• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Break the Bank is the heart of the album. Shit is pretty perfect to me. Q battling his past and present demons and coming through and "making it". Video actually compliments it and almost makes it better than it already is. Special track IMO.

Honestly replace Hell of a Night with Fuck LA, and just fuck The Purge (so out of place). Tyler needs to evolve so much. Same person for years. Definition of stale right now.

Dereck

Break the Bank is the heart of the album. Shit is pretty perfect to me. Q battling his past and present demons and coming through. Special track IMO.

Honestly replace Hell of a Night with Fuck LA, and just fuck The Purge (so out of place). Tyler needs to evolve so much. Same person for years. Definition of stale right now.
Kind of silly how Earl's production sounds more developed than Tyler's at this point.

injurai

Banned
the only thing more try hard than oxyhype has been oxyhate

Break the Bank is the heart of the album. Shit is pretty perfect to me. Q battling his past and present demons and coming through and "making it". Video actually compliments it and almost makes it better than it already is. Special track IMO.

Yeah, I really enjoy that song.

overcast

tumblr_inline_msgvasnhYH1qz4rgp.gif

Esch

Banned
lmao

To be honest, songwriting is more about the way you tell your story than what you're talking about.
Yep. Some of the guys with the most interesting stories in rap are hush hush about their past, or just have never rapped about it much.

Edit: lol @ overcast of course.

JohnDoe

Banned
I couldn't disagree harder if you had said Drake is the best rapper alive.

You've got a good point; Drake isn't very good at telling his stories imo. From a technical standpoint at least. I also dislike the way he comes across when he whines about his fame or women who wronged him :p

But the point is that he tells his story in a way that a relatively big part of the population finds compelling. There's probably a significant amount of rappers out there who sing about heartbreak but you'd be hard-pressed to find many that are very successful because of it.

Fevaweva

lmao

To be honest, songwriting is more about the way you tell your story than what you're talking about.

Totally agree. A great songwriter can make a boring story actually sound vaguely interesting or can make the listener identify with the story.

Which is exactly what Ye does, when he isn't just being braggadocious or deliberately elitist.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There is a difference between songwriter and storyteller. You don't always have to tell a story to make a great song. Kanye used to make great songs, and occasionally he made some great songs that told some stories. But he is in no way one of the greatest storytellers in raps. Most of his shit is bragging and silly punchlines tinged with humor pulled largely from his interactions with the media and fans. He stretched his abilities on early tracks like Family Values and Through the Wire, but largely dropped even attempting the device on later tracks. NiP isn't telling a story, but it's a great song. Black Skinhead almost does, but drops any attempt after the first bar, but y'all seem to like it.

Pac told stories. Big did too, to a lesser extent. Em did. Nas does. Shit, Game did. Cube did.

There is a difference between songwriter and storyteller. You don't always have to tell a story to make a great song. Kanye used to make great songs, and occasionally he made some great songs that told some stories. But he is in no way one of the greatest storytellers in raps. Most of his shit is bragging and silly punchlines tinged with humor pulled largely from his interactions with the media and fans. He stretched his abilities on early tracks like Family Values and Through the Wire, but largely dropped even attempting the device on later tracks. NiP isn't telling a story, but it's a great song. Black Skinhead almost does, but drops any attempt after the first bar, but y'all seem to like it.

Pac told stories. Big did too, to a lesser extent. Em did. Nas does. Shit, Game did. Cube did.
Cole is a good story teller. He just picks boring beats to tell them lel.

Esch

Banned

Yep. I think its weird how people fetishize storytelling as an aspect of rap. I like a good story, but when I think of my favorite rap songs stories rarely rank high. My favorite is still GZA's Exploitation of Mistakes though, or Betrayal by Gang Starr.

What was the last real story track by Ye? Big Brother?

JohnDoe

Banned

I don't really know what we're arguing about right now. lol

This is my whole point of view on the story-teller vs songwriter thing you mentioned: Whether you are *really* telling a story or not, you are selling songs. If you want to tell a story in song-format, you better be "good" at songwriting because your shit won't resonate well with the audience.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yep. I think its weird how people fetishize storytelling as an aspect of rap. I like a good story, but when I think of my favorite rap songs stories rarely rank high. My favorite is still GZA's Exploitation of Mistakes though, or Betrayal by Gang Starr.

What was the last real story track by Ye? Big Brother?

I tend to agree, but then we think about some of the greatest tracks of all time.

Pac - Ambitions, Changes,
Cube - Good Day
Em - Stan
Outkast - BYOB (nope) Ms. Jackson
Big - Juicy

There are just a lot of storytelling tracks in the GOAT list. There are a lot that aren't too though.

I don't really know what we're arguing about right now. lol

This is my whole point of view on the story-teller vs songwriter thing you mentioned: Whether you are *really* telling a story or not, you are selling songs. If you want to tell a story in song-format, you better be "good" at songwriting because your shit won't resonate well with the audience.

For a change I'm not being argumentative. Just making an observation and shootin the shit about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rise of an Empire tracklist:

1. Euro – We Alright ft. Birdman & Lil Wayne
2. Drake – Trophies
3. Lil Twist – Bang ft. Euro & Cory Gunz
4. Tyga – Senile ft. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne
5. Euro – Induction Speech
6. Lil Twist – One Time ft. Tyga & YG
7. Shanell – Hittin Like ft. Chanel West Coast
8. Nicki Minaj – Lookin’ Ass
9. Gudda Gudda – Fresher Than Ever ft. Jae Millz, Flow, Mack Maine & Birdman
10. Lil Twist – Back It Up ft. Tyga
11. Lil Wayne – Moment
12. PJ Morton – You Already Know ft. Mack Maine, Gudda Gudda & Jae Millz

Lmao even the Drake track is one of the worst tracks Drake has done

PBY

Banned
Rise of an Empire tracklist:

1. Euro – We Alright ft. Birdman & Lil Wayne
2. Drake – Trophies
3. Lil Twist – Bang ft. Euro & Cory Gunz
4. Tyga – Senile ft. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne
5. Euro – Induction Speech
6. Lil Twist – One Time ft. Tyga & YG
7. Shanell – Hittin Like ft. Chanel West Coast
8. Nicki Minaj – Lookin’ Ass
9. Gudda Gudda – Fresher Than Ever ft. Jae Millz, Flow, Mack Maine & Birdman
10. Lil Twist – Back It Up ft. Tyga
11. Lil Wayne – Moment
12. PJ Morton – You Already Know ft. Mack Maine, Gudda Gudda & Jae Millz

Lmao even the Drake track is one of the worst tracks Drake has done

DEAD. They wanted a Drake verse, he was like, yolo take my leaked track that didn't even make my album.

PBY

Banned
Oxy is growing on me. The Purge and Hell of A Night are still ass, but I'm liking it more than I did when I first heard it.

Same. It does the nice thing of not selling out totally, but maintaing a slick sound. I do like Gravy too.

I'll never love this album, but I do like it.

HiResDes

Ignore that Eric Dingus, beats are amazing, the rapper is one of the worst ever. If you like Young Thug this dude is the best biter ever!!!!

PBY

Banned
YOOO

I thought trap was dead. BEEN TRILL just brought this shit back. Whew. Bumping this tonight before going out.

HiResDes

This is what I'll be riding to tonight

What a mix:

Dinero Dinasty - Toni Braxton
Picard Bros - You Are My High Remix
Young Thug - Picture Baby
Obey City - Wait
Lido - Money
PARTYNEXTDOOR - Make A Mil
Oneohtrix Point Never - Chrome Country
Imami - Meat Grinder
Slick Rick Da Master - Video Clash
C.Z. - Stuck
Lucid - Heartagram
Dj Yolo Bear - Why U Playin ?
Cashmere Cat - Pearls
Marcx - OTL
Kay Drizz "The Club Princess" & Dj Tray - Pound Cake
Nadus - Nxwxrk
Mike Q & Sinjin Hawke - Thunder Scan
Byrell The Great - Qween's Antidote
Neana - Slow
Wolf In A Spacesuit - Wake The Shadow (Canblaster Remix)
Tina Turnup - Cater 2 U
Kay Drizz "The Club Princess" - Honest
Dj Tricks - Bound 2
Dj Sliink, Dj Hoodboi & Trippy Turtle - Sucka
Sea Floor - Missing You
Atlantis - Islands
Beat King - Cuffin (Sinjin Hawke & Zora Jones Bootleg)
Samename - Nuriko
Dj Tricks featuring Mike Gip - Set It Off
James Ferraro - Rata
Coon Daddy & Dj Godfather - See U No Mo
Dj Paypal - You Got Me
Dj Nate - Love U In Slow Motion
Teeflii - Get Yo Eagle On

Cole's stories tend to feel forced and repetitive, especially on his two albums. How many women can he tell us about who fuck everyone on campus, are gonna drop out, etc. Switch your shit up man, and stop sounding so judgmental.

Drake has next to no storytelling talent. In fact he's deficient on nearly every characteristic a great rapper requires - storytelling, vivid rhymes...basically lyricism in general. He has the flow but even that is repetitive as fuck, unless he's doing the Migos thing.

JohnDoe

Banned
Drake has next to no storytelling talent. In fact he's deficient on nearly every characteristic a great rapper requires - storytelling, vivid rhymes...basically lyricism in general. He has the flow but even that is repetitive as fuck, unless he's doing the Migos thing.

True. Drake's selling point is catchy songwriting and not expertise in lyricism or technique. People like his lyrics because he comes across as sincere... and because of his songs catering to women.

It also helps the production on his albums is on point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Need someone besides peter to verify that BEEN TRILL tape.

Cole's stories tend to feel forced and repetitive, especially on his two albums. How many women can he tell us about who fuck everyone on campus, are gonna drop out, etc. Switch your shit up man, and stop sounding so judgmental.

Cole isn't really that judgmental, he almost always provides both sides of the story, turns every song into a sort of battle of the perspectives. Often being judgmental is what he criticizes, esp. in songs with both male and female perspectives. What he lacks is conviction and delivery.

Also I don't really feel a great rapper has to have great storytelling to be great, just so happens a good chunk of them are storytellers. If you got bars you got bars.

And I'm not sure how the Migos flow is the exception from being repetitive. That shit is has been worn out so heavy already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom