• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Now that Dany lost the Tyrells and the Unsullied are held up in Casterly Rock, I kinda feel like they can't kill one of the dragons. All she has left are them and the Dothrakis, and possibly Jon soon, so she might be too nerfed if she starts losing her babies, too.

RDreamer

You guys gotta cut the show some slack

Why, exactly? The show is one of the most popular shows on television with one of the largest budgets. It could really explain things well and stretch things out to the amount of episodes actually needed. Instead it feels like D&D got bored as fuck after they did the Red Wedding and just want this shit to be over with so they're doing the bare minimum to get across the finish line. Why should we cut that some slack?

Maxim726X

Imagine the red wedding without all the little details setting it up. As details aren't important, just bad ass totally awesome scenes.

Imagine cutting Ned Stark investigating the seed is strong, he found out off screen about the Lannister incest. But who cares, he got his head chopped the fuck off. The details don't mean shit.

Imagine the mountain vs the viper without the conversation between Oberyn and Tyrion. Doesn't matter, Oberyn agreed off screen to fight for Tyrion. Dat fight doe.

The 'boring details' are part of what made the show so great.

Passing stuff off as ' well clearly months have passed' when the show does nothing to show a passage of time is lame. The pacing has just been ridiculous this season.

I agree.

Which is kinda hypocritical because I wished that they would actually move forward with Dany's story, but now it's ridiculous. They way they montaged the extinction of an entire major family was pretty sad. It's not how this show used to operate.

It's not as if they couldn't have stretched this out, either... Why not milk another season out of the show?

rackham

Banned
I can't wait to see a reunion between the Starks. Sansa and Jon look like peasant shit lords compared to the growth/change Arya and Bran experienced.

Man Olena going out peacefully and then laying the smackdown on poor Jaimie. Such a cunt, I love her.

I also love Jaimie's minute facial expressions where he looks like he is getting stabbed but holds composure.

I wonder if we'll ever see him reunite with his brother. Olena laid it on pretty thick that when Cersei dies, so does Jamie, so I sadly don't see him making it to the final season. He's going to be missed so much.

Sendero

Even without any battle, this was a pretty hectic chapter. Would have benefited with some extra minutes to allow a bit of breath in some scenes. Anyway:

*Punishment to Ellaria feels low-key, but it's really pretty horrible: In the previous episode, she asked for them to be quickly offed. Instead, she now has to witness her daughter slowly agonize in front of her, with no way to prevent or speed up the process. Just found the person that killed his man, is still alive and stronger. That her other daughters were slaughtered, along with her army (with Dorne possibly next). All mostly because of her. That's harsh. Her actress did a good job.

*Love Yara, but have to concede that Euron has turned out to be refreshingly entertaining in its own crooked way - and this late on the story! He might seems unfairly powerful, but remember: He has traveled the whole world on boat, allegedly learning tactics from different cultures. He is in essence, the pirate version of Oberyn. Of course he is OP. The sea is his turf.

*~Kinda~ disappointed that a ballesta is the counter for the Dragons. Sort of expected a chemical attack. Pretty sure now that (WARNING, likely spoiler)
one or two of them will be killed, just to be later resurrected by the Night King.

*The Iron Bank is back. The trailer shows why Cersei promised payment in 2 weeks. Unsure if she will make it or not.

*Find it interesting (early on the chapter) that Jaime said a clear NO to Cersei. She still went for it. Olenna remarked how he has done a 180 turn, and is now blindly following her, even though his hearth seemed to go in a different direction a couple of seasons ago. He indeed, has lost control of his life.

*Speaking of Olenna.. what a character, til the end. That "You can learn a lot from past mistakes - Oh, you must be so wise by now!" retort was delicious. She gave her time to also trash Joffrey, Cercei, her own house, give food for thought to Jaime (that will play a part on Cersei demise) and then sink one last knife on her enemies, after sipping some fine wine. The Queen of Thorns indeed.

*Really like Bran's new (likely temporal) demeanor. He downloaded the whole knowledge of the 3-eyed Raven and have been processing it in a short amount of time. Not just witnessing the disgraces from his family, but likely several major events, including finding out he is responsible for screwing Hodor's future. This should change him, at a very deep level. Something that I hoped, but never really occurred with Aria. He understands better than anyone, what the stakes are. And seeing the continuous rise and fall of humanity, is bound to make him detached from everyone. Sort of like Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. And he is basically still a kid.

Have to wonder why he didn't spilled the soup about LittleFinger to Sansa. Perhaps that's how it's supposed to be?

*Hot Pie and Nymeria cameos were bad. And still nothing about Gendry. Did they really remove his story line?

*The narration of Casterly Rock assault was HYPE (if a bit un-synchronized). Its weakness was such a great call back to "the shit never flowed so smoothly to the sea" moment from early seasons.

*Which reminds me: Poor Unsullied, forever getting fucked. But at least now Grey Worm too.

*Which ALSO reminds me: Sam cured Jorah, just so he can go back and see Danny getting friendly with Snow. He needs his daily dosis.

*Shame Melissandre departed Dragonstone. Her prophecy on Varys (and herself) left me intrigued. She still has to meet Arya.

*Still can't figure out what will be the final master move from both Varys and Littlefinger.
They are both hard to fully read. But Varys finally having special scenes, means that something big is coming.

*Loved all the interactions between Tyrion, Snow and Danny. They all brought their A game. Felt like one of Dinklage's best performances in the most recent years.

What will Danny do, when she finds out that Snow is technically also a resurrected being (and a Targaryan)? She clearly noticed the slip up.

Finally, Ser Davos saving the day - once again. Always my favorite character (and actor). Hope him and Theon breaks the siege against the Unsullied and/or rescue Yara.

Ser-Davos-4B.jpg
The true one king.

Ydelnae

Olenna no.

I love how every season finale wasted on building Daenery's threatening power eventually led to all her forces being anhilitated within the first episodes of this season. Also, why was the Sansa and Bran reunion basically this

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

and then "remember the night you were fucking raped, sister?" lol

Theon also seems to have cockroach level of plot armour, so I hope he does end up ruling the seas alongside Devos. When it comes to the Stark reunions, I have to include him too even though he killed 2 kids.

RDreamer

It's not as if they couldn't have stretched this out, either... Why not milk another season out of the show?

D&D want out. I think they honestly were only really interested in getting up to the Red Wedding and after that it's all been downhill as far as their interest in the show.

This entire show has been largely about politics. You don't turn your brain off when a show is about politics. So I don't know how anyone can think it's okay to ignore the details by season 7.

I think most people are cutting the show some slack, but Euron and his mysteriously sourced raw material and rapidly built, and teleporting fleet are basically charting the entire course of the plot right now.

If they were going to do this with him, when he returned to the Iron Islands they should have made it so he was on the far side of the world and had been assembling the greatest pirate Armada in history—or something like that.

zethren

Banned
Man Olena going out peacefully and then laying the smackdown on poor Jaimie. Such a cunt, I love her.

I also love Jaimie's minute facial expressions where he looks like he is getting stabbed but holds composure.

I wonder if we'll ever see him reunite with his brother. Olena laid it on pretty thick that when Cersei dies, so does Jamie, so I sadly don't see him making it to the final season. He's going to be missed so much.

Yeah I super agree. Jaime's facial expressions and subtle emotions, which lead to more apparent mannerisms and moments of emotion, are so great. Great actor. You could FEEL the tension as she was saying those things to him, not knowing for sure if he wouldn't just kill her out of anger with his sword even though she is doomed to die already.

Lady O slayed that scene, but I think they both did a fantastic job in it.

Tuck

Yeah, I dunno how many more times it can be stated that each scene can be taking weeks apart, so trying to figure out the specifics of travel, when we've no idea how much has passed between scenes, is pretty futile.

Conveying proper passage of time is a responsibility of the writers and directors. Having characters fele like they are teleporting across the map means they are doing a bad job.

LordKasual

Banned
Was Bran mind-jacked into Littlefinger's head? The things they said were curiously similar...

Yeah. The coincidence in the topics they were talking about is too uncanny.

Something tells me that we're going to end up in a situation where Bran has been responsible for waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy more than just Hodor. The way Hodor happened suggests that he's able to change almost anything he wants, if at any point in the timeline he learns to control his power.

Bran is EASILY the most powerful character in the story...he's like Dr. Manhattan, except with control of time instead of matter. His abilities seem to be affecting his personality as well -- he seems to have almost completely disconnected with reality since he became the Three Eyed Raven. He's been learning to view events non-linearly, and from perspectives that aren't even his own. IF he's able to see the past as well as the future then his complete disconnect from his reunion with Sansa makes total sense. He feels no emotion reuniting with her because he's been with her the whole time.

My gut tells me that Bran has played a part in Varys' life as well.

I agree.

Which is kinda hypocritical because I wished that they would actually move forward with Dany's story, but now it's ridiculous. They way they montaged the extinction of an entire major family was pretty sad. It's not how this show used to operate.

Danny spent to much time on the other side of the world. She gained a fleet, lost a fleet, had a rebellion, quelled it for a time, was lost and found another army, gained another fleet in two seasons total.

You could have combined her total time being queen in S5 and S6 and still had good pacing and wouldn't have retread the same plot points like a plane in a waiting pattern.

Her arch was slow and repetitive, and the actual interesting but of invading Wessteros and the dirty details are happening at rapid pace. Which would have been fine if she decided to use the fucking armies she brought in the first place and just wrecked shit the moment she landed and tossed politics aside.

Now that Dany lost the Tyrells and the Unsullied are held up in Casterly Rock, I kinda feel like they can't kill one of the dragons. All she has left are them and the Dothrakis, and possibly Jon soon, so she might be too nerfed if she starts losing her babies, too.
I think the opposite! They'll kill at least one of the dragons in this season, to make the situation even worse for Daenerys.

Olenna no.

I love how every season finale wasted on building Daenery's threatening power eventually led to all her forces being anhilitated within the first episodes of this season. Also, why was the Sansa and Bran reunion basically this

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

and then "remember the night you were fucking raped, sister?" lol
Lol guess it was hard not to look when you see everything.

But yeah, that was just bad. Sooo hard to explain... felt like something on CW. Like Barry talking about being the flash or something to whomever.

NandoGip

The extreme pacing is necessary. The less time spent tying up loose ends, the more time we will have for battling white walkers

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Conveying proper passage of time is a responsibility of the writers and directors. Having characters fele like they are teleporting across the map means they are doing a bad job.

Should they have a line saying how long it's going to take to travel to X place between every scene? Or have a '3 weeks later" between every scene? Everything is happening at different times and at different speeds. I get where you're coming from but it's kinda impossible for them to do that when we're constantly jumping from scene to scene.
I think the opposite! They'll kill at least one of the dragons in this season, to make the situation even worse for Daenerys.

I definitely thought that was the case but I changed my mind a bit after last night's episode. They gotta give Dany some wins but it's Game of Thrones so they might keep kicking her while she's down and then crush her skull.

Theon also seems to have cockroach level of plot armour, so I hope he does end up ruling the seas alongside Devos. When it comes to the Stark reunions, I have to include him too even though he killed 2 kids.

That's it. Everyone will die and only thing that survived will be the cockroach Theon who then walks over to the iron throne, sits on it and smiles *cut scene /fin

Curufinwe

The dumb thing is that by adding a couple lines of dialogue and making some minor changes to some shots they could make Dany getting her ass kicked make much more sense. For example, they could had added a line that explained that most Reach houses aren't fans of Dany, the Dothraki and the Unsullied

House Tarly is representative of those Reach houses, and the most important. Randyll defecting to ride with Jaime is all that was needed.

That was literally the entire point of Jaime and Tarly's dialogue last episode. Why would they need to spell it out again one episode later? If the attack on Highgarden happened towards the end of the season I'd agree, but these were literally back-to-back episodes.

Exactly.

I do wish that Olenna had the forethought that her castle might be attacked, and would've moved the gold cache she apparently has. However the trailer makes it seem like they find her gold, though only if she somehow just got her people to paint bricks gold colored all for Jaime to bring it back to Cersei, for her to give it to the Iron Bank who tells her this isn't real.

LordKasual

Banned
Have to wonder why he didn't spilled the soup about LittleFinger to Sansa. Perhaps that's how it's supposed to be?

If he's able to see the future and has been paying attention to him, then it's possible that he needs that ignorance to move plans forward.

For example, if Sansa learned about Littlefinger's part in killing Ned any time leading up to now, she likely would have never followed him, or worse, had him killed at some point, which would have resulted in the death of her, Jon, and probably the rest of the realm.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
There's some awful pacing this episode. We saw that the unsullied and Sand Snakes/ Yara left around the same time. Euron was able to intercept the girls, go to King's Landing, and still had time to fight the unsullied on the other side of the continent in the span of a couple of days? It makes no sense. We didn't need to see the Iron Fleet fighting the unsullied; we could have assumed from Jaime's dialogue later on that the unsullied wouldn't be able to hold Casterly Rock - we didn't need to see the whole thing in action and it wouldn't have been so dumb. Usually this show has a problem with traveling taking (perhaps) too long; this season has the opposite problem. They needed more episodes because this stuff is moving way, way too fast.

Pacing problems work both ways. Making a show go at breakneck speed is also bad pacing.
The other issue is that same people are hand waving Euron's near miracles fleet speed, by stating that his attack on Yara's fleet happened near Dragonstone. Well that is highly unlikely due to two reasons. The first is that a battle that close to dragonstone would have absolutely attracted the Dragons. They would have been drawn by the fighting, the blood, and the explosions. The second reason is Theon. He is still not back at the Island, yet his uncle is zipping back and forth like his ships are actually running on nuclear power lol.

So if weeks and months are going by, why does it seem like characters who are in the same area are stuck in time? If Theon pulls into Dragonstone next episode, it will blow this time inconsistency out of the water. How are you still out at sea when Jaime marched from KL to Highgarden and Euron has sailed back and forth?

FiggyCal

Banned
Should they have a line saying how long it's going to take to travel to X place between every scene? Or have a '3 weeks later" between every scene? Everything is happening at different times and at different speeds. I get where you're coming from but it's kinda impossible for them to do that when we're constantly jumping from scene to scene.

No but you should feel like some proper amount of time has passed. If that's not coming across (and I don't believe it does), then that's the writer and director's responsibility. It works when we are dealing with events in Essos vs. Westeros - they're far enough apart that we can assume things that we see in Essos may happen months before they cut to the next scene which takes place in Westeros. But we saw in the same episode Euron both in Kings Landing and then (possibly) Euron on the other side of the continent. Moreover, they arrive not long after another fleet that had at a huge head start. That's poor pacing. Even if they had a Spongebob transition (three months later), it would still be poor pacing.

Remember that time Varys hid some dude (the guy who made him a eunoch I think) in some magical box? What was that about again?

I was under the impression Varys was some magic-possessing guy who wasn't what he seemed, but it seems like he's just some dude with a lot of intel and who just wants to be King

Remember that time Varys hid some dude (the guy who made him a eunoch I think) in some magical box? What was that about again?

I was under the impression Varys was some magic-possessing guy who wasn't what he seemed, but it seems like he's just some dude with a lot of intel and who just wants to be King

I don't think it was a magical box, just a crate. Also, I don't believe Varys has any interest in being King, he just legitimately wants someone who will be a good ruler to sit on the throne.

You're the guy who didn't even notice that Qyburn took over the little birds Varys used to control.

I was wondering if Varys lost his entire network, which doesn't seem to be the case from the quick search I did on the wiki and what I assumed in the first place.

Qyburn most likely took control of the majority of the local Kings Landing network and probably a few of the longer distance ones.

It's strange because even though Olenna went out like a gangsta, Cersei is still the GOAT when it comes down to it.

She killed Olenna's son, grandson, and granddaughter.

Honestly, Olenna's words were more of a slight towards Jaime more than at Cersei, since he's the one that wanted to be merciful to her.

Vashetti

Banned

Where are you getting this from?

I've noticed you said this before.

Varys has stated many times he has no interest in the throne. He just wants to serve a good ruler who cares about the people.

FiggyCal

Banned

Varys was able to capture and torture the person (I believe he was a sorcerer) that made him a eunuch. I don't think varys himself possesses any magic, but I think they're hinting that there is a dark side we haven't yet seen.

Felt like he was testing her then. Don't remember what his deal was with the box.

Aikidoka

I definitely thought that was the case but I changed my mind a bit after last night's episode. They gotta give Dany some wins but it's Game of Thrones so they might keep kicking her while she's down and then crush her skull.

No, I think that's actually a pretty easy problem to solve. For instance, when Euron brings Cersei the captives, there could just be a single line saying something to the effect that he's already got a surprise waiting at Casterly Rock.
It doesn't fix the fact that all the strategies themselves are pretty idiotic, but it helps to show which events are happening more or less simultaneously and which precedes the others and so on.

It's strange because even though Olenna went out like a gangsta, Cersei is still the GOAT when it comes down to it.

She killed Olenna's son, grandson, and granddaughter.

Honestly, Olenna's words were more of a slight towards Jaime more than at Cersei, since he's the one that wanted to be merciful to her.
Cersei destroyed the entirety of House Tyrell and had their most trusted Bannerman, Tarly turn on them.

The confession, to me looked like Olenna was trying to get one last fuck you in, but Jaime not giving in made me think it was a failed attempt. I was half expecting Jaime to lop her head off in anger.

Why though? Not once in six season did anyone in Essos ever mention anything about cold or even winter. Not once. I will laugh so hard if the solution to survive the White Walker invasion is to just sail to Essos. Oh, guess who just happens to have an entire bay waiting to receive her back?

I think it does though, because there is a difference between Winter and the WW's. There have been winters in the past that, ones that Ned lived through but it has been thousands of years since a WW invasion. Winter may not come to Essos but the WW army probably does. Also, the reason no one mentions it is because no one hardly even mentions it in Westeros, because it's been so long that it's just a folk tale to them. In a land where they don't even see winter, why would they even consider the thought of the snow zombies, lol.

Guaranteed it affects Essos and imagine how shitty of an ending that would be to the viewer, oh, lets just sail there, all us important people are safe now, thanks for the ships Euron, thanks iron fleet, tough luck Night King, maybe in a thousand more.

I've been thinking this too... But I think he'll survive and just retreat with Cersei. Winter is constant. It'll never not be on the hoirzon, just like evil. Which is something I think Martin believes in, evil in everything/one and it can never truly be defeated. Also I think he's going to get a dragon and Cersei may aid in that.

I'd be alright with an ending like that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom