• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

The latter. Should've seen it coming that they would get stuck behind Verstappen, otherwise I doubt Vettel would have ended up in front no matter what.

I said it earlier and I watched an interview with Toto later that pretty much confirmed it; they didnt understand the tyres. They expected others to pit earlier (particularly Verstappen). They knew Hamilton would be pulling up to him quick but expected him to pit before Hamilton got stuck up behind him which of course didnt happen.

Theres probably a bigger window between 'tyres are going to shit' and 'tyres have gone to shit' than they though coupled with a setup that was probably more aggressive on the tyres than the others (and certainly more than Ferrari which has been good on them for a few years now).

Lots of new regulations and design philosophies and it seems Merc caught themselves out today. Ferrari are definitely right on their heels and its been awhile since they've been pushed so they (and Hamilton) seemed to be in panic stations. Merc havent been great at strategy, even with a really dominant car they often managed to throw the drivers into poor positions which they've been able to claw back from with sheer pace but they wont have that luxury if Ferrari keep up current pace so they'll have to start getting their strategy right this year.

Fox Mulder

It's nice Ferrari won for the optimism, but merc gave away the win like they've done when someone else got the win the last few years.

I'm really bummed out about how redbull looks this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong or the regs changed, HAM had to use the tires he was on in Q2, which were used ultras from Q1. Everyone else was on a fresh set. He was always gonna pit earlier than the rest.

Rahvar

But correct me if I'm wrong or the regs changed, HAM had to use the tires he was on in Q2, which were used ultras from Q1. He was always gonna pit earlier than the rest.

If I recall correctly they werenew tires. Just another one of the graphic issues during the weekend

I'm not too worried about red bull. They didn't exactly come out swinging last year either but they got it together quickly enough. The first race is hardly indicative of the season to come

Zaru

I'm not too worried about red bull. They didn't exactly come out swinging last year either but they got it together quickly enough. The first race is hardly indicative of the season to come
Australia is not exactly the luckiest of locations for Red Bull.

2009 - No points
2010 - Retired from pole and 9th
2011 - Win but other car down in 5th
2012 - 2nd and 4th
2013 - Wasted a pole, 3rd and 6th
2014 - Disqualified, DNF
2015 - DNS, 6th
2016 - DNS, 4th
2017 - DNF, 5th

The curse continues.

Shaneus

Yeah, I don't think RBR have ever really been strong season starters. Which is a shame, because it means no home victories for Webs or Danny :(

Shaneus

So those rumours about McLaren moving back to Merc engines might not be so farfetched after all... My dad knows someone who works in McLaren's gearbox department and my dad told me that they'll be switching later in the year once they've worked everything out.

I still hold an I'lll-believe-it-when-I-see-it mentality, but watch this space I guess?
Not that I don't personally believe you (it does sound like the classic "my cousin's uncle's father-in-law") but the only person I'll believe in this thread is Hammer.

Deadman

FvUWp3g.jpg

Alright, who beat me?

I'm in the top 5% of the global and US rankings but in the middle of GAF? Damn you people. Sad thing is that I have no changes I want to make for China.

Spladam

Never mind, I joined the league from the pre season thread link.
Bleh. Got 25th place in the GAF league. Aside from VET and HAM swapped, I had places 1-9 on lock. Then Danny fucked it all up and everyone shifted up a place.
Holy crap me and you had very similar picks, same top 3.

Tubie

I mean Alonso almost did as well as other Mercedes powered teams with his shitbox.

I don't see what the benefit is in them losing the Honda money and just getting a 2016 spec Mercedes engine, other than better reliability.

mozfan12

Banned
I didn't think the Australian GP was all that great or interesting but it at least made me more interested in the rest of the season. I'm not a Vettel fan, but I'd rather have a competitive season than Hamilton/Mercedes dominating the championship. Maybe we'll even have a competitive Constructors championship for once. At the very least we didn't have half of the racers leaving the race due to car problems like last year.

Spades

As "hardcore" F1 fans would you rather:

1) Races that can legitimately won by at least 4 different drivers

Or

2) Races that one team dominates but overtakes down the field are frequent?

Or

I enjoyed the last few seasons and watched way more races to the the end compared to the Schumachere era.

Danielsan

I hope Ferrari can stay competitive all year. I don't care for either Ferrari or Mercedes. But I enjoy seeing Vettel and Hamilton battling it out. I really do hope that Red Bull can get its shit together during the season though. A three team battle at the front is still the dream.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm in the top 5% of the global and US rankings but in the middle of GAF? Damn you people. Sad thing is that I have no changes I want to make for China.

I'm top 10% world wide and in the bottom 25% of the GAF league.

My guess is that because the predictions opened very late, not many people actually entered in their predictions. And they count every member who's registered before and have long since left.

itsgreen

Or

I would rather have exciting races.

It has been made pretty clear this race that you can be a lot quicker than the person in front of you, can gain ground with over sec a per lap, but when you are in the 1.5 sec window behind. It stops.

Let's say that's boring.

(To be fair, that was also the case last year, but the tyre deg was more so people were on different level tyre wear more often, enabling bold looking overtakes)

Did bad in the GAF league, tought the bulls would be a lot quicker.

I like that Ferarri looks like a good competition to Mercedes, hope they can improve the car over the season.

Aiii

So not worth it
So TIL that McLaren uses its supercomputer used to analyze race- and sensor-data to predict ideal moments for pitstops in a children's hospital, where it analyzes vitals and predicts heart-attacks, before any normal human could. Apparently the number of heart attacks dropped from 18 to 4 yearly.

They also help Oxford with sensors that are attached to potential surgeons to map their movement during mock surgery so they can determine whether they are improving enough to become surgeons, or rather are better off being radiologists or general practitioners or something like that instead.

Another thing they did was train hospital employees in pitstop techniques, so they could better organize and optimize patient transfers from the emergency room to the ICU, since that generally takes coordinating about 25 doctors and nurses in a few minutes.

BigAl1992

Or

Number 1. If you're a fan of a particular team or driver, I can understand about someone preferring number 2 but Formula 1, and this is what I have to think about as a fan who's watched it all my life, has to sell itself to the casual fan or observer, and that means the races need to have close battles at the front end of the grid between different drivers from different teams. It's​ fine to discuss about the overtakes between drivers lower down the grid amongst ourselves, but Formula 1 is a brand first and foremost, and it needs close racing across the season at the sharp end of the grid in order to sell itself.

RSP

Or

Would be great to have a four or five way battle for the Championship all throughout the season. HAM / ROS winning every race got boring quickly.

Juicy Bob

So TIL that McLaren uses its supercomputer used to analyze race- and sensor-data to predict ideal moments for pitstops in a children's hospital, where it analyzes vitals and predicts heart-attacks, before any normal human could. Apparently the number of heart attacks dropped from 18 to 4 yearly.

They also help Oxford with sensors that are attached to potential surgeons to map their movement during mock surgery so they can determine whether they are improving enough to become surgeons, or rather are better off being radiologists or general practitioners or something like that instead.

Another thing they did was train hospital employees in pitstop techniques, so they could better organize and optimize patient transfers from the emergency room to the ICU, since that generally takes coordinating about 25 doctors and nurses in a few minutes.
I kept waiting for the inevitable punchline that never came.

That and their roadcars show that Mclaren is still capable of doing something well.

Maybe it's all Honda 🤔

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
The continued woes of McLaren surprise me. I could maybe understand a poor performance in the first year since Honda were new. But for them to still be at the back of the pack, struggling to finish races due to engine and other mechanical failures is crazy. Just what exactly is going on there? I know that there was some boardroom shenanigans last year with Ron Dennis etc. Is the F1 program not getting the funding it once was now that McLaren is really focussing a whole lot on their roadcar division?

Is it worth the subscription to the FOM premium app? It's £19.99 for the year, I like additional stats and all that shit anyway, but with it looking like they're removing a lot of the graphics whilst I'm watching on Sky, probably to push people towards the app, I'm more likely going to pull the trigger.

Anyone else have it? Good value for money?

andshrew

Is it worth the subscription to the FOM premium app? It's £19.99 for the year, I like additional stats and all that shit anyway, but with it looking like they're removing a lot of the graphics whilst I'm watching on Sky, probably to push people towards the app, I'm more likely going to pull the trigger.

I last bought it in 2014 when the season only cost around £9. I think it's expensive for what it is, but at the same time it's only £1 per race...

It was good but the biggest issue was that the live timing was several seconds ahead of the TV.

Zaru

Removing graphics? The broadcast was a bit bugged out and I doubt that's intentional.

As for the app, I've only used it for the first race so far, but it's quite interesting. You get to see all the positions (in 3D), gaps, lap times and tyres (type, age), which is great if you like to know more than the broadcast tells you.

Apparently you can delay your data nowadays to sync with whatever you're watching.

dakun

If you're into live timing it's quite useful. Like other people said what you see on the TV is slightly delayed to the app, so to not get spoiled you have to pause timing on the app to sync it to your TV.

What i like about the app is that you get more and extended Radio messages between Teams and drivers. Also seeing all the sector times during the race and quali is really helpful to get an overall picture of what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom