electrolytes either. Could have still been coincidence, but seemed odd. However, I totally killed it in cardio. 15 incline, 3.7-4.0 speed, 35 mins. Heart rate was up about 10 BPM, except my peak at ~185 is the same as it is when I don't take it. It got to the peak earlier than it usually does though.

All in all, I disliked how it affected my routine. Definitely going to go back to no addy for that.

ILoveBish

Doesn't that limit you to meat & greens only?

I eat plenty of veggies and meat/eggs.

fuck eating that low in carbs

hate feeling and looking flat

I don't feel or look flat on low carbs. Get on my level bro.

47 net, yep.

ECA all day errryday but I'm never messing with Clen.

I'm so curious for ec stack but so scared.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Sorry Bish, you might be a freak of nature but the normal person looks much flatter without carbs
I'm right there with Bish. Carbs make me look more puffy but I don't look flatter without. If anything everything is tighter and looks better.

Stop.

It's a different style of diet and for most people a lifestyle choice. You may look different than someone with carbs for whatever reason (though I don't think there's much a difference.... and people claiming there is haven't done both diets) but you're not going to look awful. You can still make all the great gains/losses and look good doing it.

I've done both and I looked pretty fucking ripped cutting on both diets. Personally, I felt better on the carb diet, but the results in terms of aesthetics were pretty similar.

Posted this a while ago and didn't see anything, so I'll give it a shot again.

Any recommendations for decreasing my 1-mile time? I have a buddy that I want to start competing with in running a mile. We already run sprints together on a local track and I usually beat him, but he can own me in a mile. My time is around 8 minutes, and he's down at 6:30. I'm usually way out of breath by about 800 meters.

J. Bravo

Any recommendations for decreasing my 1-mile time? I have a buddy that I want to start competing with in running a mile. We already run sprints together on a local track and I usually beat him, but he can own me in a mile. My time is around 8 minutes, and he's down at 6:30. I'm usually way out of breath by about 800 meters.

do more distance training. run 3-8 miles like 3x a week and sprint 2x. then have a long slow distance day on saturday, like 8-12 miles. rest sunday. that's what we did for cross country and track in hs and i got my mile down to 5:10 my junior year while taking off the offseasons and not giving a fuck during practice.

also, be tougher. distance running is hugely mental. sprints are too, but anything above a mile requires extreme mental fortitude lol.

mdsfx

Make incremental changes in intensity from a comfortable pace. Use a device to track your pace and even heart rate if you are willing. Also do interval sprints on other days, including hills/slight inclines. Sounds like you need cardio conditioning and not necessarily muscle conditioning.

Bottom line - keep running. Just be careful not to overdo it. My current injuries are a great example of that.

I'm no pro, bit I did just run a 10k (6mi) with an average pace of 7:49/mile.

Make incremental changes in intensity from a comfortable pace. Use a device to track your pace and even heart rate if you are willing. Also do interval sprints on other days, including hills/slight inclines. Sounds like you need cardio conditioning and not necessarily muscle conditioning.

Bottom line - keep running. Just be careful not to overdo it. My current injuries are a great example of that.

I'm no pro, bit I did just run a 10k (6mi) with an average pace of 7:49/mile.

do more distance training. run 3-8 miles like 3x a week and sprint 2x. then have a long slow distance day on saturday, like 8-12 miles. rest sunday. that's what we did for cross country and track in hs and i got my mile down to 5:10 my junior year while taking off the offseasons and not giving a fuck during practice.

also, be tougher. distance running is hugely mental. sprints are too, but anything above a mile requires extreme mental fortitude lol.

Thanks! That's all fantastic advice. I did track in High School, but I was a sprinter, so I never had to do anything longer than a mile. That was 10 years ago, and I'm just now getting back into it, so the struggle is real.
I'll start adding longer runs to my regiment, rotating between those and sprint intervals.

mkenyon

Banned

+1

This is how I got down to ~21 min 3 mile runs. In the end, it's all about accepting suffering and controlling breathing. Long distance running is mostly pain endurance and learning to keep going despite your body telling you otherwise.

And *always* sprint to finish the run.

Crazy 8s are good too. 8 loops on a 1/4 mile track, jog the curves, sprint the straights.
WOW

Also don't you think running 5x per week might be at least one day too much?
Nope.
Speaking of carbs:

http://youtu.be/o7VcIQNuoPs

Might try and make that for next week
Except, use coconut oil or butter instead of Olive Oil. Olive Oil is really great for you, until you heat it. Then it's filled to the brim with carcinogens.

WOW

Nah. Running is a lot different than strength training... As long as you change up the type of running and break once a week, you're fine. My purpose isn't to achieve any sort of body image or anything, just to stay active and compete with my buddy.

J. Bravo

WOW

5:10 isn't particularly good, and i'm not being modest at all. 5:10 didn't even get me to state. that is attainable for anyone who trains even half heartedly. for reference, my fastest 5k time was like 19:45. that was enough for the top spot on JV.

and no, if all you're doing is running, 5x a week is not too many times. I suggested 6x a week, which is also not too many times. now, if you want to lift as well, uhhh yeah cut the running down to non leg days at least. and if you run before a leg day, run in the morning on day 1, then do legs in the evening on day 2. also eat a fuckton and sleep a fuckton. your recovery and nutrition have to be on fucking point if you want to run for distance and gain muscle.

I guess maybe if you're old, don't stretch, foam roll, or do any type of recovery stuff. and make sure to warm up and cool down adequately.

ILoveBish

All these accusations of being freaks and genetically gifted. I thought we were better then this bros. And yes, I'm with cooter and spiritweaver. Until you guys have done the work, you can't tell us how it is. I've been on both sides of the fence, and I do not look flat or feel flat.

EC stack is tame dude. Forget the aspirin and work up to the full dose if you're sensitive to stimulants. Even smaller doses can help w/appetite & give you a little boost.

http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack

I'll take a peak.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've gotta say, FitGaf is filled with awesome looking dad bods!

___

And Bish, just accept your genetic freakyness!

McLovin

That was when I was doing keto, now I'm at 100-140ish grams.
I would do like 2 eggs 2 strips of bacon some spinach and cheese, coffee black w/ heavy whipping cream no sugar. lunch would be chicken or beef with spinach, and a low carb dressing. Dinner would be the same. No snacks, no juice, just water - coffee - and the occasional no carb flavorless protein shake. Did that for a few months. I use to eat nuts but I cut them out. Almost all my carbs came from the spinach.

They don't count fiber.
Thats how its suppose to be done, but I actually kept it under 20 counting fiber. If I didn't I would have been under 10 almost always. In retrospect I went too extreme with it. I didn't even consume alcohol sugars like splenda because they stalled me out. Started using Erythritol near the end though, which is great because the body can't digest it.

mkenyon

Banned
They have a bit more of that "fake sugar" flavor than the Cookie Dough/Oreo/PB Supreme ones. But still pretty good. Good enough to where I keep them in my rotation.

I buy a box of those, PB&J, PB Supreme, Oreo, and Cookie Dough at a time, so I don't get sick of any of them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They have a bit more of that "fake sugar" flavor than the Cookie Dough/Oreo/PB Supreme ones. But still pretty good. Good enough to where I keep them in my rotation.

I buy a box of those, PB&J, PB Supreme, Oreo, and Cookie Dough at a time, so I don't get sick of any of them.

I've got mint chocolate coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom