• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewis is... shockingly reasonable/polite/optimistic despite being boned by his pit wall. 2008 was the last time I actually liked both main title contenders. Pleeeeeeeease, settle this on the track and not the pits.

Ark

Pat Symonds looks like he has cement for blood when he's not talking. He's actually a decent pundit though, fucking leagues better than Herbert.

All in all it's good there's some competition for Mercedes but the performance difference with the rest and even among the rest is way too big. The guy in 6th two seconds a lap slower than the leaders and the guy in 10th more than 3 seconds a lap slower, that's just ridiculous.
This and the fact overtaking doesn't seem easier when following is disappointing.

dakun

how the fuck is Raikkonen going to explain being 7-8 tenths off pace for all of the race and then putting in the quickest lap at the end where Bottas, Hamilton and Vettel tried the same.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
how the fuck is Raikkonen going to explain being 7-8 tenths off pace for all of the race and then putting in the quickest lap at the end where Bottas, Hamilton and Vettel tried the same.

"Bwoah."

It is weird.

Caramello

Better tyres at the end because he didn't push as hard I guess :p

Business

The tyres were death for Lewis. Needed to pit.

He was clearly faster than VER and I really doubt VET could have actually passed him on track. They needed to wait until they would be ahead of at least VER after the pit stop, but they covered VET's potential undercut instead. Maybe awful was an overtatement, but it was a clearly a mistake that costed HAM the win.

Kimi had equal times the final 10-15 laps, so yeah I'd love to know why he wasn't trying the rest of the race. He's going to actually need podiums if Ferrari want the constructor's title.
This and the fact overtaking doesn't seem easier when following is disappointing.
This track is always one of the worst for overtaking regardless, but it's true the new regulations are troublesome. More aero = harder to follow and overtake. The final corner splits the cars apart naturally. Final corner at Barcelona does the same and it turns the races there into a bore.

spuckthew

Constructor's Championship is going to be interesting this year.

Probably not. Kimi isn't going to pick up any wins this year, but Hamilton certainly will and Bottas might get a few (in addition to a bunch of podiums each). If it's this same top 3 for most races, Merc should take the WCC.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
He was clearly faster than VER and I really doubt VET could have actually passed him on track. They needed to wait until they would be ahead of at least VER after the pit stop, but they covered VET's potential undercut instead. Maybe awful was an overtatement, but it was a clearly a mistake that costed HAM the win.

I think that Mercedes did not plan so early stop for HAM, but he was all over the radio complaining about tyres - they should wait a lap or two more and they would cover VER. And HAM made a mistake in S1 on his last lap on US, so VET got into one second gap

Zaru

OHUsbS9.jpg

xrnzaaas

From a voluntary post.

But the people responsible for managing the race and keeping everything safe aren't volunteers. I really hope it wasn't a directive from Liberty Media to allow the fans to cheer from up close during the victory lap.

Theorry

He was all over the radio talking about the tyres being death etc.

But the people responsible for managing the race and keeping everything safe aren't volunteers. I really hope it wasn't a directive from Liberty Media to allow the fans to cheer from up close during the victory lap.

I was getting the feeling it was a definite media stunt.

Lach

I can totally see Hamilton having to push really hard (and destroy his tires) due to the pressure from Vettel. That would hint at Ferrari being indeed the faster car.

dakun

lol Alonso with harsh word there "we are last". Alonso is probably up there with the biggest highs and lows any champion had to deal with in his career ever. From being double champion against the most successful driver of all time to being in one of the worst and most embarressing engine manufacturer comebacks ever

Grug

Hamilton would have struggled regardless of the pit strategy. Had fresh tyres and couldn't even get past Verstappen on olds. Lewis just wasn't comfortable out there. Sounded very anxious on team radio.

Not an exciting race by any traditional measure, but I'm really excited to see that Mercedes might have some legit competition now. Reckon some big drama is coming this season. Pressure does funny things to athletes.

tomtom94

To be honest I reckon Hamilton and Mercedes underestimated the effect of the new aero regs or just expected Vettel and Verstappen to stop sooner. They were comfortably quicker on fresh tyres in clean air, so the undercut clearly still works.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I can totally see Hamilton having to push really hard (and destroy his tires) due to the pressure from Vettel. That would hint at Ferrari being indeed the faster car.

At the very least they had equal race pace. Vettel was always in control.

Spades

To be honest I reckon Hamilton and Mercedes underestimated the effect of the new aero regs or just expected Vettel and Verstappen to stop sooner. They were comfortably quicker on fresh tyres in clean air, so the undercut clearly still works.

It didn't look that comfortable at the beginning tbh.

McNum

Hamilton has a tendency to think he can do a better strategy from the cockpit than dozens of guys together with all the data.
That and despite being one of the fastest guys on the track, when his car is running perfectly, he has a notable weakness in crisis management. If there's even a small flaw, he'll focus on that and start making poor judgment calls.

Like today. Tires aren't perfect anymore? Better switch to some with less grip!

While his raw talent is undeniable, he really needs to read the manual for his car. Or trust his team just a little more. This is not the first time a defect or perceived defect has harmed his race much more than it would have harmed his closest competitors with the same error.

That and despite being one of the fastest guys on the track, when his car is running perfectly, he has a notable weakness in crisis management. If there's even a small flaw, he'll focus on that and start making poor judgment calls.

Like today. Tires aren't perfect anymore? Better switch to some with less grip!

While his raw talent is undeniable, he really needs to read the manual for his car. Or trust his team just a little more. This is not the first time a defect or perceived defect has harmed his race much more than it would have harmed his closest competitors with the same error.

Think we need to get past the whole "Lewis is dumb/doesn't do his homework while everyone else does" thing.

He's struggling with grip with Seb big in his mirrors, the team is telling him to target a time eight tenths faster than the car can go at that point in time.

It's the first race. The race is the homework and they were all learning on the job. By your logic all the people on the pit wall should just have told him they cant stop or hell be stuck in traffic because they have all the data and didn't make the right choice with all the info THEY had.

Unless the pit wall told Lewis he needs to stay out or hell be in raffic and Lewis ignored them, it's just as much on the team. Lewis only knows what's on the rack and in his mirrors. If there's more info it's up to the team to use that extra info and make the proper judgement

McNum

Think we need to get past the whole "Lewis is dumb/doesn't do his homework while everyone else does" thing.

He's struggling with grip with Seb big in his mirrors, the team is telling him to target a time eight tenths faster than the car can go at that point in time.

It's the first race. The race is the homework and they were all learning on the job.
Maybe. This is just the first race, yes. Everyone is learning, and Vettel and Ferrari just ran a clean race and everyone else did not.

I just caught myself thinking "Less complaining, more racing!" more than once with Hamilton's radio chatter. Maybe his negative comments are over-represented in the TV feed, but I can see comments on losing grip, even if it's not more than anyone else is losing due to tyre degradation, to be taken a bit too seriously if you're jumpy after seeing that the easy lead of last year isn't going to happen today.

I really do hope he's gotten better at driving when there's a bug or a minor defect. It's a horrible way to lose points, and as last year showed, every single point counts, so be ready to do some in-race improvising when, not if, those gremlins show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom