• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

-F1 in Montreal
-MotoGP in Barcelona
-Indycar Saturday night race in Texas
-2 Formula E races in Berlin
-and on top of that E3

It's tough, but I'll make it!

Aiii

So not worth it
Code:
[B]Rank	Name			Pay		Salary/Winnings	Endorsements	Sport[/B]
#1	Cristiano Ronaldo	$93 M		$58 M		$35 M		Soccer
#2	LeBron James		$86.2 M		$31.2 M		$55 M		Basketball
#3	Lionel Messi		$80 M		$53 M		$27 M		Soccer
#4	Roger Federer		$64 M		$6 M		$58 M		Tennis
#5	Kevin Durant		$60.6 M		$26.6 M		$34 M		Basketball
#6	Andrew Luck		$50 M		$47 M		$3 M		Football
#6	Rory McIlroy		$50 M		$16 M		$34 M		Golf
#8	Stephen Curry		$47.3 M		$12.3 M		$35 M		Basketball
#9	James Harden		$46.6 M		$26.6 M		20 M		Basketball
#10	Lewis Hamilton		$46 M		$38 M		$8 M		Auto Racing
#14	Sebastian Vettel	$38.5 M		$38 M		$500 K		Auto Racing
#20	Fernando Alonso		$36 M		$34 M		$2 M		Auto racing
https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/2/#tab:overall

TCRS

Banned
damn. I remember Schumacher earning 100m a year. he was just behind tiger woods in the top earnings.

e: or was it 50m? He was no. 2 though.

Sebastian Vettel has reportedly been issued with a deadline to make a decision on his future with Ferrari.

The four-time World Champion is out of contract at the end of the season and, according to German publication Sport Bild, Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne wants Vettel's future to be resolved by the Italian Grand Prix in September.
Vettel has been linked with a move to Mercedes in the off-season, but Ferrari technical chief Mattia Binotto fully expects him to extend his stay with the Scuderia.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/vettel-given-deadline-on-ferrari-future-report/

It's a tricky situation for him. I could imagine him wanting to stay, if he's going to win the title and leave if he doesn't. At least it should be clear whether or not he has a chance to win the title by September. Then again, losing it by a couple of points would hurt even more.

Aiii

So not worth it
Only 500k in endorsements for Vettel?

Needs a new agent.

Maybe he doesn't want to do sponsor visits and other dumb PR stuff. I mean, he makes almost 40 million a year, it's not like he needs the money. I bet the 500k is just for wearing Bose headsets or some brands sunglasses or something.

Hammer24

Banned
I still think it would be incredibly shitty of him if he'd leave Ferrari, because he won the title with them. He wouldn't deserve it.

Well, he is driving for the history books, that's his main motivation. How many drivers won titles with three different teams?
And about "deserving"... I don't know. He had to go through some really rough parts with FER before they became competitive. I don't know if one could really see it as unthankful or something.

Patrick S.

Banned
Nah. Vettel can be a baby in the car, but he's one of the funniest blokes away from the circuit.

He very much enjoys privacy, doesn't do social media etc. I can respect that.

Oh, I actually do like him, but I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But yeah, he probably does prefer having some time off instead of doing extracurricular stuff like filming ads or what have you.

xrnzaaas

Maybe he doesn't want to do sponsor visits and other dumb PR stuff. I mean, he makes almost 40 million a year, it's not like he needs the money. I bet the 500k is just for wearing Bose headsets or some brands sunglasses or something.

Yep, exactly. Him and Kimi do a lot of dumb stuff anyway for Ferrari and sometimes you can tell by how they behave how much they love it. ;)

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Well, he is driving for the history books, that's his main motivation. How many drivers won titles with three different teams?
And about "deserving"... I don't know. He had to go through some really rough parts with FER before they became competitive. I don't know if one could really see it as unthankful or something.

How many drivers have more than 5 titles with Ferrari? If he wins this year (and that should be clear by September) he will stay. I can see him switching to Mercedes ahead of the next major engine revision, because they will be the best team then again - if they are still in F1. But I am sure he looks at Alonso. Or Schumacher from 1996 to 2000. If you stick with Ferrari, you'll be rewarded. If you leave, your career might be over. If there's one constant in F1 it's that Ferrari will win their next championship.

mclem

Code:
[B]Rank	Name			Pay		Salary/Winnings	Endorsements	Sport[/B]
#1	Cristiano Ronaldo	$93 M		$58 M		$35 M		Soccer
#2	LeBron James		$86.2 M		$31.2 M		$55 M		Basketball
#3	Lionel Messi		$80 M		$53 M		$27 M		Soccer
#4	Roger Federer		$64 M		$6 M		$58 M		Tennis
#5	Kevin Durant		$60.6 M		$26.6 M		$34 M		Basketball
#6	Andrew Luck		$50 M		$47 M		$3 M		Football
#6	Rory McIlroy		$50 M		$16 M		$34 M		Golf
#8	Stephen Curry		$47.3 M		$12.3 M		$35 M		Basketball
#9	James Harden		$46.6 M		$26.6 M		20 M		Basketball
#10	Lewis Hamilton		$46 M		$38 M		$8 M		Auto Racing
#14	Sebastian Vettel	$38.5 M		$38 M		$500 K		Auto Racing
#20	Fernando Alonso		$36 M		$34 M		$2 M		Auto racing
https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/2/#tab:overall

Tennis is the anti-F1, then, in terms of the balance between endorsements and prize money. Or is that just Federer, because his name is so valuable but he's not been winning *that* much recently (although he's definitely been on a little bit of a resurgence over the past year)?

Aiii

So not worth it
DByd2Y8XcAAdvgQ.jpg:large

dl77

If you stick with Ferrari, you'll be rewarded. If you leave, your career might be over. If there's one constant in F1 it's that Ferrari will win their next championship.

I don't know if I've misunderstood your post but Ferrari haven't won a drivers championship in a decade and haven't won a constructors title in 9 years. I'm not sure where the 'stick with Ferrari and you'll be rewarded' bit comes in?

Zycban

I don't know if I've misunderstood your post but Ferrari haven't won a drivers championship in a decade and haven't won a constructors title in 9 years. I'm not sure where the 'stick with Ferrari and you'll be rewarded' bit comes in?

I started watching F1 in 1995, ferrari didn't win anything for over 12 years when I watched my first race. They had the 27 and 28 numbers and they were the team on their way out.

...then a few years later the 1999 season came along.

EDit: just to clarify: i'm not saying they will be dominant again, but sooner or later they will probably win the WDC or WCC.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I would like to see Lewis-Sebastian switch... but I cannot imagine how would big boss Sergio cope with all that # stuff

Zaru

EDit: just to clarify: i'm not saying they will be dominant again, but sooner or later they will probably win the WDC or WCC.

More than half of the current teams have won more than one championship in the last 20 years and of those all but Williams are either contenders or temporarily embarrassed/rebuilding. I'm not sure why Ferrari is special in this regard.

dl77

I started watching F1 in 1995, ferrari didn't win anything for over 12 years when I watched my first race. They had the 27 and 28 numbers and they were the team on their way out.

...then a few years later the 1999 season came along.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that at some point they'll come good, probably this season let's be honest. As someone who's watched F1 since the late 80's though it's weird to have this assumption that sticking with Ferrari is great when, Schumacher years aside - when they had a lot of advantages over every other team let's be honest - they've only won one other drivers title in nearly 35 years!

I will honestly be shocked if Vettel doesn't win this years championship.

dl77

I would like to see Lewis-Sebastian switch... but I cannot imagine how would big boss Sergio cope with all that # stuff

Never gonna happen. I'm sure the sponsors would love it but the manufacturers wouldn't. They want the best driver out there and someone who's just good enough under them to still score lots of points for the constructors but not take them off their lead driver.

Hamilton, Alonso & Vettel are probably the best drivers out there but you don't have to look very hard at their behaviour in the past to see how badly they take losing. If you had any combination of those three on your team you'd spend 90% of your time firefighting.

chadskin

Le Mans: Racing Is Everything is up on Amazon Prime Video now.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans is a motor race like no other. Taking place in France each year, it is an endurance test for drivers and cars that literally takes 24 hours to complete. Traveling from Kuala Lumpur to the Côte D'Azur, shot in breathtaking 4K and with unprecedented access to six of the teams competing for glory, Le Mans: Racing is Everything is motorsport as you've never seen it before.

Never gonna happen. I'm sure the sponsors would love it but the manufacturers wouldn't. They want the best driver out there and someone who's just good enough under them to still score lots of points for the constructors but not take them off their lead driver.

Hamilton, Alonso & Vettel are probably the best drivers out there but you don't have to look very hard at their behaviour in the past to see how badly they take losing. If you had any combination of those three on your team you'd spend 90% of your time firefighting.

He said switch, so I assume he means having Lewis go to Ferrari and Seb going to Merc. Not both of them in the same team.

chadskin

Fernando Alonso has indicated he will leave McLaren-Honda at the end of the year if he does not see signs they can be competitive by September.

The two-time world champion is out of contract at the end of this season.

"We have to win," he said. "If we are winning before September, when I will make a decision, I will stay."

When pointed out this was unlikely, he said: "I joined this project to win the title. If you are not in a competitive position, maybe you change project."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40206808

Renault
e.dams
!

Fox Mulder

Good. Please put Alonso in a competitive car.

His only competitive options are Ferrari and Mercedes. Those are probably long shots at best that require shuffling from Lewis and Vettel.

Maybe McLaren can do a last minute mercedes engine swap if they're still throwing warnings around.

His only competitive options are Ferrari and Mercedes. Those are probably long shots at best that require shuffling from Lewis and Vettel.

Maybe McLaren can do a last minute mercedes engine swap if they're still throwing warnings around.

He'd be better off taking a pay cut and going to Williams.

kharma45

I wouldn't discount Renault for Alonso.

valkyre

Well Alonso clearly thought that McLaren was the best decision ever even a couple of months ago, I dont see him coming back to Ferrari after the things he said and Mercedes seems like a long shot.

So I guess he might migrate to indycar after all...

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm gonna assume Honda is getting dropped around August for next year and Alonso is sticking with McLaren Mercedes next year.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh.... It's that time of year again where I see a ton of people going to the track in the subway during my work commute... This is depressing lol

Zeknurn

Nah just Kimi.

There's a Ross Brawn and Chase Carey press conference between sessions where they will be talking about upcoming circuits and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom