• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Nice shoes!

Today at the gym went great. The weight is ramping up again but I'm still stronger then when I was months ago. I hit 175x5 on overhead press. Rep 4 was tough but I got it. Rep 5 took a mighty Thor yell but it went up clean. Felt incredible. I love lifting.

sphinx

the piano man
Brolic, I haven't ever participated in a fitness related competition and I doubt I ever will, but I remember my piano competitions during my younger years and I know first hand it takes a HUGE pair of balls and commitment to compete on anything, regardless of the outcome. what you did deserves all the praise it can get. I applaud your attitude too, you are learning and enjoying the experience, that's what it's about.

mkenyon

Banned
Well it makes the shoe fit tight for me
Yeah but, laces do that too.

Also, I think I've posted this before, but people might still enjoy it:

wA6OROl.jpg

Pretty helpful for anyone doing cardio.

sphinx

the piano man
Cutting sucks. Just feel like shit not having the energy to do the same intensity workouts I was doing when I was porking out in the fall and winter.

today had leg day and I was thinking about this, and I thought about asking fitgaf:

how do you guys have a decent leg day (squats included) while on a strict cut???? can't wrap my head around it. I can't imagine people hitting any PRs or even staying on a certain strength level eating carefully counted grams of boiled chicken and plain rice. maybe I am just weak, don't know.

Chocobro

Yeah but, laces do that too.

Also, I think I've posted this before, but people might still enjoy it:

Pretty helpful for anyone doing cardio.

Sure the laces do that, but you the strap makes sure there to increase lateral stability and reduce intra-shoe movement, which is very important in Olympic weightlifting (in addition to the heel height). You need to be one with the shoe, so to say.

What is the minimum amount of time you guys give yourselves between eating and working out?

I've been excercising now for a month or two and have never had an issue but today I pushed myself harder than usual - feel fantastic btw - and I almost threw up a few times. Especially when doing some core stuff.

Hasn't been an issue so far but I don't want it to happen again. Or have it end up worse and end up with me actually throwing up.

ILoveBish

today had leg day and I was thinking about this, and I thought about asking fitgaf:

how do you guys have a decent leg day (squats included) while on a strict cut???? can't wrap my head around it. I can't imagine people hitting any PRs or even staying on a certain strength level eating carefully counted grams of boiled chicken and plain rice. maybe I am just weak, don't know.

It's easy. Your body adapts. I'm on 1800 calories a day and lifting plenty heavy.

rtcn63

What is the minimum amount of time you guys give yourselves between eating and working out?

I've been excercising now for a month or two and have never had an issue but today I pushed myself harder than usual - feel fantastic btw - and I almost threw up a few times. Especially when doing some core stuff.

Hasn't been an issue so far but I don't want it to happen again. Or have it end up worse and end up with me actually throwing up.

I generally workout in the morning, fasted. Sometimes after a small breakfast, usually 1-2 hours after.

Have you made sure to cut volume? Keep intensity, but cut your exercise volume by ~1/3rd. So if you normally do five sets of an exercise, do 2-3. Also, eat protein like a madman to mitigate muscle loss. Your goal is not to get stronger on a deficit, but to minimize getting weaker. If you're lacking energy, take caffeine an hour or more before the session- it is a stimulant after all.

Hello friends,

What is the consensus on Quest bars?

Just started eating them and I'm liking them so far. Lots of different flavors, only 3g net carbs per bar(rest is from fiber), and 20g protein which is 40% of your daily value. So if I eat 2 of them that's 80% of my protein right there. And they're only 170-190 calories per bar.

What do you guys think of them?

rtcn63

Hello friends,

What is the consensus on Quest bars?

Just started eating them and I'm liking them so far. Lots of different flavors, only 3g net carbs per bar(rest is from fiber), and 20g protein which is 40% of your daily value. So if I eat 2 of them that's 80% of my protein right there. And they're only 170-190 calories per bar.

What do you guys think of them?

They're okay. Only buy them on discount (~$1 a bar), and if you don't mind the taste and texture. If you're using them to help lose weight, sure. For bulking, there are cheaper alternatives (milk).

Also, there's a dedicated thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634596&page=6

They're okay. Only buy them on discount (~$1 a bar), and if you don't mind the taste and texture. If you're using them to help lose weight, sure. For bulking, there are cheaper alternatives (milk).

Also, there's a dedicated thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634596&page=6
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm buying them to lose weight. I'm 5'9" 340lbs(I know, absolutely awful)

I work in a fast paced environment so I don't get a chance to sit down and eat at work, so I don't and wind up eating a bunch of terrible stuff in the evening when I get home.

But for the past two weeks I've been forcing myself to get some eggs for breakfast, and bananas, apples and a Quest bar for lunch. The bars make it so much easier for me.

rtcn63

But for the past two weeks I've been forcing myself to get some eggs for breakfast, and bananas, apples and a Quest bar for lunch. The bars make it so much easier for me.

You may be able to skip breakfast entirely, unless that's too few calories, or you just like eating breakfast. When I was in a deficit, I'd eat two meals a day- one at around 2pm, and one at 7-9pm. I'd have coffee or a caffeine pill in the mornings. (Helps curb your appetite + gives you energy)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic, I haven't ever participated in a fitness related competition and I doubt I ever will, but I remember my piano competitions during my younger years and I know first hand it takes a HUGE pair of balls and commitment to compete on anything, regardless of the outcome. what you did deserves all the praise it can get. I applaud your attitude too, you are learning and enjoying the experience, that's what it's about.

Thanks bud, and I'm being told that a lot, it was definitely an experience and I loved it. It's also changed how I look at lifting already, and how I perceive others that train, especially those that talk shit without ever backing it up.

Bleh, that's another hour and a half of rehab exercises done. On top of the normal hour and a half of weights I've got fuck all time for anything fun at the moment. :(

Azulsky

What's the point of the velcro straps?

Let me be clear, I assume there is a good reason why they are there, I just don't know what it is.

You want to shoes to fit tighter and have less lateral give than a regular shoe. At least that is what I am getting from guys at my gym who have them.

There seems to be a big split between barefoot style squatting and squat shoes at my gym.

I have a pair of Feelmax's coming for gym use.

blackflag

You think they are dry holy shit you should have tried them prerelease. They sent me a box of those and a box of some chocolate crisp bars that they never even released.

Those cups were like chewing the desert. They changed them and added more fat before they released them and I think they just changed them again.

GrapeApes

Where you getting Quest bars for about a dollar, man? I buy boxes for $15 every month. Comes out to 1.25 a bar. Seems to be the lowest price I've found.

Wanted to post a progress pic. feel like I am halfway there and I believe I look better irl as opposed to pics (can't pose for shit). Drop another 15 lbs and just manage water/carbs depending on how I want to look.

Where you getting Quest bars for about a dollar, man? I buy boxes for $15 every month. Comes out to 1.25 a bar. Seems to be the lowest price I've found.

Where are you getting them for $15?

rtcn63

slickdeals, and it's usually closer to $1.25-1.50 a bar sadly. Normal price is $2, I think.

I honestly dislike eating them, so I probably won't be buying anymore for a long time. I still have six or so chocolate peanut butter bars lying around.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The velcro straps are key. It severely tightens the fit.

Was a strong 188 today.

DL 455x3 and 475x2x3
Then did RDLs and finished at 435x5

ILoveBish

I'm going to try out the mint chocolate quest bar just to see what its like this weekend, but thats it, i'm done with quest bars. I'll stick to real food.

Can someone direct me to a good video instruction on squats? I've been doing fine for a few months but recently my knees have been hurting after I squat. Just want to confirm what the proper form should be before I destroy something down there.

Jzero

I really want ripped abs but dieting is impossible at my place since my family likes buying lots of tasty sugary food and they don't have healthy food at work 😭

The temptation is too strong, brownies are more addicting than drugs.

rtcn63

Can someone direct me to a good video instruction on squats? I've been doing fine for a few months but recently my knees have been hurting after I squat. Just want to confirm what the proper form should be before I destroy something down there.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/whats-the-proper-way-to-squat-qa.html/

There are youtube urls in the article, just checked, they appear to still work

This may also be helpful

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/fixing-a-squat.html/

J. Bravo

Squatted 335x5 today. Pretty cool. Then benched 235x4. Not so cool. Then fucked around with legs chest and shoulders. P good workout tonight. Riding my bike home was a bitch.

Hilti92

I know I'm here for 4 months though. I'd like to relax as much as I can but I'm worried the last 4 months of progress are going to go away.

rtcn63

I know I'm here for 4 months though. I'd like to relax as much as I can but I'm worried the last 4 months of progress are going to go away.

You're probably better off focusing on your diet, as to minimize loss of gains. (Don't eat too little) Even then, your body keeps a sort of record of how fit you are, and you should find yourself back in shape after returning home to so many workouts.

Also, try not to get sick, bring pepto/immodium, etc.

Szu

OK, if you can only do body weight workouts, there are many better options than push-ups. You can look up BW workouts on Youtube.

If you're only going to do push-ups, then do as many as you can throughout the course of the day.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yeah, do pull-ups every day, too. You can literally do them anywhere: from playgrounds to tree branches.

blackflag

slickdeals, and it's usually closer to $1.25-1.50 a bar sadly. Normal price is $2, I think.

I honestly dislike eating them, so I probably won't be buying anymore for a long time. I still have six or so chocolate peanut butter bars lying around.

So because you dislike them you are telling someone who likes them to only buy them at 1 dollar per bar....ok

Hilti92

Cool, thanks guys. I'll take all advice given. I'm trying my best to eat and I think that really, I'm eating more than when I'm home. At the very least, healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom