• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaru

I forgot which racing series had this, but alternate corners (joker laps) which could (had to?) be used at some point in the race are kind of a "weird but works" thing that I wouldn't mind in F1.
Not gonna happen without reworking every track though, so it's impossible.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I forgot which racing series had this, but alternate corners (joker laps) which could (had to?) be used at some point in the race are kind of a "weird but works" thing that I wouldn't mind in F1.
Not gonna happen without reworking every track though, so it's impossible.
Rallycross does this. WTCC did it in their last race, but WTCC being what it is, that was the only place where position changes occurred.

Zaru

Considering they also made a last minute tyre change for Verstappen and Hamilton slowed down to nurse his tyres after being informed of the other incidents, it's probably something that was on the track.
Edit: A track marshall who noticed debris supports this

xrnzaaas

Man what a disaster for Ferrari. So many team and individual (Seb) points lost. Also Kvyat needs to go before he completes his transformation into a torpedo.

tomtom94

Considering they also made a last minute tyre change for Verstappen and Hamilton slowed down to nurse his tyres after being informed of the other incidents, it's probably something that was on the track.

It's worth noting, although possibly entirely a coincidence, that it was the British Grand Prix in 2013 which was marred by cuts to the tyres that Pirelli blamed on debris, ultimately resulting in them fucking up a perfectly good season reverting to a previous moulding process.

Shaneus

So is there anything that could be done to *aero* regulations/specs to make it easier for cars to follow in dirty air? Or are the aero guys in each team just going to ways around certain regs to make their car as fast as possible regardless?

That was Chris Pine playing Kirk, no? Don't blame you for confusing the acting Chris' though
I didn't confuse them, the guys commentating did.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Thought it was a fun race TBH tho after he got pole and a good start it was clear Ham was taking 1st barring catastrophe.

I was watching with my buds at the NY F1 meetup which was again awesome. Sat next to some Danes that were of course Max fans, they had been to Austria the previous week.

Again shit luck for Max with that tire problem early on. Should have had podium and potentially second. Maybe I am seeing things but IMO it looks like the RBR and Ferrari cars are pretty even on pacing.

Bottas is fucking next level right now. I was pissed when HAM came out of the pitstop and blocked him. They said later on over the radio that HAM should let him pass but the opportunity was gone. It's like c'mon we get it you selfish bastard - Bottas needed the time for his pit.

Speaking of Team MB, when they go into their dialed to 11 race mode, holy crap. Bottas was gobbling up the track on the softs when he dialed it up. Very impressive.

The end was fun with the chaos but I think what you guys have been saying is right on, seems like MB has solved their issues and will be destroying the competition going forward. Since Monaco they have won 3 of 4 and Bottas has been 2nd in every race except Austria which he won.

Managed to watch the race without spoilers and no commercials, yay dvr. I thought for what is usually a not so exciting race, this one was pretty good with the individual battles, the hecticness at the end and seeing Ricc move all the way up was fun. Also if the rumors are true, Sainz leaving Toro Rosso in fitting fashion.

chadskin

So this is a thing ...

Q4R8wSuiOiGKBpfqELs5OvoQc8iO1kXuR6FekIH-Epf1zKMfj6PlcBrbGiLjfYjTnZQ=h900
zZhGKZlrD7XK_OaSYTZTGd5cxPBDEBdLbRE9eBQ-WPoxkR7IhPtZMSZOpilixOA0YVs=h900

Shaneus

Managed to watch the race without spoilers and no commercials, yay dvr. I thought for what is usually a not so exciting race, this one was pretty good with the individual battles, the hecticness at the end and seeing Ricc move all the way up was fun. Also if the rumors are true, Sainz leaving Toro Rosso in fitting fashion.
Rumours?

DBT85

Bottas is fucking next level right now. I was pissed when HAM came out of the pitstop and blocked him. They said later on over the radio that HAM should let him pass but the opportunity was gone. It's like c'mon we get it you selfish bastard - Bottas needed the time for his pit.

Not sure BOT was held up for more than a few corners tbh and HAM would have been back on his tail straight away anyway. Same tyres but HAMs were much newer and he had the pace anyway. IIRC HAM replied over the radio "I'll pull him with me" and then proceeded to pull away.

Mohonky

The fuck?

Hamilton was on brand new tires, Bottas would have just being holding him up.

Watched the race and is it just me or does Hamilton speak to Bottas more than he did with Rosberg in the cool down room?
So this is a thing ...
I for the most part don't care what the man does in his off time and I'm honestly supportive of him...but clearly he is high off his own bullshit.
Man what a disaster for Ferrari. So many team and individual (Seb) points lost. Also Kvyat needs to go before he completes his transformation into a torpedo.
Kvyat's Hatsu is not being able to turn and taking out any driver in his vicinity. If a Red Bull driver is near he's locked into a collision course.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The fuck?

Hamilton was on brand new tires, Bottas would have just being holding him up.

OK so we have different opinions. Bottas was in a more aggressive engine mode than Ham was in the same car. Seems like a waste of the consumable resources for Ham to have come out like he did where at the time every tenth picked up by Bottas helped to try and get him out ahead of Vettel who is ultimately the main foe.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/...-prix-interactive-lap-times-and-fastest-laps/

Shows on Ham's pit lap that Bottas was a full 1.3s slower than his previous 3 laps and never regained that pace. Eventually yes, he would have been holding him up but it wouldn't have been a right away thing. Moot point regardless since it was a 1/2 finish anyway.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Bottas is fucking next level right now. I was pissed when HAM came out of the pitstop and blocked him. They said later on over the radio that HAM should let him pass but the opportunity was gone. It's like c'mon we get it you selfish bastard - Bottas needed the time for his pit

Your name is coincidental, considering Hamilton had pulled away at the end of the Wellington straight after giving Bottas the benefit of DRS. Followed by the benefit of a tow down the National and Hangar straights.

Fox Mulder

I don't think kvyat is in danger really. Redbull has to worry about Verstappen leaving when his contract is up, Sainz wants out now, and they don't seem ready to pull up Gasly yet.

Business

Your name is coincidental, considering Hamilton had pulled away at the end of the Wellington straight after giving Bottas the benefit of DRS. Followed by the benefit of a tow down the National and Hangar straights.

Bottas lap times say otherwise. The lap before Hamilton pits it's a 1.32.2, the lap Hamilton comes out in front of him it's a 1.33.5 with DRS and all, the next lap it's again a 1.32.4.

Personally I don't think Hamilton should have done different but it is what it is.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Apparently Mercedes did not bring any major updates for Silverstone, they will bring some aero stuff to Hungary, but the big one update is planned for races after the summer break

And I think that Ferrari got hampered by FIA directive about oil burning, because their engine performance dropped after Canadian GP.

dl77

Watched the race and is it just me or does Hamilton speak to Bottas more than he did with Rosberg in the cool down room?

It's funny as I always used to think it was just because they were fighting so hard in the race. However there's been a number of occasions recently where people have been saying how easy going Bottas is compared to Rosberg and that Nico was often trying behind closed doors to try and pull the team over to him.

Of course could just be guff as he's no longer there to defend himself!

John_B

2017 British Grand Prix report by Mark Hughes
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2017-british-grand-prix-report

Impediment:
No, he hadn't impeded, said the stewards, he'd merely ‘effected' Grosjean's car. The distinction of this? It was judged that his car itself was not physically in the way, but that its aerodynamic wake did effect the Haas. This distinction dates back to Monza 2006 when Fernando Alonso was infamously penalised for having impeded Felipe Massa's Ferrari even though the Renault was running about 200 metres in front. The aero wake did ‘effect' Massa on that occasion but it was later agreed that this interpretation could not practically be considered impeding and the sporting regs were tweaked to prevent a repetition.

Tires:
There were concerns coming to Silverstone about the durability of the front-left Pirelli. The cars are five seconds faster than last year. Through Copse they are pulling 5.2g compared to 4.7 in 2016. Through the bumpy Chapel corner they were seeing speeds of 291km/h (less than 280 last year). ”These cars are just monstrous around here. They're like the ultimate rollercoaster ride," Hamilton had said with a gleam in his eye after qualifying. Drivers were getting out buzzing with the sheer thrill of expressing their cars' performance through the fast corners. Not only fast, but long-duration too. Around this clockwise circuit that meant there was a potential wear limit on the left-front.

The effect of that was to poise the race very delicately between a one- and two-stop. An early three-lap safety car (for the colliding Toro Rossos at Becketts) swayed it towards a one-stop, but that strategy carried with it the inherent risk of running into that front-left wear limitation.

If your position was established and wasn't under any threat, and the cars in front too far away, you could afford to nurse the tyre. But if you were Ferrari – trying to a) hang onto Hamilton or b) fend off Valtteri Bottas on his transposed tyre strategy from his penalised grid place – then you couldn't surrender, you just had to push up hard against that limitation, and then hope.

That gamble went bust for Räikkönen two laps from the end and for Sebastian Vettel a lap later. The Ferraris were just not quite as quick as the Mercedes W08 around here, especially that of Hamilton. Also, the respective traits of the two cars – how their lap times are derived – allowed the Merc to be easier on the fronts, and enabled the team to come into the race with an unambiguous one-stop plan. The Merc around these long turns had a balance that allowed Hamilton and Bottas to turn the car in late and have it simply follow its nose. The Ferraris, by contrast, tend to initially slide their fronts, then rely on a more suddenly rotating rear to turn the car. Around Silverstone, that wore out the fronts quicker than on the Merc.

dl77

Weird how the pendulums swung as up to this point it's predominantly been the Ferrari that's been better with it's tires.

I think the problem Ferrari have is that they have pretty great car that's relatively easy to dial into a circuit. Mercedes have a fantastic car that had been difficult to get working at it's best. Now that they've ironed out a lot of the issues that left the car underperforming and have found a good set of baselines to start from on a weekend they've taken a step ahead of Ferrari.

For the past few season Ferrari just seem to struggle with a solid development plan throughout the season whereas Mercedes are pretty consistent with their improvements.

Mohonky

Weird how the pendulums swung as up to this point it's predominantly been the Ferrari that's been better with it's tires.

I think the problem Ferrari have is that they have pretty great car that's relatively easy to dial into a circuit. Mercedes have a fantastic car that had been difficult to get working at it's best. Now that they've ironed out a lot of the issues that left the car underperforming and have found a good set of baselines to start from on a weekend they've taken a step ahead of Ferrari.

For the past few season Ferrari just seem to struggle with a solid development plan throughout the season whereas Mercedes are pretty consistent with their improvements.

Yeh it does seem the tires were a massive issue for Merc (remember 2013 they had the same issue, massive quali pace, ate tires all race) but I remember either Hamilton or someone else at Merc saying at the start of the season it was an issue but at a later race saying they are starting to understand their chasis and why its happening.

They seem to still have an issue at some tracks and some compounds but it doesnt seem quite as bad, but this weekend it seemed Ferrari were just having to go with it and hope for the best. Redbull caught onto it, Hamilton only a few laps into the softs was already saying they were blistering even though it wasnt obvious in replays and slo-mo (and he was in free air and it still happeb), but Ferrari pitted Vettel early so he had to go long on them, he was fighting hard and at times in traffic so maybe not surprising.

Aiii

So not worth it
Has Kvyat been sacked yet?

He might be safe if the Sainz rumors are true, unless they replace him with Palmer. But with only Gasly available from the RB stable of junior drivers, if they have to replace Sainz, there's nobody to put there.

John_B

Apparently Mercedes did not bring any major updates for Silverstone, they will bring some aero stuff to Hungary, but the big one update is planned for races after the summer break

And I think that Ferrari got hampered by FIA directive about oil burning, because their engine performance dropped after Canadian GP.
Both Mercedes and Ferrari brought big engine upgrades to Silverstone. Ferrari was the only team down on performance in Baku after the FIA clarified their position on oil burning. They were running a low drag setup to compensate on the straight.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Both Mercedes and Ferrari brought big engine upgrades to Silverstone. Ferrari was the only team down on performance in Baku after the FIA clarified their position on oil burning. They were running a low drag setup to compensate on the straight.

Oh well, I stand corrected, so journalist spoke about aero parts probably

TCRS

Banned
I miss the BBC coverage of F1, even after Jake left and Suzi took over it was still great. Loved watching the post race and F1 Forum while chilling on a Sunday afternoon. I would look forward to the coverage as much as I did the race and a lot of the time it actually more entertaining, SKY is just not the same, can't stand the hosts, the only thing I watch now is the gridwalk, the race with sky commentary because of Brundle, and Teds Notebook.

Seriously BBC was the best time I ever had watching Formula 1, it was so good. Especially the Forum afterwards where they really took their time to talk to people and analyze the race. Nowadays it seems like they are in a rush to end the broadcast asap. C4 as the successor is doing an okay job with the commentary but otherwise nothing beats the BBC era. Good times. Sky.. fuhgeddaboudit.

Business

Vettel's problem could be easily explained by the fact he pitted very early (on lap 19, the first to do so not counting Kvyat who had to pit after his crash with Sainz) and he destroyed the tyre with that massive flat spot fighting Bottas.

Verstappen pitted next on lap 20 and had to do a second stop too.

Raikkonen's problem could not be related to degradation, Pirelli says it was a 'different issue' to Vettel's.

Razgreez

If I may go back to the topic of engine sounds, I'd like to know what the point is of having them so loud you have to use ear-plugs to not hear them so that you can actually listen them?

For example, the last race I attended was the 2011 Malaysian GP and those V8's were still so screamingly loud that, to the unprotected ear, it felt like the sound vibrations were literally perforating your eardrums like tissue paper, peeling your skin from your flesh (from the inside out) and turning your brain to mush as it rattled in your skull.

So you couldn't actually "listen" to the cars anyway. I will admit that the off throttle sound of the blown diffuser V8's was ridiculously satisfying as the exhaust note turned from a scream into a low growl. I was sitting on the main straight precisely where the braking point was and could bask in that sound all weekend long

Jezbollah

He might be safe if the Sainz rumors are true, unless they replace him with Palmer. But with only Gasly available from the RB stable of junior drivers, if they have to replace Sainz, there's nobody to put there.

Given how patient Red Bull seems in general, this Sainz stuff has to be pretty toxic. Amazing.

Zaru

If I may go back to the topic of engine sounds, I'd like to know what the point is of having them so loud you have to use ear-plugs to not hear them so that you can actually listen them?

For example, the last race I attended was the 2011 Malaysian GP and those V8's were still so screamingly loud that, to the unprotected ear, it felt like the sound vibrations were literally perforating your eardrums like tissue paper, peeling your skin from your flesh (from the inside out) and turning your brain to mush as it rattled in your skull.

So you couldn't actually "listen" to the cars anyway. I will admit that the off throttle sound of the blown diffuser V8's was ridiculously satisfying as the exhaust note turned from a scream into a low growl. I was sitting on the main straight precisely where the braking point was and could bask in that sound all weekend long

I can watch videos of V8/V10 engines for enjoyment and entertainment. As in, the sound alone gives me goosebumps like great music would. It just tickles something inside me that feels... good. Feels... right.
I can't do that with these V6 engines. I can appreciate that they're marvellous pieces of engineering, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom