• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Stop.

It's a different style of diet and for most people a lifestyle choice. You may look different than someone with carbs for whatever reason (though I don't think there's much a difference.... and people claiming there is haven't done both diets) but you're not going to look awful. You can still make all the great gains/losses and look good doing it.

I've done both and I looked pretty fucking ripped cutting on both diets. Personally, I felt better on the carb diet, but the results in terms of aesthetics were pretty similar.

I've done both, I was on keto for 2 years straight. I looked much different but you get used to it and don't notice it.

But on carb cycling where it fluctuates a lot day to day it is way more noticeable.

I mean, if it didn't have an effect, competitors wouldn't carb load hours before a comp but I'm sure it can vary person to person.

I've done both, I was on keto for 2 years straight. I looked much different but you get used to it and don't notice it.

But on carb cycling where it fluctuates a lot day to day it is way more noticeable.

I mean, if it didn't have an effect, competitors wouldn't carb load hours before a comp but I'm sure it can vary person to person.
It is definitely a much more noticeable thing while cycling.

Honestly I never look or feel different except when I'm bloated from carb intake. Maybe it does vary from person to person, *shrugs*. Carb loading/depletion for competitions is a completely different environment though. I don't think an average person should be concerned with looking "flat".

EDIT:

Keto:
286763_10150803582850082_98143761_o.jpg

Carbs:
65168_10152306692620082_1272542557_n.jpg

My fat ass now. :(
1619365_10154686929345082_2909237610334922041_n.jpg

I have missed the Fedex guy two days in a row. I'm pissed. All I want is some milk chocolate goodness.

On another note, I'm going to start meal prepping. Never done it before, but cooking each meal has started to become a chore now that I'm a lot busier.

How often do you guys do it? Every week? 2-3 days? Day? How do you store them?

Sadetar

I got my MRI results. I haven't yet talked with a doctor about them but my physiotherapist said that I have at least two discs that are fractured from the inside and one central 4 mm herniation. There was also some other stuff that she couldn't really understand. I will meet with the doc next Monday and will know more then. I don't have permission to do any leg related exercises or stretches. Extremely frustrating.

On the bright side, I haven't been in pain for some time because my leg is partially numb. We are most likely going to start some medication to fix that since it isn't particularly healthy. Also I will be sending my graduating thesis to university press tomorrow and get it out of my hands.

Oh and why is Zoe banned?

That thread is hilarious. Side note my coach wanted a pic from before my prep so I obliged. https://instagram.com/p/2FaihtlQvE/ Not going to lie that potential comment really made my day.
Well, those photos just made my day so... :p

Measured 8% today. Seeing definition in my legs now which is great. I had a total diet relapse/breakdown the other night and pigged out on a 1200 calorie meal at like 10pm. First time that's happened. I had a single cookie and it was like a shark smelling blood. Oh well.

EG5jfBN.jpg
Lol to your gateaway drug. :p Cookies are bad like that.

You look absolutely gorgeous though.

mvEFaq3m.jpg

Starting to notice some back gains after my max effort upper body day. Worked up to a 300 lb paused close grip bench and followed up with paused incline, dips, pull ups, and rear delt flys.
That is one great looking back. ;)

I got a nice compliment from one of the regulars at my gym. He said that I was summer ready.

I mentioned that I still have some work to do and I need a tan. The tan might actually be harder. I normally have two skin settings: pasty white and lobster. I'd prefer not to be a lobster.
Hahah, I am in some twisted way quite happy to hear I am not the only potential lobster in here. I have managed to convince myself that there is nothing wrong with being pale. :D

Circus DB arrived. Check this thing out. It's massive.

http://youtu.be/ZE4eLBZsV5k
Damn Brolic, you look so different without the facial hair and those lost pounds.

Also that thing is huge. Insane.

Oh and good luck with the competition! So excited about that!

I've got mint chocolate coming.
I might be asking too much, but can you do a review after you have tried them out? I generally love mint chocolate, but I would love to know your lads opinions before ordering them.

Honestly I never look or feel different except when I'm bloated from carb intake. Maybe it does vary from person to person, *shrugs*. Carb loading/depletion for competitions is a completely different environment though. I don't think an average person should be concerned with looking "flat".

EDIT:

Keto:

Carbs:

Your photos are always so motivational and I love your attitude... even if I wouldn't really call you a fat ass. :p

Thought I'd join the selfie train and show my summer progress:

j59UyD3TNXiXU.jpg

Down to a healthy 165lbs and stronger than ever. :)
Oooooooh! ^_^

I have missed the Fedex guy two days in a row. I'm pissed. All I want is some milk chocolate goodness.

On another note, I'm going to start meal prepping. Never done it before, but cooking each meal has started to become a chore now that I'm a lot busier.

I usually make a week worth of a few different recipes then throw them in the freezer. No set schedule, usually when I think I'm running low or have a bit of spare time.

EDIT:

Keto:

Carbs:

We aren't average brah.

ILoveBish

You look awesome in all the pics dude. Keep up the good work. I've been doing meal prep for a long time now, but keep in mind, i eat the exact same thing everyday. I eat for macros but the food ends up delicious anyway.

Depending on the food, if it can be frozen, i do very large batches. Anywhere from 5-15 days worth at a time, put 2-3 days worth in the fridge, rest in freezer. All portion controlled of course. If it does not freeze well, i do 3-4 days worth at a time. I stick with stuff i can freeze tho.

I got my MRI results. I haven't yet talked with a doctor about them but my physiotherapist said that I have at least two discs that are fractured from the inside and one central 4 mm herniation. There was also some other stuff that she couldn't really understand. I will meet with the doc next Monday and will know more then. I don't have permission to do any leg related exercises or stretches. Extremely frustrating.

Hope you're back up and running soon, but damn, sounds frustrating.

Sadetar

Sadetar. <3 I try. :) I just want everyone to be happy and reach their goals.

You all certainly aren't! You've all been doing pretty amazing things in here lately.
I am fairly sure you don't only try - being adorable is also quite natural state of being for you. <3

Hope you're back up and running soon, but damn, sounds frustrating.
Awww, thanks Bish. I am sure I will be getting better soon, I have already decided I will. :D

And yeah, I have also decided it is a matter of decision... :p

RoeBear

I usually prep my food depending on the food I'm eating. Turkey and chicken is usually done for every 3-4 days along with sweet potatoes. If I'm doing rice though that it's always done the day of along with omelets.

Chocobro

On Saturday, I cook a week's worth of rice and chicken breast and four day's worth of food. Then on Wednesday, I cook three day's worth of food. I store them in the refrigerator since it's only a few days.

RoeBear

On Saturday, I cook a week's worth of rice and chicken breast and four day's worth of food. Then on Wednesday, I cook three day's worth of food. I store them in the refrigerator since it's only a few days.
I'm not going to lie day old rice is horrible... Jasmine rice even more so for whatever reason.

I'm not going to lie day old rice is horrible... Jasmine rice even more so for whatever reason.

Don't put it in the fridge. I make a few portions to last a few days and just leave it in the rice cooker. Throw a little bit of water and warm it back up in the rice cooker. Tastes great.

Chocobro

I can see that. I could make rice every day in the rice cooker but it's more time efficient to do it all at once. I haven't been eating for taste for the last four to five months though.

On another note: I can't get over EliteFTS' (and even other website's) outrageous shipping prices. I want to buy the orange resistance band but the shipping is $10.05 via UPS. The USPS priority mail small flat rate box is only $5.95 and a band can easily fit into there. I don't understand.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Could anybody anticipate what's it about? I can't play a video right now, and I don't see the title
Neither. My guess is proof that carbs cause bloating, poor gains, slow lockouts on deads and racism.

Mik2121

Could anybody anticipate what's it about? I can't play a video right now, and I don't see the title

Reversing Type 2 Diabetes Starts with Ignoring the Guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

Can a person be "cured" of Type 2 Diabetes? Dr. Sarah Hallberg provides compelling evidence that it can, and the solution is simpler than you might think.

Dr. Sarah Hallberg is the Medical Director of the Medically Supervised Weight Loss Program at IU Health Arnett, a program she created. She is board certified in both obesity medicine and internal medicine and has a Master’s Degree in Exercise Physiology. She has recently created what is only the second non-surgical weight loss rotation in the country for medical students. Her program has consistently exceeded national benchmarks for weight loss, and has been highly successful in reversing diabetes and other metabolic diseases. Dr. Hallberg is also the co-author of www.fitteru.us, a blog about health and wellness.

B.S., Kinesiology & Exercise Science, Illinois State University, 1994

M.S., Kinesiology & Exercise Science, Illinois State University, 1996

M.D., Des Moines University, 200

Redhood

Got a heart rate monitor. So is this good or bad? I did P90 Sculpt with 4 kg dumbbells.

Heart Rate Max: 171; Avg: 140

Also looking for a correct way to measure body fat %age. Can anyone please help me with that? Are online calculators correct? Should I buy the callipers? Or go for bioelectrical one?

despire

Regarding EC stack, how do you guys dose it? I know Lyle McDonald recommends 20mg ephedrine + 200mg caffeine approx. three times a day for best results and least side effects.

Also looking for a correct way to measure body fat %age. Can anyone please help me with that? Are online calculators correct? Should I buy the callipers? Or go for bioelectrical one?
If you want an accurate BF%, you need to do hydrostatic weighing (or a DEXA scan but that's more expensive and not that much more accurate).

Otherwise you might as well just compare yourself to pictures of people in different BF% ranges, it's as accurate as other methods, which is to say not very, but it's certainly very cheap. Calipers are inaccurate. The Bod Pod is inaccurate. Bioelectric is super inaccurate.

If you're near a major city, there's usually somebody who has a truck that's like a mobile hydrostatic weighing facility touring around all the Crossfit gyms in case there's anyone who can hobble up the folding steps.

mdsfx

Otherwise you might as well just compare yourself to pictures of people in different BF% ranges, it's as accurate as other methods, which is to say not very, but it's certainly very cheap. Calipers are inaccurate.

From everything I've read, and I know that's only saying so much, calipers are much more accurate than most other "home" methods, but it boils down to consistency. Taking measurements at the same locations using the same amount of skin fold each time. I also take 5-6 measurements at each location and average them, but the numbers are almost always consistent.

Cross posting from r/fitness because my thread got deleted because "it didn't follow the rules" or something. Oh well. Looking to build muscle/gain weight. I'm 6'1"-ish, 138 pounds and 18 years old. I have Crohn's disease which strongly affects my metabolism and weight gain. I don't want to go super in-depth in to counting calories and all that, but I do want to start looking less stick-ish. Would 3 standard meals + snacks be enough for this eating wise?

For an actual exercise routine I was thinking of using http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155009423 in addition to swimming and/or abs once or twice a week (got the workout from the sidebar's "pick a program" thing). Reason for that was because I'm not huge in to running and I'm a lifeguard so I'd like to be able to swim better obviously. Would that be enough for abs or should I be doing something in addition, if so what? For at least the first week of the gym I'd go with my brother or a friend because I have no real idea what I'm doing.

Any advice or criticism? I'm not expecting or want huge gains or anything, I'd just like to be able to fill out clothes better and not look like I came out of a prison camp. Thanks everyone!

Also to give more info on my current lifting situation, I struggle benching the bar more than twice. So.

Also I have flat feet and have no idea how that will affect anything but I figured I throw that in there as well

mdsfx

I don't want to go super in-depth in to counting calories and all that, but...

...but that's exactly what matters. if you don't eat enough and hit your macros, your time in the gym will be for almost nothing. Bite the bullet and start counting. I promise, it's not difficult.

I should also add that both when I wanted to gain weight last year and when i wanted to shed fat more recently, I wasn't seeing any progress until I started logging my food. As soon as I did, everything changed. It makes such an incredible difference.

Diet is everything.

Download the "my fitness pal" app, enter your basic info and target goal weight, and start logging food. It remembers everything you've entered, so you never have to search for something twice. It takes me less than a minute to log any given meal.

Monitor your progress and adjust your calorie and macro intake accordingly.

Faiz

On another note: I can't get over EliteFTS' (and even other website's) outrageous shipping prices. I want to buy the orange resistance band but the shipping is $10.05 via UPS. The USPS priority mail small flat rate box is only $5.95 and a band can easily fit into there. I don't understand.

Rogue only charges $4.95 for shipping a band; if you buy three shipping is free.

Redhood

If you want an accurate BF%, you need to do hydrostatic weighing (or a DEXA scan but that's more expensive and not that much more accurate).

Otherwise you might as well just compare yourself to pictures of people in different BF% ranges, it's as accurate as other methods, which is to say not very, but it's certainly very cheap. Calipers are inaccurate. The Bod Pod is inaccurate. Bioelectric is super inaccurate.

If you're near a major city, there's usually somebody who has a truck that's like a mobile hydrostatic weighing facility touring around all the Crossfit gyms in case there's anyone who can hobble up the folding steps.

From everything I've read, and I know that's only saying so much, calipers are much more accurate than most other "home" methods, but it boils down to consistency. Taking measurements at the same locations using the same amount of skin fold each time. I also take 5-6 measurements at each location and average them, but the numbers are almost always consistent.

Thanks guys. Callipers it is.

Redhood

They are cheap and will give you a decent ballpark. They are not 100% by any means. BUT, they are great for measuring progress.

I hope so. The online calculators are dammn confusing. I played with them a bit and the results were making no sense.

blackflag

On the bright side, I haven't been in pain for some time because my leg is partially numb. We are most likely going to start some medication to fix that since it isn't particularly healthy. Also I will be sending my graduating thesis to university press tomorrow and get it out of my hands.

That sucks. I just dealt with this and it caused me to not lift for about 6 months. I could barely even walk at some points. My left leg had absolutely no reflex and was numb. It's a long road back but just take your time and do it right.

...but that's exactly what matters. if you don't eat enough and hit your macros, your time in the gym will be for almost nothing. Bite the bullet and start counting. I promise, it's not difficult.

I should also add that both when I wanted to gain weight last year and when i wanted to shed fat more recently, I wasn't seeing any progress until I started logging my food. As soon as I did, everything changed. It makes such an incredible difference.

Diet is everything.

Download the "my fitness pal" app, enter your basic info and target goal weight, and start logging food. It remembers everything you've entered, so you never have to search for something twice. It takes me less than a minute to log any given meal.

Monitor your progress and adjust your calorie and macro intake accordingly.

Alright fine, but I don't know what my desired weight should be, just more. I also want to put on muscle though as well. And for eating/gym/cardio, what should be the order or does it not really matter?

Keto:
Carbs:

Has anyone ever told you your serratus (serratae? seratii?) are ridiculous? Did you actually do anything specific for them or are they just a by-product of all that mass?

Alright fine, but I don't know what my desired weight should be, just more. I also want to put on muscle though as well. And for eating/gym/cardio, what should be the order?

Depends on timing, usually eating comes last just for practical reasons, you don't want an upset stomach while you're trying to work out. If you want to do weights & cardio immediately back to back do the cardio at the end so you don't use up too much energy before trying to lift heavy objects that can injure you if you don't respect them.

By cardio I don't mean 5-10 minutes on a machine to get some blood pumping & warm up your joints, that's fine. I'm talking longer sessions at higher intensities where burning calories/increasing fitness is the goal.

mdsfx

Alright fine, but I don't know what my desired weight should be, just more. I also want to put on muscle though as well. And for eating/gym/cardio, what should be the order?
Well start with whatever goal you want. Maybe an additional 10lbs? A pound of bodyweight is approximately 3500 calories (correct me if I'm wrong please), so maybe aim for an additional 3500 calories above your maintenance calories each week (an extra 500 calories per day) which will get you to your 10lb goal in 10 weeks.

I think the app does this for you based on activity level. Just be honest when selecting how active you are.

Also, I'm a huge advocate of cardio in general for overall health, but when trying to gain weight it works against you by burning calories fairly quickly. Focus on strength training mostly and if you do cardio, make sure to account for calories lost by eating more. You want to stay in a caloric surplus to gain weight.

FYI - I am no pro. Just giving advice based on experience and limited research, but that doesn't mean it's completely sound. Someone chime in if you can help.

Well start with whatever goal you want. Maybe an additional 10lbs? A pound of bodyweight is approximately 3500 calories (correct me if I'm wrong please), so maybe aim for an additional 3500 calories above your maintenance calories each week (an extra 500 calories per day) which will get you to your 10lb goal in 10 weeks.

I think the app does this for you based on activity level. Just be honest when selecting how active you are.

I guess If you want to be more aggressive and can afford to eat more, increase it to a 1.5 (750 calories extra per day) or even 2lb (1000 calories).

Dude 1 to 1.5lbs of that a week will end up as fat. A pound a week is more than enough to be maximizing muscle gains

My lifting has me gaining a little weight and running slower lately...oh well, I guess that's the price you pay for TEH GAINZ, yo.

Plan right now is to get all TEH GAINZ I can until early July, then I shift towards marathon training for Chicago in October.
I'm neither fast or strong lol

Chocobro

Rogue only charges $4.95 for shipping a band; if you buy three shipping is free.

I'm aware of that. However from Rogue Fitness the black band is $24.75, with the $4.95 shipping, it's $29.70. From EliteFTS, it's $26.97 total.

Edit: Potentially cheaper with Rogue if their product info was detailing the resistance range in pounds. EliteFTS and Iron Woody bands show it. The only way I'm able to compare the bands with Rogue Fitness is the dimensions of the bands and even that is flaky.

Iron Woody Green band: 1.75" and 50-120# resistance
EliteFTS Orange band: 1.13" and 56.8-124.9# resistance
Rogue Green band: 1.13" and 65# resistance
Rogue Black band: 1.75" and 100# resistance.

I'm aware of that. However from Rogue Fitness the black band is $24.75, with the $4.95 shipping, it's $29.70. From EliteFTS, it's $26.97 total.

I'm so used to Amazon free shipping that its painful to buy from anywhere else. I just bit the bullet the few times I've ordered from EliteFTS.

manfestival

My lifting has me gaining a little weight and running slower lately...oh well, I guess that's the price you pay for TEH GAINZ, yo.

Plan right now is to get all TEH GAINZ I can until early July, then I shift towards marathon training for Chicago in October.
I'm neither fast or strong lol

I see you over there with them gains

Chocobro

I'm so used to Amazon free shipping that its painful to buy from anywhere else. I just bit the bullet the few times I've ordered from EliteFTS.

If it's not on amazon, I find it difficult to purchase it. Amazon is so damn good.

No kidding.

Think I'll just bite the bullet and buy the grey (not the orange anymore) band from EliteFTS for $30.30 total. It's slightly cheaper shipping it to NYC but I'm not back home for another three months.

Szu

Ugh, I got the most annoying cramp on my right hamstring. It kicked in when I was sitting. For about 10 minutes, I had to stand up and walk around with my leg completely straight.

Felt like a pirate with a peg leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom