• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosenqvist is a prime example as to why we should have a motorsport decathlon. It would be a series were the best overall motorsport driver would be decided.
What would be good components of a racing catch-all discipline tour, anyway? Some signature events out of everything, covering a wide range of machines and locations.

How about, in approximate increasing difficulty...
1) Silverstone BTCC/GT4
2) Monza entry formula
3) Daytona 500
4) Bathurst V8s
5) Suzuka SuperGT/GT3
6) Spa top road cars
7) COTA(?) LMP2
8) Indy 500
9) Le Mans LMP1
10) Monaco F1

Was trying to get Nurburgring DTM in there but that's a ton of overlap of performance range with V8s/GT3/NASCAR. I'd watch the hell out of every round of that if you yanked off a few top drivers out of each big series. A shame commercial rights and drivers' contracts would never allow even a pair of those to be run together. Could be 100% spec races and I wouldn't care. Get me a video game of this ASAP.

tomtom94

What would be good components of a racing catch-all discipline tour, anyway? Some signature events out of everything, covering a wide range of machines and locations.

How about, in approximate increasing difficulty...
1) Silverstone BTCC/GT4
2) Monza entry formula
3) Daytona 500
4) Bathurst V8s
5) Suzuka SuperGT/GT3
6) Spa top road cars
7) COTA(?) LMP2
8) Indy 500
9) Le Mans LMP1
10) Monaco F1

Was trying to get Nurburgring DTM in there but that's a ton of overlap of performance range with V8s/GT3/NASCAR. I'd watch the hell out of every round of that if you yanked off a few top drivers out of each big series. A shame commercial rights and drivers' contracts would never allow even a pair of those to be run together. Could be 100% spec races and I wouldn't care. Get me a video game of this ASAP.

Got to have go-karts in there somewhere

Also re: your last point the only one I can think of is a very old PC game called Williams F1 Team Driver which had karts, F1600, F3000 and F1 cars available.

Par Score

Monaco is the very last F1 track I'd put in a racing decathalon. Spa, Austin, Silverstone, Fuji, even bloody Baku over Monaco.

And we need Moto GP or Superbikes at Laguna Seca on there.

Jezbollah

Monaco is the very last F1 track I'd put in a racing decathalon. Spa, Austin, Silverstone, Fuji, even bloody Baku over Monaco.

And we need Moto GP or Superbikes at Laguna Seca on there.

If you're going to put Superbikes on there, you need to put the Isle of Man TT.

hitgirl

Saw the Formula E race in brooklyn and it was awesome. Stayed two blocks from the track for $80 a night. Abundant cheap / amazing food and bars right next to the track. From a fan perspective the experience of attending a race was way better than any F1 race I've been to.

xrnzaaas

Renault team boss dismisses the rumors about Palmer's replacement. And looks like guy has a sense of humor

This is always what the tabloids hope for. They get clicks & attention for some unconfirmed/purely fake stories and they also get a bonus for forcing a team or a driver to make a statement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sainz was looking for a team with better perspectives, but it would be highly unlikely to leave a Red Bull owned team mid-season.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I had a great time at the Monaco GP, but you guys are right that the racing itself left a little to be desired. I had a great time with the atmosphere and the history, haven't been to any other GP tho so it is hard to gauge.

Also consider that the last three races on his list are the triple crown.

Zaru

Exactly what I was going to say. That stuff is mental.

There are two types of racing videos that make me constantly think "holy shit, how is this person not dying or killing someone every corner", first being 80s Group B Rally, and second being Isle of Man TT - and only one of those still exists.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Saw the Formula E race in brooklyn and it was awesome. Stayed two blocks from the track for $80 a night. Abundant cheap / amazing food and bars right next to the track. From a fan perspective the experience of attending a race was way better than any F1 race I've been to.

It has the benefit of being in New York which gives it a bit of an unfair advantage.

Still bitter about the GP not happening there some years back.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Only race I've ever been to was the F3 Masters at Zandvoort in the 90s. The trains being super-packed wasn't a very pleasant experience, and I'm surprised not more people tumble down the dunes and hurt themselves.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Kind of OT, but Joest Racing is taking over the factory Mazdas in the IMSA series next year. Penske Acura vs Joest Mazda is going to be fun to watch.

DBT85

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130827/renault-weighing-up-running-kubica-at-test

Renault are pondering running Kubica at the next test, knowing that if they do then Palmer won't get a test because of the need to have 2 days of rookie testing. Their only other option to but Kubica in a 2017 car is to run a dedicated acclimation test, this would have to be on a track not in use by the F1 calendar this season. The problem is that if they decide not to give him a drive they lose a day of testing this year.

For me its an easy choice, put Kubica in the test, get some data of him on a current track that you can compare with other cars and drivers. Not having Palmer do a test is inconsequential.

mclem

Looks like contract extension with Bottas will be announced right after Hungarian GP or even on that weekend.

I'd be delighted to hear that; no matter whether you think he's quite on a par with Lewis or not, I think he absolutely has done enough to stay on.

I wish it was already race week again. I can't stand the slow news right now. No idea how I'm going to get through the summer break either.

I'd be delighted to hear that; no matter whether you think he's quite on a par with Lewis or not, I think he absolutely has done enough to stay on.

Which confirms that Vettel is going to stay another year at Ferrari.

Spades

Not having Palmer do a test is inconsequential.

Exactly. Would be such a shame for them to bring Kubica on this far this season and then fail at the last hurdle before a possible race seat.

The other option, presumably, is just to drop him into a Friday session and see how he performs.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yep. The length of the deal will be the interesting part.

One plus option, is my guess.

What's the point of the option clause, anyway? Is it just to prevent having to do any further negotiation?

DBT85

One plus option, is my guess.

What's the point of the option clause, anyway? Is it just to prevent having to do any further negotiation?

The option basically makes it 2 years solid if the performance is there and an easy get out after 1 if not.

Elros

Can you guys imagine Ferrari clinging to Kimi for yet another year?

Because I can and it's terrifying.
I think Kimi kinda accepted the fact that Ferrari can and will make him help Seb anytime there's a chance of WDC for Seb. Put any other driver in that seat and you don't know how they will react the first time the team ask him to move away for Seb.

Even if Kimi take x more millions than a Hulk, I think Ferrari would prefer him, for "stability".

dl77

Absolutely. He's a solid driver and he seems pretty non-political, Mercedes would be crazy not to retain him. Not up there with Hamilton and Alonso etc but still good enough to pick up the points behind them and also help score some big results when their No 1 has a bad weekend.

dl77

The option basically makes it 2 years solid if the performance is there and an easy get out after 1 if not.

Yup, basically if he does well next year none of the other teams can poach him for 2019 but if he doesn't, or they have a better option, they can simply cast him adrift.

Zaru

Rumors say the halo is all but confirmed for next year

QGRGA9d.gif

How is that a dilemma. There is no future in Palmer, so fuck that guy.
Eh, I try not to be so harsh on Palmer. I wouldn't call him a bad driver, he's just not very good. Especially in a field thick with talent and really really promising rookies it's really easy to push him out. He probably has a racing future, just not in Formula 1.

Absolutely. He's a solid driver and he seems pretty non-political, Mercedes would be crazy not to retain him. Not up there with Hamilton and Alonso etc but still good enough to pick up the points behind them and also help score some big results when their No 1 has a bad weekend.
Yeah an extension for Bottas seems like a no-brainer. I still don't think we've seen what he's actually capable of. Let's not forget he was thrust into the team and with only a few months of practice in the car. Lewis' engineers have known Lewis' setups for years but Bottas' for half a year. I'm really interested to see what he can do next season (presumably with Merc).

For comparison, every gushes about Max at RBR for good reason. But last year, his first year, he was fairly consistently out-qualified by Ricciardo. This year the reverse is becoming the norm. Not to say that Bottas will out-qualify Lewis next season, but I think there will be more of a fight for pole than this year.

Fox Mulder

Rumors say the halo is all but confirmed for next year

QGRGA9d.gif

It looks like shit, but they want to get rid of shark fins and coat hangers for aesthetic reasons.

There's been one death in decades due to slamming into a tractor where a halo wouldn't have mattered. Theyve since made the VSC and Whiting is super conservative with dangerous conditions.

I also wonder what something like a Grosjean over Alonso crash would look like if the car gets snagged in the halo with all the razor aero bits on the floor of these cars.

Zaru

There's been one death in decades due to slamming into a tractor where a halo wouldn't have mattered. Theyve since made the VSC and Whiting is super conservative with dangerous conditions.

Agreed. Bianchi was tragic but he died due to conditions that are independent from the car.
The Halo wouldn't do much in situations like Massa's accident.
Wheel tethers should eliminate the risk for getting hit on the head by one, and that was a really low risk to begin with.

Someone at the FIA decided that head protection has to be an issue now even though it really statistically isn't, and now we're basically stuck with a visual change that hurts the image of F1. Halo or shield, doesn't matter.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Justin Wilson and Henry Surtees died from getting hit in the head by a large object. If the stepped nose or penis nose or shark fin didn't stop people from following F1, the Halo or the Shield won't either. I prefer the Shield over the Halo though, as it seems to cover more situations like Massa's incident.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There's been one death in decades due to slamming into a tractor where a halo wouldn't have mattered.

There have been way more than just one death. It doesn't matter if they weren't in an F1 car, and even in F1 there was more than just one major incident. Everybody forgets María de Villota for some reason.

BTW, does this ruling cover F1 only, or are they going to use it in the other formulae as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom