• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Euron asking Jamie for "advice", I actually said goddamn out loud, lol.
Between that and Olenna's final words he had two pretty bitter pills to swallow, he'll need to unload that piled up frustration on someone eventually.

So I have been thinking, if Jon Snow faced the Mountain who would win? I think Jon is a very good fighter, I'd bet on him.

Jon is in no way Oberyn tier in terms of fighting.

Mountain would take a steaming shit on the guy.

He's like 20 or so right? His fighting experience is hanging out at castle black, and stabbing a couple of dead dudes.

Guys like Oberyn and the Mountain would crush the guy.

He's like 20 or so right? His fighting experience is hanging out at castle black, and stabbing a couple of dead dudes.

Ned hired a master sword-fighter to teach his daughter to fight, you don't think he'd have done more to assure his sons could hold their own? Even his
adopted
bastard.

psaman17

Banned
Ned hired a master sword-fighter to teach his daughter to fight, you don't think he'd have done more to assure his sons could hold their own? Even his bastard.

He could hold his own sure but the mountain is a top tier fighter

Snow probably isnt top 5 when it comes to combat, rob was said to be better than him at virtually everything.

Mountain
Hound
Jaime with both hands
Brienn
Oberyn
Ser loras
Ser Barristan

All easily better than him

Snow probably isnt top 5 when it comes to combat, rob was said to be better than him at virtually everything.

Mountain
Hound
Jaime with both hands
Brienn
Oberyn
Ser loras
Ser Barristan

Oh of course. I didn't think he'd bring down the mountain, but his experience is far more than stabbing corpses.

And Jon was better with a sword than Robb, but weaker at everything else.

Is Jon immune to fire like Dany?

And will Dany be pissed that Jon is the rightful heir to the 7 kingdoms? I mean she could just be his sugar aunty queen, I suppose.
I think that Jon will be immune to fire, easily. Its the best way for the show to be able to confirm to the Kingdoms that he's a Targ'. Hopefully Bran tells every/some/Dany that Jon is a Targ', bullshit is called on that and then a little bit later man gets set on fire, doesn't burn and everyone is 'oh shit.'

As for your spoiler: Yes. I think that will be her turn from a 'good' character to a more violent force.

Mountain
Hound
Jaime with both hands
Brienn
Oberyn
Ser loras
Ser Barristan

You say that but have we actually ever seen the Mountain win a fight against a named character?

Lost a jousting match to Loras
The Hound kept him back easily after the Mountain was sad about losing said joust.
He was easily beaten by Oberyn.

I just can't think when he's shown anything to be afraid of other than his strength. Though, I'm sure that's a lot better now.

Corpekata

Banned
Do we know if the Mountain can really fight anymore beyond a brute strength level? All we've really seen from him since he's been Qybrn'ed are a few massive feats of strength like the head pull, but his only opponents have been a drunk and a religious guy.

I'd have to imagine there's more of a tradeoff to his current state beyond just the loss of personality. He doesn't seem to feel pain but that could also be used to a clever fighter's advantage. Probably doesn't have the same reflexes either.

I think that Jon will be immune to fire, easily. Its the best way for the show to be able to confirm to the Kingdoms that he's a Targ'. Hopefully Bran tells every/some/Dany that Jon is a Targ', bullshit is called on that and then a little bit later man gets set on fire, doesn't burn and everyone is 'oh shit.'

As for your spoiler: Yes. I think that will be her turn from a 'good' character to a more violent force.

Jon Snow burned his hand in season 1 (?) saving Mormont from a wright. Dany being immune to fire was supposed to be a one of miracle to signify the return of magic into the world, alongside her dragons.

Jacob4815

I loved the first three episodes.
But I have a concern: the "big" battles. With less episodes and more budget the producers have promised us "more Battle of Bastards" this year.
The Euron battleship was nice, but very chaotic and short.
The Casterly Rock battle? Two minutes.
The Highgarden sack? Offscreen.

I know that there are 4 episodes left, but now I want to see a big battle between the Lannister and Dany. Epic showdowns, Bronn VS Gray Worm, The Mountain VS the Dragons, etc...
Yes, in the promo trailers there are scenes of a battle with Jaime, the Dothraki and a dragon.
But now i'm a little worried, I fear that the battle will last few minutes...

Give me my Battle of Bastards with dragons and lannister gold!

televator

Mountain
Hound
Jaime with both hands
Brienn
Oberyn
Ser loras
Ser Barristan

Ned shook Jaime durring their duel and I do think Jon is better still. Hound and Mountain have brute force more than actual skill. Loras did have great skill with a swotd, but he lacks the kind of grit that real combat demands. Loras and Oberyn are legit contenders for Jon though.

Jon was raised as the bastard of Winterfell. He wasn't being educated to become a lord, and was constantly shown practicing his sword skills as he had little else to do compared to the rest of his kin.

Still, everyone is a fucking baby compared to Dayne da gawd. Probably Barristan came a distant second.

I loved the first three episodes.
But I have a concern: the "big" battles. With less episodes and more budget the producers have promised us "more Battle of Bastards" this year.
The Euron battleship was nice, but very chaotic and short.
The Casterly Rock battle? Two minutes.
The Highgarden sack? Offscreen.

I know that there are 4 episodes left, but now I want to see a big battle between the Lannister and Dany. Epic showdowns, Bronn VS Gray Worm, The Mountain VS the Dragons, etc...
Yes, in the promo trailers there are scenes of a battle with Jaime, the Dothraki and a dragon.
But now i'm a little worried, I fear that the battle will last few minutes...

Give me my Battle of Bastards with dragons and lannister gold!

I think the latest episode was dedicated to fast forwarding minor conflicts so they can dedicate more time to the coming large ones. I wouldn't have wanted to watch more than a few minutes of fat cats or flower nights being slaughtered.

Ned shook Jaime durring their duel and I do think Jon is better still. Hound and Mountain have brute force more than actual skill. Loras did have great skill with a swotd, but he lacks the kind of grit that real combat demands. Loras and Oberyn are legit contenders for Jon though.

Jon was raised as the bastard of Winterfell. He wasn't being educated to become a lord, and was constantly shown practicing his sword skills as he had little else to do compared to the rest of his kin.

Not like he led the charge which rescued Kings Landing from Stannis.

Volimar

Jon Snow burned his hand in season 1 (?) saving Mormont from a wright. Dany being immune to fire was supposed to be a one of miracle to signify the return of magic into the world, alongside her dragons.

I think it was more of a legend among her bloodline. Viserys claimed to be the Dragon, but since the molten gold burned him, it proved he wasn't. Dany is the Dragon. But yep we saw Jon burn his hand so unless there's some Lord of Light fuckery going on, he's not immune.

televator

Not like he led the charge which rescued Kings Landing from Stannis.

Well yeah, if you put him in a field of fodder, he'll mow everyone down. Briene trounced him once she knocked him off his feet and switched tactics and weapons though. If you put him up against Bron, I think he'd prove too unpredictable for him as well.

televator

Jon would probably be too honorable to win a fight with Bronn.

IDK...
6h8UeEf.gif

Jon can channel some of his own Targeryen madness.

Jacob4815

I think the latest episode was dedicated to fast forwarding minor conflicts so they can dedicate more time to the coming large ones. I wouldn't have wanted to watch more than a few minutes of fat cats or flower nights being slaughtered.

Speculating on the trailers, probably there will be a massive White Walkers battle. Very, very nice.
But what about a proper Dany Vs Lannisters battle? My fear is they hadn't enough budget for two epic battles in the same season.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I actually wonder what will happen to Bronn in the end. Interesting that this character still gets so much attention.

I think Bronn is probably done because he's Lena Headey's ex and they apparently can't be on the same set.

psaman17

Banned

Still, everyone is a fucking baby compared to Dayne da gawd. Probably Barristan came a distant second.

Jaime lannister pre injury was a god tier swordsman. Said to be one of the best of all time according to GRRM. Jon Snow is just above average.

Hyun Sai

Hound and Mountain have brute force more than actual skill.

Really not true for The Hound. He is considered a Top Fighter in Westeros by pretty much everyone, and the defining thing is how his speed and technique are incredible considering his stature.

Martin doesn't particularly like answering questions such as these although he does field them quite a bit. But, when pressed, Martin has put Sandor Clegane in the top tier of fighters in Westeros pretty consistently. As to the text itself, here is a chronological listing that hints as to his skill:

- Back in GOT, the only members of the kings retinue that Ned comments on are Jaime and Sandor, making much of their skill in both cases. With the Hound, Ned makes explicit mention of his reputation and skill.

- During the Hand's Tourney, he beats Jaime and several others to make it to the final four.

- Also, during the Hand's Tourney, he fought his brother Gregor. I saw some mentions that he fought Gregor to a draw but this isn't actually correct. The scene is given to us from Ned's POV and he notes what Sandor Clegane is doing while fighting Gregor. He's only using defensive techniques even though Gregor was repeatedly trying to hit to kill. It takes quite a bit of skill and discipline on the part of the Hound to do something like this.

- Later in the same book, Ned confronts Cersei after Robert's death. He looks around the throne room and the only one in there he is worried about is the Hound, even though there are others in the Lannister retinue and members of the KG present.

- As to his past battle experience, he was present for the sack of KL (when he killed his first man) and the Greyjoy rebellion. He's put in to a commander position by Tyrion for the BBW as he's considered one of the few available that men will follow.

- He fought off a mob by himself to rescue Sansa.

-During the BBW, we see him through a Davos POV where he rides his horse up on to ships to singlehandedly take out archers. Remember, the bay would have been covered in wildfire during this point too.

- As to the Beric fight, others have noted it wasn't a fair fight as he was forced to battle against a sword on fire. But, he still manages to win. Even bigger that I haven't seen mentioned yet- the man does this while his arm is LITERALLY ON FIRE! I'd say that's a whole lot more than facing fear and again speaks to his skill and discipline.

- Later, he fights his way out of the Twins when he realizes the RW is taking place, managing to save Arya in the process.

- At the end of Storm, he fights against the Tickler and Polliver while seriously drunk and not having eaten in awhile. Between him and Arya, they kill off all three in the fight.

- Jaime thinks of him as one of the best fighters out there, one of the very few that has beaten him.

- Jaime gives a great line about him when asked in Feast what to do if he is found "Pray. And Run".

- Cersei in Feast taunts Jaime by saying that she wasn't asking him to do something as dangerous as fight the Hound.

Even if you discount Cersei's comment, Ned and Jaime can be considered reliable narrators when it comes to the skill of others in Westeros. Combine their thoughts with what we see on the page and Martin's words and there is a very strong argument to be made that the Hound is easily one of the best fighters around.

One more thing on size and strength as I saw this brought up. This is part of what makes Sandor such a unique fighter - he is incredibly big but he is still incredibly fast and agile despite this. It's what has made him so good.
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.ph...ible-spoilers/&do=findComment&comment=4305030

So yeah, speaking of Jon, I consider him really not in the league of Barristan, Prime Jaime or The Hound in term of skill and combat experience.

Wow, this episode was really good. None of the scenes felt rushed, all of them felt like they were significant. Pacing throughout was excellent.

Maybe the Highgarden part at the end was over too quickly, but the conversation between Jamie and Olenna was really good.

I think Bronn is probably done because he's Lena Headey's ex and they apparently can't be on the same set.

Yeah there's only ever been one scene that they shared.

Personally I think Bronn being the pragmatist he is will jump ship when he sees the tide turning. Don't forget Tyrion is in a position now where he can double the other person's price.

FStubbs

Ramsay was half mocking him but half truthful too. At this point Jon is one of the best swordsmen in Westeros and probably only the Cleganes can take him in a one on one fight. Anyone else is dead.

Nameless

Mountain
Hound
Jaime with both hands
Brienn
Oberyn
Ser loras
Ser Barristan

Jon casually mentioned that Robb was better growing up while thinking back fondly on his dead brother. That doesn't mean Jon hasn't surpassed him in the years since they used to spar as kids, which he has.

Loras was an extremely skilled tourney fighter who had little experience in actual battle situations. Plus he is was a Knight of Summer and Snow would destroy him.

Mountain is a brute. Skilled to be sure, but if Oberyn could beat him rather easily, Jon could too. He took down Styr after all.

Brienne - great fighter. She won a few small skirmishes in impressive fashion and beat an infection riddled Hound. Still taking Jon based on resume and the eyeball test.

Oberyn - Close fight but I'm partial to Valyrian Steel over wooden spears. In a 'fair' fight I'm taking Jon. But with poison involved all Oberyn has to do is tag you ONCE. A guy that skilled can get single a hit in against anyone.

The Hound - He's a beast. Size, speed, power, skill... He has it all plus pure seething rage driving it. In his prime pre leg injury, Hound by a hair though it's really too close to call. If they fought today Jon takes it due to having increased mobility

Barristan/Jaime - legends in their prime and consensus top 5 all-time. Jon isn't there, YET. But even according to his nemesis Ramsay he's already starting to build his legend has a sword fighter. Though if Ned could at least hang with Jaime I see no reason Jon couldn't. Not saying he'd win but it would be a fight.

Tl;Dr - only 2 people you listed are clearly better than Jon Snow

qPJ2bVA.gif

redfox088

Banned

Mountain
Hound
Jaime with both hands
Brienn
Oberyn
Ser loras
Ser Barristan

I'd throw Bronn,Daario, Euron, Waif, drogo, Arthur Dayne, or "Elyrio"? (Arya's teacher) as better warriors than Jon in the entire show

redfox088

Banned
Ramsay was half mocking him but half truthful too. At this point Jon is one of the best swordsmen in Westeros and probably only the Cleganes can take him in a one on one fight. Anyone else is dead.
I would still put my coin on Brienne, Bronn,Euron,and maybe Ser Friendzone vs. Jon

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of Jorah, did he mention where he was going last episode? I'm guessing going back to Dany.

I was hoping Sam would give him the valyrian sword he stole from his father, but I guess not. What's the point of doing that if he's not going to do anything with it, unless he's planning to go back to Jon so he can dual wield them like a badass? :p

Ah shit, you're right. Did we actually see a burn or did he just yell?

He probably just was burnt. Oh well, that's that theory gone. Glad people like you remember all this stuff.

Jon is still very young, so it's not really fair to compare him to people like prime Jaime or Barristan. He's already a battle-hardened warrior though. He survived Hardhome. That alone puts him in the top tier of active fighters in Westeros. If Jon spent the next 10 years of his life continuing to win fights where he's severely disadvantaged, he'd stand with the all time greats for sure.

Lupercal

Banned
So that's why there's almost zero Bronn screentime? Because of Lena Headey being a cunt.

Now I look forward to Cersei dying even more.

Since when is the Mountain known for being an amazing fighter? He's just big intimidating and Jon would know how to deal with fear since he's fought wights and white walkers before.

Jon would be much faster and armed with Valyrian steel.

Vashetti

Banned
So that's why there's almost zero Bronn screentime? Because of Lena Headey being a cunt.

Huh?

Bronn has loads of screentime in previous seasons. The Lena stuff is nothing new, their relationship was prior to the show.

Bronn doesn't get much to do anymore because a comic relief side character isn't that important this close to the end.

Speaking of Jorah, did he mention where he was going last episode? I'm guessing going back to Dany.

I was hoping Sam would give him the valyrian sword he stole from his father, but I guess not. What's the point of doing that if he's not going to do anything with it, unless he's planning to go back to Jon so he can dual wield them like a badass? :p
Paraphrasing what he said, Jorah pretty much told Sam that he was ready to kill himself when he found out he got the disease, but Dany commanded him to find a cure, so he owes his life to her and his place his with her.

Since when is the Mountain known for being an amazing fighter? He's just big intimidating and Jon would know how to deal with fear since he's fought wights and white walkers before.

Jon would be much faster and armed with Valyrian steel.

I think according to pre-book Lore he is an amazing fighter. He has also done a lot of fighting for the Lanisters but he hasn't been given screen time to show what he can do, for instance the war with Robb Stark. Cersei choose the mountain because he is nearly impossible to beat. He wields a 2-handed sword with one hand. Bronn didn't want to fight him. Oberyn might have been the only one with the balls and the skill needed to fight the mountain in trial by combat.

Jon is in no way Oberyn tier in terms of fighting.

Mountain would take a steaming shit on the guy.

Guys like Oberyn and the Mountain would crush the guy.

Jon is def not as good as Oberyn.. but Oberyn only lost cause he was cocky. So he doesn't have to be as good.

Whatever happened to that woman who appeared, I think just before Tyrion got snatched in that pub ? I swear they gave her a bit more screen time than normal that made it seem like she might appear again.

Well yeah, if you put him in a field of fodder, he'll mow everyone down. Briene trounced him once she knocked him off his feet and switched tactics and weapons though. If you put him up against Bron, I think he'd prove too unpredictable for him as well.

Brienne is hella underrated. I think she's a good shout for the strongest in westeros and with good reason. She wrecked the hound in a brutal fight. Hope we get to see her kick some white walker ass.

Ah shit, you're right. Did we actually see a burn or did he just yell?

He probably just was burnt. Oh well, that's that theory gone. Glad people like you remember all this stuff.

Aha I rewatch episodes from the earlier seasons a lot!

Hyun Sai

I think according to pre-book Lore he is an amazing fighter. He has also done a lot of fighting for the Lanisters but he hasn't been given screen time to show what he can do, for instance the war with Robb Stark. Cersei choose the mountain because he is nearly impossible to beat. He wields a 2-handed sword with one hand. Bronn didn't want to fight him. Oberyn might have been the only one with the balls and the skill needed to fight the mountain in trial by combat.

The Hound never was afraid to face the Mountain, so he also got the chops, skill and confidence to do so.

Bronn didn't want to fight the Mountain because of the lack of financial motives to justify the risk (even if you can outspeed him, one error and it's one shot).

Brienne is hella underrated. I think she's a good shout for the strongest in westeros and with good reason. She wrecked the hound in a brutal fight. Hope we get to see her kick some white walker ass.

Brienne is definitely a monster. Although the Hound was already severly weakened, but she is up there I think.

IDK...
6h8UeEf.gif

Jon can channel some of his own Targeryen madness.

2074yu4sw2teud2.gif

Jon casually mentioned that Robb was better growing up while thinking back fondly on his dead brother. That doesn't mean Jon hasn't surpassed him in the years since they used to spar as kids, which he has.

Loras was an extremely skilled tourney fighter who had little experience in actual battle situations. Plus he is was a Knight of Summer and Snow would destroy him.

Mountain is a brute. Skilled to be sure, but if Oberyn could beat him rather easily, Jon could too. He took down Styr after all.

Brienne - great fighter. She won a few small skirmishes in impressive fashion and beat an infection riddled Hound. Still taking Jon based on resume and the eyeball test.

Oberyn - Close fight but I'm partial to Valyrian Steel over wooden spears. In a 'fair' fight I'm taking Jon. But with poison involved all Oberyn has to do is tag you ONCE. A guy that skilled can get single a hit in against anyone.

The Hound - He's a beast. Size, speed, power, skill... He has it all plus pure seething rage driving it. In his prime pre leg injury, Hound by a hair though it's really too close to call. If they fought today Jon takes it due to having increased mobility

Barristan/Jaime - legends in their prime and consensus top 5 all-time. Jon isn't there, YET. But even according to his nemesis Ramsay he's already starting to build his legend has a sword fighter. Though if Ned could at least hang with Jaime I see no reason Jon couldn't. Not saying he'd win but it would be a fight.

Tl;Dr - only 2 people you listed are clearly better than Jon Snow

qPJ2bVA.gif

Agree.

Jon also got lucky in his fights against Karl Tanner and the thenn asshole.

If he didn't start fighting dirty I don't think he would've won against the thenn.

gun_haver

No, it isn't, and you don't know anything about it except the two actors refuse to share a scene together, so you're just being a sexist dick. They were both cast years ago, they have always refused to share scenes for personal reasons, but it hasn't gotten in the way of Bronn having plenty of screen time in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom