• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

From my personal experience I would break down what it takes to get visible abs as the following....

95% diet
5% lifting
Yup, 0% cardio.

As you can see from the last page, Larry Fedora (UNC Football HC) agrees:

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Larry Fedora, w/daughter, on his 6-pack abs secret: “No beer, no cardio, lift weights 45 minutes 4 days/week”

then again...

Andrew Carter @_andrewcarter
Fedora just said he drinks nine Red Bulls a day during football season. I don't think that's possible.

lol

Love handles and lower belly flab is all diet. Gonna have to probably track calories, eat at a deficit and have little to no cheats if you want to get rid of those. I'm in the same boat right now, it sucks lol.

Although when you start to get fairly lean (12-15% BF), adding in LISS (preferably fasted) for 20-30 min 3-4x a week can be helpful (I believe Lyle McDonald has recommended this). Sounds like you're already adding 40 min of cardio (assuming it's LISS) on your lifting days so looks like you're doing as much as you can besides getting your diet in order (which ironically is the most important part! ha).

Beat me to it...this is what I'm doing now (Caffeine + Yohimbine + fasted LISS) and it's making a difference. That fat is the last to go because it's physically different from the rest of the fat you carry, read Lyle's Stubborn Fat solution for the deets.

In my case it's about 70:30 lower back to lower abs, the gut is slowly but steadily coming off, the low back, while it is getting less "dense" still has a lot to grab. Just takes patience.

If you carry a lot of mass (like Cooter for example) you can have visible abs at higher BF%s, they poke through anyways.

Bowser

Beat me to it...this is what I'm doing now (Caffeine + Yohimbine + fasted LISS) and it's making a difference. That fat is the last to go because it's physically different from the rest of the fat you carry, read Lyle's Stubborn Fat solution for the deets.

In my case it's about 70:30 lower back to lower abs, the gut is slowly but steadily coming off, the low back, while it is getting less "dense" still has a lot to grab. Just takes patience.

If you carry a lot of mass (like Cooter for example) you can have visible abs at higher BF%s, they poke through anyways.

How long are you doing fasted LISS? I think Lyle recommends 20-30 min right?

How long are you doing fasted LISS? I think Lyle recommends 20-30 min right?

45-60 minutes. That's around a HR of 130 though so it's quite low intensity.

20-30 minutes is more of the bare-minimum to maintain some modicum of cardiovascular fitness/keep fat burning pathways active during a bulk.

Bowser

45-60 minutes. That's around a HR of 130 though so it's quite low intensity.

20-30 minutes is more of the bare-minimum to maintain some modicum of cardiovascular fitness/keep fat burning pathways active during a bulk.

Gotcha. Do you do it on your lift days, off days, or every day?

I used to do fasted cardio and abs a few months back (did 5 days a week for basically 9 straight weeks split 40 min cardio/20 min abs), but haven't done it in a while. I wasn't doing LISS though, it was more interval type stuff (but not as intense as HIIT, obviously can't do that for 40 min). I would say my heart rate was probably around 160-170 at that time (according to the little electromagnet things on the machines).

Gotcha. Do you do it on your lift days, off days, or every day?

I was doing it just on off days but as I've gotten closer to my goal I've been doing it every day. I wouldn't recommend doing that for more than 2 weeks at a time or so.

On lifting days I do less - eat breakfast, lift about 3 hours later, pop the YC about halfway through the workout, then 30 minutes or so. Thus far it hasn't interfered with leg training at all, and since I'm not going to keep it up for too much longer I'm not really concerned with fatigue or anything. I do elliptical or bike so it's low impact as well.

Go_Ly_Dow

when people refer to the importance of diet, which aspects are you guys referring too when strying to stack on muscle?

-bulk eating?
-clean eating?
-daily protein intake in g?
-other nutrition (carb/fat/vitamins etc.....)

Bowser

when people refer to the importance of diet, which aspects are you guys referring too when strying to stack on muscle?

-bulk eating?
-clean eating?
-daily protein intake in g?
-other nutrition (carb/fat/vitamins etc.....)

I think generally speaking, if you're cutting, it's eating at a deficit (10-20%), eating fairly clean, keeping carbs low (<100g/day preferably), and probably targeting about 1g/lb of protein.

I've never bulked in my life (well, except for when I was a kid and wasn't lifting aka just being a fat ass), but I think it's generally the same type of thing, just in reverse - eat clean, eat at a surplus (10-15%), maybe bump up protein intake to 1.5g/lb, and eat more carbs (200g plus).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think generally speaking, if you're cutting, it's eating at a deficit (10-20%), eating fairly clean, keeping carbs low (<100g/day preferably), and probably targeting about 1g/lb of protein.

I've never bulked in my life (well, except for when I was a kid and wasn't lifting aka just being a fat ass), but I think it's generally the same type of thing, just in reverse - eat clean, eat at a surplus (10-15%), maybe bump up protein intake to 1.5g/lb, and eat more carbs (200g plus).
Pretty spot on right here except the protein doesn't need to be as high when bulking because you are drastically increasing your carbs.

looking good Darth

CherryWoodFuton, Chocobro, others - here's me doing 160x5 on squats this morning: http://youtu.be/fVLGOaimFt0.

Any better? Tried not to go as low as before and shorten my hip movement (lol didn't notice the music they were playing in the gym since I had my headphones in).

Side note: I don't normally lift in the morning so I took a scoop of some MusclePharm Assault pre-workout that I had lying around. Holy shit, never again, I'll just drink some coffee. I didn't really feel all that energetic, but my ears, knuckles, and elbows were itching like a mofo, like there was something crawling all over 'em. So annoying.

heh, that is the Beta Alanine as mentioned. It goes away after a week or so, once your body gets adjusted. I miss that tingly feeling, don't get it anymore -_-

Holy shit DarthWufei!

/bow

Does the force of each step from your massive legs leave Bigfoot like imprints everywhere you walk?

Small compared to what? A tree trunk?

Impressive!! Even your camera can't focus properly because of the immense swoleness in dem legs.

Sick set of wheels

Quadzilla king of the monsters leg press machine.
Haha thanks guys, I've been slacking on leg work though. I really haven't been squatting much lately and I swear my legs are smaller lol. Haven't measured.

From my personal experience I would break down what it takes to get visible abs as the following....

95% diet
5% lifting
Yup, 0% cardio.
Agreed.

For me cardio in my workout routine is what a protein shake would be in my diet. A supplement to the goal that isn't necessary to achieve said goal (fat loss).

EDIT: Thanks FE. <3

EDIT2: You don't need to keep carbs low even when cutting to get under 10%. Unless you want a diet that is low carb. I've cut down to <10% with and without carbs. One diet ranged from 20-40g carbs a day, the other 100-200g.

Bowser

heh, that is the Beta Alanine as mentioned. It goes away after a week or so, once your body gets adjusted. I miss that tingly feeling, don't get it anymore -_-

What's weird is I had used it before and never once got that feeling, but I haven't used it in over a month and decided to have some this morning and it was pretty immediate, like 5-10 min after I took it down.

EDIT2: You don't need to keep carbs low even when cutting to get under 10%. Unless you want a diet that is low carb. I've cut down to <10% with and without carbs. One diet ranged from 20-40g carbs a day, the other 100-200g.

True. I think in general it's just easier to cut on low carb because carbs aren't as filling for the caloric content. You tend to feel more satiated on a low carb diet when eating at a deficit. But yeah, in general, as long as you're hitting your calorie target and keep protein at 1g/lb, you can play around with your fat/carb grams.

So it's more or less decline training but with less focus on the entire eccentric phase and more focus on the individual spot at which you are struggling with any given lift?

If by decline training you mean negatives, then yes, the emphasis is the individual sticking point in the concentric phase rather than than the eccentric. If you are weak just above parallel in the squat, you could do a normal squat, pause where you are weak just above parallel for a few seconds while trying to keep perfect form, then finish the lift.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So im definitely chunky again on my bulk, but my bench is up to 225 now! Worth it. Gonna try to get up to 250 and cut again.

OG Kush

Guys I need to buy some incremental weights as my gym back at uni only has 2.5 or 1.25 kg as the lowest. I need to buy some 0.5, 1, 1.5 and 2 kg plates but I'm not sure what to search. tried searching amazon but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows any UK websites or atleast the correct term for these type of weights then it'll help greatly, as I'm pretty sure theyre not labeled "incremental weights"!

Zoe

Guys I need to buy some incremental weights as my gym back at uni only has 2.5 or 1.25 kg as the lowest. I need to buy some 0.5, 1, 1.5 and 2 kg plates but I'm not sure what to search. tried searching amazon but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows any UK websites or atleast the correct term for these type of weights then it'll help greatly, as I'm pretty sure theyre not labeled "incremental weights"!

You're looking for something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RP3KY8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got this though:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L9GVKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheaper and harder to lose.

BumRush

Hey FitGAF,

I've been gone for so long (busy on temporary assignment that has me traveling too much, building my home gym and waiting for my baby girl to be born (she's 7 days overdue!!!)) but I had a question:

For the foreseeable future I'll probably only be able to get in 3 solid workouts a week. On those days I'm going to do Chest / Shoulders, Back / Legs and Arms / Abs. 5 days a week I wanted to do a butt-crack-of-dawn high intensity workout (burpees, mountain climbers, abs, etc.). If I threw in pushups and pullups, would that negate my gains from the lifts? Of importance, my goal is to cut right now, not add size or strength.

Hey FitGAF,

I've been gone for so long (busy on temporary assignment that has me traveling too much, building my home gym and waiting for my baby girl to be born (she's 7 days overdue!!!)) but I had a question:

For the foreseeable future I'll probably only be able to get in 3 solid workouts a week. On those days I'm going to do Chest / Shoulders, Back / Legs and Arms / Abs. 5 days a week I wanted to do a butt-crack-of-dawn high intensity workout (burpees, mountain climbers, abs, etc.). If I threw in pushups and pullups, would that negate my gains from the lifts? Of importance, my goal is to cut right now, not add size or strength.

Cutting is pretty much diet the majority of the time. Eating with a caloric deficit would be ideal for you. The downside to that is your lifts will suffer but since you said you are not worried about adding strength it shouldn't be a problem for you.

As far as your training regimen, I would just do the routine from OP which is a SS variant and throw in some HIIT IMO. Your split routine sounds like it won't do anything for your cut

BumRush

Cutting is pretty much diet the majority of the time. Eating with a caloric deficit would be ideal for you. The downside to that is your lifts will suffer but since you said you are not worried about adding strength it shouldn't be a problem for you.

As far as your training regimen, I would just do the routine from OP which is a SS variant and throw in some HIIT IMO. Your split routine sounds like it won't do anything for your cut

Thanks man...yeah I've done SS before (loved it). I'm more curious about whether or not doing say 3 sets of 50 pushups 5 days a week will actually have an impact on my chest / shoulder workout the night before. I've never worked out like that so I don't really know the effects.

Also, I didn't mention in my original post but I will be squatting 3 times a week (unfortunately)...

Thanks man...yeah I've done SS before (loved it). I'm more curious about whether or not doing say 3 sets of 50 pushups 5 days a week will actually have an impact on my chest / shoulder workout the night before. I've never worked out like that so I don't really know the effects.

Also, I didn't mention in my original post but I will be squatting 3 times a week (unfortunately)...

Ugh squatting every workout was a pain in the ass. One of the reasons I switched from SS to 5/3/1.

Personally as far as pushups I do them as warm ups to my bench and OHP just 3 sets of 10. Doing 3 sets of 50 pushups 5 days a week would totally wipe me out for lifting.

Zero2kz

So, I just got the three flavors of Quest Protein Chips in the mail. I was going to have a bag a day and savor them.

Well that didn't happen. I opened all three and tried them all. Then I made a big-ass plate of protein nachos. Whole meal was probably about 100g of protein. It was ridiculous.

The chips weren't bad though. The Sea Salt was a little bit too plain in my opinion. The BBQ and Cheddar ones were better. I am not a big fan of the texture. A bit too thin and flakey for my liking. I always preferred the thick kettle cooked type chips.

Oh well, overall pretty good. I probably won't buy more unless they get readily available in stores. Won't order anymore online.

moocow

So I asked this before, but I guess I'll try again.

What are your go to brosciency workouts for the day when you want to look bigger/ maintain pump for a few hours?

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weight-plates/fractional-plates.html

Cooter

So I asked this before, but I guess I'll try again.

What are your go to brosciency workouts for the day when you want to look bigger/ maintain pump for a few hours?
Lots of high rep arm work and shoulder raises I suppose. Can't say I've tested this out however.

Go_Ly_Dow

Gonna load up on carbs like never before tomorrow to try and pass my long-term bench roadblock.

I've dropped the weight by 2-3 levels several times now and worked my way up but failed, however this time round my bench has definitely improved and with the right sleep tonight and nutrition tomorrow really hope i can fucking do it!

sphinx

the piano man
everyone here who drinks Vanilla whey protein shakes.

please mix it with some fucking mango and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes...

damn, I salivate thinking about it. I thought it would be too sweet, it's like the most delicious smoothie that exists on earth.

TylerD

Thanks for taking a look. I was trying to mimic this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg&feature=youtu.be&t=2m41s

But yeah, it was kinda herky jerky, although part of it was definitely being a bit distracted due to the damn itchy feeling I had haha.

Already had a large iced coffee, about to go grab another :p

That is also what I try to emulate. It really helped me when I started with that initial movement.

Last night was a bit of a disappointment in the gym. Felt great energy wise but was having balance issues on my squat and kept leaning too far forward and dumping the bar on the pegs. Funny, because I had no problems with my first set...

Anyway finally failed to get all my bench reps (2x5,1x4) @165lbs and I'm blaming my spotter for touching the bar at the top of my next to last rep and throwing me off my game. Should have got that 165! :(

Hit 200lbs on dead lift and I can tell my grip is getting stronger. I'm ready to knock out 145 on my squat tomorrow night. Pissed that I couldn't get my shit together.

edit: To my surprise the blender bottle will blend my natural peanut butter as well. I don't mind the chunks of peanuts in there!

BumRush

FitGAF,

Back in Feb I posted some transformation pics. You guys were very kind with the praise, which meant a lot. A couple posters told me to focus on adding a little size, specifically to my chest. Here's where I'm at so far:

Before:

odfPACl.jpg

After:

3X56JIK.jpg

I've added about 5-6 lbs of muscle (in 6 months) and a little over 1/2" to my pecs.

Advice on what to focus on PLEASE!!

Cooter

FitGAF,

Back in Feb I posted some transformation pics. You guys were very kind with the praise, which meant a lot. A couple posters told me to focus on adding a little size, specifically to my chest. Here's where I'm at so far:

Before:

odfPACl.jpg

After:

3X56JIK.jpg

I've added about 5-6 lbs of muscle (in 6 months) and a little over 1/2" to my pecs.

Mission accomplished! Damn. Working with some fine genetics there sir.

Go_Ly_Dow

FitGAF,

Before:

odfPACl.jpg

After:

3X56JIK.jpg

amazing work dude. you have my dream body!

what was your chest workout like to get those results?

BumRush

amazing work dude. you have my dream body!

what was your chest workout like to get those results?

I worked out chest 2X per week, once focusing on DB and bar work, once focusing on machines and cables. I found that the cable workout gave me one burn and the more standard workout gave me another.

The single workout that I added that I couldn't live without is:

Incline BB Press - 10 sets of 5 reps with light weight (135 LBS) with 20-30 seconds rest between sets. The pump / fatigue after that was incredible. It really helped sculpt my upper pecs

Go_Ly_Dow

I worked out chest 2X per week, once focusing on DB and bar work, once focusing on machines and cables. I found that the cable workout gave me one burn and the more standard workout gave me another.

The single workout that I added that I couldn't live without is:

Incline BB Press - 10 sets of 5 reps with light weight (135 LBS) with 20-30 seconds rest between sets. The pump / fatigue after that was incredible. It really helped sculpt my upper pecs

Sounds intense. Will carry on working chest just once a week for now but may move on to something like that when I'm satisfied with other areas of my body.

My chest workout atm is as follows

Bench
3x5 heavy
2x10 light

Incline DB
3x6-8 reps heavy
2x10 light

Incline Fly
3x10 light weight

Seen my chest really grow and take shape with that so will continue with that for a while and then switch to BB for my upper chest when I stop going up in weight.

sphinx

the piano man
Sorry for blur. :( Also the shadow of my left thigh makes my right look small.

if we have game devs in the lines off fitgaf, we should definitely do a Megaman game

Darth - Legman
MTP - Trapman
Brolic - Strengthman

er, I think I'll be taking the Pianoman level, lol

BumRush

Sounds intense. Will carry on working chest just once a week for now but may move on to something like that when I'm satisfied with other areas of my body.

My chest workout atm is as follows

Bench
3x5 heavy
2x10 light

Incline DB
3x8 heavy
2x10 light

Incline Fly
3x10 light weight

Seen my chest really grow and take shape with that so will continue with that for a while and then switch to BB for my upper chest when I stop going up in weight.

Almost all of my workouts end with a superset or dropset of some kind. I love to end with a burn when you're already fatigued. Maybe throw dips onto that Fly workout (or just pushups in between).

Also, curious...why the switch between light and heavy within bench and incline DB. I'd think this would hinder your growth a little (just never heard of it)

Go_Ly_Dow

Almost all of my workouts end with a superset or dropset of some kind. I love to end with a burn when you're already fatigued. Maybe throw dips onto that Fly workout (or just pushups in between).

Also, curious...why the switch between light and heavy within bench and incline DB. I'd think this would hinder your growth a little (just never heard of it)

Sorry didn't list it correctly.

In order it goes

Bench 3x5 (heavy)
Incline DB 3x6-8 reps (heavy)
Bench 2x10 (light)
Incline DB 2x10 (light)
Incline Fly 3x10 (light)

Key focus is lower rep strength training and then finish the workout with a hypertrophy focus so it doesn't hinder my strength. at the start.

Sadetar

I have now missed two training days in a row thanks to dizzyness and passing out / nearly passing out. I really don't know what is going on, but I am not going to take another day off from work cause of this. Also if I feel more or less ok tomorrow, I am trying to go to gym to do at least something light. I feel super quilty because of this. I have even forced myself to drink mineral water even if I quite much hate anything with bubbles. All my muscles also ache so badly that I have taken extra magnesium and I am just hoping I will feel fine tomorrow. I am fairly sure this is due to heat and me being stupid and not eating and drinking accordingly.

Why would I take offense to that? Just means you think I look bigger than my measurements suggest. ;)
Yep, you do look like a big guy. :p

Darth, you look insane. Hahah, with all honesty you are starting to look more like a comic book hero than a real human being. I say that in the best possible meaning of the words. <3

FitGAF,

Before:

odfPACl.jpg

After:

3X56JIK.jpg

If I were you, I would next focus on just staring at that magnificent work of art you have just created... I am already doing it. ;)

I've been Quest Bar free for about three months now. It's mostly a monetary issue but I have trouble not eating 3 or 4 a day when they are around. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.
I love it that people talk about being Quest Bar free and so forth. It is like one of the biggest addictions on these forums. :p

Woot! My first Quest order from iHerb just arrived. I basically got three boxes for the price of two when compared to the Finnish prices. Pretty glad that I don't have to buy those 5$ Quest bars from the local supermarket anymore... Thanks Sadetar for convincing me to use iHerb.
You are very welcome sweetie pie. Hahaha, I am just waiting to swap some of the flavours with you! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom