• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't really don't see how Littlefinger is winning right now, or what his game plan is. None of the Starks trust him. He really overplayed his hand with Jon, who nearly choked him. None of the other houses in the North like or trust him. Sansa seems impervious to anything he says. Is he just wasting his time there?

Any chance of Littlefinger taking the throne was ruined when he left the capital in Season 3.

He's only visited again once to see Cersei and Olenna.

I can't see how he can take it with so little episodes left. He feels like a spare part nowadays.

I don't really don't see how Littlefinger is winning right now, or what his game plan is. None of the Starks trust him. He really overplayed his hand with Jon, who nearly choked him. None of the other houses in the North like or trust him. Sansa seems impervious to anything he says. Is he just wasting his time there?

I don't think he expected Jon to survive the battle. His plan was to retake Winterfell with Sansa and marry her so their children can become Lord of Winterfell.

He also didn't expect everyone to name Jon the king.

Tawpgun

That was just a reference to the books since it's called "A song of Ice and Fire".

Goddamn book readers in the show.

I mean saying you brought ice and fire together is pretty flowery and strange language for just a nod to book readers.

She brought them together for a reason. What does she know?

MikeyB

I don't think he expected Jon to survive the battle. His plan was to retake Winterfell with Sansa and marry her so their children can become Lord of Winterfell.

He also didn't expect everyone to name Jon the king.
No, no, no. He fights everyone all the time in his mind so he is never surprised. Things happen and it is too late because he is like, I've already seen everything.

What concerns me is how his army is enmeshed with that of the Starks. If Cersei decides to pardon him in exchange for some "show of loyalty"....

duckroll

I wonder if he even has to go back anymore. It feels like everything was just mass-uploaded to him when he became the 3-eyed raven.

Even if it's mass-uploaded to him, he still has to process the individual elements to understand them. So him "going back" would be like him opening the file on his harddrive after finding the right one, and it would also act as a visual narrative for the audience to see what he is understanding.

What concerns me is how his army is enmeshed with that of the Starks. If Cersei decides to pardon him in exchange for some "show of loyalty"....

it's not really his army. They have no loyalty to him and they're only there to help Jon snow under the orders from Robin. I don't think he could plot to use the army for another purpose. Not without Robin's command and not with unfailing loyalty.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
it's not really his army. They have no loyalty to him and they're only there to help Jon snow under the orders from Robin. I don't think he could plot to use the army for another purpose. Not without Robin's command and not with unfailing loyalty.

But this also makes it tricky to get rid of Littlefinger, because if Jon were to kill him, then it would be seen as an act against Robin and Robin wouldn't continue helping Sansa out. As slimy as Littlefinger is, and as much as Jon wants him out of there, he knows he can't actually do anything to him.

Croc

Banned
But this also makes it tricky to get rid of Littlefinger, because if Jon were to kill him, then it would be seen as an act against Robin and Robin wouldn't continue helping Sansa out. As slimy as Littlefinger is, and as much as Jon wants him out of there, he knows he can't actually do anything to him.

Unless of course Littlefinger were to be involved in some unfortunate accident.

so I don't remember the exact dialogue from the scene with Bran and how specifically the wedding night happened with Ramsey so maybe there's something there that'd make my understanding wrong, but my interpretation of that Bran scene was that he can see everything but he doesn't necessarily understand or have the full context of what he's seeing. Like maybe he thought it was just her wedding night and she looked pretty and was trying to compliment her but didn't realize what happened that night?

Nah I think he knew what happened and that by mentioning that single memory instead of another, it hit Sansa in the feels. As in, he knows I was raped.. and that was a private thing for her. He proved his point but going over that line. I think the deliver however was very subtle but the look on Sansa's face when she turned around sold it for me.

psyfi

Banned
Does anyone get frequent freezes when trying to watch on the HBO Go website? It's always awful for me, made the most recent episode twice as long as it needed to be. I' using Chrome, maybe I should try a different browser?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Cersei is gonna kill all her enemies and cheer for victory isn't she, then winter comes and screws everyone over. I can feel it in my bones. Daenerys has basically fucked all her advantages and doesn't have much going for her right now bar dragons.

Good episode.

Olenna had a final scene worthy of her. I felt sorry for Jamie after he went out of his way to give her a dignified and painless death, I expected him to draw his sword and make her last moments as miserable as possible.

Felt sorry for the sand snakes as well, that was brutal, though still better than being raped by the Mountain.

Jon and Danny seem to be getting along well enough lol.
I wonder if Melissandre will beg for Danny to go save Greyworm, he's in quite a pinch now.
Danny had an unstoppable force but splitting it up has cost her dearly.

Sansa was understandably upset after realizing how much her brother must've seen.

Cersei is gonna kill all her enemies and cheer for victory isn't she, then winter comes and screws everyone over. I can feel it in my bones. Daenerys has basically fucked all her advantages and doesn't have much going for her right now bar dragons.

Destiny has become a very strong theme in Season 7. Jon has a destiny, Daenerys has a destiny. Bron has a destiny, even the hound seems to have one. Some sort of divine will seems to be guiding these characters, but Cersei does not. I'd say that's pretty bad news for her from a narrative perspective. I do hope the dead army gets to King's Landing though. There will be something fulfilling about seeing all the schemers and unbelievers have the Night King at their door step.

jm89

I think it would easy for jon to get rid of littlefinger. Royce and sansa can handle robin and the vale knights.

redfox088

Banned
out of curiosity why are they keeping Johns resurrection a secret?

is that really out of the ordinary?

like you may be the mother of dragons. but this guy, this muther fucker was dead for 3 days and he came back.
Only jon wants to keep it secret. I think it's because, although miraculous, he was murdered for being Naive and by people he trusted. I think it's survivors remorse. I like to think It's like bragging about surviving a bad car accident that you felt responsible for.

FeD.nL

On Littlefinger, what raven message is he interested in since he was instantly startled when the Maester said the previous Maester made copies of every message?

jm89

Robin was about to kill Royce but Littlefinger had to talk him out of that. Royce is worthless to him.

I think with the starks by his side especially sansa they can convince robin to side with them, or get lady mormont to beat his ass.

Timbuktu

From the last episode, I don't think Jon is going to be back at Winterfell any time soon (a couple of episodes at least). With Arya going there as well, I think it will be up to the Stark siblings to deal with Littlefinger. It feels more like he is trapped at Winterfell than anything, he hasn't got any other play left to his game. We know Arya would be on Jon's side no matter what and wouldn't hesitate killing anyone; Sansa with the authority and Bran who knows everything. If I was Littlefinger, I would do a runner now, his game can't handle superpowers like Bran and Arya's. No one trusts him or likes him, he is so much worst at this than Carcetti in the Wire.

Olenna had a final scene worthy of her. I felt sorry for Jamie after he went out of his way to give her a dignified and painless death, I expected him to draw his sword and make her last moments as miserable as possible.
I kinda thought that would happen, too. But I guess it just goes to show Jamie's state-of-mind, that he's just kinda done with the spiral of shittiness...like what would even be the point in torturing this old lady already moments from death.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Watched it last night and OMG what a great episode.

Really not looking forward to seeing what Euron has in mind for Yara.

Also wondering if Bad Pussy will be saved at the last minute by Bronn with an antidote (Where would he get it of course.) or Yara will be saved last minute by Theon. (Well, with a bunch of people doing the actual work.) Or even both. (Can't have both of course.)

The Olenna and Jamie scene was really really good. I love that she finally revealed that she was the one who killed Joffrey. And she was so happy about it. Farewell Tyrells.

So, would we prefer Jon bend the knee? Or was he right to refuse? What harm would it do? I mean does he just not trust that she's the rightful queen? It sounded like it. Like he has plans on taking that throne for himself or his sister. At least Tyrion was able to convince her to just let him have the Dragonglass. All she wants is King's Landing so I'm sure she knows later once she has the throne she'll be able to force him to kneel if she needs to. At least in her mind. I dunno. I'm just talking out my butt.

I don't see Cersei winning. Even taking some severe losses, I think Dany is gonna win. Like just in time for the wall to be breached and despite Jon's best effort, the seven kingdoms will be caught unprepared.

Croc

Banned
The fact that nothing has happened to Yara yet has me both hopeful and incredibly worried for her future.

Does Cersei have any specific beef with Yara aside from Euron hating her?

effzee

Just watched the episode....phenomenal exchange between Danny and John!

My personal prediction is that the series ends with Littlefinger and Varys as rulers in bed together...cut to black...cue music.

Pagusas

Elden Member

So are you new to narrative structure? Did you watch Empire Strikes Back and think "Oh no.. the emperor is going to kill everyone and rule supreme :( "

There is no drama if Danny comes through and wipes out everyone right away. No, she needs to go down 3 - 28. Then rise up from her darkest moment and lay down the hammer.

FiggyCal

Banned
Same here, more so why anyone would give a damn about some random strangers reaction, lol. Yet the videos already have 1/4 a million views so I guess I'm the weird one.

Making reaction videos is a big business on youtube. And sometimes it can be interesting to see how people react to stuff. I used to watch GoT with my friends and it's not like I'm going to cry in front of them... you know? I guess I like seeing people cry is what I'm trying to say.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, Dany is losing people right and left because of Euron. God he's a magnificent bastard. But I still think she can win.

Also, I loved the introduction scene as Missandei takes forever to introduce Dany...

"You are standing in the presence of Danerys Stormborn of House Targaryn, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, rightful Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains...."

"This is John Snow........... He's King of the North."

RDreamer

The fact that nothing has happened to Yara yet has me both hopeful and incredibly worried for her future.

Does Cersei have any specific beef with Yara aside from Euron hating her?

Cersei doesn't have Yara, Euron does. And he said he's gonna murder her, so...

I'm wondering if there is a mole in the ranks of Jon, Dany, and co. The greyjoy fleet getting completely blindsided and the lannisters totally anticipating the raid on casterly rock seemed too well-coordinated to be just tactics and guesses. Unless the show's plotting is just that poor. Because I honestly thought Cersei was screwed at the end of last season, it's just a little too convenient she gets the Tyrell gold to literally buy herself an army to fight with.

I just wanna see Bran warg into a fucking dragon already is that so much to ask?

The ollena - Jaimie exchange was the superior conversation this episode. Well scripted and a lot better acted. I loved it, one of my favourite scenes from the last few seasons.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
ohh I was under the impression he gave all three of them to Cersei. That makes sense though now that I'm thinking back
Nope, he took Yara with him when he left.

I was wondering why he even took her into the throne room in the first place. I guess he wanted to make 100% sure she didn't escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom