• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

With so many houses going extinct, when the Long Night comes and goes I wonder how life in Westeros continues.

Whoever survives will probably be ranked as high as those who lived during the Age of Heroes thousands of years before GoT.

I find it hard to believe that these great houses are so small. If they have been there for hundreds if not over a thousand years, you would think they would have a ton of cousins and second cousins lining up to lay claim to the likes of Dorne.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
he did though? he was the master of coin
eomeone correct me if I'm wrong but the way I remember it wa that he started going through the books and saw that Littlefinger wasn't good at being the Master of Coin, he'd just always borrow gold when the Crown needed it, so he finds out they are in massive debt.

Tywin only tells Cersei about the gold and I don't recall a scene where she lets another character know.

rtcn63

Wish I hadn't read that since it could end up being a spoiler for the show as well. Probably good for me to stay out of the thread until the show ends.

Nameless

Poor Varys

kinvara.gif

mel-varys.gif

Heshinsi and others should learn from these soul snatchings. Our Lord is real....or Bran.

out of curiosity why are they keeping Johns resurrection a secret?

is that really out of the ordinary?

like you may be the mother of dragons. but this guy, this muther fucker was dead for 3 days and he came back.

Telling that story would literally make people stab you just to gasp when you get up or laugh if you dont

Atlantis

Yeah that scene was actually really good. I felt bad for Tyene, but her mother is a Grade A fucking idiot. All things considered, I actually expected a helluva lot worse, something more akin to what she had planned for Lady O. Lena Headey is an amazing actor. She made it hard to feel bad for Ellaria when what she was saying was the truth. You made this about daughters Ellaria, now reap what you sow.

I actually felt bad for Ellaria in that scene.

Why? Because I thought Indira Varma was absolutely fantastic in it and it made me sad she had to play such a terrible character.

Einchy

Indira Varma was SO fucking good in that scene. You want someone to show a massive amount of dread without a single word uttered? You gotta hire Indira Varma.
Varys has become weird. Either badly written or he plans something. It's just odd.
What do you mean? I haven't noticed him acting weird.

Doomsayer

Varys has become weird. Either badly written or he plans something. It's just odd.

I don't think he's been weird, I just think he is up to no good. I really, really think there is more to Varys and Tyrion, like they are planning something. Me and my girlfriend have been talking about how the Lannisters are staying one step ahead of Dany. Maybe Varys is leaking their plans. It's fun to speculate.

OrionX

I don't think he's been weird, I just think he is up to no good. I really, really think there is more to Varys and Tyrion, like they are planning something. Me and my girlfriend have been talking about how the Lannisters are staying one step ahead of Dany. Maybe Varys is leaking their plans. It's fun to speculate.

Before last week I would've sworn Varys was loyal to Dany, but the encounter with Melisandre did give me doubts. I almost felt a tone of "mhmm I know what you been up to and you're gonna die for it" from her. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I'm beginning to wonder if Dany's little speech about burning him if he betrays her was put in for a reason. Varys, like Littlefinger, is always looking at the bigger picture and playing at a higher level, though his motives seem more altruistic, like all of his decisions are made with a "greater good" in mind.

I don't see it with Tyrion though. I just can't imagine he would ever intentionally do anything to help Cersei.

Garruson

What rape?

The rape where Cersei has sex with him but he says no and nothing beyond that - you can see he's conflicted and doesn't consent. His first and only line is no.

Just goes to show how it doesn't matter the other way around, but a couple of seasons back it was the biggest scandal ever.

The rape where Cersei has sex with him but he says no and nothing beyond that - you can see he's conflicted and doesn't consent. His first and only line is no.

Just goes to show how it doesn't matter the other way around, but a couple of seasons back it was the biggest scandal ever.
Yeah, because Jaime has the physical power to refuse, Cersei does not. Not comparable, sorry.

He liked that dick in her mouth for sure though.

Doomsayer

Before last week I would've sworn Varys was loyal to Dany, but the encounter with Melisandre did give me doubts. I almost felt a tone of "mhmm I know what you been up to and you're gonna die for it" from her. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I'm beginning to wonder if Dany's little speech about burning him if he betrays her was put in for a reason. Varys, like Littlefinger, is always looking at the bigger picture and playing at a higher level, though his motives seem more altruistic, like all of his decisions are made with a "greater good" in mind.

I don't see it with Tyrion though. I just can't imagine he would ever intentionally do anything to help Cersei.

That's exactly how I feel about the guy. He's one of my favorite characters on the show because of it, actually. I think there is more to him than we know right now.

I don't think Tyrion wants to help Cersei, I think he wants to help Tyrion. Why not let the two biggest threats to the throne kill one another while he and Varys destroy the leftovers and rule together. I admit it's a bit fan-fictiony on my end, but it would be a nice twist.

Although if we are talking about fan-fic I want the White Walkers to be on the cusp of destroying the 7 Kingdoms when Tormund and Brienne save the day and annihilate the Night's King. King Tormund and Queen Brienne of Tarth. Now we're talking.

Timbuktu

Yeah, because Jaime has the physical power to refuse, Cersei does not. Not comparable, sorry.

At the same time, the scene is about Cersei exerting her power as queen over him. He can't reject her in that context, which leads to the realisation of how trapped he is later with Olenna.

Garruson

I was unaware rape is defined by who has the physical power...

He's clearly in an emotional place in that scene and she took advantage of that, she clearly has an air of power behind her after getting revenge and a dominance, and she uses that dominance and his affection for her to have sex with him.

Just because he had sex with her doesn't mean it's consensual, again, the only thing he said was no. Compare that to the scene with them before and she said no but then physically consented and a bunch of people proclaimed to never watch the show again.

There's not one article mentioned about it neither. So sorry, you argument is pretty shit.

Seesaw15

Not that I agree with the reading of the scene but rape isn't just about physical power. Cersei has all the power in the relationship so it could happen.

Nameless

She loved Myrcella, but she was relishing in the torment she was doling out. It went beyond simple tit for tat revenge. That smile on her face throughout the scene was perhaps the happiest we've seen her in the entire series, and it was very disturbing, compounded by how the whole thing seemed to sexually arouse her leading into the next scene. She's approaching Ramsay and Joffrey sociopath levels. (Related, Lena Heady's performance in that scene was exquisite, she deserves a nomination this year).

Compare her reaction to Tyrion's when he killed Shae and Tywin, or when Jon executed those who killed him.

It's vengeance, it's either going to fall flat or be the sweetest thing there is. Joffrey and Ramsay enjoyed causing misery for misery's sake, or out of boredom. This was Dany vowing to hear Mirri Maz Duur's dying screams as she burned or Arya's Frey Pie/Red Feast or Sansa watching in delight as Ramsay was torn apart by his own beasts. Did the Queen of Thorns not revel in Joffrey's death before throwing that Spirit Bomb on her way out? I thought it was clever how both revenge scenes this episode enhanced each other.

Einchy

And cersei loves him, that didn't stop people from claiming rape in that case.

It should if you saw how the scene plays out.

He firsts tells her no because he has his hand off and it's a sour subject for him, and it makes him feel useless and immaculate, especially when she has used this subject against him. As soon as he sees her walking in, he tries to put the hand back up, but she pushes it aside, letting him know she doesn't care he doesn't care about that anymore, and starts kissing me. He still feels weird about it, so he says no, but literally a split second after that he starts kissing her and then grabs the back of her head.

Nothing about this scene convey rape. At all.

aBarreras

It should if you saw how the scene plays out.

He firsts tells her no because he has his hand off and it's a sour subject for him, and it makes him feel useless and immaculate, especially when she has used this subject against him. As soon as he sees her walking in, he tries to put the hand back up, but she pushes it aside, letting him know she doesn't care he doesn't care about that anymore, and starts kissing me. He still feels weird about it, so he says no, but literally a split second after that he starts kissing her and then grabs the back of her head.

Nothing about this scene convey rape. At all.

you forgot the cheek squeeze

Garruson

I thought about bringing it up, but didn't want to appear petty for rehashing the backlash over that scene in the sept.

I don't think it shows pettyness, I think it says a lot, however, in that no one is reporting or commenting on it. It would be vastly different if the scene was the same but roles reversed. I think it's telling that in TV and film anything bad that happens to a woman is scandalous and sexist, but everything and anything can happen to men.

I do wonder if it was intentional for him to resist at first, or to incite a discourse about it. It's pretty shitty to not see anyone mention it, though.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So are you new to narrative structure? Did you watch Empire Strikes Back and think "Oh no.. the emperor is going to kill everyone and rule supreme :( "

There is no drama if Danny comes through and wipes out everyone right away. No, she needs to go down 3 - 28. Then rise up from her darkest moment and lay down the hammer.
What? Where did I state that I was set that this was the true narrative? I definitely believe Daenerys needs to be screwed hard in her choices to come back gloriously, maybe losing one dragon out of it. I just think Cersei is going to momentarily win then get screwed by white walkers.

Also I noticed in this episode especially that we seem to be getting incredibly sped up battles. Castle Rock should have been this momentous battle yet it was over quite quickly. I know their forces were relatively small because the Lannisters pulled out and made a decoy but it still felt so void of drama. Same with the boats being attacked and the Tyrrells, just sort of happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom