• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
Did anyone else find it weird that the people cheering for Cersei? I get that she's commanding through fear but it wasn't that long ago people were spitting on her in the street. It seemed odd that people were so on her side, even if Euron was bringing in the people who were planning on attacking King's Landing.

That last scene though, god damn. Olenna twisting the knife with her dying breath.

Like i said before, KL inhabitants are fucking morons.

Tyrion is now the worst military strategist in the history of Westeros.

You're redeemed Stannis.

Yea but... how did the Lannisters know they were going to attack Casterly Rock in the first place?

Technically, bum-rushing King's Landing would have been the correct tactic strategically. That's what they should have been prepping for.

But Euron magically appears and not only wrecks the Greyjoy fleets, but zips around the whole continent to Casterly Rock just in time to catch Grey Worm off guard.

And that's after Jamie empties half of the army from there.

How the hell did they know all this and plan all of it?

Jaime is in a perpetual state between
tumblr_nahh7dl6mX1twe13wo1_500.gif

and
giphy.webp

There was too much foreshadowing for the remaining Sand Snakes, or at least Ellaria, not to get out. The whole Cersei speech about how Oberyn could have won the fight if not for his taunting and not going for the kill then she then proceeds to taunt and slowly kill Ellaria's daughter in some vague time frame.

Lannisters suddenly being the smartest people in the entire world with their reverse engineering, zombie creating, god of warfare planning, along with finding the greatest unknown sea captain who can literally hunt ships in the middle of the ocean is pretty good fortune.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yea but... how did the Lannisters know they were going to attack Casterly Rock in the first place?

Technically, bum-rushing King's Landing would have been the correct tactic strategically. That's what they should have been prepping for.

But Euron magically appears and not only wrecks the Greyjoy fleets, but zips around the whole continent to Casterly Rock just in time to catch Grey Worm off guard.

Jamie's got Bronn now. Plus they all had the same upbringing. As a result they have a window into how Tyrion thinks.

Thanks to Sansa and Littlefinger. Jon would have been dead (again) if not for that.

A W is a W no matter how you get it.

Speevy

Banned

While we've been watching Jaime go on stupid errands for 2 seasons, he's actually been writing down a list of things Tyrion knows on the off chance he would become Dany's hand.

Nydius

Poor guy still thought Casterly Rock was worth something.

Yeah. Tyrion's grand plan didn't make any sense the moment I heard it. By now he surely knows the two other Lannisters who held the power were consolidated at Kings Landing. Knowing that, and knowing how untrusting Cersei is with any forces not under the Lannister banner, it stood to reason that the best part of the Lannister army would be there or at least near by.

The whole idea of sending a huge chunk of Dany's forces to take Casterly Rock was idiotic. This entire hurried war plot is actually pretty weak, IMO. After the seasons where we had all the build up and fight between the various Kings of Westeros, or the build up for the Battle of the Bastards, this conflict and its players are progressing so fast as to almost be unbelievable.

I'm wondering who is next to die. With how fast they're progressing, I'm betting on Euron. Either by dragon or by betrayal by Cersei or someone loyal to her.

His entire gambit was predicated on them believing in zombies with no proof and begging for help from people engaged in a war but offering nothing in return.

Eh, his main aim was asking for dragon glass and though it was shaky at least he's getting that. He also wanted the support but as Tyrion said that was too much to ask for a first time meeting.

It's not dumb, just desperate and understandably so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
While we've been watching Tyrion go on stupid errands for 2 seasons, he's actually been writing down a list of things Tyrion knows on the off chance he would become Dany's hand.

I mean, they've known Tyrion is with Dany for a full season. You're right, why would they not plan for him coming back for revenge?

Oddduck

Tyrion is directly responsible for all three of Dany's Ls atm. She's gotta be pissed.

Remember what Olenna told Dany in episode 2?

"Will you take a bit of advice from an old woman? [Tyrion] is a clever man -- your hand. I've known a great many clever men. I've outlived them all. Do you know why? I ignored them. The lords of westero are sheep. Are you a sheep? No. You're a dragon. Be a dragon."

I'm sure Dany might start following that advice very soon.

If it were written by GRRM I'd say the incest dreams in this thread would probably be a go, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Snow's true heritage just in time (I wonder if Varys knows or has any proof).

Jon cares more about the Army of the Dead, and his northern people. He'll probably do as Tyrion says and learn from those she's liberated. He'll think her resume is better, and doesn't want to rule anyway. I cede my claim—Iron Throne's yours, Aunt Dany. So progressive. Who knows what Jon ends up doing.

zsynqx

Eh, his main aim was asking for dragon glass and though it was shaky at least he's getting that. He also wanted the support but as Tyrion said that was too much to ask for a first time meeting.

It's not dumb, just desperate and understandably so.

Pretty much.

Also, some of Kit's best work on the show. He killed it throughout this episode.

Deception

It just dawned on me... What if Varys is betraying Dany and leaking information back to Cersei? Maybe that's what the Melisandre conversation was foreshadowing.

Jorah should be back soon to take over battle plans, I love tyrion but he is too clever for his own good. Danny needs a general. Not a bureaucrat right now.

Josh5890

It just dawned on me... What if Varys is betraying Dany and leaking information back to Cersei? Maybe that's what the Melisandre conversation was foreshadowing.

I think smart money is someone in Dany's camp is a mole. Hell, what if Tyrion has been playing as a double agent all this time? I know that those odds are 100-1 easily but still the reactions that would get.....

MG310

There was too much foreshadowing for the remaining Sand Snakes, or at least Ellaria, not to get out. The whole Cersei speech about how Oberyn could have won the fight if not for his taunting and not going for the kill then she then proceeds to taunt and slowly kill Ellaria's daughter in some vague time frame.

Rewatching it now and noticed they transitioned directly from Ellaria and Tyene to Jamie taking off his prosthetic hand.

I'm expecting some Cary Elwes in Saw business by next week.

Tyene also had the antidote in her necklace during the Bronn business but I didn't notice if she was still wearing it.

Zolo

Nah. Varys is actually keeping Gendry hidden, so he can prop him up as the king he can control after knifing Dany in the back.

Tuck

Man Tyrion's not doing a good job. Jeez. Keeps things interesting, I suppose though its kind of disappointing to see.

Certainly. Its just not fun to see such an awesome character sucking so much.

Speevy

Banned
Varys put Tyrion in a crate and sailed him halfway around the world so he could return him to Westeros and kill a whole bunch of Westerosi soldiers in a surprise betrayal.

That's some Ramsay-level shit right there.

Sansa measuring the food stores and making the smiths put leather on the armor was a nice touch.
yes it was. she's good at being lady of winterfell
Too much Lannister incest.
fixed
Yes that's the moment. I realize that its completely contextual (its her response to him saying "do you believe me about this crazy stuff"), but it is also a sign that there is a budding relationship there. She doesn't see him in the same light that she saw him before and I believe its just the beginning.
Good, they need to stop fighting and realize what they mean to each other.

didn't Melisandre basically confirm that Jon & Dany = ice and fire?

Still hurts :[
It's for the best. Jon deserves better.
Omg Jon is so dumb that whole scene was hilariously dumb 😂
Which scene?
This is officially the second-worst thread on the internet behind the book thread.
Why do you say that?

But Olenna didn't outlive all her enemies.
Why would Varys do that?

FiggyCal

Banned
What would he have to gain?

His main deal has always been stability of the realm. Dany has always been a little crazy, but bringing the Dothraki to Westeros is possibly one of the worst moves, ethically speaking, she could have made. What will the Dothraki do once the war is over?

His main deal has always been stability of the realm. Dany has always been a little crazy, but bringing the Dothraki to Westeros is possibly one of the worst moves, ethically speaking, she could have made. What will the Dothraki do once the war is over?

that's fair, I never thought Vary's was never 100% in with Daenereys, that tense conversation last episode might've been foreshadowing

Deception

What would he have to gain?
It's clear his goal has always been to be on the Iron Throne himself, he just hides it well with all of his charm.
I think smart money is someone in Dany's camp is a mole. Hell, what if Tyrion has been playing as a double agent all this time? I know that those odds are 100-1 easily but still the reactions that would get.....
I think it's more likely to be Varys than anyone else but 🤷

Nah. Varys is actually keeping Gendry hidden, so he can prop him up as the king he can control after knifing Dany in the back.
And what better way than by weakening Danys forces for an easy W.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Dany will be unleashing the dragons in the next couple of episodes, and Westero's cities and countryside will get fucked up. More and more she will edge closer to the Mad King.

You do know that the Mad King earned his title not by killing people but by actually being mad right? Like seeing things, hearing things, being scared of his own shadow. If killing people was how you earned that moniker, Tywin Lannister would be the maddest man in Westrosi history. Wiping out two whole noble house down to even the babies, facilitating the sacking and raping of KL, and then his actions during the war with Robb. That's quite a rap sheet, yet Tywin Lannister was never mad, nor is he ever referred to as such.

Azor Ahai, aka Euron, is just going to show up at Eastwatch, do a crazy smile, and kill all the white walkers in episode 7. Season 8 will just be him teleporting around the world and killing any characters left from the show.

The hero we deserve lol
but biologically, it is so bad for you. it doesn't get closer than brother/sister, I don't think.

I don't think that world works the same as ours. The Valyrians have been doing this for over a thousand years. Besides a few crazies here and there, they aren't churning out the Hills have Eyes weirdos, but rather very beautiful people.

Dany: "Don't judge me by the sins of my father."

Also Dany: "Hey didn't your father help Robert overthrow my father?"

You are recontextualising these statements lol. The latter of the two statements you quoted is actually wholly incorrect. She never said what you wrote, and never delivered the statement you misquoted in attempt to put any blame on Jon. When she was talking about where she was born and how assassins were sent to kill her from the moment she came into the world, she asked Jon if his father knew that his best friend sent killers to murder a baby. The only reference she made about her father was to call him evil, and to then apologise to Jon on her family's behalf.

The point of the whole story (and the Robert part was the start of it) was to illustrate to Jon what she went through, what she accomplished, and why the Iron Throne means more to her than fairy tales told to her by someone she doesn't know. There was nothing about trying to demonise Jon for anything his father had done.

So I don't quite understand what your point was :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom