• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm actually comtemplatimg another competitionin Kentucky im August. Lawd.

Do more back exercises (rows, rear delts) to improve your posture & balance things out a little more? Give incline bench time, upper chest is smaller & grows more slowly

I am also late but yes, congrats Brolic! I think the best part is the example you're setting for your kid(s?) They watched you set a goal, work towards it, and achieve pretty much everything you set out to, and now will watch you try to continue to improve. Valuable life lessons about effort and dedication.

Missed this earlier, thanks man!

iddqd

Late to the party but congrats Brolic, great stuff and thanks for taking the time to do all the writing about it.
Super interesting to see that there is a general move back to more cardio in powerlifting/strongman.

(And that new BroScience is amazing)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Late to the party but congrats Brolic, great stuff and thanks for taking the time to do all the writing about it.
Super interesting to see that there is a general move back to more cardio in powerlifting/strongman.

(And that new BroScience is amazing)

To put shit in perspective I brought a buddy who can bench 500 squat 700 and dead 700. I smoked him in every event. Strongan is a whole other beast and while static strength is important, it's not king.
And this dude is lean as hell too.

Sadetar

I met with the physiatrist today. The main issue is a big central herniation that is connected to the nerve root S1. We immediatelly started medication with Pregabalin (Lyrica/Nervalin) to work with the numbness and needle feelings. I am not so sure about how I feel about that. It is a poison that I wouldn't want in my body. Then again the nerve needs something to help it heal, so I guess I will bite the bullet. I also don't yet know will it work for me, since I know my father couldn't eat it an he got huge side effects from it. Has anyone in here tried it?

The doctor also got me a referral to a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon will check will I need EMG or surgery. I need to say both of these scare the hell out of me. I hate/ fear needles and a surgery has high chances of just making things worse like in my father's case.

All in all I still feel quite fine and I don't have any pains at the moment (since the nerve doesn't really feel a thing currently). Then again the doctors seem to be way more worried than they have been when I have been in pain. I can go to the gym, but I absolutely can't do any leg/ass related work outs or anything that has even slight changes of curving my back in a bad way - upper body machines it is then. I will meet with my physiotherapist on 28th of May to discuss more about my programme.

It is good that there is a reason to all the odd feelings in my leg and I appreciate that I know how we are going to proceed with this. Then again I would rather keep it simple and just work with it, but I guess it is good to get the neurosurgeon's opinion and at least try the medication. But yeah, like said, I am a bit scared even though I know I will just push through this, I always do. :)

Thanks. I'm actually gonna do a push/pull PL meet this Saturday, then take a week or two off, then begin training for next year. I wanna spend a full year focusing on getting better before doing this again. I also want to significantly lower my body weight before the next one. (Sub 210).
All that was a pleasure to read.

I am also looking forward to follow your progress! Lower body weight Brolic just sounds like a beast I need to see. :D

Was all going OK, but I had to stop suddenly on the bike and I think I put my foot down awkward. Might not have been so bad if I could have just stopped there and then, but I ended up having to do another three hours of riding, and by the time I got back to the car I couldn't even get off the bike.

Am looking around for physios with specific cycling experience now.
Damn. That sounds bad. Hopefully you will be fine soon!

Okay GAF, please tell me how I can get rid of this.

IMAG0498_1.jpg

IMAG0501_1.jpg

IMAG0502_1.jpg

It really fucking bothers me. I've tried cutting 20 pounds and it just left me skinny as hell with the thing still looking like that. I've tried slowly bulking and I felt like it just got worse. After that bulk I cut again and now that's what I look like. It's still bad. I feel like I'm at a point where I either will never lose it or I'd have to cut down to a very unhealthy weight. Should I keep at it a little longer or should I just fucking bulk? I know I'm skinny but I like to think I'm at least a little fit looking. But I want your guys' opinions. I'm currently 137-138, 5'8".

IMAG0521_1_1.jpg
To me it sounds you actually weight quite little. I am two inches shorter than you are and even my goal weight is way higher than that. :p

Also I need to say that you look great in those pics. Like really nice, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry. You can start a slow bulk and if you want to perhaps go low carbs and high on protein and good fatties. Good work this far.

For comparison.
Oh my gods! Love it! You are the boss! <3

Also I laughed out loud for your sympathy points. :D

Yeah i think about that too. Seeing the picture i think it's not that bad actually. (i never take pictures of myself)
Anyway, some pics.
WARNING : CHESTHAIR

http://i.imgur.com/9Xybvpf.jpg
http://imgur.com/hWwQPKp
http://imgur.com/jniIfsu
http://imgur.com/Gr46Apm
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Those links don't work anymore which makes me oh so sad.

Yeah odd...I'm Director of Marketing for a Fortune 500 and I manage 2 hrs in the gym a day. Dumb article is dumb.
Odd, I'm an owner director for two companies, yet somehow still manage to stay in good shape, keep the kitchen clean and find enough time for the missus.

Sounds like he's not as much of a man as he thinks. ;)
Exactly.

Being in a good shape is more about priorities and how you handle your free time. Not everybody wants to work out and not everybody needs to either. Some people may want to watch the telly the two hours you are working your asses off at the gym. And that is fine if they are happy with the results. The size of your wallet or the level of your confidence has little if at all to do with how you look. Also how you look has little if at all to do with how well you do with the girls.

This whole dad bod discussion is totally absurd. People have different tastes about quite much everything anyways. Making stereotypes about what huge heterogenic group (in this case women) likes is absolutely idiotic to begin with.

I dunno. I found this WaPo article on it fairly insulting to men who exercise. The guy outright says that if you have a six-pack, it suggests that you're simply dedicating less time to more important things in life, and thus, you're unsuccessful and broke.
I'm not condoning or defending that. I just think the whole affair is in poor taste. It's basically people shaming fit people in a manner that people shame fat people. It's disgusting on all fronts.

What people need to be doing is acknowledging that people can love many different types of physiques and that it's not wrong or right to be attracted to certain people. I mean yeah there are plenty of other issues like health concerns, time and money dedication of being fit, self-esteem issues, yadda yadda.

I know it's silly. I just wish people would stop feeling entitled for having whatever body they have. Just live your life and find someone who enjoys yourself. If you are unhappy with how you look or are unhealthy fix it. Outside of that just live.

But don't mind me, I just live in a happy little bubble where I think utopia exists.

Sadetar

Fried chicken, broccoli, and light BBQ sauce for dinner. IF cutting is pretty great.
That sounds quite delicious, I agree. :p

I'm not condoning or defending that. I just think the whole affair is in poor taste. It's basically people shaming fit people in a manner that people shame fat people. It's disgusting on all fronts.

What people need to be doing is acknowledging that people can love many different types of physiques and that it's not wrong or right to be attracted to certain people. I mean yeah there are plenty of other issues like health concerns, time and money dedication of being fit, self-esteem issues, yadda yadda.

I know it's silly. I just wish people would stop feeling entitled for having whatever body they have. Just live your life and find someone who enjoys yourself. If you are unhappy with how you look or are unhealthy fix it. Outside of that just live.

But don't mind me, I just live in a happy little bubble where I think utopia exists.
That was well written and quite much nailed my opinion about the whole discussion as well. Thank you.

Yeah it's a pain in the ass I want to order some shirts from rootsoffight but I have no idea what sizes to get.

heh, I was looking there as well but am waiting for The Rock's shirt to come out before doing some sort of bulk order. The size charts are somewhat helpful but even then, I am still guessing. Guess I will find out when it gets here.

Eidan

I don't disagree with a single thing you said.

ILoveBish

I know I've said this plenty of times, but seriously, the lack of bloat all day long is a life charger. By the end of the day, my pants used to get tight, now they're falling off the entire day. This is a really big deal for me. I didn't want to switch to smaller pants due to this. Now I'm confident I'll be able to fit in the new jeans the entire day.

So glad I decided to give it a shot. Dairy free is now a thing. I will likely keep it like that for a long time.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
When I eat like MTP I put on 30 pounds. Your job must be brutal dude.

I've been laid off for two months now, keeping the weight on has been so easy. Recently moved back home to the east coast after being away for 15 years, we have ocean beaches and not farm land here! I'm also not past the 55th parallel north anymore... :D

Bowser

I know I've said this plenty of times, but seriously, the lack of bloat all day long is a life charger. By the end of the day, my pants used to get tight, now they're falling off the entire day. This is a really big deal for me. I didn't want to switch to smaller pants due to this. Now I'm confident I'll be able to fit in the new jeans the entire day.

So glad I decided to give it a shot. Dairy free is now a thing. I will likely keep it like that for a long time.

I know you're on the keto train, so if you've also removed dairy, what do you eat besides meat, nuts, and coconut flour now? lol

iddqd

Canada Gaf, what's the best place/cheapest to order supplements and protein online?

Ive been on a HEMP PROTEIN trip recently, super cheap at Bulk Barn. They also have Whey and a ton of other options. I did the math back then and it was cheaper then buying it packaged (the hemp was).

blackflag

heh, I was looking there as well but am waiting for The Rock's shirt to come out before doing some sort of bulk order. The size charts are somewhat helpful but even then, I am still guessing. Guess I will find out when it gets here.

i dont understand what it means by slim fit. most of the tanks are slim fit. but whats the diff if the actual size is the same....i know nothing.

Matugi

Cutting sucks. Just feel like shit not having the energy to do the same intensity workouts I was doing when I was porking out in the fall and winter.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, after that strongman competition I'm not even excited for this powerlifting comp. it just feels boring in comparison. Plus I miss the excitement and crowd of the strongman comp already. That shit was amazing.

Azulsky

i dont understand what it means by slim fit. most of the tanks are slim fit. but whats the diff if the actual size is the same....i know nothing.

Seems like the standard measurement is the shoulder. and chest The difference is in waist and hip circumference

mdsfx

Sitting the the physical therapy lobby waiting to meet with the doc about my runners knee / IT band issues. Wish me luck. Im running that race in 2 weeks even if I have to limp across the finish...

Seems like the standard measurement is the shoulder. and chest The difference is in waist and hip circumference

Azulsky is right. Just be aware that a L in slim will hug you extremely close while a regular L will be a bit loser. For me, if something is in a slim fit, I go a size up or two. They aren't as "wide" if that makes any sense.

despire

Man, after that strongman competition I'm not even excited for this powerlifting comp. it just feels boring in comparison. Plus I miss the excitement and crowd of the strongman comp already. That shit was amazing.

A bit late but wanted to congratulate you on the comp. Watched the videos the other day and it seemed awesome. You're gonna go far dude :)

ILoveBish

I don't think I've ever felt bloated aside from maybe right after a ridiculously large meal. Concept is largely alien to me.

You sound genetically gifted.

I know you're on the keto train, so if you've also removed dairy, what do you eat besides meat, nuts, and coconut flour now? lol

My new food plan is low carb stir fry, almond milk coffee and coconut macaroon cake. I'm going to do a write up this week in the nutrition thread for it. It's incredibly delicious.

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMCTODQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
My new food plan is low carb stir fry, almond milk coffee and coconut macaroon cake. I'm going to do a write up this week in the nutrition thread for it. It's incredibly delicious.
Is that the recipe you posted about two weeks ago?

Gotta say, I tried it, and it was really fucking bland :(

But then, I have dairy and carbs daily.

Also, reading more about Crickets. How long before everyone is eating these?

crickets.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Too late smartass, I used the first one and got 320x3. I'm 160 so that's 2x BW out of pure spite.

Frozen increases gains confirmed.

I've had my shuffle randomly play this song in the middle of workouts before, it's not too bad :p.

ILoveBish

It's not really something I ever really hear men talking about. I know women do, but that's for obvious reasons.

Bloat is real. To deny this is folly.

Is that the recipe you posted about two weeks ago?

Gotta say, I tried it, and it was really fucking bland :(

But then, I have dairy and carbs daily

Yep. It's delicious and sweet to me. I haven't tasted sugar in a long time. The stir fry I get everyone loving it, but the coconut cake, I've been told it's not sweet enough. If you're eating donuts and cake, then yeah, it might not be sweet enough.

mkenyon

Banned
It's decent, but I'd almost cut the recipe in half. I could go through half of it pretty easily in a couple days cause I love coconut so much.

Maybe for people not avoiding carbs, I'd go for a good sweetener like agave syrup or even honey.

Szu

On a side note, my wife and I took her mom out for Mother's Day on Sunday. We went to an Australian restaurant. We ordered Kangaroo loin. It tasted ok, but now I'm probably never going to visit Australia now.

The last thing I need is one of these guys chasing me down because I ate one of their cousins.

a27b46227cbd5ce9c6c37885a5df4a14ca326ea459c936f0c41b848d89d0d128.jpg

blackflag

Azulsky is right. Just be aware that a L in slim will hug you extremely close while a regular L will be a bit loser. For me, if something is in a slim fit, I go a size up or two. They aren't as "wide" if that makes any sense.

Ok cool, I was wondering if that was the case. I don't want a tight ass shirt. It's going to be tight enough in the shoulders and chest anyways.

ILoveBish

Genuinely though. I'm not being an arse about it, it's completely alien to me in day to day life. Sounds like you really did have a problem with dairy.

Yep, seems that way. I'm glad I was able to experiment and actually see the results firsthand. I'm enjoying my delicious cake and coffee right now too mmmmm.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pretty sure I'm gonna do this strongman competition in August in Kentucky. Gives me 3 months to prep. Have t committed yet, but definitely eyeing it.

Ok cool, I was wondering if that was the case. I don't want a tight ass shirt. It's going to be tight enough in the shoulders and chest anyways.

Yeah the issue might be then that even if you get an 2XL, it will be too long or something along the lines of that and not loose/wide enough.

Shopping online sucks. irl as well.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the point of the velcro straps?

Let me be clear, I assume there is a good reason why they are there, I just don't know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom