• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grug

Have you considered that you may be more biased towards Ferrari and Vettel than Sky are towards Hamilton (and other British drivers)?

I have, but they drive my Red Bull supporting mates equally nuts, so I'm feeling justified.

They have been insufferable with Hamilton and Button for a decade.

Rodelero

There was onboard footage where he brakes down to 50 kph right before the incident.

Could you find a source for that, because it just looked like someone going around the corner without pressing the accelerator pedal to me which hardly seems like 'brake checking'. It's entirely his perogative (if not obligation) to let the safety car get away.

Loris146

Vettel anyway is insane. He screwed up with Hamilton under the SC no doubt about that but holy shit at some of his laps , just insane. He had 0.5 sec handicap in the straight.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bold predictions

- Vettel's engine blows
- Hamilton crashes
- Safety car shenanigans result in Verstappen winning
- Cheeky Checo podium

Vettels power unit is gonna blow
Hamilton and Bottas will crash
Max will retire for some electronic issue
Kimi wins the race
Force India on podium

Ummphhh.....none of the above.
Quoted these just before the race.

On Topic

What a fucking race.
I after the second safety car i had no idea what was gonna happen and just watched on the edge of my seat.

P.S Fucking SuperSport Africa cut the F1 coverage to show us Men Hockey!!!!
I really wanted hear the podium and whatever interviews were gonna happen post race.

Ill be refreshing this thread the rest of the day.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
In a vacuum it was a decent whack of a penalty. You can't add Hamilton's headrest to the equation.

There's causing a collision with clumsy driving during a race scenario. Then there's driving up alongside another driver you were (wrongly) angry at and driving sideways into them, while there's no competitive situation.

To take your phrase, in a vacuum, it should have been a black flag, but was never going to be to protect the WDC.

Vettel anyway is insane. He screwed up with Hamilton under the SC no doubt about that but holy shit at some of his laps , just insane. He had 0.5 sec handicap in the straight.

Again, it was an easy win and he threw it away. Definitely lost the championship at this point, if it wasn't obvious due to the performance gap anyway.

Matt Howson‏ @MHowsonRacing 35m
Young talent Dan Ticktum received a 2 year ban for similar action [to Vettel] in Formula 4, a 10 sec penalty from the stewards is weak and inconsistent

Not sure I agree entirely given the nature of the incidents, but 2 years vs 10s quite the disparity

Randdalf

Young talent Dan Ticktum received a 2 year ban for similar action [to Vettel] in Formula 4, a 10 sec penalty from the stewards is weak and inconsistent

Not sure I agree entirely given the nature of the incidents, but 2 years vs 10s quite the disparity

Could you imagine if Vettel got a two year ban, the fallout would be glorious.

dakun

4 times world champion vs a nobody

Also without seeing the other incident, 2 years is too much. 10sec stop and go is closer to a fair ban than 2 years

Grug

There's causing a collision with clumsy driving during a race scenario. Then there's driving up alongside another driver you were (wrongly) angry at and driving sideways into them, while there's no competitive situation.

To take your phrase, in a vacuum, it should have been a black flag, but was never going to be to protect the WDC.

I think there is a reasonable enough doubt that the contact was unintentional. Vettel is firey but he is also a rules geek. Quite possible he just wanted to pull up beside and gesticulate.

*shrug*

Rodelero

Tinfoil hat... Would Vettel have received the penalty wouldn't Hamilton have had issues with the headrest?

I'm honestly not sure. I think Vettel was going to get punished regardless but the timing of the punishment and the choice of the punishment? I wouldn't put it past the stewards. I've only been watching F1 for a decade but I've long felt that penalties are quite carefully calculated for their effect rather than purely being related to the crime. When you consider just how long they had to determine the punishment for what is in many ways kind of open and shut the fact they announced it pretty much as soon as Hamilton was forced to pit seem really odd.

"similiar"

He overtook several cars under SC and crashed himself and another driver out of the race. He ignored 13 yellow flags, 4 double yellow flags and 15 SC shields.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think there is a reasonable enough doubt that the contact was unintentional. Vettel is firey but he is also a rules geek. Quite possible he just wanted to pull up beside and gesticulate.

*shrug*

Even without the contact it was fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom