• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Why is the bolded part obvious?

Well, we know one's going to die because it'd be silly to foreshadow a dumbass fucking ballista unless it does something. So, likely one dies. Night King can resurrect things and him resurrecting a dragon to face off against Dany would be a pretty epic ending so I can absolutely see that happening.

You can quote me in a few years if it doesn't happen. I think either Bran's warging an alive dragon or possibly he wargs into the Night King's dragon to stop it from fucking everything over. Something like that is happening.

Figgles

Someone earlier on in the thread said because of the budget, the pacing is just sped up with Euron getting places quickly; the only way I'll find it to be too ridiculous is, if we compare it to the real world ~Westeros being the size of South America, is Euron getting to these places faster than a modern day ship would get to place? If the answer to that is yes then his armada's speed is indeed ridiculous in my opinion

They don't have to be that much faster, considering the distances involved. 5.5 knots vs. 5 knots over a few weeks, and Euron's ships would eventually close the gap.

FiggyCal

Banned
Well, we know one's going to die because it'd be silly to foreshadow a dumbass fucking ballista unless it does something. So, likely one dies. Night King can resurrect things and him resurrecting a dragon to face off against Dany would be a pretty epic ending so I can absolutely see that happening.

You can quote me in a few years if it doesn't happen. I think either Bran's warging an alive dragon or possibly he wargs into the Night King's dragon to stop it from fucking everything over. Something like that is happening.

It would have to be killed in the North which isn't likely. I think all the dragons are going to die this season, but it's going to happen in the South.

If one of the dragons die in the South, it'll be a while before it's resurrected under the Night King. Though that's assuming his magic won't range the whole of Westeros after coming through.

RDreamer

It would have to be killed in the North which isn't likely. I think all the dragons are going to die this season, but it's going to happen in the South.

Depends on how far the Night King makes it. I could see him making it near King's Landing next season. I don't think the resurrection happens right away. Dragon dies this season and is resurrected as a surprise for the 2nd or 3rd to last episode next season.

If one of the dragons die in the South, it'll be a while before it's resurrected under the Night King. Though that's assuming his magic won't range the whole of Westeros after coming through.

Absolutely. I'm not saying it gets resurrected right away. They probably won't burn the dragon corpse. It'll get resurrected when things come to a head next season.

If that were true, she wouldn't have ordered the mountain to make sure Tommen didn't leave the Red Keep. Otherwise, Tommen would've gone right over to the sept and been a victim with his wife and brother in law and father in law.

That's true, though Cersei was resigned to his death.

In Cersei's raddled mind he betrayed her for ''siding'' with the Tyrells.
She tried to ''save'' him but y'know..

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why is the bolded part obvious?

A lot of us are just reading between the lines, understanding why a narrative would suggest certain things (like Giants being turned into white walkers) and the fact that in a narrative you have to kill some over powered things to really make the stakes feel big and make the villains seem stronger. Also in a narrative you rarely ever introduce a weapon without it being used.

Plus there are 3 of them, that makes 2 of them expendable. (are any of them female? if so, I could see 1 female and 1 male surviving).

Tawpgun

I think the show has pacing issues this season because its moving so fast compared to all the other seasons.

Felt like it was 6 seasons of set up and now everything is starting to come together.

Was I expecting Jon to arrive NEXT episode? No. But it just means they didn't have anything relevant to show on the boat ride there and didn't feel like wasting that for another episode. They could have had Bran arriving at Winterfell in Episode 2 honestly.

There's no date, time, clock on these scenes. The scenes either happen AT the same time, or right after. Time jumps aren't anything new in these kind of things. I think people are just put off by how fast all the plot points are moving together.

They don't have to be that much faster, considering the distances involved. 5.5 knots vs. 5 knots over a few weeks, and Euron's ships would eventually close the gap.
I don't really know about knots so I guess you're right.

Yeah I know...she's crazy and evil.

RDreamer

I think the show has pacing issues this season because its moving so fast compared to all the other seasons.

Felt like it was 6 seasons of set up and now everything is starting to come together.

Was I expecting Jon to arrive NEXT episode? No. But it just means they didn't have anything relevant to show on the boat ride there and didn't feel like wasting that for another episode. They could have had Bran arriving at Winterfell in Episode 2 honestly.

There's no date, time, clock on these scenes. The scenes either happen AT the same time, or right after. Time jumps aren't anything new in these kind of things. I think people are just put off by how fast all the plot points are moving together.

People are put off by how unexplainable the travel is. It isn't that it's happening fast. It's that it doesn't make any sense even taking into account some other time skips. "Euron travels way too fast" isn't the complaint because of a time skip, it's a complaint because in relation to everything else what he's doing makes no sense.

The other problem is that there may have been a bunch of setup but the one guy fucking up everyone's shit here got almost no setup at all.

pestul

so for the next episode, scenes from the trailer and preview indicate that
the Dothraki hoard will meet the Tarly & Lannister army out in an open field and will decimate most of them. This makes Jaime very angry, and he takes that giant spear that Qyburn made and tries to kill the dragon himself.

So how the heck do the Dothraki
get off Dragonstone now? Are Stannis' ships still around somewhere lol?
. It sounds like EP4 is going to piss people off with massive time jumps and teleport talk again.

Tawpgun

People are put off by how unexplainable the travel is. It isn't that it's happening fast. It's that it doesn't make any sense even taking into account some other time skips. "Euron travels way too fast" isn't the complaint because of a time skip, it's a complaint because in relation to everything else what he's doing makes no sense.

I dunno I don't see it.

You can complain about some geography/tactics. Such as why Team Dany didn't just stop by Dorne on the way to Dragonstone but eh. I'm sure someone with more time can map out the movements on the map and make them somewhat realistic.

I just think its a silly thing to get hung up on.

Anyway, I'm p excited for the eventual Jamie confronting Cersei about Tyrion being innocent.

I also wish Sam talked about the whitewalkers with Jorah. Would have made the reuinion with Dany more interesting.

Euron went from King's Landing to Casterly Rock in the same episode, though.

And Jamie went from King's Landing to Highgarden (and possibly the Rock in between to get his army) on foot in the same episode and no one seems to be complaining about that. We see Euron's men torturing Yara's men in last episode, it is so inconceivable someone let it slip about where the Unsullied were going? Maybe Euron sent his fleet to the Rock right after capturing Yara, and he went to King's Landing with just his flagship and he caught up later because he's the Pirate King with a wicked fast ship. So many possible explanations, time jumps don't bother me at all Seems a shame to get so hung up on it.

Euron seems more ambitious than sadistic. He wants to take Jamie's place at Cersei's side.

He wants to be a king, in some manner, so first he kills his brother in the Iron Islands and then he smashes up Theon and Yara. Now, he's basically just kissing Cersei's ass until he can marry her.

He enjoyed the celebration as he pulled Ellaria and Yara through King's Landing. - so that right there shows you what he truly wants. In fact, I think he said "This is great!" or something like that while riding the horse to the palace. He loves feeling like a celebrity.

He just wants to be a somebody and will do whatever he has to do become one. He doesn't come off as a sick twisted torturer like Joffrey or Ramsay.

I mean, that could change, but so far all he's done "bad" is kill his brother and taken his Niece prisoner - but she tried to claim the Iron Islands too, so that's more politically motivated than anything. Everything else he's done has been mostly by request. In fact, his naval battles have been pretty impressive to be honest.

Now, if they start off the next episode with him torturing Yara just for giggles, then things change and he becomes that sicko the previous seasons had.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

That's not what she means by "he betrayed me!" It's not the Tyrells it's the High Sparrow. Margeary and Loras were already imprisoned. It was when he held that assembly that Cersei wasn't informed off and then proceeded to ban the right to demand a trial by combat. He effectively fucked over his mom and showed that he was a pawn King for Ayatollah Bernie Sparrows.

I dunno I don't see it.

You can complain about some geography/tactics. Such as why Team Dany didn't just stop by Dorne on the way to Dragonstone but eh. I'm sure someone with more time can map out the movements on the map and make them somewhat realistic.

I just think its a silly thing to get hung up on.

Anyway, I'm p excited for the eventual Jamie confronting Cersei about Tyrion being innocent.

I also wish Sam talked about the whitewalkers with Jorah. Would have made the reuinion with Dany more interesting.

I still stand by the fact all they had to do was not show the Silence off the coast of Casterly Rock and you could easily assume that Euron had his fleet split up, or that they were reserves that came from Pyke which geographically isn't too far from CR.

Not real spoilers
Supposedly the Mad King really fancied Joanna Lannister and supposedly Tyrion may have been their secret love child.

Don't think that theory will come true though.

There's this, but also:

He is obsessed with Dragons, and he was able to calm them enough to unchain them.

Jon Snow, Daenerys and Tyrion's mothers all died in childbirth.

There is the prophecy that the dragon "has three heads." Jon and Daenerys being two... Who is the third?

He avoids getting greyscale (though, it's unclear if the stone man actually touched his skin or just his clothing), and it's believed Targaryen's are immune to most diseases.

Tywin said he would raise Tyrion as his son, because he is a Lannister, implying he doubted his parentage. He also said ""You are no son of mine" before being killed by Tyrion.

It's a long shot, but an interesting theory.

LOL Tyrells. Fucking useless. Slightly impressive seeing Cersei outwit everyone.

RIP Olenna. Even to her final minutes, being a savage.

Incest train got a new engine after that incest blowjob scene.

Is it wrong for me to
burning
ship Jon Snow and Dany to get it on?

Their tension is kind of hawt.

FiggyCal

Banned
I still stand by the fact all they had to do was not show the Silence off the coast of Casterly Rock and you could easily assume that Euron had his fleet split up, or that they were reserves that came from Pyke which geographically isn't too far from CR.

Exactly. And later on Jaime even says to Olenna: "the unsullied wont be able to hold Casterly Rock... the Iron Fleet is on its way". We didn't need to see them attack so soon after the unsullied arrived and we certainly didn't need to see Euron's ship there.

pestul

Exactly. And later on Jaime even says "the unsulliednwont be able to hold Casterly stock... the Iron Fleet is on its way". We didn't need to see them attack so soon after the unsullied arrived and we certainly didn't need to see Euron's ship there.
It still could have happened at the end of this episode, but they shouldn't show the attack immediately after the interrogation by Greyworm.

. It sounds like EP4 is going to piss people off with massive time jumps and teleport talk again.
How are they gonna deal
an army of soldiers wearing breast plate?

Didn't John have them last? It would be pretty funny if he was sitting a fleet and forgot lol

Maybe he gives them to Danny in exchange for the Dragon glass. Or to Davos for his service.

Bread

Banned
I don't get why people are getting so worked up about the time jumps. Do we really need bloated scenes of Euron travelling everywhere?
it's hard to get a grasp on his skills as a captain when it just skips all the interesting stuff. how is he with the men? does he tell them stories? this is why people started watching the show and they're ditching their core audience by showing action all the time.

megalowho

The only timing skips that are tough to reconcile in my head this season are Euron's fleet movements. Everything else is moving quickly but still on par for the series, months can pass in the course of a single episode. They decided against lingering shots of leaves falling off trees or anything else to denote the superficial passage of time long ago, and that's fine. More time for the scenes that carry weight, especially now.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How are they gonna deal
an army of soldiers wearing breast plate?

They're horse men, go ask the Muslims and Christian Europe how well they withstood the Mongols horse riders. Plus the Lannister seem like they are the most "all show no bite" force in Westeros. Any army would be shitting bricks when 100,000 thundering horsemen come charging at them. Unless of course it's the Crimea and you've got guns.

That's not what she means by "he betrayed me!" It's not the Tyrells it's the High Sparrow. Margeary and Loras were already imprisoned. It was when he held that assembly that Cersei wasn't informed off and then proceeded to ban the right to demand a trial by combat. He effectively fucked over his mom and showed that he was a pawn King for Ayatollah Bernie Sparrows.

Ah, yeah. Somehow ignored the High Sparrow in all this mess lmao.

it's hard to get a grasp on his skills as a captain when it just skips all the interesting stuff. how is he with the men? does he tell them stories? this is why people started watching the show and they're ditching their core audience by showing action all the time.

I came to this show for detailed sailing and shipbuilding logistics, I feel like I'm being abandoned here.

This is a fair point. Euron has been given virtually no backstory for such an important character at this stage in the game.

I came to this show for detailed sailing and shipbuilding logistics, I feel like I'm being abandoned here.

I agree with you about the time stuff, but I think the show is trying to give Euron an otherworldly ability to track and attach at sea without providing you much reason to believe he's otherworldly. That's just my interpretation.

They're horse men, go ask the Muslims and Christian Europe how well they withstood the Mongols horse rider.
Mongols also utilized a lot of horse back archery and actual heavy lancers. I don't recall the Dothraki having those. At least not in sufficient numbers.

Part of the mongol success was also brilliant leadership. Are we gonna get introduced to a brilliant Dothraki field commander?

FiggyCal

Banned
Mongols also utilized a lot of horse back archery and actual heavy lancers. I don't recall the Dothraki having those. At least not in sufficient numbers.

Part of the mongol success was also brilliant leadership. Are we gonna get introduced to a brilliant Dothraki field commander?

The answer may surprise you.

Chipotle

I wonder what's in the books that Sam has to copy. The way that he was told there was no reward made me think there must be some significance to them

wandering

Banned

Yeah it's always been weird to me how the Dothraki are supposed to represent the might of the steppe nomads when we never see them use bows...

Like how do they manage with those short sickles on horseback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom