• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

SerTapTap

Can you play through the game mostly as a ship? I love cave flyers like thrust, gravity force etc,MSI I was looking forward to this as a rogue-like cave flyer. The Mech thing kind of threw me tbh,and the various move sets it seems to have look complex.

I'm sure I'll try them out, but I don't want progression to rely on that, so knowing it can be played through more like a cave flyer would be good to know.

The Mech is pretty simple. Slash, charge slash, shield, grab/throw. Same button count as the ship, movement is identical except the lack of Juke and it forces you to get in close to hit with the sword. But yes, you can use the ship for almost any combat situation, only certain minor puzzles require brief use of the mech. Play around with the mech on one of the episode 1 levels though (no risk if you die on level 1 basically) it's probably not as bad as you think

Volcynika

Got through Season 1 in one go, somehow survived the final episode even though I did the end part kinda terribly. Enjoy it so far, interested to see how big a jump in difficulty it is from 1 to 2.

labx

Banned
having trouble with the controls and flying the ship. I hope I can get used to them, because the game is pretty much a dream come true.

danowat

Banned
having trouble with the controls and flying the ship. I hope I can get used to them, because the game is pretty much a dream come true.

Stick with it, it will click, although I still have trouble when things get busy and I end up flailing my fingers around like an octopus trying to shoot, boost, juke and strafe.

muteki

Had my first death last night. Got caught in a tricky spot in 1-3 or 1-4 and drove right into some lava. Going back through again, and much better this time around. Boost moar. I'm not sure what actually gets kept when you die, because I seem to be back at square one.

Also having trouble with Strafe after I learned it. Seems unpredictable which direction it will take you.

SerTapTap

Anyone going into 3-5 should take their time and move slow. There are crazy amounts of enemies in that level. Also, be really careful when picking up laser upgrades on level X-5 in case you don't find Crash's ship to exchange them (I'm not sure he's in every level, I couldnt' find him a couple times), being stuck with a weapon you're not familiar with/don't like can hurt a lot especially against a boss.

I really wish there was more selection in the start of mission shop, I've unlocked some really cool stuff I never get to buy. And found some stuff I've never gotten blueprints for, like heatsink (immune to fire/lava) which is amazing fun when you happen to be near lava

SerTapTap

Lava is your friend if you have the heatsink upgrade, just lure a huge group of enemies to a pit fly into it and just shoot at the lava and let it do the work.

Or with the mech, grab people and toss 'em in the lava. Mech is a great way to make use of all the environmental hazards.

SerTapTap

Wanted to try it, but the talking! Is the whole game as narrative/voice heavy as the tutorial?

Gameplay feels great, though.

There's actually very little talking outside of the end of each season after the first, aside from the enemy chatter. You can just mute the voices too I think. I actually rather like most of the enemy chatter but most of A Tak's is bad (SPACE JUNK KACHING). Or rather, it's needlessly frequent. Cut his pick up/kill bug quotes to like 1/10th the frequency and they're fine.

Heyt

Banned
Is this normal? I've been trying to get through season 1 for a while and everytime I die I lose EVERYTHING! This game has one of the toughest starts I've ever played...!

I also get crash coins from time to time but Crash won't redeeem them between missions because...?

DirtyLarry

So wait, perhaps I misunderstood the game last night. It made it seemed like if I quit the game, even while on the main ship in between missions, it would not keep my progress unless I got through 5 episodes and did not die. Is that not the case?
Can I do Mission 1, quit the game, fire it back up, and it will start with playing Mission 2?
If so completely ignore my previous impression, as I thought you could not do the above.

muteki

Is this normal? I've been trying to get through season 1 for a while and everytime I die I lose EVERYTHING! This game has one of the toughest starts I've ever played...!

I also get crash coins from time to time but Crash won't redeeem them between missions because...?

I read somewhere that blueprints are supposed to carry over and I did find one before I died, but not knowing the game well yet I'm not sure if that gets me anything. I'm not sure what the blueprint was for really.

danowat

Banned

Yup, that's the game!.

Biggest tips that helped me were, take it easy and explore everything, money, scrap coins, upgrades and blueprints are extremely important to progress, also, don't just charge headlong into a fight, plan ahead, have a strategy to each fight, if you play it like a shmup, you'll be on a hiding to nothing.

Temp shields are very important, as many as you can get, and once you see them starting to go, turn and run and let them recharge because once they go, they're gone till you buy more.

So wait, perhaps I misunderstood the game last night. It made it seemed like if I quit the game, even while on the main ship in between missions, it would not keep my progress unless I got through 5 episodes and did not die. Is that not the case?
Can I do Mission 1, quit the game, fire it back up, and it will start with playing Mission 2?
If so completely ignore my previous impression, as I thought you could not do the above.

You can back out once you finished (and are back at the ship) say Season 1 - Episode 3 and come back later, and everything will be as you left it.

You lose pretty much everything apart from (completely unlocked?, as some have multiple requirements, i.e. 1 of 2) blueprints if you die and when you finish a season.

SerTapTap

I read somewhere that blueprints are supposed to carry over and I did find one before I died, but not knowing the game well yet I'm not sure if that gets me anything. I'm not sure what the blueprint was for really.

Blueprints unlock the potential for items to show up in the store. You have to check every store in a season if you want a good chance of getting the good stuff, it's somewhat like like Binding of Isaac's store. You unlock stuff but still have to find it in the store to actually use it. Green/red crates give you instantly applied items, blue crates unlock items for the store.

Quit when you're aboard the space ship in the briefing room. The game should have said this after your first mission

NIN90

So I'm between episodes on the ship. Do I have to return to the main menu or can I just quit the game to keep my progress so far?

antitrop

I was surprised how easily I mastered the ship's controls, but the real depth is obviously going back and forth between ship and mech form with fluidity and finesse.

XaosWolf

Completed Season 1 last night and got to S2-3 before I killed myself by accidentally slicing some explosives when my shields were down.

Died once on the boss of season 1 because of the multi slash thing it does. Next time round I made sure I bumped up my shields and concentrated on using my missiles.

Controls mostly clicked, but I get flustered sometimes and I end up holding boost down continuously. =P

Awesome game! Especially the Mech and grappling mechanic!

BSpot

I just wanted to clarify. I just started 2-1 and made it to the turrets in the Space Hulk. I am able to shoot my grapple out, but it buzzes at me and doesn't latch on to anything. That is the grapple bug, yes?

[edit] Yes it would seem so. I thought I was slick and pushed the transponder into the warp beacon with my shield (heh!) and hit Triangle but the transponder warped out and I was left there, with a mission of "Carry the transponder back to the warp beacon..."

I quit out..

I'll play this (great) game again when these (bad) bugs are fixed.

Played yesterday and I was enjoying myself and was pretty deep into a level when after I killed something my ship was gone and I couldn't do anything. I guess it's some kind d of a bug. Will probably wait till the game is patched cause it really ruined the experience

Just hearing about all the other bugs as well I hope they fix them soon

I really, really dig this game mechanically and aethetically but the bugs, crashes and rather consistent performance drops are big downers (and have affected my progress a fair bit so far.)

I think you're really onto something clever here, jkool. Good luck with the patching and improvements. If the Steam version drops and the little remaining issues are fixed, I am likely to double dip.

Solid game.

jkooXL

There is also an issue with pickups, I'll try to explain.

I have full missiles, I bust open something that provides a missile pickup, I can't pick it up as I have full missiles, but if I use some and return to it, I still can't pick it up.

This is a known issue, if you transform to and from your current form you can generally pick up those missiles. We're working on it!

jkooXL

Live in Japan, I'm depressed that I can't find any release info for Japanese PSN and have been following this game since the original E3 announcement.

Counterintuitive since they have a studio in Kyoto.

I may break down and create a US account >_<

The Asian releases are coming, for the first round we chose to focus just on NA and EU, the submissions process is long and involving, and we only have one producer who hasn't slept properly in weeks. Once we get over this launch hump we'll start zeroing in on the JP and Asian releases.

Also, for the first time ever, the entire company (all whopping 9 of us) are in the same office up through PAX, here in Seattle. I don't want to start the Japanese Press tour hardcore until I'm back in Japan and can dedicate full resources to it. Should be ready to go early fall? Maybe right after TGS?

jkooXL

I just wanted to clarify. I just started 2-1 and made it to the turrets in the Space Hulk. I am able to shoot my grapple out, but it buzzes at me and doesn't latch on to anything. That is the grapple bug, yes?

[edit] Yes it would seem so. I thought I was slick and pushed the transponder into the warp beacon with my shield (heh!) and hit Triangle but the transponder warped out and I was left there, with a mission of "Carry the transponder back to the warp beacon..."

I quit out..

I'll play this (great) game again when these (bad) bugs are fixed.

Sorry, all known issues, most of them are already addressed, we'll be submitting our Week 1 patch by the end of this week, should be live early next week that fixes ALL this stuff! Thanks for the patience!

Unit24

So the chatter is going to be reduced in an update? Thank god. I might actually wait until that update happens to play it again, because it was really distracting.

BSpot

Sorry, all known issues, most of them are already addressed, we'll be submitting our Week 1 patch by the end of this week, should be live early next week that fixes ALL this stuff! Thanks for the patience!

Oh I ain't mad, man! I mean, sure I'm a touch disappointed I can't play more right this second... but trust me... the fact that even with these bugs, you still have people's eagerness is a huge statement about what you guys have produced.
When it gets sorted, I'm back in. Simple as that.

AEREC

Really digging the game but it does feel like it lacks a little polish (mainly small performance hitches for me). Looking forward to next weeks patch.

Also the chatter doesn't really bother me...the dialogue does feel like it flows a bit too fast and unnatural sometimes though.

SerTapTap

Beat Season 1 and 2 without dying yet. Hopefully Season 3 gives me the go around I've been wanting.

3-5 is pretty brutal and I didn't even reach the boss. There's a definite ramp-up and new enemy types (mostly "elite" versions of stuff you saw before). Annoyed I died but also kinda glad. IMO the game was way too easy until 2-5

Shin-chan

Sorry if this has been posted, but is there a time frame for the EU PS+ discount?

I'm thinking about buying the game but I want to see if I get a bonus from work this week or not first.

Also, for those with both would you recommend this or Helldivers for someone who isn't going to be playing any co-op in the latter?

Zocano

3-5 is pretty brutal and I didn't even reach the boss. There's a definite ramp-up and new enemy types (mostly "elite" versions of stuff you saw before). Annoyed I died but also kinda glad. IMO the game was way too easy until 2-5

I thought Season 5 wasn't out for another month.

Mbrill82

Ok, can someone please explain to me how to strafe? I got distracted just as I earned the ability last night and I missed the explanation. I've tried to find the answer online but no luck. Please help!

BTW I love the game so far. I'm pretty much getting my butt kicked but I'm really having fun. Love the style.

SerTapTap

Ok, can someone please explain to me how to strafe? I got distracted just as I earned the ability last night and I missed the explanation. I've tried to find the answer online but no luck. Please help!

BTW I love the game so far. I'm pretty much getting my butt kicked but I'm really having fun. Love the style.

It's weird, but it's not complicated, just hold the strafe button and you sort of slowly circle the same point due to how your ship thrusts. Make faster movements with the boost button, and you can modify your axis with the stick, but that's usually not the point. I don't strafe often, I find backing up while shooting lasers or rushing in and out with the robot is usually better

manfestival

I dont know why... I want this game so bad. I hate games like this normally but the art style has me so intrigued. Kinda like cuphead as far as interesting games that I dont normally care for.

Mbrill82

It's weird, but it's not complicated, just hold the strafe button and you sort of slowly circle the same point due to how your ship thrusts. Make faster movements with the boost button, and you can modify your axis with the stick, but that's usually not the point. I don't strafe often, I find backing up while shooting lasers or rushing in and out with the robot is usually better

Which is the "strafe" button? Do you mean the thrust button?

Top Bottom