• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Okay GAF, please tell me how I can get rid of this.

IMAG0498_1.jpg

IMAG0501_1.jpg

IMAG0502_1.jpg

It really fucking bothers me. I've tried cutting 20 pounds and it just left me skinny as hell with the thing still looking like that. I've tried slowly bulking and I felt like it just got worse. After that bulk I cut again and now that's what I look like. It's still bad. I feel like I'm at a point where I either will never lose it or I'd have to cut down to a very unhealthy weight. Should I keep at it a little longer or should I just fucking bulk? I know I'm skinny but I like to think I'm at least a little fit looking. But I want your guys' opinions. I'm currently 137-138, 5'8".

IMAG0521_1_1.jpg

DOWN

Banned
Any thoughts on standard whey blend powders vs specifically whey isolates? Seem to be rather different as far as cholesterol and carbs, but I've seen mention of the proteins themselves being worse or low quality in terms of usability and have no clue if that's true.

Was all going OK, but I had to stop suddenly on the bike and I think I put my foot down awkward. Might not have been so bad if I could have just stopped there and then, but I ended up having to do another three hours of riding, and by the time I got back to the car I couldn't even get off the bike.

Am looking around for physios with specific cycling experience now.

despire

Had to go to a doctor for a check up as part of my job. Also included some lab testing for the normal stuff. Cholestherol and the rest were within the normal range. Creatinine was 97 when the normal range is 60-100 but apparently if you lift weights and eat protein your number will be higher.

One thing that was puzzling was that my blood pressure was 150/84. Apparently a bit higher than the "normal range". Don't know what to think about that.. Anyway I need to take a few more measurements during the next two weeks to see if it's right or if it was high for some other reason. Anyone got any advice to getting it down other than the normal stuff like eat less sodium?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Had to go to a doctor for a check up as part of my job. Also included some lab testing for the normal stuff. Cholestherol and the rest were within the normal range. Creatinine was 97 when the normal range is 60-100 but apparently if you lift weights and eat protein your number will be higher.

One thing that was puzzling was that my blood pressure was 150/84. Apparently a bit higher than the "normal range". Don't know what to think about that.. Anyway I need to take a few more measurements during the next two weeks to see if it's right or if it was high for some other reason. Anyone got any advice to getting it down other than the normal stuff like eat less sodium?

Sleep more, lowers stress levels. That's all I can give. You might be taking a little too much pre-workout or caffeine in the morning so try cutting back on that.

really interesting read. I can't imagine ever being that strong

Spent the last 45 minutes deciding if I wanted to by an L or XL for this t-shirt I wanted. I like snug fits but depending on the company, an L is too small. Ordering online is a pain. Oh well, I can always return it and get a size smaller if need be.

Interesting stuff and enjoyed the read. Looking forward to seeing how you progress. Ever think about getting a trainer?

I have the same issue, but only between a medium and large. SmallGaf represent!

IMAG0498_1.jpg

IMAG0501_1.jpg

IMAG0502_1.jpg

It really fucking bothers me. I've tried cutting 20 pounds and it just left me skinny as hell with the thing still looking like that. I've tried slowly bulking and I felt like it just got worse. After that bulk I cut again and now that's what I look like. It's still bad. I feel like I'm at a point where I either will never lose it or I'd have to cut down to a very unhealthy weight. Should I keep at it a little longer or should I just fucking bulk? I know I'm skinny but I like to think I'm at least a little fit looking. But I want your guys' opinions. I'm currently 137-138, 5'8".

IMAG0521_1_1.jpg

You look solid boss and as for your first two pics, there is always going to be a roll like that when you sit down. I wouldn't worry about it. As for you bulk or cut question, I don't know. After a while you can cut down but have no muscle to show off. If you feel you are at that point, it won't hurt to put on some mass.

My blood pressure is also a bit higher than normal too. Doctor recommended to sleep more and reduce my caffeine intake. We'll see if that helps on my next checkup.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

IMAG0498_1.jpg

IMAG0501_1.jpg

IMAG0502_1.jpg

IMAG0521_1_1.jpg

You look pretty lean and your pack is showing. Were you overweight beforehand? Cause it might be excess skin from that. In extreme situations, people need surgery to cut off the extra flab and its around thousands of dollars to get that done depending on the severity of the case. I'd go to your doctor and see what options you have available or you can just build more mass and see how you look after a couple months. Besides, you look fine bro, don't worry about it lol

I want my shirts to be snug! The Marshawn Lynch Beastmode shirts are finally available to buy and I want one with the correct size ASAP.

Astral

You look solid boss and as for your first two pics, there is always going to be a roll like that when you sit down. I wouldn't worry about it. As for you bulk or cut question, I don't know. After a while you can cut down but have no muscle to show off. If you feel you are at that point, it won't hurt to put on some mass.

You look pretty lean and your pack is showing. Were you overweight beforehand? Cause it might be excess skin from that. In extreme situations, people need surgery to cut off the extra flab and its around thousands of dollars to get that done depending on the severity of the case. I'd go to your doctor and see what options you have available or you can just build more mass and see how you look after a couple months. Besides, you look fine bro, don't worry about it lol

Thanks. It's good to know that I'm at least making progress. I don't think I've ever been overweight. The most I've ever weighed was 153 back in high school. I did allow myself to get chubby and ever since then I've never been able to get rid of that flab. I'm debating starting a bulk either today or next week. I'd love for my arms to get bigger and I think I'll be happy at a lean 150 or 155. I just feel like I do something wrong when I bulk because I always seem to get pretty fat even when gaining a pound or less a week. What's a good way to approach it? I was considering lowering my carbs. I also wanna start improving my form even if it means lifting a little lighter than usual. I also think part of the reason for that flab is that I simply can't seem to gain any mass in that area. When I touch it it just feels like a flat surface with some fat/skin over it.

BumRush

Besides everything else people are mentioning, hibiscus tea. I lowered mine over 20 points I'm 6 weeks by doing the usual - less sodium, more sleep, more exercise, less coffee, less whiskey - and hibiscus tea 2x a day

Fitness gaf, i need advice.
I'm doing Stronglift, works great.

One problem : my pecs.
They are growing faster than the rest, getting too big for my taste (genetics?) and i don't like the shape either. (lacking inner chest, bigger lower pecs).
I hate how it looks and i don't want a XL chest.
I switched to incline bench two weeks ago with little results.

What should i do to limit the gains and have a more balanced chest?
- continue incline
- stop adding weight
- switch to 5x1 (like deadlifts)
- use dumbells instead of a barbell
- forget about bench and switch to ( feet raised?) push ups
- stop doing chest exercice

thanks.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Thanks. It's good to know that I'm at least making progress. I don't think I've ever been overweight. The most I've ever weighed was 153 back in high school. I did allow myself to get chubby and ever since then I've never been able to get rid of that flab. I'm debating starting a bulk either today or next week. I'd love for my arms to get bigger and I think I'll be happy at a lean 150 or 155. I just feel like I do something wrong when I bulk because I always seem to get pretty fat even when gaining a pound or less a week. What's a good way to approach it? I was considering lowering my carbs. I also wanna start improving my form even if it means lifting a little lighter than usual. I also think part of the reason for that flab is that I simply can't seem to gain any mass in that area. When I touch it it just feels like a flat surface with some fat/skin over it.

Progressive overload, more volume on lower weights to help your form. Arms are difficult to grow depending on genetics, diet, regimen, etc. so just do some isolation workouts for it, will definitely take a while before you see some substantial growth. When bulking, all you need to do is go up above a little in your daily amount of calories, probably 100-300 calories, depending on how much weight you want to gain. I'd suggest doing more non-stress related activities, such as playing a sport or taking nice strolls in your neighborhood, for a very clean bulk, in addition to upping your calories. Other than that, if you want to strengthen your core, more isolation workouts on that, trying upping your squat and dead-lifts too. Lastly, always try going for a 1:1 ratio with protein and bodyweight. If you can, you can even up it more and try to go for 180-200 grams of protein a day.

They are growing faster than the rest, getting too big for my taste (genetics?) and i don't like the shape either. (lacking inner chest, bigger lower pecs).

What should i do to limit the gains and have a more balanced chest?
- continue incline
- stop adding weight
- switch to 5x1 (like deadlifts)
- use dumbells instead of a barbell
- forget about bench and switch to ( feet raised?) push ups
- stop doing chest exercice

thanks.

Post pics and/or the numbers of your lifts to make sure you aren't experiencing a little body dysmorphia. I always think I look bigger/leaner than pictures turn out, it may be because of my skin color or lack thereof. Point being, just because you see big tiddies doesn't mean you've got to take drastic measures like not progressing.

Szu

Cheating because I'm flexing but it really makes me feel like I've progressed. I wish I still had my before picture.

IMAG0528_1.jpg

Nice work.

There's nothing wrong with flexing for a progress pic.

For my pics, I have to flex, find good lighting, find the right angle, and photoshop my face so I still look under 40.

Oh and occasionally carry a newborn baby for sympathy points.

MjFrancis

Thanks guys. Finished 9th out of 11. My score is somewhat competitive. I feel decent about it. These guys were hella strong. I'll do better with a year of more focused training. Videos later.
I'm late to the party but I want to say congrats Brolic. Your meet videos were awesome and being apart of such a competition must have been exhilarating. I look forward to see what you can do next year too.

Do more back exercises (rows, rear delts) to improve your posture & balance things out a little more? Give incline bench time, upper chest is smaller & grows more slowly

I am also late but yes, congrats Brolic! I think the best part is the example you're setting for your kid(s?) They watched you set a goal, work towards it, and achieve pretty much everything you set out to, and now will watch you try to continue to improve. Valuable life lessons about effort and dedication.

Post pics and/or the numbers of your lifts to make sure you aren't experiencing a little body dysmorphia. I always think I look bigger/leaner than pictures turn out, it may be because of my skin color or lack thereof. Point being, just because you see big tiddies doesn't mean you've got to take drastic measures like not progressing.
Yeah i think about that too. Seeing the picture i think it's not that bad actually. (i never take pictures of myself)
Anyway, some pics.
WARNING : CHESTHAIR

http://i.imgur.com/9Xybvpf.jpg
http://imgur.com/hWwQPKp
http://imgur.com/jniIfsu
http://imgur.com/Gr46Apm

Shave it all off so we can see easier!
NEVER D:

You're overreacting. You don't have a problem.

I wouldn't say that's disproportionate at all. You've got no worries.

Ok thanks.
Overreacting it is. Well, when i started this i was flat as an iron and weight 135 lbs. Maybe i'm not used to see those muscle and my brain blow a fuse.

I think i'm gonna focus on incline from now on. And take pictures once a month, that's useful to keep yourself grounded.

For what purpose?

If you're bulking = Chocolate milk + protein powder and/or a chicken club sandwich

If you're losing weight = water + caffeine

I was under the impression caffeine is the worst post-workout supplement because it is anti-anabolic and stresses the body when it should be relaxing. What are the benefits?

rtcn63

I was under the impression caffeine is the worst post-workout supplement because it is anti-anabolic and stresses the body when it should be relaxing. What are the benefits?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...etes-and-weight-control-research-review.html/

In the short-term, caffeine can impact positively on a number of factors (such as delaying fatigue during exercise, increasing lipolysis, and increasing fat oxidation and caloric expenditure) but negatively on others (decreased glucose tolerance/increased insulin response, slight increase in blood pressure).

However, longer term studies suggest that habitual caffeine/coffee intake is, overall, beneficial: it decreases the risk of diabetes and may contribute to preventing weight gain. Tangentially, of course, any benefit of coffee/caffeine itself is going to be more than outweighed if you fill it up with sugar, cream and other high calorie goodies.

My take on the topic: used in reasonable amounts, caffeine pretty much does nothing but help fat loss. The impact on insulin sensitivity is overstated (in my opinion) only applying to acute studies with massive doses. The known impact of caffeine on lipolysis and improving exercise performance is so well-established as to be beyond debate.

Okay, maybe not take it after a workout, but before is good. Also, google "ephedrine caffeine stack". I take caffeine post-workout sometimes to keep myself from drifting off for the rest of the day.

Couldn't sit through that broscience, lol. Then again I don't really like his character.

People are looking at this dad bod shit in the wrong light anyway.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Couldn't sit through that broscience, lol. Then again I don't really like his character.

Maybe you should enroll at Growhio State University and become a Bulkeye? Idk, this whole dad bod thing is insulting to women if you ask me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Spent the last 45 minutes deciding if I wanted to by an L or XL for this t-shirt I wanted. I like snug fits but depending on the company, an L is too small. Ordering online is a pain. Oh well, I can always return it and get a size smaller if need be.

Interesting stuff and enjoyed the read. Looking forward to seeing how you progress. Ever think about getting a trainer?

Thanks bud, and if I knew a good strongman in the area I'd consider it.

Lol, we will see what really happens.

Great read, Brolic. I think it's a great idea to train specific for a year, now that you know more about competitions.

Thanks bud, and yeah, I'm excited.

Thanks brother, and you're more than capable, trust me.

I'm late to the party but I want to say congrats Brolic. Your meet videos were awesome and being apart of such a competition must have been exhilarating. I look forward to see what you can do next year too.

thanks MJ and it really was great, I can't wait to knock this push pull out this weekend (only doing it for fun since I'm wrecked) take a little break, and then get on the road to next year. It's exciting. I'm just glad I finally competed and I can call myself a competitive strongman.

ILoveBish

Squats went great today, 315x5. The last rep was a tad rough mentally, but I got it clean and felt incredible on the way up. Truly, I love lifting so much. Thank God I found this thread lol.

I should be at 1800 calories now, I'll have to recalculate to make sure. This is still a transition period food wise, but should be settled soon.

Eidan

I dunno. I found this WaPo article on it fairly insulting to men who exercise. The guy outright says that if you have a six-pack, it suggests that you're simply dedicating less time to more important things in life, and thus, you're unsuccessful and broke.

I dunno. I found this WaPo article on it fairly insulting to men who exercise. The guy outright says that if you have a six-pack, it suggests that you're simply dedicating less time to more important things in life, and thus, you're unsuccessful and broke.

Tight torsos and thick biceps are too busy at the gym to own businesses and keep the kitchen clean.

Odd, I'm an owner director for two companies, yet somehow still manage to stay in good shape, keep the kitchen clean and find enough time for the missus.

Sounds like he's not as much of a man as he thinks. ;)

blackflag

Spent the last 45 minutes deciding if I wanted to by an L or XL for this t-shirt I wanted. I like snug fits but depending on the company, an L is too small. Ordering online is a pain. Oh well, I can always return it and get a size smaller if need be

Yeah it's a pain in the ass I want to order some shirts from rootsoffight but I have no idea what sizes to get.

blackflag

Odd, I'm an owner director for two companies, yet somehow still manage to stay in good shape, keep the kitchen clean and find enough time for the missus.

Sounds like he's not as much of a man as he thinks. ;)

Yeah odd...I'm Director of Marketing for a Fortune 500 and I manage 2 hrs in the gym a day. Dumb article is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom