• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Can't wait for the F1 / Crusader Kings crossover game.

What's the purpose of the weird extrustions on the side of the cars?

Those are the air intakes, the engines are inline-4s and I believe it's mounted that way because it's the most direct way for air to get to the engine.

DD

Schumacher finishes 8th, just in front of Piquet.

Heh.

giphy.gif

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I see. I guess it doesn't affect the aerodynamics of the car significantly?

The shape of the mount reduces the drag to an insignificant amount. I like how it looks, it's very unique to F3. But then again, I like any open-wheel race car with a roll hoop in place of an airbox.

Speaking of GP2 qualifying, nothing can compare to what happened during the qualifying at the Monaco round in 2011. Featuring such names as Marcus Ericsson, Jules Bianchi, Giedo van der Garde, Esteban Gutierrez, Max Chilton, Charles Pic, Joylon Palmer and an unfortunate Romain Grosjean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_3oZV0VaI
Poor Grosjean, he got so many laps ruined that he couldn't set a time in the 30 min qualifying session. This is also why they split the cars into two qualifying groups at Monaco now.

DD

Speaking of GP2 qualifying, nothing can compare to what happened during the qualifying at the Monaco round in 2011. Featuring such names as Marcus Ericsson, Jules Bianchi, Giedo van der Garde, Esteban Gutierrez, Max Chilton, Charles Pic, Joylon Palmer and an unfortunate Romain Grosjean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_3oZV0VaI
Poor Grosjean, he got so many laps ruined that he couldn't set a time in the 30 min qualifying session. This is also why they split the cars into two qualifying groups at Monaco now.

LMAO! What the f...

Juicy Bob

Greetings from Silverstone where the missus and I are in town for the WEC.

There's so much going on at the track. If you've ever considered going to a WEC event, do it. We have another F3 race, Formula V8 and Euro Le Mans races to look forward to today before catching up with qualifying later.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Greetings from Silverstone where the missus and I are in town for the WEC.

There's so much going on at the track. If you've ever considered going to a WEC event, do it. We have another F3 race, Formula V8 and Euro Le Mans races to look forward to today before catching up with qualifying later.
Aye! Enjoy yourselves! We need a proper WEC thread.

Mastah

The lap times says it is more then that. Something like 1s. Just going from 2000 to 2001 there was a massive change to lap times even though the minimum weight rules were not changed. There was some other changes going from 2000 to 2001 (limit rear wing aero etc.). But still they went around 1 to 3 seconds quicker.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2000/fastest-laps.html
https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2001/fastest-laps.html

There was no TC allowed in Australia, Malaysia, Brazil and San Marino and you can clearly see, when comparing qualifying times, they still improved 2-4 seconds per lap compared to 2000.

It was the massive increase in tyre grip thanks to tyre war, which decreased lap times so significantly. Exactly the same thing happened between 1996 and 1997, when Bridgestone entered the sport.

Though the engines just changed to V10s in 2000 so those probably still kept going forwards.

Huh? Renault was running their V10 since 1989, Mercedes since 1994 and Ferrari since 1996.

A better comparison is going from 2007 to 2008 when they lost somewhere around 1 second even though the only rule change in the cars themselves that was changed was the TC ban and standard ECU. Every other part should have gone forward so the loss from TC probably was more then the ~1s.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2007/fastest-laps.html
https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2008/fastest-laps.html

Comparing fastest laps is silly, but hey, let's go for it:

2007 Australia 1:25.235 2008 Australia 1:27.418
2007 Malaysia 1:36.701 2008 Malaysia 1:35.366
2007 Bahrain 1:34.067 2008 Bahrain 1:33.193
2007 Spain 1:22.680 2008 Spain 1:21.670
2007 Turkey 1:27.295 2008 Turkey 1:26.506

Somehow I see they actually have gained 1 second, but hey.

I couldn't find any solid source, but one post at F1Technical mentions that Steve Matchett, former F1 mechanic, said TC gives 1-3 tenths per lap and better consistency during long runs, that's about it.

Zaru

I couldn't find any solid source, but one post at F1Technical mentions that Steve Matchett, former F1 mechanic, said TC gives 1-3 tenths per lap and better consistency during long runs, that's about it.

That's about all I could find as well. For a skilled driver in a perfect lap, it doesn't seem change much.
The real benefit is in the long term - less tyre wear thanks to reduced wheelspin, better lap time consistency, and it probably flatters less skilled drivers.

Yagami_Sama

Nyck de Vries still a member of the McLaren young driver programme?

And Markelov did a great job. And poor Leclerc. I thought he would cruise to the win.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Man, the Formula V8 3.5 series is rather sad with only 12 cars. At least a Fittipaldi is leading...

Mastah

What an absolutely amazing performance in "Formula 2 Tyre Saving Management While We Cruise 5 Seconds Per Lap Slower Than 10 Years Ago" by Markelov. I'm sure Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull are all queuing up to sign this guy after seeing this race.

It's a fucking joke compared to what it was before 2011. At least I was able to watch few GP2 seasons before it all went to shit with this car, Pirellis and now DRS.

Look, consistent tyres, no DRS and still we got superb racing, how is possible, how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6QlGEO56pI

dakun

Schumacher finishes 8th, just in front of Piquet.

Heh.

Schumacher got 6th place and the best rookie prize in the second race. Not bad at all.

I would be very happy to see a "MSC" driving in Formula 1 in a few years. (maybe in a Ferrari?)

Zeknurn

Ok brotkasten, you're on. The Ferrari seems reliable enough.

Kimi's long run pace yesterday looked mighty strong and barring any technical issues and strategy fuckups, they should be able to compete for the win.

Danielsan

Can't watch qualifying nor the race because either my ISP fucked up or the guys working in our street messed up our cable. No internet and tv until Tuesday, at least. Absolutely furious right now. Will have to see if I can catch the race elsewhere tomorrow.

Loris146

FP 3 was useless anyway. Let's see what happens in quali. My bet is Hamilton Vettel Bottas Kimi . Red bull behind by more than 0.5s.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hamilton and several other drivers said yesterday that free practice sessions during afternoon in Bahrain are total waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom