• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, his main aim was asking for dragon glass and though it was shaky at least he's getting that. He also wanted the support but as Tyrion said that was too much to ask for a first time meeting.

It's not dumb, just desperate and understandably so.

This. He got his primary objective.

He had a great little reaction when she said okay to that. You could see the nice surprise on his face.

Lamel

Banned
Man my hatred for cersei has hit a new peak.

Jaime needs to wake up. His character had some good development in the middle seasons but he's devolved a bit in my opinion.

You are recontextualising these statements lol. The latter of the two statements you quoted is actually wholly incorrect. She never said what you wrote, and never delivered the statement you misquoted in attempt to put any blame on Jon. When she was talking about where she was born and how assassins were sent to kill her from the moment she came into the world, she asked Jon if his father knew that his best friend sent killers to murder a baby. The only reference she made about her father was to call him evil, and to then apologise to Jon on her family's behalf.

The point of the whole story (and the Robert part was the start of it) was to illustrate to Jon what she went through, what she accomplished, and why the Iron Throne means more to her than fairy tales told to her by someone she doesn't know. There was nothing about trying to demonise Jon for anything his father had done.

So I don't quite understand what your point was :/

Thanks for clearing that up, I will have to pay attention during my rewatch. I got my info in my previous reply to you from the person you quoted.

Eh, his main aim was asking for dragon glass and though it was shaky at least he's getting that. He also wanted the support but as Tyrion said that was too much to ask for a first time meeting.

It's not dumb, just desperate and understandably so.

Isn't that just to keep him occupied? I really doubt she is just going to let him leave once they get the glass. My guess is that they will find something else in there with the glass.

I don't think that world works the same as ours. The Valyrians have been doing this for over a thousand years. Besides a few crazies here and there, they aren't churning out the Hills have Eyes weirdos, but rather very beautiful people.
it may not work the same way as ours, but sibling and parent/child incest is shown to be indeed frowned upon in that world just like it is ours.

I ship Jon x Dany hard as fuck though because aunt/nephew isn't as bad as brother and sister.

Euron has really turned into a deus ex machina for Cersei against Dany, and it kind of sucks because he's doing it by sailing all across Westeros in no time. The exact timeline of events could be more easily rationalized if there wasn't this threat of the white walkers. Then again who knows how imminent "soon" is to those involved. They seem to think they have plenty of time to mine obsidian and forge an army's worth of weapons.

Maybe the threat of the Night King is more like, "whenever winter really gets going, that's probably when the Nigh King is going to come." Maybe all of season 7 so far is taking place over a year or more, and not necessarily in sequence?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Was watching episode 2 of season 1 and YO:
cTHPFQY.png

q0oZObn.png

Isn't that just to keep him occupied? I really doubt she is just going to let him leave once they get the glass. My guess is that they will find something else in there with the glass.

Probably, but he'll have to leave sometime.
Otherwise it'll be irresponsible of Dany to force him to stay while trying to make new allies.

Dany said, "we all enjoy what we're good at."

Jon said, "i don't."

Viserys always told Dany about how good Rhaegar was at killing. Ser Barristan once told Dany that Rhaegar, never enjoyed killing.

Ramirez

I know it's a long shot, but any chance Bran brought up the rape to refresh the idea LF knew what kind of monster he was giving Sansa to, ultimately leading to her killing him or something? I feel like LF's time is almost up, as do many I'm sure.

Jachaos

Jaime needs Brienne to knock some sense back in him. He'd redeemed himself and I liked him a lot from Season 2 up until now, but this season he's kind of just there.

Also, Euron, what the hell.

Dude has the time to attack a fleet during the night, go back and parade through King's Landing and still has time to catch-up to the Unsullied?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love that shot that's just a tad too close to Dany's face when she says she's the last Targaryen.

Dany said, "we all enjoy what we're good at."

Jon said, "i don't."

Viserys always told Dany about how good Rhaegar was at killing. Ser Barristan once told Dany that Rhaegar, never enjoyed killing.

Did Rhaegar ever actually kill? Save for maybe a few rebels at the Trident before Robert killed him?

I guess it's probably just Visaery's mythologizing a brother he didn't even know.

Also, maybe Euron's not actually sailing with the fleet now? And commanding from KL?

Einchy

Did Rhaegar ever actually kill? Save for maybe a few rebels at the Trident before Robert killed him?

I guess it's probably just Visaery's mythologizing a brother he didn't even know.

Also, maybe Euron's not actually sailing with the fleet now? And commanding from KL?

Well, he did fight in wars and he was supposed to be a total badass, so you gotta assume he killed a bunch of people.

gun_haver

Some comments on the criticisms:

I understand the complaints that the travelling episodes are completely gone, they did help flesh out the world a great deal, but I get why. More than just the final conflict starting up, almost all of the characters are so well established by now that there isn't much of a need to see them on the deck of a ship telling stories about their past. It's true - some people complained that it was too slow before, and some people are complaining now that it is too fast. It is impossible to avoid some kind of criticism, especially once it catches on.

As for complaints about the battles, or non-battles, this week - there weren't many major characters involved in either one. There wouldn't have been stakes beyond the eventual outcome - maybe some people like Grey Worm, but he was the only named character even at Casterly Rock. With Highgarden, there was Jamie and Bronn and nobody we know on the opposing side excluding Olenna who was just sitting in her room waiting to be killed. It wouldn't have made dramatic sense to spend a lot of episode time (and the season's budget) on these battles. There will be battles to come where there are major characters on all sides which will be shown in detail.

As for being disappointed that after 6 seasons of build up, Dany is losing - well, of course she is. If she had won immediately then there would only be the night king stuff to deal with and, as much as that will probably make for a great episode, isn't exactly a deep intriguing conflict with many moving parts. They are an army of mindless zombies, all you can do with them is fight. Dany is gonna continue to have some back and forth with Cersei for a while until the plot moves in whatever direction it moves - I assume to put Dany in King's Landing, but I think they could still take an unexpected turn with it. I like that they are making it about Dany trying to take the throne with minimal civilian casualties - she's doing it the hard way, due to a moral stance, and so she's paying a price for that because that's why it is the hard way. What she does in the face of these initial setbacks could be interesting for her character, and those around her.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Man, Jon and Bran missed each other by a thread like 3 times.
Don't know how he'd react now though, after everything that has happened to Bran.
Bran would be one of the only people who believe him outside of his army and would likely have a solution to the white walkers.

Plus Olenna saying that their army sucks ass lol.

I also like that moment where Jon indirectly tells Dany he doesn't like killing.

Man Tyrion's not doing a good job. Jeez. Keeps things interesting, I suppose though its kind of disappointing to see.

Certainly. Its just not fun to see such an awesome character sucking so much.

Yeah I didn't expect it after all the build up at how he's pretty good at this.

To be fair, he did predict that Cersei knew he'd be coming for Casterly Rock. He (and Varys who also notably chimes in that they'll be up against tough odds) just didn't predict that she didn't give a shit about losing it.

I'm also disappointed that Tyrion latest F-U to Tywin was meaningless.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
when daenereys said she is the last Targaryen....Damn its painful...when will they finally know

"And though Daenerys maintains her grip on Slaver's Bay, forces rise against her from within and without. She refuses to leave until the freedom of the former slaves is secure. And she's alone, under siege, no family to guide her or protect her. Her last relation thousands of miles away, useless, dying. A Targaryen, alone in the world, is a terrible thing." - Maestor Aemon

I want to tell her so badly that she's not alone, not anymore. Yalla Jon, say salam to your aunt you fuck head.

If Heshinsi were a writer on the show, I'm sure that's exactly how it would go. The episode would have ended with the two smooching under a moonlight while riding Drogon bareback.

How I'd imagine myself conceptualising the sex scene...

ljcKjJe.gif

It kind of ruins whatever image the Tyrells being a great house. Their armies were relatively untouched during the previous wars, and Jaime took their castle in one day.

Hey at least Dany will get creepy Uncle Jorah back soon.

Fucking Riverrun with the majority of their fighting men killed at the Red Wedding, was easily holding out against the Freys and I would also assume the Lannisters as well. Shit doesn't make any sense any more.

I don't think she's going to be happy at all with Jon's parentage. Like she said to Jon in the episode, her entire pillar of strength is her believing in herself, it's the idea of her destiny. When she finds out Jon is the one-true-king she ain't going to take it well.

Are Targaryen men known to be well endowed? Huh, news to me.

Thanks for clearing that up, I will have to pay attention during my rewatch. I got my info in my previous reply to you from the person you quoted.

Oh no worries. Just wanted to clear that up because people kept requoting something that was never said.

Einchy

What wars? I thought he was only a badass tournament fighter.

He fought in Robert's Rebellion.

There's a line that goes something like, "even Rhaegar Targaryen wasn't able to beat Robert in battle", which is a reference to their fight they had where he got killed.

also, Dany was okay with Yara asking for Ironborn independence, why is she so distraught of Jon & the north, which is bigger than all the other partitioned lands, doesn't wanna break?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
also, Dany was okay with Yara asking for Ironborn independence, why is she so distraught of Jon & the north, which is bigger than all the other partitioned lands, doesn't wanna break?

Because what Dany wants is akin to something like the UAE or Malaysia. You can be the King of your region, but there will be an overhead monarch. Yara was fine with that, Jon wasn't. Then again, Yara sees Dany's path to the Iron Throne as the best way to be the Queen of the Iron Islands. Jon has bigger concerns.

because he didn't bow

Neither did Yara...

I don't know how Im going to watch and wait for the rest of the show. It's just too hard to not be overwhelmed with emotion. My brain can't handle it

I don't know how you guys are doing, but Ive never felt like this watching a show.

bill0527

I've shit all over Emilia Clarke's acting from a high northern wall this entire series, but I'm really digging her this season.

Sunster

Because what Dany wants is akin to something like the UAE or Malaysia. You can be the King of your region, but there will be an overhead monarch. Yara was fine with that, Jon wasn't. Then again, Yara sees Dany's path to the Iron Throne as the best way to be the Queen of the Iron Islands. Jon has bigger concerns.

Neither did Yara...

i meant that as him overall being "unimpressed" with her. it rubbed her the wrong way.

qcf x2

This was the least bad episode of the season by far, so there's still a glimmer of hope left for me. Random thoughts:

- Bad acting for the first 10 - 15 min, Kit and Emilia were not on their games for this one
- Euron ironically/unironically made the episode a lot more enjoyable
- Cersei's ploy with the snakes is kinda dumb, leaves too much time for things to happen
- Danerys getting humbled was a nice change of pace, unfortunately she is still almost entirely devoid of character
- I didn't quite get the point of the spider/fire witch exchange, but I guess it kinda confirms he'll bite the dust
- Why is Sansa always walking with Littlefinger?
- He gave her some good advice
- Olenna with the surprise ether, she ended up winning her last battle
- Tyrion seems to be loyal to a fault to Danerys, it's kind of stifling his good qualities

I figure Jon Snow doesn't want to be king though, so what will it matter? Though his entire storyline is "But I don't wanna" and then he begrudgingly does.

Bran's whole thing is exciting. He knows everything right? All he can do is watch? I suppose he'll tell Jon about his lineage, but what if he doesn't? I mean, I know he can't change what has and will happen, but why can't he try? I don't understand the time travel stuff

gun_haver

I dunno why I focus on this so much, but I'm really hoping Littlefinger reemerges into the fore of what is going on rather than a supporting element to Sansa's story. His speech this week was really cool, they let his old theme come back in for a minute, and reminded me of how much fun it was when this motherfucker was running around trying to take over the world.

crustikid

Agree that the pace is a bit too fast given the buildup to these moments, but at the same time the creators must be building up to logical conclusion since we've only 4 episodes remaining in this season. It definitely seems to be leading towards a Cersei showdown, if anything, with the whole winter bit saved for the final season. Perhaps that's what Milesandre meant with her remarks during the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom