• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I assume at some point, Dany will find out about Jon's bloodline and then it totally rethink everything up to this point?

I don't think she's going to be happy at all with Jon's parentage. Like she said to Jon in the episode, her entire pillar of strength is her believing in herself, it's the idea of her destiny. When she finds out Jon is the one-true-king she ain't going to take it well.

What? They tried adapting Dorne from the books and they failed, that wasn't pandering just poor choices and execution.

They did it in response to the audience loving Oberyn. He was brilliant to be fair to them.

They then cut the story line in reaction to it being hated. Alexander Siddig mentioned in an interview he was originally contracted for many more episodes.

I will be legit mad if Jamie dies. I love that dude

Its funny if you told me that back in Season 1 I would have called you crazy. I remember when I hated Jamie as much as any other character on the show.

But my dude is playing dumb here and needs to realize his sister is full on insane

Barzul

Man Theon had better be on one hell of a redemption arc because if not just put my mans out of his misery. Like why does he keep surviving, he must legit think he is cursed.

Slater

Banned
D&D don't give a shit. The inclusion of the dorne story line show they're happy pandering to their audience.

Or just doing what will happen in the books. Remember, book nerds shit on them hard for 'the door" for a day till they found out that was also going to be canon in the books.

I don't think she's going to be happy at all with Jon's parentage. Like she said to Jon in the episode, her entire pillar of strength is her believing in herself, it's the idea of her destiny. When she finds out Jon is the one-true-king she ain't going to take it well.

I mean, Jon's still most likely a bastard. We really have nothing to go on other than theories that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married.

Game of Thrones and Star Was have the best costume design I've ever seen. Everything else might as well be Halloween costumes.

I feel like stuff was a bit bloated and baggy in earlier seasons.

Now? Everyone's clothing and armor looks sleek as hell. Jon's armor with the stark coat is badass.

tumblr_otxm7slLim1rhvm7bo2_1280.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm probably alone in hating all these reunions and meetings. They should be epic, or at least emotional, but it's literally two characters doing episode recaps of their adventures to each other.

Next episode spoilers

looks like there's going to be a big open battle between dothraki and Lannister soldiers. I bet that that Lannister army has the gold from highgarden and that's what the bank said they were waiting for as it appears they won't fund them unless they pay off some of their debt with that gold. But I think dany and dothraki win that fight and get the loot so Cercei never gets support from the iron bank. But next episode's battle is gonna be sweet. Prob will be best episode so far.

This episode made it seem like the Lannister army look very formidable as a fighting force as well as being lead by formidable leaders, and unlike the soldiers guarding Castely Rock, Jaime's foot soldiers are wearing breastplate so gonna be a costly battle for Dany.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Lannisters winning too much. I feel like Dany is going to be a dragon next episode and decimate both the army and navy.

Gleethor

I do think at this pace they could have easily done 2 more 10 episode seasons instead of the shorter ones.

I don't think these seasons are actually shorter because D&D thought it would serve the story better. I think they're just bored / tired of making the series
Actors get paid by the episode, too. So this could've been done to save money.

Speevy

Banned
How will we find Euron Greyjoy's fleet?

"He's everywhere. Just look for that ridiculous ship with the red thing on the front."

Vyer

As far as costumes go, I really dig the look of Queen Cersei and her Queensguard's armor

The problem is that this show almost never uses any style in its editing or direction.

Almost the entire series is just either characters talking or big action set pieces.

So when they use a well-worn technique like Tyrion talking over the taking of Casterly Rock, something seems off.

What is the most off-putting is that they crammed the taking of Casterly Rock, the surprise fo the burned ships, the defeat of the Tyrell forces, and Olenna's conversation with Jaime into a period of time so short that it was impossible to appreciate or absorb any of it.

On their own, none of these things was a bad idea. But spread them out over I dunno...a season with 10 episodes?

That's not really true, even if there are some moments that don't work, such as the casterly VO.

And this is the endgame now, I think most appreciate and understand the pace probably needs to be more urgent out of necessity.

Or just doing what will happen in the books. Remember, book nerds shit on them hard for 'the door" for a day till they found out that was also going to be canon in the books.

Lol 'book nerds'. Sorry for reading, I guess. Don't recall many shitting on them for the hodor death in the book thread at all.

For the record I was pretty much in tears by the end of 'the door'. Best moment in the last few seasons for me.

I will be legit mad if Jamie dies. I love that dude

Its funny if you told me that back in Season 1 I would have called you crazy. I remember when I hated Jamie as much as any other character on the show.

But my dude is playing dumb here and needs to realize his sister is full on insane
Jaime is a shitbird. He went through some personal reflection with Brienne but he's still a shitbird. Remember when he said he was going to catapult babies into Blackfish's castle if Edmure wouldn't cooperate?

Man Theon had better be on one hell of a redemption arc because if not just put my mans out of his misery. Like why does he keep surviving, he must legit think he is cursed.

He's gotta do something big. No idea what that will be but the way they've dragged him along and let him survive the things he has, there must be a major plot point that goes down with him

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The old scrolls Sam is Transcribing, what are the odds that there is something about Rheygar and Lyanna in there?
It's gonna be about the Zombies. 99%. It wasn't a "reward", but it totally is a reward, since it's what he's wanted all along.

Jaime is a shitbird. He went through some personal reflection with Brienne but he's still a shitbird. Remember when he said he was going to catapult babies into Blackfish's castle if Edmure wouldn't cooperate?

He probably wouldn't catapult babies, but it is a strong negotiating tactic.

Diabelli

I was half expecting Jaime to tell Lady O that she wil go to the grave without Cersei ever knowing. Olenna was holding that big fuck you card for Cersei, and for Jaime to just shit on that would have been great.

Zolo

Depends on if he's legitimatized somehow or not.

Zolo

I was half expecting Jaime to tell Lady O that she wil go to the grave without Cersei ever knowing. Olenna was holding that big fuck you card for Cersei, and for Jaime to just shit on that would have been great.

I thought it was actually pretty cool as is that Jaime managed to restrain himself the whole time.

Speevy

Banned
Why is Jaime the one who fucked with the granaries?

Olenna has been talking about that for 3 seasons. Now is the time to take the Lannister's food away.

He didn't actually mean it. He was playing up to his reputation to get control of the castle without bloodshed. It was actually a really great scene for Jaime that so many people missed because it was VERY subtle for a Game of Thrones scene.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Depends on if he's legitimatized somehow or not.

I'm not sure Dany cares much for legitimacy in this sort of situation. Her entire pillar of strength is her idea that she's destined to rule Westeros because she's the last Targ. The only son of a Targ and a Stark sure sounds a lot more destined to me. That revelation might just hit her in a weak spot. Especially since she's been taking all these L's since he showed up.

Slater

Banned
Lol 'book nerds'. Sorry for reading, I guess. Don't recall many shitting on them for the hodor death in the book thread at all.

For the record I was pretty much in tears by the end of 'the door'. Best moment in the last few seasons for me.

I'm one of the book nerds to. But you live a in very deep hole if you don't see a very loud and annoying group of book readers get elitist and bitchy about everything the show does that they don't think will happen in the books.

The Door
Shireen's burning
Even Jon's resurrection
I could go on.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not seeing how the Greyjoys fleet went halfway around the 7 kingdoms in that little time. That's like going from Houston to LA without the Panama canal.

Zolo

I'm not sure Dany cares much for legitimacy in this sort of situation. Her entire pillar of strength is her idea that she's destined to rule Westeros because she's the last Targ. The only son of a Targ and a Stark sure sounds a lot more destined to me. That revelation might just hit her in a weak spot.

More destined than the Targ that woke dragons?

Nah there was some sparks flying.
when did the sparks fly?
No she did find him attractive

Did you miss that longing look she gave after Jon walked away? That's a sex look. She had sex in her eyes,.
are you just joking, or are you dead ass? she thinks he's hot or something?

because I ship these 2 almost as hard as tk/kari and rick/michonne. if you're telling me there's a chance, and if it happens, then this show is a love story for me from here on out just as much as it is a game of thrones and a song of ice and fire
Instead of dragon glass, Jon should've asked what her likes and dislikes were.
well he's trapped on Dragonstone now, right? He might as well talk to everyone.
I truly think this was the worst episode they've ever done, in spite of the decent Dany/Jon dialogue. You're right about the time skip and how inconsistent it is. We've had 6 seasons. By that time, narration has rules. All of a sudden, you get a simili in-studio narration by Tyrion (as if he would deliver his explanation like that to the people around him), you get time inconsistencies, etc. Very disappointing. I liked the first two episodes, this one is getting to me too.
I agree, the Jon/Tyrion reunion could've been better. Jon could've started off by saying "my sister speaks highly of you" or something like that, instead of making it awkward with Tyrion asking "does she miss me dearly"

there should've been at least an implication that Tyrion basically killed Matthos, unless they retconned Davos out of ever having a son(s) and wife since he doesn't seem to think or care about them at all.
Poor Jorah, my man has no luck.
He's too old for her.

His part this episode may have been the best though, even better than Jon x Dany
Arya seems to have her shit together. I can't blame Bran though considering what he's seen.
If Bran's seen everything then he knows he should act like a brother to Sansa because they need each other right now. Him being unemotional as fuck won't help nobody.
Like yea sure, explaining the three eye crow shit is weird to her and I get that, but that cold stare during the hug. Damn Bran.
:(
When hotpie mentioned Jon, she seemed to get out of her funk

Bran though, I think it's 50/50 if ever gains a normal personality again.
Yeah the old 3 eyed raven didn't seem to have a normal personality but he was an old man. c'mon bran.
If Heshinsi were a writer on the show, I'm sure that's exactly how it would go. The episode would have ended with the two smooching under a moonlight while riding Drogon bareback.
sounds like a good ending to me
My favorite part of the episode was Jaime's lesson learned from Rob. That's the stuff that made the early seasons so compelling. It's not just a series of things that happen, there is a cause and effect, a logic and tactic to what people are doing.

I felt surprised for the first time in several seasons.

Good point.
what pisses me off is that Varys wasn't in the king/queen meeting at Dragonstone. He easily could've just said to Dany that Jon's father objectively refused to help late king Robert assassinate her, going so far as to resign as King's Hand.
The problem is that this show almost never uses any style in its editing or direction.

Almost the entire series is just either characters talking or big action set pieces.

So when they use a well-worn technique like Tyrion talking over the taking of Casterly Rock, something seems off.

What is the most off-putting is that they crammed the taking of Casterly Rock, the surprise fo the burned ships, the defeat of the Tyrell forces, and Olenna's conversation with Jaime into a period of time so short that it was impossible to appreciate or absorb any of it.

On their own, none of these things was a bad idea. But spread them out over I dunno...a season with 10 episodes?
You're right, basically the pacing was bad in this episode. So much happens over a monologue in so little time.
Yea, but Ygritte dude. Dany ain't no Ygritte.
Dany is better than Ygritte

Maybe Bran knows Sansa is going to die soon?

It'll be interesting to see if Bran will stop Littlefinger from playing mind tricks on her.

Maybe Bran knows Sansa is going to betray her family.

Can he see the future though? Unless it's all cyclical then I don't think so.

Gondor soldiers still have one of the best looking armor designs in fiction imo.

Yup, with the tree of Gondor, amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
More destined than the Targ that woke dragons?

She's been taking L's left and right since he showed up, meanwhile Jon came back from the dead. Jon only knows how to win. I'm just saying that sort of thing could fuck with her self-confidence.

Neece

It kind of ruins whatever image the Tyrells being a great house. Their armies were relatively untouched during the previous wars, and Jaime took their castle in one day.

Hey at least Dany will get creepy Uncle Jorah back soon.

But they took it with the Tarly's, the Tyrells best banner and strategic genius, and whatever other Tyrell Banners switched sides. The relatively untouched army of theirs took a major loss by losing their biggest ally. Remember when the Karstarks left the Starks? It was a devastating blow. It was like that with the Tarly's leaving the Tyrells, and there are far more people in the south than the north.

Hydrus

This was a much better episode. The last two seemed rushed. Trying to fit too much into one episode. No Arya today or Hound help put more focus on the Dany and Jon scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom