• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotropy

Spectacular, yes, but Dany's just another psychopath now. One with WMDs. The people will surely detest her before they've even seen her - and didn't she just flambé all the food she allegedly needed?

Plum

Gendry is dead right? I throught he was killed by Melisandre(right after they had sex in dragonstone). Or was i remembering it wrong? The reason i ask this is that i think i saw some posts in this thread indicating he is still alive.

Some say that if you look at the reflection of a full moon in the sea and say "Gendry" three times he will appear and take you to the Land of Forgotten Plots.

Spectacular, yes, but Dany's just another psychopath now. One with WMDs. The people will surely detest her before they've even seen her - and didn't she just flambé all the food she allegedly needed?
How is she a psychopath? She's at war and she attacked the enemy army and won and dragons isn't a new weapon of war in westeros.

Dany salt is real.

I've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread, and it's somewhat baffling to me.

Dany said she did not want to take King's Landing using the dragons, because there would be civilian casualties. Using them against Cersei's army is totally fair game, not a sign of Mad King-itis by any stretch of the imagination. If she isn't allowed to us them, why have them at all?

C4Lukins

No the point of that battle was that she attacked the opposing army on the open field. She did not go to Kings Landing and fry a giant city with hundreds of thousands of people.

It was calculated and as humane of an assault as she could have participated in.

Monocle

That is some exquisitely crafted chain of males
*chortle!*

Bronn's and Jaime's plot armor annoyed the hell out of me. Jaime I can kind of get, but why Bronn?
Both should have died on the Battlefield yet it never felt like they were in any danger all the while everyone around them was getting burned alive and slaughtered by the Dothraki.

I hope that at least they will be captured by Dany because if they just make it out alive and well, that has nothing to do with the GoT of the earlier seasons where you knew nobody was save.
I don't know, I feared for their safety a good few times. Not right away, maybe, but as the battle progressed there were a series a moments that each looked like they were leading up to a death.

Jaime standing behind the formation of soldiers with Drogon swooping straight toward them, Bronn's tussle with the Dothraki who looked about to end him at least twice, Bronn on the ballista, Jaime charging Drogon with Tyrion looking on (preceded by some very heavy telegraphing with Jaime contemplating the opening and Tyrion willing him away) ... And several more I can't quite recall.

It was a good tense battle scene. I'm not counting on anyone's survival after what happened to Margaery. I was sure she'd have a lot more to do. I certainly thought she'd outlive Cersei.

Dany is quickly becoming the villain. Hopefully her advisors can talk some sense into her, but it doesn't seem like she wants to listen to wise counsel anymore after she obviously blew off Jon's advice.

frankMX

Gendry is alive, rowing a boat for several seasons.

row-row-row-your-boat-gendry-down-the-sea-merrily-6170262.png

Some say that if you look at the reflection of a full moon in the sea and say "Gendry" three times he will appear and take you to the Land of Forgotten Plots.

Lol. My bad, just looked it up on wiki.I totally forgot he was saved by Davos at the end.At least i didn't get the sex part wrong.Thought i was crazy:p

Alienfan

How is she a psychopath? She's at war and she attacked the enemy army and won and dragons isn't a new weapon of war in westeros.

Dany salt is real.

She's the one attacking, she essentially started the war. She just spent that episode burning thousands of soldiers alive, an army of soldiers I doubt would have chosen to fight out of their own free will, most were probably as innocent as the civilians in Kings Landing that she's trying to "save". She came out of that episode looking like a monster.

I hope the show goes more in the evil Danny direction, it's quite unexpected

nOoblet16

The last person in GoT who kept telling people to bend the knee didn't do so well (Stannis). Someone needs to calm Danny down.

Also she is so adamant about birthright, her birthright in particular. But if Jon's parentage is proven true and proven to be legitimate then it be Jon's birthright. I wonder how she'll act then.

kAmui-

She's the one attacking, she essentially started the war. She just spent that episode burning thousands of soldiers alive, an army of soldiers I doubt would have chosen to fight out of their own free will, most were probably as innocent as the civilians in Kings Landing that she's trying to "save". She came out of that episode looking like a monster.

Where are you getting this?

jm89

Nah danys alright, you can't reason with real psychopaths like cersei and jamie.

Also i wonder how much of the lannister army got wiped out?

Atomic Odin

Wonder why Tyrion didn't shouted at Jaime when he was about to start his run? The angle made it appear they were in close enough vicinity.

Its preposterous. Almost as if people have forgotten what horrors Lannister army have carried out throughout the length of the show.

nOoblet16

She's the one attacking, she essentially started the war. She just spent that episode burning thousands of soldiers alive, an army of soldiers I doubt would have chosen to join out of their own free will, most were probably as innocent as the civilians in Kings Landing that she's trying to "save". She came out of that episode looking like a monster.

Yea the war of the five kings was finished. The war now is one she started because "muh birthright". Though I don't get how it's her birthright, Robert took the throne by conquest...so it belongs to his line now.

If she thinks it's her birthright because taking throne by force doesn't count then what if the dude that used to rule before the Targaryan conquest centuries ago?

Jesus the lengths people will go through to hate daenerys is weird. How in the world did she start the war that has already been going on for years to decide who will rule westeros?

Hyun Sai

I don't understand why Dany can't use at least one Dragon on King's Landing. She seems to be able to tell him where to fire, no ?

_Ryo_

So what did Dany actually accomplish and gain besides killing a lot of Lannister soldiers who probaby didnt want to fight or take High Garden in the first place, and taking back what she already had, with extreme loss to High Garden's armies and wealth. All she has now is food, if she didnt burn it all away.

Jamie is obviously going to live.
Randal Tarly may have escaped.
Bronn survives.

She earns Tyrions disapproval.

She also didnt really kill any major character as far as I remember? Meanwhile Cersi has the Iron Bank, and thus money to pay for armies, she killed the Sandsnakes, she killed, Ollena, and she tricked the unsullied big time and now they waste away on a useless rock.

I am Team Dany and I definitely want her to defeat Cersi but besides making sure there are less actual Lannister soldiers, which dont even look like to be the main company I dont see how much she really accomplished here.

She's probably really upset her greatest allies as well and now they will compare her to her father.

Isotropy

People say they're baffled by the idea that Dany's a psychopath/becoming a villain, but why is it so shocking? What's so special about her that she can't be corrupted by power? I'm just saying she's now just like all the other crackpots throwing their hat in the ring. I'm just saying there's nothing mystical or special about her, dragons aside.

And she nuked a supply line of food, which she probably needed. Slow clap.

So what did Dany actually accomplish and gain besides killing a lot of Lannister soldiers who probaby didnt want to fight or take High Garden in the first place, and taking back what she already had, with extreme loss to High Garden's armies and wealth. All she has now is food, if she didnt burn it all away.

Jamie is obviously going to live.
Randal Tarly may have escaped.
Bronn survives.

She earns Tyrions disapproval.

She also didnt really kill any major character as far as I remember? Meanwhile Cersi has the Iron Bank, and thus money to pay for armies, she killed the Sandsnakes, she killed, Ollena, and she tricked the unsullied big time and now they waste away on a useless rock.

I am Team Dany and I definitely want her to defeat Cersi but besides making sure there are less actual Lannister soldiers, which dont even look like to be the main company I dont see how much she really accomplished here.

She's probably really upset her greatest allies as well and now they will compare her to her father.

The history of war shows that even winning a battle can be huge even if a lot of it is symbolic. She is probably going to capture Jaime which will be a huge blow to Cersei and she now has shown that she is not to be taken lightly

Also sieging Kings Landing will results in thousands of peasants dying of starvation. How is that somehow more humane and endearing

no she doesn't - the lannister army was on their way with the money/gold of high garden so that Cersei could pay off her debts at the iron bank.

The dude from ironbank said himself - we will support you, as soon as we get our money.
Now that its gone?

Hyun Sai

no she doesn't - the lannister army was on their way with the money/gold of high garden so that Cersei could pay off her debts at the iron bank.

The dude from ironbank said himself - we will support you, as soon as we get our money.
Now that its gone?

I think they managed to get the Gold in KL.

Addi

Amazing episode.

Some people here mentioned the possibility of the Scorpion being poisoned, I think it actually could be a thing. It's called Scorpion and Qyburn used poison last week and he had an exposition about the poison possibly taking a long time to work depending on the subject. Another thing is that Drogon is probably named after Khal Drogo, who also died of poisoning. What works against that theory is that in the field of battle they would need a weapon that kills dragons immediately. Why poison a dragon if it has time to kill everyone anyway? Especially if it was an attack on King's Landing, the dragons would die after Dany had won the Iron throne.

Jaime is interesting. People sinking underwater has historically often been a metaphor for someone entering their subconsciousness. I'm guessing he will come up changed, that was the final straw. Olenna's revelation had several implications, a lot of the things happening up until now has been because of Joffrey's death. Jaime was probably hard on himself for letting Tyrion go since it resulted in Tywin's death. Cersei was really hard on him about that. As with the killing of Aerys, doing the right thing has often meant bad consequences for him. He seemingly chose to double down on his allegiance to Cercei in this episode. Bronn saying sarcastically that Cersei's reign would be peaceful, him responding "stranger things have happened" as a continuation of the arguments he used last episode with Olenna. He was shook though, Bronn commented on that. Then you have the dragon burning his men reminding him of the mad king and him losing his head going kamikaze. He won't come up the same.

Bronn lost his money. I wonder if Tyrion will make good on the promise that whatever someone pays him, he will pay double.

nOoblet16

The dude from ironbank said himself - we will support you, as soon as we get our mone.
Now that its gone?
It's not gone.
The money is already about to reach King's Landing, what Jaime and co were transporting was supplies.

Jackpot

Banned

Now that its gone?

So many people don't seem to watch the show.

They explicitly said the gold was already secure in King's Landing at the head of the caravan. This section of the caravan was carrying all the grain they'd pillaged.

Addi

It's not gone.
The money is already about to reach King's Landing, what Jaime and co were transporting was supplies.

Yep, and the reason why they were not in King's Landing at the same time as the gold is that they had to raid farms in the area for the supplies.

What? Cersei says they (the Lannisters) drew first blood in a previous episode. Plus, considering what she did to Dorne and the Tyrells, armed conflict was inevitable, even if Dany never came to Westeros.

No clue. They're an enemy army, and it's a real stretch to view them as innocent when they attacked you first.

Yea the war of the five kings was finished. The war now is one she started because "muh birthright". Though I don't get how it's her birthright, Robert took the throne by conquest...so it belongs to his line now.

If she thinks it's her birthright because taking throne by force doesn't count then what if the dude that used to rule before the Targaryan conquest centuries ago?

See above. The Martells and Tyrells were inevitably going to fight Cersei over what she did last season.

I can see Dany taking a heel turn eventually, but to say we've seen it already is a gross exaggeration.

I've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread, and it's somewhat baffling to me.

Dany said she did not want to take King's Landing using the dragons, because there would be civilian casualties. Using them against Cersei's army is totally fair game, not a sign of Mad King-itis by any stretch of the imagination. If she isn't allowed to us them, why have them at all?

She said that AFTER she was advised to not do it. She has to be consistently warned not to do terrible things.

On top of that she has a lust for power that is based on nothing but being the daughter of an insane king. A man she will condemn only if it suits her to do so.

Eidan

Haha man. six years of build up and there are so many people sickened, dare I say, appalled that Daenerys would use her dragons in a battle against another army.

Sanctuary

I'd been speculating since they announced the shortening of the last two season as being not for story reasons, but budget. Maybe that's not quite accurate, but at least three of the four episodes so far this season must have cost as much as any previous season finale. They've been spectacular.

Haha man. six years of build up and there are so many people sickened, dare I say, appalled that Daenerys would use her dragons in a battle against another army.

Dragon's aren't just garnish. This isn't the first time she used them on the show though.

Amazing episode.

Some people here mentioned the possibility of the Scorpion being poisoned, I think it actually could be a thing. It's called Scorpion and Qyburn used poison last week and he had an exposition about the poison possibly taking a long time to work depending on the subject. Another thing is that Drogon is probably named after Khal Drogo, who also died of poisoning. What works against that theory is that in the field of battle they would need a weapon that kills dragons immediately. Why poison a dragon if it has time to kill everyone anyway? Especially if it was an attack on King's Landing, the dragons would die after Dany had won the Iron throne.

Jaime is interesting. People sinking underwater has historically often been a metaphor for someone entering their subconsciousness. I'm guessing he will come up changed, that was the final straw. Olenna's revelation had several implications, a lot of the things happening up until now has been because of Joffrey's death. Jaime was probably hard on himself for letting Tyrion go since it resulted in Tywin's death. Cersei was really hard on him about that. As with the killing of Aerys, doing the right thing has often meant bad consequences for him. He seemingly chose to double down on his allegiance to Cercei in this episode. Bronn saying sarcastically that Cersei's reign would be peaceful, him responding "stranger things have happened" as a continuation of the arguments he used last episode with Olenna. He was shook though, Bronn commented on that. Then you have the dragon burning his men reminding him of the mad king and him losing his head going kamikaze. He won't come up the same.

Bronn lost his money. I wonder if Tyrion will make good on the promise that whatever someone pays him, he will pay double.

Interesting take, Reddit posted this in reference the show coming full circle.
hbdrm4aob8ez.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glorious episode. Loaded with fan service but I don't mind, as it was solid fan service that has been simmering throughout the proceeding six seasons. Namely the (remaining) Stark kids family reunion and some proper Dany versus Westeros action.

And the final battle was wonderful. Gorgeous cinematography and CGI. Sure shlocky and plot armour, but whatever. The cinema of it all was immensely satisfying and entertaining. Strong audio production, too.

Narratively I feel this is the turn for Jamie, one way or the other. It's a massive shock to the ego and a frontline assessment of how fucked they are all. Dany's dragon's aren't invincible but this conflict shows that her presence isn't a fickle force and if/when she applies herself the damage dealt is monumental. Jamie was totally out of his element. I could see this splintering his relationship with Cersei, who either doesn't get or care about the destruction (especially Lannister family) and is deluded she has the upper hand, while a now conservative Jamie has first hand perspective of how wrong this assessment is.

_Ryo_

Now that its gone?

Yes she does. Randal Tarly told Jamie that the gold had arrived through the gates of King's Landing. Cersei has the money to give to the Iron Bank and thus their support, and the armies they can fund.

People say they're baffled by the idea that Dany's a psychopath/becoming a villain, but why is it so shocking? What's so special about her that she can't be corrupted by power? I'm just saying she's now just like all the other crackpots throwing their hat in the ring. I'm just saying there's nothing mystical or special about her, dragons aside.

And she nuked a supply line of food, which she probably needed. Slow clap.

Of course, she can be corrupted, and I can fully see that happening when she discovers Jon's heritage...

However, it has not happened yet.

Mendrox

Evil? Because she minimizes the threat of that army? This is a war that Cersei already started first - not Dany. How else is she suppose to fight? Have you forgotten all the ships in the second episode that got taken?

I'm sorry... did you think everyone was a fan of hers before this? I've disliked her since the start for the same reasons we're discussing now.

Evil? Because she minimizes the threat of that army? This is a war that Cersei already started first - not Dany. How else is she suppose to fight? Have you forgotten all the ships in the second episode that got taken?

The war Cersei started? It was Daenerys intention to invade, conquer, and kill anyone who opposed her since day 1. Whether Cersei was there or not she would have started a war.

I know it pains people to think of their heroine as being something other than a golden child but her intentions from the start would have always ended up in open war.

frankMX

Amazing episode.

Good observation and good post.

Sanctuary

I'm sorry... did you think everyone was a fan of hers before this? I've disliked her since the start for the same reasons we're discussing now.

The war Cersei started? It was Daenerys intention to invade, conquer, and kill anyone who opposed her since day 1. Whether Cersei was there or not she would have started a war.

I know it pains people to think of their heroine as being something other than a golden child but her intentions from the start would have always ended up in open war.

Not everyone had Uncle Ben to set them on the correct path. :(

_Ryo_

The history of war shows that even winning a battle can be huge even if a lot of it is symbolic. She is probably going to capture Jaime which will be a huge blow to Cersei and she now has shown that she is not to be taken lightly

Also sieging Kings Landing will results in thousands of peasants dying of starvation. How is that somehow more humane and endearing

I dont think capturing Jamie is that big a deal. Cersi is like one more literal fuck away (Euron) from Jamie betraying her anyway. I mean, how much has he already given up for her? Enough is enough.

Also, I think this battle will embolden Dany to actually fight Kings Landing, not keep her away. She will see that fighting with Dragons and Dothraki = winning and further ignore all her advisers and allies. She will be blind to the misfortunes she will faces. I think shes become a spoil of war herself, and the title of the episode refers to her loss of insight, and empathy, all she sees now is victory and it will be her downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom