• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

I'll help if I can. Even if it's just spreading word or whatever. Can't tell you how many dope tapes I've heard based off your posts.

and ones I've missed despite seeing them posted

injurai

Banned
Start with a blog type layout. Wordpress + your own domain.

Edit: Great idea by the way.

Not sure I agree with this. Especially if Des wants this to grow beyond just a pet project. If you make it something that allows people to sift through and explore easily then you can start generating some ad revenue. Even if it doesn't grow big, covering domain + server costs as well as learning to ropes is never a bad idea.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Start small and simple and let the content speak for itself. I get my fix of hip hop news and reviews from this thread and then some, I see no reason that you guys couldn't get something decent going if you actually stick with it. I can't add much but I'll tune in for sure.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not sure I agree with this. Especially if Des wants this to grow beyond just a pet project. If you make it something that allows people to sift through and explore easily then you can start generating some ad revenue. Even if it doesn't grow big, covering domain + server costs as well as learning to ropes is never a bad idea.
Well, if you want to do this, you start with a blog. Easier to convince someone to check a tumblr or wordpress than some potentially shady website.

Plus, a good way to get people to turn people away is to wire your site with ads when you're starting up. Pretty much every upstart, big or small, worries about ads after they get people to check out the site first. Like Snuggles said above, let the content speak for itself. Ads will turn people away quick, and will only hurt now for what meager amount you can recoup.

Esch

Banned
30540_10200279117672862_1090751779_n.jpg

Well, if you want to do this, you start with a blog. Easier to convince someone to check a tumblr or wordpress than some potentially shady website.

Plus, a good way to get people to turn people away is to wire your site with ads when you're starting up. Pretty much every upstart, big or small, worries about ads after they get people to check out the site first. Like Snuggles said above, let the content speak for itself. Ads will turn people away quick, and will only hurt now for what meager amount you can recoup.

This is good advice.

I'd suggest building a base and finding core readers cheap to begin. That's going to be your blog/mailing list/social presence. Will let you engage with them more freely and have them interact with one another. Build community, get your name out there, spend little (if anything). Transition to a full site shouldn't be tricky from there, if you have good content and active fans. And you'll have people who won't be turned off by monetization.

Tumblr w/ custom domain + theme can be good for that. A lot of dudes going that route don't set their sites further though, you need to keep your mind on the transition to a full site that'll get you paid and how to move toward it. Engage engage engage. Talk to people on the daily. Get community events going. Have a set schedule. Drag people into Plug. Q&A. Guest spots. Everything you can to get people into YOU, a person, and your mindset with music. Find your KPIs and hammer that shit home until they're doing well enough to make cash.

The tough part is a one man review site and pushing content regularly. If you had staff I would say jump straight into it. But you find so much good shit that, you know, that part might just be whatever. In any event I'm here to help however you need just like everyone else.

Edit--I see a lot of people in this space moving far enough into serious engagement strategies as to have full CRM solutions for targeted community members and how often they speak directly to them, how often they're spreading your name, results generated, general feeling, etc. There are a LOT of exciting places you can go that nobody else is looking right now.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Alright, this is a somewhat big announcement, but I'm going to start writing hip hop reviews for mixtapes and albums. I have basic coding skills, and would love some people to collaborate, this is my Jerry Maguire moment. I think it's a great idea, and I'll be able to cover a niche beyond basic sites like DEHH.

Don't post much here, but love your quarterly hip hop threads. I wouldn't have even heard a lot of different mixtapes/albums if not for those threads.

You have my sword, Des, in terms of getting the word out. I have no idea how to code or anything like that but you'll get clicks from me.

Still think you need to give Oxymoron another chance though, no way is it a 2.5/5.

Name suggestions?

I was thinking of The Key Cipher, Hype Cipher, or Mic Toss

Why not just keep HiResDes? www.HiResDes.com. However is the site/blog going to be the nice previews you have, plus reviews? If its going to be that, and not really on hiphop news than maybe have something in the name that relates to reviews and previews.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You need a name that isn't too corny or blatantly HEY ITS ABOUT HIP HOP either or else it's just another blog in the pool of Ernesto's Mic Check! or DA BOOTH-esque sites. Seems like you're into more than just hip-hop too so yeah. It also needs to be google-able so don't use something generic either.

Vinyl Vision
Ten Inch Tape
Off The Record (this is probably a thing elsewhere isn't it)
some play on Long Play/LP
Rhyming Rainbow

Why not just keep HiResDes? www.HiResDes.com. However is the site/blog going to be the nice previews you have, plus reviews? If its going to be that, and not really on hiphop news than maybe have something in the name that relates to reviews and previews.
Yeah, this too.

The YT game can be lucrative too, even if you're just doing it for promo.

exarkun

Speaking of Ferg, dude spits some boring ass shit sometimes.

Miley's mom could get it. I mean gotdamn, I ain't into the whole Milf thing, but she looks better than most of the 20 somethings I meet at bars.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Alright, this is a somewhat big announcement, but I'm going to start writing hip hop reviews for mixtapes and albums. I have basic coding skills, and would love some people to collaborate, this is my Jerry Maguire moment. I think it's a great idea, and I'll be able to cover a niche beyond basic sites like DEHH.

Always down to help. I'm a journalist, so I can probably lend a hand writing or editing as need be.

Jitters

Are you talking generally? Expand a bit.

Well, he said new and exciting things in hip hop. Hip hop heads hate new and exciting. The people who seem to love all the fresh exciting hip hop are the "pitchfork-y" people Esch hates. The post-Kanye fans are into the new, hip stuff from what I gather.

overcast

I think there is a growing market for it, at least. Well, maybe just in music in general. Hip-hop slowly progresses on a mainstream level, but there is a ton of different things going on in the genre. I feel like it can be brought further into the eyes of most. Hip-hop has lost some grip on the mainstream as we've discussed before though. That has to help.

Maybe it won't happen though.

WanderingWind

Well, he said new and exciting things in hip hop. Hip hop heads hate new and exciting. The people who seem to love all the fresh exciting hip hop are the "pitchfork-y" people Esch hates. The post-Kanye fans are into the new, hip stuff from what I gather.

No they don't....lol. People remain on Kanye's nuts. Heads love Kendrick, give all kinds of love to Danny Brown.

Jitters

No they don't....lol. People remain on Kanye's nuts. Heads love Kendrick, give all kinds of love to Danny Brown.

Do they???? I was under the impression that crowd didn't are for him. Kendrick for sure though. While I think he is great, he doesn't do anything we haven't really heard before. So I'm not surprised he gets love.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The hell does this have to do with Kanye? His fanbase is probably the most open to new sounds just because a lot of modern artists have adapted his style. Just look at KTT, people fuck with anything, derivative or not.

Hip-hop heads don't give love to Danny Brown. Y'all need to look outside the weird forum-enthusiast bubble. Really, he is just another Pitchfork rapper and his fanbase is essentially people who want to listen to whatever is new irregardless of genre and perhaps the most open of open minded people, who at the same time might find a roadblock with his voice. Plus it's not like he's got any sort of seminal or outstanding works he's put out there. Y'all give Danny Brown WAY too much credit, consistently.

WanderingWind

Do they???? I was under the impression that crowd didn't are for him. Kendrick for sure though. While I think he is great, he doesn't do anything we haven't really heard before. So I'm not surprised he gets love.

Yes.
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/review-danny-brown-s-old-news.7600.html
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.2159/title.danny-brown-old
http://www.xxlmag.com/rap-music/rev...-his-demons-on-the-powerful-and-haunting-old/
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ng9e7/
Just for fun
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18565-danny-brown-old/

The hell does this have to do with Kanye? His fanbase is probably the most open to new sounds just because a lot of modern artists have adapted his style. Just look at KTT, people fuck with anything, derivative or not.

Hip-hop heads don't give love to Danny Brown. Y'all need to look outside the weird forum-enthusiast bubble. Really, he is just another Pitchfork rapper and his fanbase is essentially people who want to listen to whatever is new irregardless of genre and perhaps the most open of open minded people, who at the same time might find a roadblock with his voice. Plus it's not like he's got any sort of seminal or outstanding works he's put out there. Y'all give Danny Brown WAY too much credit, consistently.

...Kanye is still technically hip-hop. Heads still love him, even if his albums are becoming more divisive. I don't give Danny Brown any credit. I just pay attention, is all.

overcast

Wait, if Danny is "just another Pitchfork rapper", what is a pitchfork rapper?

Ridiculous simplification of Danny imo. XXX and Old are ridiculously praised, Hybrid is dope, and he has so many memorable features and singles. Dude has done well across the board, but he isn't selling to any crowd other than the one he has. He's at his ceiling.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, if Danny is "just another Pitchfork rapper", what is a pitchfork rapper?

Ridiculous simplification of Danny imo. XXX and Old are ridiculously praised, Hybrid is dope, and he has so many memorable features and singles. Dude has done well across the board, but he isn't selling to any crowd other than the one he has. He's at his ceiling.
That is Danny's fanbase though, I explained it in my post, and you touch on it with the selling to the crowd stuff. He's a critical darling because he is unique, which immediately translates to quality for many of these publications who pander to the exact audience that consumes this stuff, just look at the glowing reviews for hot garbage like Black Up. Does that necessarily mean your average hip-hop fan fucks with him though? I don't think so. That bubble is much more crossover than it is your average hip-hop fan.

I just see meme rap thrown at anyone remotely unique.
Meme rap isn't actually a thing, or relevant here even.

WanderingWind

Who is the average rap fan then? And where and how do they voice their opinions? Nearly every site from the small rap blogs to the major pubs gave Old great reviews. There is no unified rap forum fanbase, any more than there we all agree in this thread on what's good or not.

It just seems like you're not a big fan of Brown, tbh. Which is fine, but I dislike Kanye and I can still recognize his achievements. I never said DB is the GOAT, but that he gets plenty of love. I think I proved that.

overcast

That is Danny's fanbase though, I explained it in my post, and you touch on it with the selling to the crowd stuff. He's a critical darling because he is unique, which immediately translates to quality for many of these publications who pander to the exact audience that consumes this stuff, just look at the glowing reviews for hot garbage like Black Up. Does that necessarily mean your average hip-hop fan fucks with him though? I don't think so. That bubble is much more crossover than it is your average hip-hop fan.

Meme rap isn't actually a thing, or relevant here even.
Yeah, I realize that him being "unique" helps him with the pitchfork crowd. I just don't see how that can be used as an insult against him. Danny is pretty damn diverse. And Black Up is dope breh...

So who does cross over? I can see Kanye for sure, but who else? Kendrick might be able to depending on his second album.

Meme rap is basically a joke. Like it literally means nothing, I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom