• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't Valyrian steel be forged now with Dany's dragons in Westeros? Or have the blacksmiths forgotten how? I knows Ned's sword was reforged...but is it the dragon fire that makes Valyrian steel or is there a special alloy?
Know one knows how its made. The secret of making it died with the ancient valyians. I think tywin was able to make it becuase I've was already made of it. But I could be wrong

Jon Stark is following his father and brother footsteps. His second death will be glorious. After six seasons of Game of Thrones we have already learned that people with good intentions in their heart are the first to be killed. They act before they can think. Sansa was dropping bombs on Jon, but he wouldn't listen. Only assholes like little fingers will survive.

Gnome

Can't Valyrian steel be forged now with Dany's dragons in Westeros? Or have the blacksmiths forgotten how? I knows Ned's sword was reforged...but is it the dragon fire that makes Valyrian steel or is there a special alloy?

There's a special process to it, it's mentioned at the beginning of S4E1, that Tywin had to find to find one of the last few smiths in the world who even knew how to reshape Valyrian steel into a new sword (Ice being reshaped into Jaime's and Joffrey's swords). I don't think anyone is left that actually knows how to synthesize new Valyrian steel from scratch. It's probably a synthesis of obsidian (dragonglass) and normal steel, that has to be forged with dragon fire.

Ridli

They still don't know how to make more V steel. There's a finite amount of it in the world, so all they can do is reshape the existing amount into different shapes.

Part of me feels like it makes the most sense for her to because it's been so obvious she's supposed to be the "Victor" at the end of this and have the the throne that they are gonna try to give people a swerve and kill her.

But then again she's probably just going to be exactly what we all thought all along and be Queen when this ends.

Only thing I feel would be really lame is if they kill Jon again. It will already feel like been there / done that
Jon dying makes zero sense not only from narrative perspective, but because people will be like "lol Melly do ur fire magic again". But this is GoT so who knows. I do think we'll learn more about these people Lord of Light brings back for a purpose, and what happens after that purpose is met.

Also, there is this "why couldn't frodo fly eagle to mount doom" question lingering in my head, and that's why cant Dany's dragons toast the ice walkers to crisp?

Zasa

Part of me feels like it makes the most sense for her to because it's been so obvious she's supposed to be the "Victor" at the end of this and have the the throne that they are gonna try to give people a swerve and kill her.

But then again she's probably just going to be exactly what we all thought all along and be Queen when this ends.

Only thing I feel would be really lame is if they kill Jon again. It will already feel like been there / done that
Yeah, I agree. Her part just seems way too straightforward & safe. Three massive dragons ready to kill some White Walkers & anyone else who stands in her path, & a great council behind her. What could go wrong? Maybe some 'mad king' patterns of behavior once she consolidates even more power than she's used to? (Doubt it tbh)

Do feel like if she did die, it'd have to be in the final battle vs the White Walkers. Go down (along with her dragons probably) as a martyr for Westeros for saving the land. Would definitely seem like the bittersweet ending GRRM has talked about.

Can't say that episode dud anything for me. Way too slow. Why do these first episodes of the season always have to hit the reset button in terms of pacing?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Know one knows how its made. The secret of making it died with the ancient valyians. I think tywin was able to make it becuase I've was already made of it. But I could be wrong

Well, that's one of the questions I have. Obviously, it takes a special weapon to kill White Walkers. Dragon glass is obviously special, but what makes Valyrian Steel so special? Does it have any connection to dragon glass? Old Valyria is where dragons seem to live, so it seems like anything dragon-related is a key to stopping White Walkers, no?

-griffy-

Banned
Question:

How come they're only looking for dragon glass and not valyrian steel? Don't both work equally as well against White Walkers?
There's only a limited number of Valyrian steel weapons around, and I'm not sure there's anyone alive that can even make new ones. Tywin mentioned something like it was hard finding someone skilled enough to simply reforge Ned's sword when they melted it down back in season 2. There's presumably more dragonglass weapons out there since people really don't understand their true value, and you don't need to do anything to dragonglass to use it, other than shape it into a pointy thing.

FiggyCal

Banned
Jon dying makes zero sense not only from narrative perspective, but because people will be like "lol Melly do ur fire magic again". But this is GoT so who knows. I do think we'll learn more about these people Lord of Light brings back for a purpose, and what happens after that purpose is met.

Also, there is this "why couldn't frodo fly eagle to mount doom" question lingering in my head, and that's why cant Dany's dragons toast the ice walkers to crisp?

Maybe that's exactly what will happen. But she doesn't even know they exist now.

Elandyll

Banned
Was a good setup ep, with quite a few great scenes, Arya and Hound at the top.

Sansa needs to go fuck off with the political intrigue shit when the White Walker army is on the way tbh. That time has passed.

Jon sees so much farther than her here it was crazy. It's also better to build a future where you don't breed in resentment and division. I get her time under Geoffrey and Ramsey changed her, as well as her cohabitation with Littlefinger, but it's time to wake up.
If she was as smart and as sneaky as she thought frankly, she would arrange for Sir Peter to have an "unfortunate accident".

Arya wiped out the whole Frey hierarchy before they ran the opening song...

The red wedding episode was one for the ages and they threw away it's conclusion in a 5 min segment to kick things off. Not particularly good television for these eyes. That entire subplot should have been stretched out throughout the episode rather than have her shoot the shit with Ed Sheeran and the gang.

Ramirez

It's a pretty strong strategic position. It's kind of silly that the Lannister's would simply overlook holding it this whole time.

The High Sparrow shenanigans distracted/occupied them, and then they lost all of their allies when Cersei decided to blow everything up. I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Lannister supply of soldiers is endless, lol.

RDreamer

Jon Stark is following his father and brother footsteps. His second death will be glorious. After six seasons of Game of Thrones we have already learned that people with good intentions in their heart are the first to be killed. They act before they can think. Sansa was dropping bombs on Jon, but he wouldn't listen. Only assholes like little fingers will survive.

Actually that scene said almost the opposite. He specifically compares doing what Sansa says to Ned, who obviously died, and to what he did as Lord Commander, and that also got him killed. He's not doing that bullshit anymore.

Dragonstone is also an island, so it isn't like normal folk could just get to it. Though, you would think pirates or such would stay there.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Another thing I want to know is how does the Lord of Light play into this and will we ever find out who/what it actually is? I mean, we assume it's a god, but it could also be some type of spirit or even simple black magic.

And if it is some type of a conscious entity, then is it good or bad? One of the main themes of GoT is "Fire and Ice" and the Lord of Light could represent Fire in a way, but this is the same "god" who also wanted a child sacrificed, so it can't be all good or noble.

Didn't Tyrion or Varys try to tell Dany about the shit going down at the Wall but she brushed it off last season?
Not to my knowledge. Know one cares. Not even tyrion believes in it. But when the wall sent a raven to kings landing stating they need more men becuase of white walkers, everyone luaghed it off, trump said he doesn't now be in it but Joer mormont doesn't lie

Gnome

The High Sparrow shenanigans distracted/occupied them, and then they lost all of their allies when Cersei decided to blow everything up. I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Lannister supply of soldiers is endless, lol.

We'll see what they do, but at a minimum they would put a skeleton crew there as a watch point to keep an eye out for invasions.

Dragonstone is also an island, so it isn't like normal folk could just get to it. Though, you would think pirates or such would stay there.

Or Victarion. Because, well, he got to King's Landing (and thus Dragonstone) before Danaerys got to Dragonstone, if he supposedly arrived after them then he would have ran directly into them or sailed next to/by them.

It's a pretty strong strategic position. It's kind of silly that the Lannister's would simply overlook holding it this whole time.

The Lannisters had a slight problem with Sparrows last season; and Tywin was the brains of that operation anyway. Had Tywin been alive, they most certainly would have taken Dragonstone.

King Tommen wasn't really interested in...well, anything but making the High Sparrow happy.

FiggyCal

Banned
Didn't Tyrion or Varys try to tell Dany about the shit going down at the Wall but she brushed it off last season?

I don't remember. I think Tyrion might've said something about it a long time ago when he was Hand to Joffrey. If someone here knows knows, it would be great.

Sephzilla

The red wedding episode was one for the ages and they threw away it's conclusion in a 5 min segment to kick things off. Not particularly good television for these eyes. That entire subplot should have been stretched out throughout the episode rather than have her shoot the shit with Ed Sheeran and the gang.
Considering how shocking and sudden the Red Wedding was, Arya wiping them out in a cold open is pretty fitting. Plus don't expect big conclusions to plots. This is the same series where Joffrey dies before facing any punishment for the shit he did

Ramirez

Shooting the shit with those soldiers was such an important scene for her though. I don't want Arya to just become some senseless murdering machine. It's important that she realizes not every person is worth killing because they're on the opposing side.

RoKKeR

When the season only has 6 or 7 episodes or whatever it is, that was maybe a little TOO much exposition...

But still, happy it is back.

What if Arya
kills Cersei while she's disguised as Jaime?!?!

I doubt it,
regular Jamie killing Cersei will be much more poetic and appropriate.

Furthermore: there's only so many "haha surprise, I'm actually Arya under this other face, now you die!" scenes that can happen before it gets contrived and silly.

I doubt it,

Furthermore: there's only so many "haha surprise, I'm actually Arya under this other face, now you die!" scenes that can happen before it gets contrived and silly.
Does it ever get contrived and silly stealing clothes and killing people in Hitman?

I think not lol

Also I highly doubt Arya becomes successful in killing Cersei. In order to come near the Queen, she has to assume the form of Jaime or Mountain, which means she has to kill them first. Which by the way I did not completely get. How does she assume the form, including the voice of people she kills? Is the Faceless God real? But if she is unsuccessful then that would mean...Arya will have to die.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I doubt it,

Eventually Game of Thrones will turn into Mission Impossible if it keeps up

Gnome

Also I highly doubt Arya becomes successful in killing Cersei. In order to come near the Queen, she has to assume the form of Jaime or Mountain, which means she has to kill them first. Which by the way I did not completely get. How does she assume the form, including the voice of people she kills? Is the Faceless God real? But if she is unsuccessful then that would mean...Arya will have to die.

Well they showed her impersonating Frey, who is old. Which means she could also use Qyburn.

Ridli

I really don't think we're gonna get a detailed explanation for this. Arya went and trained with the Faceless Men. She learned their important tricks. Apparently once you know enough, you're good to go.

Oddduck

That entire subplot should have been stretched out throughout the episode rather than have her shoot the shit with Ed Sheeran and the gang.

For what it's worth, I feel like that scene did offer some character development for Arya. It was the first time where she saw soldiers as human beings.

Keep in mind that she killed 50+ soldiers in the very first scene of this episode.

Well they showed her impersonating Frey, who is old. Which means she could also use Qyburn.
Oh yeah forgot about Qyburn. But again, remember how he killed Pycell? Qyburn is a ruthless spymaster. He has everyone on the streets working for him, his little birdies. He'd know if Arya was looking for him.

FiggyCal

Banned
For what it's worth, I feel like that scene did offer some character development for Arya. It was the first time where she saw soldiers as human beings.

Keep in mind that she killed 50+ soldiers in the very first scene of this episode.

Plus she was going to kill them as well until they offered her food and she felt sympathy for the lives they had back home.
Oh yeah forgot about Qyburn. But again, remember how he killed Pycell? Qyburn is a ruthless spymaster. He has everyone on the streets working for him, his little birdies. He'd know if Arya was looking for him.

They all live in that castle. It's not that hard to find him.

When the season only has 6 or 7 episodes or whatever it is, that was maybe a little TOO much exposition...

But still, happy it is back.
It was like a prologue of a book. Most GOT season openers are this way. Every single player was present. We know the goal of every character on the show after one episode. Didnt waste a second of time.

Gnome

That also doubles as his weakness as a target, as those little birds also works as a way for Arya to find out about and get close to Qyburn, who she presumably knows nothing about.

It was like a prologue of a book. Most GOT season openers are this way. Every single player was present. We know the goal of every character on the show after one episode. Didnt waste a second of time.
Not everyone. Hot Pie was missing.
That also doubles as his weakness as a target, as those little birds also works as a way for Arya to find out about and get close to Qyburn, who she presumably knows nothing about.
Good point. That's definitely a way in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom