• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Real medieval knights were trained in the art of fighting and warfare from an early age weren't they. They were the fighting class, it was kinda their job. I dunno how it works in GoT.

Seems to be a title given by lords? I don't remember if it was mentioned how Jorah got his, but we know Stannis knighted Davos so it certainly isn't true that all knights are experts at fighting and direct warfare right? If Tyrion wasn't so disliked by the people he worked for, he would probably have been knighted too after the defense of Blackwater Bay.

So that brings us back to the question - why would Jorah be a better military adviser than Tyrion? Barristan and Daario have shown by their deeds and experience that they would be far better advisers on military matters, but Jorah? Dude is a fucking joke.

Volimar

Seems to be a title given by lords? I don't remember if it was mentioned how Jorah got his, but we know Stannis knighted Davos so it certainly isn't true that all knights are experts at fighting and direct warfare right?

That shade. Poor Onion Knight.

duckroll

Look man, it's not shade. Tyrion and Davos are both super capable characters, they're just not lead-from-the-front battlefield warriors. My point is that assuming someone is great at it because they're a knight is presumptuous!

If I wanted to throw shade, I would mention Loras.

Volimar

Look man, it's not shade. Tyrion and Davos are both super capable characters, they're just not lead-from-the-front battlefield warriors. My point is that assuming someone is great at it because they're a knight is presumptuous!

lol

Yeah, Davos would be the first to admit that he isn't the best.

I didn't read the books but I did see Loras in blackwater. Seemed like he was capable I guess lol

They are not Barristan Selmy.

giphy.gif

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Let Henshinsi believe.
If death was at my door steps right now, and I could see the angels aligned in an honour guard to usher me into the Lord's Kingdom. I'd turn my gaze to the heavens and make one last prayer that went, "please almighty god, please let me stay for a moment longer for I have not yet seen them smash!"

matt360

The extreme pacing is necessary. The less time spent tying up loose ends, the more time we will have for battling white walkers

Agreed. We've had 6 amazing seasons of setting up the dominoes. Now it's time to watch them fall. I'm loving this season so far.

Heshinsi

Seems to be a title given by lords? I don't remember if it was mentioned how Jorah got his, but we know Stannis knighted Davos so it certainly isn't true that all knights are experts at fighting and direct warfare right? If Tyrion wasn't so disliked by the people he worked for, he would probably have been knighted too after the defense of Blackwater Bay.

So that brings us back to the question - why would Jorah be a better military adviser than Tyrion? Barristan and Daario have shown by their deeds and experience that they would be far better advisers on military matters, but Jorah? Dude is a fucking joke.
I thought Jorah the sandal was legit. Ok fine I didn't think it through and I concede the point.

SalvaPot

Wasn't he vital in a few of the battles Danny had to do? I honestly can't remember.

Just naming someone a knight for doing a good job seems like a modern thing that GoT has mixed in with other medieval themes, I mean I'm sure a lot of knights today aren't experts at fighting either.

KHlover

Banned
Nothing wrong with being an Onion Knight, at max Lv. it's one of the stronger job classes out there. Speaking of whom, wonder if the Onion Knight will get to onion knight some onions into Casterly Rock. Of course Dany just wants to burn the fleet, but I feel like Davos is the only person in Westeros who could find and slip by Euron's fleet undetected right now. Have him deliver some sweet, juicy onions to the Unsullied first and then spill the beans on Euron's fleet on his way back.

Just read that Jorah was indeed knighted for being one of the first to enter battle during the Siege of Pyke. So there's that.

Was like a decade before the show started though.

Heshinsi

Wasn't he vital in a few of the battles Danny had to do? I honestly can't remember.
No, I'm looking back at those early scenes and the only time I've seen him do on his own, was when he fought that other blood rider and then proceeded to fuck everything up by takimg Dany into the tent. Yunkai was Greyworm, Dario, and him. If I remember correctly he didn't even come up with the plan I think it was Daario. He did throw that timely spear at the assassin Sons of Harpies, and he did also find Dany's ring.

duckroll

Biggest mistakes on the Dany storyline so far:

- Killing Barristan in a lameass fucking nothing battle.
- Leaving Daario the Bedwarmer back in Mereen.

Heshinsi

Yeah the way Barriston got killed was so disappointing. He deserved better.
I still hate how they teased how bad ass of a fighter he was time after time, and then had him killed in an alley by mask wearing, slave wanting douche bags. What happened to the, "even now I can cut through the five of you like carving a cake" bad ass that was ready to throw down with armoured knights 5-1?

So much teasing. The moment when Dany was asking for a champion to fight the Champion of Mereen, and Ser Barristan was like, "let me fight for you my queen!" I legit grew a chubby just thinking "about fucking time, here we go!" Only for Dany to smile and tell him he was too valuable to her to risk. Bummer.

_Rob_

I still hate how they teased how bad ass of a fighter he was time after time, and then had him killed in an alley by mask wearing, slave wanting douche bags. What happened to the, "even now I can cut through the five of you like carving a cake" bad ass that was ready to throw down with armoured knights 5-1?

Isn't that sort of the point though? It doesn't matter how much of a badass trained fighter you are, you can still die unceremoniously.

televator

Do... do you guys think Bran actually like got full view of Sansa's rape? Like he just stood there like a total creep and spectated? I would hope he at least had the decency to look away or just stop the vision before it went too far.

Chumley

Banned
Do... do you guys think Bran actually like got full view of Sansa's rape? Like he just stood there like a total creep and spectated? I would hope he at least had the decency to look away or just stop the vision before it went too far.

Look at him

tixuCSS.jpg

Dead eyes. He saw everything.

Macka

Qyburn took Varys' little birds last season. The birds in King's Landing, anyway. They extent of their loyalty, or if birds outside of KL have also defected to Qyburn/Cersei, hasn't been addressed from what I can remember.
I'm under the impression most of Varys spy networkw as converted by Cersei's maester.

Some Master of Spies he is, if he loses his entire network whenever he leaves the city.

Best episode of the season so far.
Nothing seemed too rushed, and there was actually time for conversations between the characters.
No Arya must mean she was travelling the entire episode, will probably arrive at Winterfell next episode. On the other hand, it took Bran an episode to get from the Wall to Winterfell, so she might only be half way.

Arkanius

Best episode of the season so far.
Nothing seemed too rushed, and there was actually time for conversations between the characters.
No Arya must mean she was travelling the entire episode, will probably arrive at Winterfell next episode. On the other hand, it took Bran an episode to get from the Wall to Winterfell, so she might only be half way.

Two castles conquered in a 5 minute sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom