• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome

I agree, but Sansa does have a point. It's a convincing dilemma. Do you focus your energy on the greater long term threat or the immediate threat.

The problem with this from a narrative perspective is dealing with consequence of questioning Jon's motives after killing him for them once. To have him be betrayed a second time can only reasonably lead to humanity ultimately failing, anything else would be in conflict with the promises made by the show thus far.

Considering they don't do that, because it would be terrible writing, that leaves us with Sansa losing the conflict with Jon, and what does that even look like? A violent conclusion makes no sense, as that would result in the same as the above. Sansa just giving in to Jon's reasoning would just make the whole conflict seem...pointless.

Loxley

Stolen from Twitter:

Kill tally for season 7...

• Daenerys: 0
  • John Snow: 0
  • Cersei: 0
  • The Hound: 0
  • White Walkers: 0
  • Arya: 50+

FiggyCal

Banned
Can someone help me out with a quick summary of what all Jorah did last season? I was confused seeing him in Oldtown.

Daenerys found out he was working with the Baratheons and exiled him. He wanted to be in her good graces so he kidnapped Tyrion and was planning on offering him up to her as a political prisoner. The plan kind of worked, but he caught grayscale on the way. And he went off looking for a cure.

Ridli

Can someone help me out with a quick summary of what all Jorah did last season? I was confused seeing him in Oldtown.

He helped Daario track down Dany with the Khals, finally letting folks know about his greyscale. Dany said "ok I guess I prolly shouldn't kill you since you keep doing good stuff for me but you're totes not hanging around in my inner circle when you're turning into a granite zombie. go get some skin cream or something and get that cleaned up." So he had to find a cure for greyscale and looks like he ended up going to the only place where there's a bunch of doctors in one place, the Citadel.

Not a big deal but yeah I guess it is a tiny bit surprising this place is completely deserted. Even from randoms.

Though I'm not sure I'd really want to deal with that slowing things down anyway. As has been said, we're late in the game it's probably not necessary.

Still can't help but feel that Dany will die eventually. That privilege & entitlement though...

Part of me feels like it makes the most sense for her to because it's been so obvious she's supposed to be the "Victor" at the end of this and have the the throne that they are gonna try to give people a swerve and kill her.

But then again she's probably just going to be exactly what we all thought all along and be Queen when this ends.

Only thing I feel would be really lame is if they kill Jon again. It will already feel like been there / done that

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not a big deal but yeah I guess it is a tiny bit surprising this place is completely deserted. Even from randoms.

Though I'm not sure I'd really want to deal with that slowing things down anyway. As has been said, we're late in the game it's probably not necessary.

Yeah, there should have probably have been some people left there but it would've ruined the whole scene. Rather then her landing, walking up the steps and then entering her new throne room, you'd have to fight off some random people. No point in ruining a great scene for something that really wouldn't have added anything to the show.

BTM

Stolen from Twitter:

Kill tally for season 7...

• Daenerys: 0
  • John Snow: 0
  • Cersei: 0
  • The Hound: 0
  • White Walkers: 0
  • Arya: 50+

Do dragon kills count towards Dany's tally? If so she'll probably top the list at the end of the season

I hope we don't have to wait until the last episode to see the White Walkers do something more than just walking again.

There's only so much walking you can do before you get annoying.

Burglekutt

Arya continues the streak of greatest character arch. I liked the conflict between Sansa and Jon.Theyve been dealing with different adversaries that act in different ways.

The One and Done™;243668046 said:
I really wish Arya was heading North but I totally I understand why she isn't. Kill the Queen!

No one ever really gets where they intend to go on this show. I think once she finds out about her bro being kingindannorff she'll 180

Oddduck

Agreed. Between all the Stark children, Sansa and Jon are the easily the most un-alike and have completely different outlooks and experiences. In this situation i absolutely agree with Sansa. Jon is a warrior but he's as stupid (and noble) as every other Stark man that's been killed in this series. They all died putting their trust in the wrong people, and each one had someone pointing out their mistakes but they didn't listen. Jon's no different.

Exactly. When people discuss Sansa's behavior, this is something that more people need to talk about.

Sansa has lost confidence in the men of the Stark family.

Ned Stark and Robb Stark were both killed for trusting people too much. Their mother wouldn't be dead if it wasn't for Robb Stark's stupidity. Theo Greyjoy wasn't a Stark, but he was still a part of the family, and he made a lot of stupid decisions. The men in the Stark family aren't the best decision makers.

Shall-We-Begin-Star-Trek.gif

Hell yes, let's do it.

Yeah, there should have probably have been some people left there but it would've ruined the whole scene. Rather then her landing, walking up the steps and then entering her new throne room, you'd have to fight off some random people. No point in ruining a great scene for something that really wouldn't have added anything to the show.

Completely agree. My thoughts as well, it wouldn't have added anything, it's a great scene and stronger the way it is.

Xamdou

Loved the ending scene with Danny landing on her birthplace of Dragonstone! When she said "Shall we begin" that literally chills down my spine!

Barzul

Honestly wonder what Sansa's long term play is. They were both right in that argument. Jon because why risk alienating the men of the Karstarks and Umbers when every fighting man is needed and Sansa in that being trusting to the point of naïveté gets you killed. Think overall Jon's argument was more sound. Nothing causes humans to band together faster than imminent and certain death. The enemy you know and all that.

jviggy43

I hope we don't have to wait until the last episode to see the White Walkers do something more than just walking again.

There's only so much walking you can do before you get annoying.
This wouldn't be game of thrones without hinting at the white walkers' threat only for it to never come.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Question:

How come they're only looking for dragon glass and not valyrian steel? Don't both work equally as well against White Walkers?

Gnome

Honestly wonder what Sansa's long term play is. They were both right in that argument. Jon because why risk alienating the men of the Karstarks and Umbers when every fighting man is needed and Sansa in that being trusting to the point of naïveté gets you killed. Think overall Jon's argument was more sound. Nothing causes humans to band together faster than imminent and certain death. The enemy you know and all that.
Sansa' trying to play the game. Jon having been killed by the game already, is trying to beat the game by making people realize how much bullshit it is.

Barzul

Agreed. Between all the Stark children, Sansa and Jon are the easily the most un-alike and have completely different outlooks and experiences. In this situation i absolutely agree with Sansa. Jon is a warrior but he's as stupid (and noble) as every other Stark man that's been killed in this series. They all died putting their trust in the wrong people, and each one had someone pointing out their mistakes but they didn't listen. Jon's no different.

Jon was definitely stupid before his death. Think dying has altered some of his perspectives a bit. I mean he explicitly stated that in his speech and why it reinforced his decision to spare the lower houses for their treason.

Joeku

Question:

How come they're only looking for dragon glass and not valyrian steel? Don't both work equally as well against White Walkers?

Dragonglass is a thing that just is (obsidian), while Valyrian steel is made. It's probably going to be easier to make arrowheads out of the former than forge new swords out of the latter.

Ironically, Jons decision was very much UNLIKE Ned and Robb. They did things the honorable way meaning, the OLD way; taking wards etc. They would have ostracized the Karstarks and Umbers and taken Alice and Ned as wards. Jon has done things the NEW way, showing mercy while also bring principled and strong. His move probably unified the North more than any other move would have.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Question:

There's only a handful of Valyrian Swords left, they can probably get a hold of those pretty easily, or at least know which family has them.

Question:

There's not really a cache of valyrian Steele. It's rare. The only valyrian steel weapons in westeros belong to houses and have for a thousand years.

Barzul

There's not really a cache of valyrian Steele. It's rare. The only valyrian steel weapons in westeros belong to houses and have for a thousand years.
Can't Valyrian steel be forged now with Dany's dragons in Westeros? Or have the blacksmiths forgotten how? I knows Ned's sword was reforged...but is it the dragon fire that makes Valyrian steel or is there a special alloy?

Ridli

For real though Cersei is done-zo. Her last big ally left is Euron Greyjoy.

I mean, apparently he can build a thousand ships in like 3 weeks and turn rocks into wood, so that's pretty nice. But even if the Ironborne manage to hold the blackwater from Dany's Essos crew, they aint gonna do squat against the armies of the Reach and Dorne. Or you know, the three dragons.

My question is how long Qyburn sticks with her. He's pretty grateful since she basically put him in power, but he ain't stupid.

FiggyCal

Banned
Question:

I think in a previous season, they said that the knowledge of how to make valyrian steel disappeared when "the Doom" destroyed Valyria. So you kind of have two problems. 1. It would take time to make valyrian steel and form it into weapons. 2. The knowledge of how to make new valyrian steel died out a long time ago, so we're just left with the ones that currently exist.

Barzul

For real though Cersei is done-zo. Her last big ally left is Euron Greyjoy.

I mean, apparently he can build a thousand ships in like 3 weeks and turn rocks into wood, so that's pretty nice. But even if the Ironborne manage to hold the blackwater from Dany's Essos crew, they aint gonna do squat against the armies of the Reach and Dorne. Or you know, the three dragons.

My question is how long Qyburn sticks with her. He's pretty grateful since she basically put him in power, but he ain't stupid.

Yeah wood doesn't mean shit against fire. Dany is the de facto winner of any conflict she's in unless someone figures out an effective way to neutralize those dragons. So far none have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom