• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zethren

Banned
Well if they can reach Essos, that means they'd have to freeze the Narrow Sea. If they could do that, they don't need a wall to stop them right? Just freeze the ocean around it and walk lol. Also, how did that one wright get past the wall in the first season when Benjen can't?

I've heard a theory running around that the far north of Westeros actually connects to the far north of Essos via an ice bridge during the Long Winter, and so the WWs could potentially travel to Essos that way.

There's really no evidence for the theory though aside from not seeing the tip tops of those continents on the maps, as far as I know, to the Far East of Essos.

It's not an unknown amount of time, it's a fornight which is 14 days i believe.

The episode just had a weird pacing to me is all.
I'm speaking in general terms, as teleporting has been a reoccurring complaint. There's no way this show can follow real time traveling with how many characters there are, with only one and a half seasons to go.

Wuiji

"What if we created a villian who was just Capital B Bad and dropped any pretense of depth or subtlety?"

"Hmm. Can he act as a deus ex machina to maintain conflict with ALL of our protags?"

"Yes, and he should definitely just walk right into this role literally out of the foggy fucking night.

I like how people are suddenly thinking that Ramsay was such a subtle and well written villain in hindsight, which isn't true at all. These writers have been garbage at anything subtle.

"How do we show this guy is a bad guy? I know, let's have him do evil shit every week, just in case people forget he's a bad guy. What will he do this week? Torture somebody. Next week? Torture him some more. What about the week after? I know, cut off the dude's dick. Next season? Have him kill his dad, and then feed his brother to some dogs. He's so well written!"

The only reason Tywin was any good was because of the amazing performance.

In this episode didn't seem to affect the Unsullied ships so I can let that convenience slide; but if Euron's ships move faster than modern day ships and boats that have motors then it's too much to suspend believe, even if they have to pick up the pace because of budget

Euron went from King's Landing to Casterly Rock in the same episode, though.

The Unsullied went from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock in the same episode. Look at the map on the previous page or so - King's Landing and Dragonstone are very close to each other. Not to mention that the scene in King's Landing could have happened during a different time. The scenes are not linear.

Everything in this show moves faster than a modern day, real-world equivalent. Referencing the map above, and making some assumptions about the size of Westeros, and it is easily believable, with this show's typical pacing in mind, that Euron can get around the way he does.

The Greyjoys are the damn king of the seas, with Euron having one of the fastest fleets ever. I don't know how this is so unbelievable.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm expecting at least a hundred ballistas. The one we saw was just the prototype. The dragons are fucked tbh.
Even a hundred would barely be able to cover enough angles to be any use. There is no way to aim at a flying dragon. You have to be already pointing in the right direction and then lead the shot correctly, without the dragon turning. The only realistic chance of hitting a dragon is if it is stationary.

RDreamer

I like how people are suddenly thinking that Ramsay was such a subtle and well written villain in hindsight, which isn't true at all. These writers have been garbage at anything subtle.

"How do we show this guy is a bad guy? I know, let's have him do evil shit every week, just in case people forget he's a bad guy. What will he do this week? Torture somebody. Next week? Torture him some more. What about the week after? I know, cut off the dude's dick. Next season? Have him kill his dad, and then feed his brother to some dogs. He's so well written!"

The only reason Tywin was any good was because of the amazing performance.

What you just described wasn't performance, it was writing and writers' decisions. Tywin was good because the writing back then was decent. The writers have gone off the rails and don't know what they're doing with Ramsay and Euron.

BumRush

I think this is where me and others accepting this differ. I've said this in the thread before, but why exactly is 6-7 episodes a year treated like it wasn't their decision? Why is it some natural occurrence that we need 6-7 a year and that's just that. HBO would have wanted more. The fanbase and viewers are there for more. D&D said they didn't want it probably because they want to go do something else instead). You can't excuse bad writing with "Well there are only 6-7 episodes" because that was their decision! The only reason for 6-7 episodes would be if the writing held up for only that amount, and it's pretty clear it isn't.

I'm not so sure they have the budget and time to film many more though. The production values are (or at least seem to be) way up.

I definitely understand where you're coming from...just saying that it bothers some and doesn't bother others (I'm in the latter camp)

Simplet

Yup. Looks like at the end of every episode, chess pieces will move. This is when the title game of thrones actually is apt. Every episode, conditions change making the characters change their moves. It's fucking fantastic

It's idiotic. Let's say you have months between every scene, what the fuck is Daenerys doing in Dragonstone with her dragons, playing cards with Tyrion? You'd think the least she could do is take her dragons for a ride once in a while, just to see what's going on. From the map of westeros someone posted, she'd cut the distance to Castely Rock or the Reach by half, and I'd assume the dragons are a lot faster than ships to.

Aikidoka

You know that boats can move at different speeds right? It takes skill to navigate the sea. It could take someone like Jon a month to get somewhere that only takes a skilled pirate a week.

It's almost like you want the show to be fair. It's not. Mix in that scenes happen outside of linear time, and it is easy to imagine how people can get around in some ways.

Euron could have sailed for the rock literally the moment his scene at King's Landing ended. Who knows how long it took the Unsullied to get there? It's not like they are from Westeros or have much experience manning large ships.

These are fair points, and really the biggest problem is that Dany's strategies are implausibly incompetent.
Why is the most advanced and skilled navy not taken into account in any of their plans?
How can they be so oblivious of it when it is pretty much "right next door" and must have been going in the same direction?
Why wouldn't Dany use her dragons on Casterly Rock that could get there a couple orders of magnitude faster than the boats (or actually meet them there)?
etc...

The dragons could swoop in one night and burn most if not all the ships of the iron fleet in the middle of the night ala Slaver's Bay. It just seems like the showrunners don't know how to balance the power of the dragons. Combined with a totally non-existent timeline, it makes all the rather significant defeats feel really cheap.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Man I really really don't like Euron. No matter how much D and D build him up, he comes off as bargain bin Ramsey.

It is assumed that Euron's fleet wasn't already split before he turned up at King's Landing. It's possible they had already set sail for Casterly Rock just after they destroyed the Greyjoy fleet.

These are fair points, and really the biggest problem is that Dany's strategies are implausibly incompetent.
Why is the most advanced and skilled navy not taken into account in any of their plans?
How can they be so oblivious of it when it is pretty much "right next door" and must have been going in the same direction?
Why wouldn't Dany use her dragons on Casterly Rock that could get there a couple orders of magnitude faster than the boats (or actually meet them there)?
etc...

The dragons could swoop in one night and burn most if not all the ships of the iron fleet in the middle of the night ala Slaver's Bay. It just seems like the showrunners don't know how to balance the power of the dragons. Combined with a totally non-existent timeline, it makes all the rather significant defeats feel really cheap.

It has already been established that they didn't want to use the dragons. Now they'll be forced to, and even then I doubt it'll go the way they wanted it to. I mean this time they had prior knowledge of the dragons and Daenarys' intentions so they could develop a safeguard against them.

RDreamer

The Greyjoys are the damn king of the seas, with Euron having one of the fastest fleets ever. I don't know how this is so unbelievable.

Because the Greyjoys, i.e. Theon and Yara, took the good ships and Euron had to fight them... and the show has done fuck-all to build up and actually show Euron's character... He literally just showed up and we're supposed to expect that he's such a master sailor and strategist that he just shits on literally everyone in Westeros? It doesn't make sense. Like, where the fuck was he and what was he doing for the first four seasons?

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's not an unknown amount of time, it's a fornight which is 14 days i believe.

The episode just had a weird pacing to me is all. Maybe they should have this unravel in the next episode.

Yeah, I have tended to have no issues with the "time skipping" honestly, but this one did bother me. I mean look at Kings Landing to High Garden on a map, if we accept the world of GoT is about equal to ours, then thats like the distance from New York City to Dallas. Thats a 2 day trip in a car on Interstates with stops for food, gas and rest. How does an army get from Kings Landing to High Garden, on foot, in less than 14 days? Lets even pretend they left before that conversation (couldnt have been too long before given Circi was just with Jamie), its still mind hurting trying to understand.

Aikidoka

It is assumed that Euron's fleet wasn't already split before he turned up at King's Landing. It's possible they had already set sail for Casterly Rock just after they destroyed the Greyjoy fleet.

It has already been established that they didn't want to use the dragons. Now they'll be forced to, and even then I doubt it'll go the way they wanted it to. I mean this time they had prior knowledge of the dragons and Daenarys' intentions so could develop a safeguard against them.

They didn't want to use the dragons because of collateral damage. I don't think there are many civilians living in the middle of the sea.

RDreamer

Yeah, I have tended to have no issues with the "time skipping" honestly, but this one did bother me. I mean look at Kings Landing to High Garden on a map, if we accept the world of GoT is about equal to ours, then thats like the distance from New York City to Dallas. Thats a 2 day trip in a car on Interstates with stops for food, gas and rest. How does an army get from Kings Landing to High Garden, on foot, in less than 14 days? Lets even pretend they left before that conversation (couldnt have been too long before given Circi was just with Jamie), its still mind hurting trying to understand.

Isn't Westeros supposed to be roughly equivalent to Great Britain?

Edit: That's just inspiration, I guess. I didn't take it to be exactly GB's size, but closer to that than America. Guess I'm wrong and it actually is massive.

I know it's kind of book talk, but this seems to talk about Westeros' size. It's pretty big, but it's not quite New York to Dallas I don't think.

Man I really really don't like Euron. No matter how much D and D build him up, he comes off as bargain bin Ramsey.

Karl Fookin' Tanner wants his credit, too.

latest

Every time the show kills off a sadistic, homicidal maniac, they have to introduce another one. To be fair, the books do this, too.

The Unsullied went from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock in the same episode. Look at the map on the previous page or so - King's Landing and Dragonstone are very close to each other. Not to mention that the scene in King's Landing could have happened during a different time. The scenes are not linear.

Everything in this show moves faster than a modern day, real-world equivalent. Referencing the map above, and making some assumptions about the size of Westeros, and it is easily believable, with this show's typical pacing in mind, that Euron can get around the way he does.

We don't see the Unsullied depart, in fact I don't think we saw the Unsullied at Dragonstone at all in this episode. We only see the montages side by side when Tyrion talks about the siege of Casterly Rock. But we do see Euron at King's Landing and then at Casterly Rock both in this episode.

And I disagree that everything in this show moves faster than modern day or is supposed to. First of all, that wouldn't even make sense considering the Westerosi don't have the technology to move faster and second of all, it's been implied on the show too many times to discount the fast movement as just the way the Westerosi travel. Ned Stark says in the premier "If he's traveling this far north, there's only one thing he's after..." if traveling north wasn't a long and enduring endeavor then such a sentiment wouldn't be stated. Yoren says to Ned later in the season when he's in King's Landing that "I rode down here so fast I damn near killed my horse" - that again reinforces the reality of geography and if this show moves things faster than modern day, this would also mean the horses run and move more efficiently and significantly faster than modern day's fastest cars & vehicles.

HvySky

Karl Fookin' Tanner wants his credit, too.

latest

Every time the show kills off a sadistic, homicidal maniac, they have to introduce another one. To be fair, the books do this, too.

Euron ain't got shit on Tanner. He was a fookin' legend.

Speevy

Banned
It's funny how they keep showing that table-map of Westeros, because in the show, geography doesn't matter at all.

Of course it does. Cersei places the little squid marker on the floor and Euron appears there to crush her enemies.

It's like a voodoo doll in map form. Dany's going to wonder why she's back in Essos next week.

Simplet

It has already been established that they didn't want to use the dragons. Now they'll be forced to, and even then I doubt it'll go the way they wanted it to. I mean this time they had prior knowledge of the dragons and Daenarys' intentions so they could develop a safeguard against them.

She didn't want to burn cities to the ground with the dragons, it doesn't mean she can't use them to scout around for armies and fleets, and if she can scare the shit out of them at the same time, why the hell not? It makes zero sense not to.

Addi

I think most of the army came from Castely rock, not King's landing, that's what Greyworm was reacting to. Jaime then joined them. I mean, it's still far, but closer than King's landing.

gun_haver

I just assumed Euron wasn't there at Casterly Rock, but just sent his fleet while he got dropped off in King's Landing for his victory parade. I guess that big ship is his ship, though, which probably means he is there, but it might not. I suppose we'll find out next episode.

It is true that the trip round from King's Landing to Casterly Rock via the sea would take waaay longer than travelling even out to some eastern parts of Essos. They have to sail round nearly the whole damn continent. That doesn't make it any more or less likely Euron's fleet could have followed them there - it'd take the same amount of time - but it does make the timeline quite odd because a journey like that would probably take several weeks.

This may have already been covered previously (too much damn bitching about boat speeds) but who or what family picked up theon from the ocean? Do we know them?

so for the next episode, scenes from the trailer and preview indicate that
the Dothraki hoard will meet the Tarly & Lannister army out in an open field and will decimate most of them. This makes Jaime very angry, and he takes that giant spear that Qyburn made and tries to kill the dragon himself.

etc...

The dragons could swoop in one night and burn most if not all the ships of the iron fleet in the middle of the night. It just seems like the showrunners don't know how to balance the power of the dragons. Combined with a totally non-existent timeline, it makes all the rather significant defeats feel really cheap.

This isn't a problem, this is the entire point of the first three episodes this season. Tyrion's plan seemed clever, but in practice made some glaring errors. Olenna advised Daenerys to conquer King's Landing. Yara advised Daenerys to conquer King's Landing. Ellaria advised Daenerys to conquer King's Landing. Daenerys ignored them all in favour of Tyrion's plan. Varys' forte was originally gaining information rather than wartime strategy, Grey Worm was the leader of the Unsullied with no evidence of any strong independent inclination to strategic military planning, Missandei was a translator prior to her time with Daenerys, and Tyrion's experience planning a military action was defending a single city in the Battle of Blackwater.

The plan wasn't a good one, and she shouldn't have agreed to Tyrion's plan. They had the means to easily conquer King's Landing and their forces strength is on land, not on sea which the plan required them to spend a substantial period of time traversing.

As for going herself on dragons, that was highlighted in this very episode. It's far too risky a strategy when it exposes her to such a substantial risk, and she doesn't want to use her dragons to raze a city because she doesn't want the civilians to fear her or to be killed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Except it is the greyjoys who have been out manouvered twice in the space of a couple of months, by a fleet that didn't exist about a year? ago, by a captain who didn't learn his skills on the iron islands. There was no need to have eurons fleet arrive the second that castelry rock was taken, Jaime's speech would have been sufficient to indicate that Euron would cut off the unsullied.

Choo choo! This train ain't going to stop. The Dragon dynasty needs to reform like voltron. I think it was brilliant that they brought up that Dany has three dragons but she is the only rider. We need to start filling that roster lol.

If all three dragons manage to survive I wonder who'd be the 3rd rider.

Tyrion?

RDreamer

Choo choo! This train ain't going to stop. The Dragon dynasty needs to reform like voltron. I think it was brilliant that they brought up that Dany has three dragons but she is the only rider. We need to start filling that roster lol.

Bran wargs one, one will be killed and resurrected by the Night King, and Dany rides the other. This is pretty obvious.

Deception

Cersei's whole speech to Ellaria about Marcella's death ignores the entire fact that she is basically responsible for Tommens suicide.

I've been shipping Jon x Dany long before I realized they were related

Cersei's whole speech to Ellaria about Marcella's death ignores the entire fact that she is basically responsible for Tommens suicide.

She said Tommen betrayed her though, she believes that the Tyrells took him away from her.

As far as she's concerned he was dead to her, though she still tried salvaging that by keeping him prisoner.

She said Tommen betrayed her though, she believes that the Tyrells took him away from her.

As far as she's concerned he was dead to her.

If that were true, she wouldn't have ordered the mountain to make sure Tommen didn't leave the Red Keep. Otherwise, Tommen would've gone right over to the sept and been a victim with his wife and brother in law and father in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom