• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

tumblr_n1fpkmQK9M1ritka9o1_500.jpg
DAMN

kodecraft

There is a difference between songwriter and storyteller. You don't always have to tell a story to make a great song. Kanye used to make great songs, and occasionally he made some great songs that told some stories. But he is in no way one of the greatest storytellers in raps. Most of his shit is bragging and silly punchlines tinged with humor pulled largely from his interactions with the media and fans. He stretched his abilities on early tracks like Family Values and Through the Wire, but largely dropped even attempting the device on later tracks. NiP isn't telling a story, but it's a great song. Black Skinhead almost does, but drops any attempt after the first bar, but y'all seem to like it.

Pac told stories. Big did too, to a lesser extent. Em did. Nas does. Shit, Game did. Cube did.

T.I. can tell stories too. 'Still Ain't Forgave Myself' is an example of this. All rappers should be able to tell stories, but can't, rap is poetry.

PBY

Banned
Really impressed by Lil Herb. He's like 17 and he can really put together a banger with something more than nonsense rapping.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Black Skinheads isn't really a story, it's a critique of internalized slavery. It's one of those songs where even if you hate Kanye for the fashion shit you should be into because he's criticizing himself.

i don't even understand this
Some particularly hip and religious stylists.

Black Skinheads isn't really a story, it's a critique of internalized slavery. It's one of those songs where even if you hate Kanye for the fashion shit you should be into because he's criticizing himself.

Actually Black Skinheads is some rich white yuppies discussing privatized prisons over hors d'oeuvres with Kanye West, who then calls Lupe Fiasco and tells him to write a song about it, while personalizing it for Kanye in the most tone deaf way imaginable, to fit his ego ("I'm a slave too!").

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Actually Black Skinheads is some rich white yuppies discussing privatized prisons over hors d'oeuvres with Kanye West, who then calls Lupe Fiasco and tells him to write a song about it, while personalizing it for Kanye in the most tone deaf way imaginable, to fit his ego ("I'm a slave too!").
This post even sucks for trolling purposes. The song has nothing to do with prisons.

The song is so damn near explicitly about internalized racism, I don't know how you could even miss that. It's not even out of touch with reality either like people seem to want to paint anything Kanye related. First verse is pretty much exposing all of those historical race expectancies and second verse is fuck you I'm going to do me and not adhere to even your white-negro conventions.

What part of this song is Kanye's ego? I'm genuinely curious, considering the entire song is not specific to Kanye or Kanye's problems, and it's not meant to be although he does make it personal in the opening and broadens the topic quickly.

Esch

Banned
ibxdRKQe7eCltd.gif

Detox

Luda just got ordered to pay 7k child support and he got a private jet and movie money. Nas pays more than 7 times that, ya boy got quiet money.

CRS

Yo I've been meaning to ask why is Krayzie making a video begging for a Nas feature just because they bumped into each other at best buy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPDxT446pI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Because Krayzie would like Nas to have a feature on his last album? Also, I don't see how that constitutes as begging. Plus, Nas will probably never see that video and Nas probably never knew who Krayzie was at the time. He was too busy comparing prices on a washer and dryer to worry about a feature for Krayzie Bone.

Esch

Banned
Lol this reminds me of the time Birdman said he was making more than Jay-Z.

Hov was just like ok, put some money down and I'll let you look at the books.
Yeah haha, but clearly that article is all bullshit right? Nas has way too many gold records and years of touring to be 6 million in debt. And of course PD and Detox, the most unbiased economic resources we have know way more about Nas' finances than some agenda ridden source like Bloomberg.

A quick breakdown on how Nas made the 200 mil he raps about in 'No Introduction'

Detox

Yeah Bloomberg the genius' who put 50 and Ross neck and neck. Oh wait TMZ the bastions of journalism just put out a story that Nas owes 6m to IRS ergo he is in 6m debt. Diddy owed 7k to the IRS so his total net worth must have been 7k in debt. C'mon Esch you're smarter than this.

Its all just guess work. People like Diddy, Jay and Dre are up there because they've made some public deals where the money can easily be followed. They'll never have the full picture.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah Bloomberg the genius' who put 50 and Ross neck and neck. Oh wait TMZ the bastions of journalism just put out a story that Nas owes 6m to IRS ergo he is in 6m debt. Diddy owed 7k to the IRS so his total net worth must have been 7k in debt. C'mon Esch you're smarter than this.

Its all just guess work. People like Diddy, Jay and Dre are up there because they've made some public deals where the money can easily be followed. They'll never have the full picture.
What's hard to follow about houses being foreclosed, and any money you're making on tour being taken to pay for your taxes? Is that indicative of financial stability or someone's pockets being good regardless?

Sounds like you're fucking up whether you've got some stashed away or not.

Yeah, Jay-Z's notorious for keeping his accounts hidden. He's walked away from some big investments for that reason. I can't imagine Diddy and Dre aren't the same way about their finances

HiResDes

Alright, this is a somewhat big announcement, but I'm going to start writing hip hop reviews for mixtapes and albums. I have basic coding skills, and would love some people to collaborate, this is my Jerry Maguire moment. I think it's a great idea, and I'll be able to cover a niche beyond basic sites like DEHH.

Esch

Banned
Alright, this is a somewhat big announcement, but I'm going to start writing hip hop reviews for mixtapes and albums. I have basic coding skills, and would love some people to collaborate, this is my Jerry Maguire moment. I think it's a great idea, and I'll be able to cover a niche beyond basic sites like DEHH.

This is true. Really there isn't a site in your lane lol

hxvu.png

sounds interesting, any more info?

injurai

Banned

you're saying you want to put up your own site no?

PBY

Banned
HMU. I can contribute better in an aid/per mixtape review deal- couldn't manage a project like this on my own. I'd fucking love to really help u on this.

HiResDes

They're so many albums and mixtapes for the masses to filter through and hip hop is arguably more widely accepted than ever. I feel like a site solely focused on covering what's new and exciting in the genre is most needed.

T Dollarz

They're so many albums and mixtapes for the masses to filter through and hip hop is arguably more widely accepted than ever. I feel like a site solely focused on covering what's new and exciting in the genre is most needed.

What will make it different from sites like HipHopDX and 2DopeBoyz?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Start with a blog type layout. Wordpress + your own domain.

Edit: Great idea by the way.
Agree with this.

I can help with graphics if need be, but yeah starting out, do something simple first to build your base of readers. Wordpress or tumblr are both great.

Esch

Banned

Your strength is the fact that you have your finger on the pulse of what's experimental, new and interesting, yet you're not a hipster cumstain sensu pitchfork and you can and do actually relate from a traditional fan perspective. That's what you have to offer the scene really. There's nobody really like you with that going on well.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Start with a blog type layout. Wordpress + your own domain.

Edit: Great idea by the way.

yep, wordpress might be my favorite site builder for getting something off the ground. versatile and easy to start getting something cookin. That and there's plenty of reference around for ideas and fixes.

HiResDes

What will make it different from sites like HipHopDX and 2DopeBoyz?
2dopeboyz doesn't really do reviews, and Hip-Hopdx only seems to cover very vanilla examples of the genre. I was also thinking about being able to feature articles commenting on the social impact of the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom