• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe

Banned
This been trill trap pack breh

1StartWithTheHeadNod.gif

kamspy

At least you've got a mayor I can relate to.

It's rare to come across an accomplished politician who even remotely resembles a human being.

I'm leary of anyone in power who DOESN'T get high once in a while to take the edge off. They gotta be fucking stressed to the gills. Good lord.

Every high ranking politician should be mandated to take either alcohol, cannabis or benzos daily. Preferably cannabis, but yall know most people are more comfortable with beer and pills.

The thought of world leaders swimming in that stress 24/7 and never getting the perspective one gets during a good head change seems impossible. I would think it would effect their decision making in a negative way to never get away from it.

Now Rob Ford took it too far. Sure he'd be president in kam's libertarian anarchist society, but he should know that shit is too far out for this society. You took it too far dude.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rob Ford is like the poster child for fucking up in life, including at things you thought previously were impossible to be a fuck up for.

Between what he (hasn't) done for the city and what he does in his personal life, yeah your average human being has about 10x the responsibility he does.

kamspy

Rob Ford is like the poster child for fucking up in life, including at things you thought previously were impossible to be a fuck up for.

Between what he (hasn't) done for the city and what he does in his personal life, yeah your average human being has about 10x the responsibility he does.

I'd argue that the average mayor has 10x less fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd argue that the average mayor has 10x less fun.
Probably, until it reaches it's inevitable conclusion.

Though it does seem Ford is damn near immune to reaching said conclusion so maybe you're right.

Still, fuck the dude for what he's did to impede better transit in the GTA.

kamspy

Probably, until it reaches it's inevitable conclusion.

Though it does seem Ford is damn near immune to reaching said conclusion so maybe you're right.

Still, fuck the dude for what he's did to impede better transit in the GTA.

Mayor must have more power up north. When I got into my local government phase, it really seemed like the mayor of Cincy was a figurehead more than an active legislator. Almost like the royals in the UK. Maybe it's different in other cities in the US too.

Still, I'll trade you Mallory for Ford any day of the week and throw in plans to build a street car that doesn't really travel anywhere.

kamspy

Nothing like the old soothing feeling of lowered expectations to make me melt into an album.

As a follow up to HnC it's Doggfather status. I'm having a hard time thinking of a larger drop off in album quality from one to the next. Maybe Goblin to Wolf.

kamspy

The good tracks make me sad because I don't have more of them.

I realize this is a selfish feeling. I bitch about it because Q wants $15 for it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It has a couple playlist worthy tracks and that's about it.

People expecting it to be something incredible are way off.

Why not just enjoy the good tracks?
That's usually my approach. It's great when an album comes along that's worth listening to as a whole, but most I can just cherry pick the best for playlists.

overcast

Damn, been a while since I've seen Kampsy post. Good to see you beat that case and are back to supporting Goblin.

Ready to hear that Exquire tape.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It has a couple playlist worthy tracks and that's about it.

People expecting it to be something incredible are way off.

Why not just enjoy the good tracks?
No one's disappointed because it's not GKMC, people are disappointed because it's not close to either of his two previous projects.

And just because I'm disappointed, doesn't mean I can't enjoy the tracks either, I just feel like some will wear faster than others. I probably will still buy a copy too.

i dunno man. that dude seems pretty sober. could be a photoshop.
Lmao

kamspy

Damn, been a while since I've seen Kampsy post. Good to see you beat that case and are back to supporting Goblin.

Ready to hear that Exquire tape.

People probably think I'd like to take back calling Goblin a classic. They'd be wrong. It's golden. The only bad song is kill shit burn people fuck school. Yonkers, the intro, tron cat, the groovy summer love songs. sandwiches. Shit has bangers that last front to back.

Question to GAF HOP:

If mixtapes were as prevalent then as they are now, would we have Illmatic? Would Nas have broken up the verses piecemeal and sprinkled them across a bunch of mixtapes before releasing "I Am" as his ""debut"" album?

I don't think we'd have Illmatic, or a gang of other albums we consider classics.

It seems bad, but I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad thing.

Your thoughts? (assuming of course the internet is everywhere like today, jackass)

overcast

We see a lot of artists drop tapes that are better than studio albums. I mean, Krit, Cole, Q, ASAP, Tyler. I would say they are all victims of hype. The only album I don't like out of those artists was Goblin, yet for the most part, people look at these debuts as letdowns (or just bad) compared to their prior works. Maybe it's because these guys just succumb to trying to live up to the hype, maybe pressure. Not sure. I think Illmatic would have been that first tape before being signed or w/e.

Not sure if I'm making sense, doesn't seem like it. Anyway, I think the word classic needs to be shut down for a bit. Hip-hop listeners love that word.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Certain artists seem to be able to manage their tapes by putting true B sides on there. Some are just impatient (J.Cole) and blow their wad on a ton of tapes (J.Cole) and end up with an album full of fluff (J.Cole) and reheated versions of stuff already heard on their mixtapes.

Some, like BoB use mixtapes to make music they like, then use the albums to eat off tween girl money.

I think the answer, Kam, is dependent on what Nas was about when he dropped Illmatic and if his decision making was any better then than it is today. ...which it would've had to been, right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So apparently Young Thug IG'd this:

254687.jpg

Me and Stunna man aka @birdman5star lookin like a million !!!! #KissinEachOtherLove !!

overcast

Make a pause-worthy Instagram post while in the rap game brehs.

Enzo, is Marvel Unlimited a good way to get deeper into comics?

Dereck

I know what The Purge is supposed to sound like, and what it is trying to do, but it isn't doing it.

The beat sounds incomplete, a lot like the rest of Tyler's beats.

To be fair almost half of Illmatic was released previously on Nas' demo, including a different version of It Ain't Hard To Tell. Many heads had heard NY State of Mind before knowing the album was coming.

The biggest difference now is the internet and sample clearing. Anyone can release a mixtape but only a handful make an impact; some of this has to do with who is managing your shit (see Chance The Rapper), who is getting major label help behind the scenes (see Trinidad James), etc. But overall even the grimy dude with no help can drop a huge mixtape.

Samples also play a big role in what rappers can do on their mixtapes but can't on their albums. KRIT is probably the most sample dependent producer in recent memory, hence his album sucking: he couldn't get anything cleared. Pairing new artists with producers handicapped by sample limits leads to safe albums. Cole beats didn't knock on his mixtapes, but their samples were more interesting/better than the album production so far.

Also I do believe people waste great ideas on mixtapes. But that's more of a statement about the artists' limitations as a songwriter; a good artist has more than a handful of good ideas to use. Cole's mixtapes are way better than his albums, they're more ambitious whereas his albums feel like training wheel stuff. Whereas Kendrick's album is a natural progression from his mixtapes, and superior; likewise Drake Take Care is him taking the potential of his mixtapes and reaching it. Not hating on Cole but I can't see how he can listen to his second album and be satisfied after hearing GKMC or Take Care. Production/music wise they're just on another level. Cole improved but his drums still suck. The telling moment is that first track on Born Sinner - great strings, I like the Biggie sample...but the drums are just wtf status. And he's laughing while the beat plays as if he just blew everyone away. Go listen to Lord Knows or Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, then listen to anything on Born Sinner. Stark contrast.

T Dollarz

Listened to the first part of that BEEN TRILL on my way in to work... Thank you for gracing my subs. Man that shit knocks. Can't wait to bump the rest later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom