• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine the backlash if Jon Snow gets killed by a random arrow in the next battle before he even gets to do anything else? That'd be lame. I'm all for keeping battles real and letting main characters die, but having them die realistically as just another soldier is kinda lame and seems mostly for shock value, if you ask me.

Yep, I loved Ygritte but this was retribution.

Funny how I see more hate for Olly than Alliser Thorne, who undoubtedly orchestrated Jon's murder. He used Olly's hatred.

Circlejerks, eh..
That's probably because we were meant to feel for Ollie prior. And he betrayed john. Thorne was a dick to John from episode 1.

Can you imagine the backlash if Jon Snow gets killed by a random arrow in the next battle before he even gets to do anything else? That'd be lame. I'm all for keeping battles real and letting main characters die, but having them die realistically as just another soldier is kinda lame and seems mostly for shock value, if you ask me.

Also, we're watching the stories of the leaders, and they tend to not be on the frontlines of the battle. Yes, Jon has been a couple times, but usually these guys are going to be like Tywin, commanding an army from a tent and/or a horse at the rear of the formation. Generals don't usually die from the same shit as infantry because they aren't there.

That's implying he's dead.

Everyone knows he's out there rowing with Gendry.

if anything Jamie killing Cersei is even more predictable

Mark my words:
Dany will attack Cersei, beat her army with the dragons, the Unsullied and Dothraki. Tyrion will be send to Cersei to negotiate peace. Cersei is enraged, plans to blow up the whole city with wildfire and demands Jamie to kill Tyrion.

Jamie doesn't do it, because Tyrion is family and he doesn't want innocent people getting killed, thus he murders Cersei. History repeats itself.

They all do a tag team to beat the nightwalkers then.

The end.

I'm thinking how the battle between Jon & Dany vs WW will be set up.. I get a feeling the wall and winterfell will get overrun first before that official big battle vs Night king. It won't surprise me at all if The wall and probably Winterfell too will be a desolate icy WW playpen before this season ends.

I fully expect Cersei to kill Jamie, or have him executed. The other way around is just too predictable and too "history repeats itself"; this way fits Cersei's development much more and works triply as:
- Jamie finally not taking any more shit from Cersei and doing the right thing
- Cersei fully cementing her detached "only thing that matters is me and power" position
- A shocking death that also works on a narrative and thematic level

I fully expect Cersei to kill Jamie, or have him executed. The other way around is just too predictable and too "history repeats itself"; this way fits Cersei's development much more and works triply as:
- Cersei fully cementing her detached "only thing that matters is me and power" position

Oh, this would be even better.

FiggyCal

Banned

I agree 100%

For me it's not about people getting killed by random arrows, its about characters being written to put themselves in extreme situations where they are saved at the last second. I wouldn't have cared if Bronn had a wall of shields protecting him on the scorpion or if Jaime had decided to run away, but instead they put them in the absolute extreme circumstance where the only plausible reason they live is because of the plot. It's like if someone shot Illin Payne just before he was about to cut Ned's head off. Personally I feel It's unnecessary for a good writer to use such cheap tricks to create fake tension.

I'm thinking how the battle between Jon & Dany vs WW will be set up.. I get a feeling the wall and winterfell will get overrun first before that official big battle vs Night king. It won't surprise me at all if The wall and probably Winterfell too will be a desolate icy WW playpen before this season ends.

Hmm, I doubt they'd snuff out the Stark siblings like that after all their building up to this point (Robb was a long time ago, folks). My guess is they hold the fort while Jon returns with reinforcements of the flying and angry type.

For me it's not about people getting killed by random arrows, its about characters being written to put themselves in extreme situations where they are saved at the last second. I wouldn't have cared if Bronn had a wall of shields protecting him on the scorpion or if Jaime had decided to run away, but instead they put them in the absolute extreme circumstance where the only plausible reason they live is because of the plot. It's like if someone shot Illin Payne just before he was about to cut Ned's head off. Personally I feel It's unnecessary for a good writer to use such cheap tricks to create fake tension.

Gotcha. That's fair enough. I still think Jaime charging at the end and sinking to the bottom felt pretty good thematically, especially with the way he's been for awhile now. He's pretty much helpless, compelled to do what he feels is still the right thing to do, and worn down to the point where he's looking for an excuse to stop struggling.

I could see Cersei killing Jamie because he wants to go fight the ww's, and she orders him to stay because she plans to use the opportunity to get an advantage over Dany.

So I wonder if Cersei's going to use all the gold and clout with the Iron Bank to assemble a massive army from outside of Westeros with the intent of finishing off what's left of Dany's forces and ww's after they've had at it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
A small part of me wants all the remaining parties to realize the great threat and unite at the last second. With the highest hope for humanity's survival, I then want the white walkers to just steamroll through everyone and anything. Paint the entire landscape red with the blood of the living on that tranquil snowy background. The end.

Now that, would be an ending.

Eidan

It would be interesting if, in the end, Cersei was right, and the prophecy was about Tyrion.

Sadist

Yoooo what an episode

- Arya returning home was sweet. Her, Sansa and Bran having a moment is cool.

- Btw, Arya vs. Brienne was awesome. Arya will fuck up some shit in the last few episodes.

- Little Finger be scheming. But what... oh his death will be great.

- There is no concept of marriage, so there is no such thing as a bastard. "Well isn't that liberating!"

- "Hey Daenny look, out ancestors really put aside their differences and we should fight the Whi- NO BEND THE KNEE" uuuugh shut up. Listen to Jon.

- Hey Jon should I go to the Red Keep and burn that shit to the ground? "No, because using those dragons just to that you're no different than the others." You tell her Jon. Good man.

- Jon and Reek meeting each other was awkward. Still, would have preferred if Jon smacked him in the face.

- Oh if I can't burn the Red Keep, I'll just burn something else. Finally, she does something. Pretty cool though. Pretty cool.

- Jaime will totally turn on Cersei. Pleaaaaaaassssse. I would pay top coin to see Tyrion and Jaime survive while Cersei is aaaaallllll alone. This will break her and give us one amazing moment of her going berserk. Like blowing up the Red Keep with Wild Fire or something like it.

mnannola

A small part of me wants all the remaining parties to realize the great threat and unite at the last second. With the highest hope for humanity's survival, I then want the white walkers to just steamroll through everyone and anything. Paint the entire landscape red with the blood of the living on that tranquil snowy background. The end.

Now that, would be an ending.

There is right around a zero percent chance that Cersei is willing to team up with anyone unless it somehow gets her more power and everyone else less.

Considering the way this show has been going, I can't see it ending on a happy traditional ending or even an expected ending of "X sitting on the Iron Throne". I kind of expect the entire concept of the Seven Kingdoms and Houses to be wiped out, the Iron Throne and King's Landing to be ruined, and the future of Westeros won't be the Iron Throne and traditional leaders but individual kingdoms and rulers they believe in (i.e. the North, Dany's people) rebuilding from the remains of the ruined country with the Sam and the maesters being the lynchpin that helps civilization continue due to the history of cultures and knowledge that they collect

jm89

Dickon seriously? You name your child that for a life long punishment.

I hope jaime doesn't kill cersei it just wouldn't be satisfying, it needs to be a stark.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
There is right around a zero percent chance that Cersei is willing to team up with anyone unless it somehow gets her more power and everyone else less.
She can die beforehand, makes no difference lol. As long as I get my Red on White ending. No living survivors, slate must be wiped clean.

hobozero

Yoooo what an episode

- Arya returning home was sweet. Her, Sansa and Bran having a moment is cool.

- Btw, Arya vs. Brienne was awesome. Arya will fuck up some shit in the last few episodes.

- Little Finger be scheming. But what... oh his death will be great.

- There is no concept of marriage, so there is no such thing as a bastard. "Well isn't that liberating!"

- "Hey Daenny look, out ancestors really put aside their differences and we should fight the Whi- NO BEND THE KNEE" uuuugh shut up. Listen to Jon.

- Hey Jon should I go to the Red Keep and burn that shit to the ground? "No, because using those dragons just to that you're no different than the others." You tell her Jon. Good man.

- Jon and Reek meeting each other was awkward. Still, would have preferred if Jon smacked him in the face.

- Oh if I can't burn the Red Keep, I'll just burn something else. Finally, she does something. Pretty cool though. Pretty cool.

- Jaime will totally turn on Cersei. Pleaaaaaaassssse. I would pay top coin to see Tyrion and Jaime survive while Cersei is aaaaallllll alone. This will break her and give us one amazing moment of her going berserk. Like blowing up the Red Keep with Wild Fire or something like it.

You missed one:
"How many men does the north have? Ten thousand? Less?"
"Fewer."

Man I loved that callback :)

Cersei isn't going anywhere until the Mountain is dead... again.

Does that mean we have to trade a dragon for a mountain?

o_O

---I don't think we'll ever actually get a Cleganebowl.

Melon Husk

That was one deep puddle.

Jon's plot armor is hand waved away but Bronn... Bronn's got plot armor to share for no apparent reason.

Haven't seen high fantasy battles done so well in a long, long time. Unfortunately
the dialogue has turned into the kind you'd find in a generic RPG.

When it's all said and done, only King Gendry and his right hand Podrick will remain.

What do we think is going to happen with Jaime and Bronn anyway? I mean, let's say they survived their trust fall into the improbably-deep banks of the river... they did that like 15 feet away from Daenerys. She locked eyes with Jaime. She watched them dive into the water. She's not just going to say "well, the brother of my sworn enemy is probably dead, no need to glance 15 feet in this direction and just double-check..." So, prisoners? Or does the improbably-deep river have a secret portal that will spit them back into King's Landing? It seems incredibly unlikely they'd escape.

Sephzilla

Yeah I don't think Hound vs Mountain is happening, honestly. The Hound is on his way to The Wall right now and that means the only way they cross paths is if Cersei leaves the Red Keep and goes North.

pringles

Sad to see how cold and emotionless Bran has become. Guess it's understandable, but the old 3-eyed-raven didn't seem like he had lost every shred of humanity so it would have been nice if Bran could at least pretend to care about people.

Insane episode though!

Other than the obvious good stuff, I loved seeing Littlefinger's "oh shit" reactions to Bran and Arya. God I want to see that smug fuck get wiped out.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So which dragon is going to die?

A more interesting question is: who will fly on the other two dragons? Daenerys has three dragons but can control only one at the same time.

Sadist

Considering the way this show has been going, I can't see it ending on a happy traditional ending or even an expected ending of "X sitting on the Iron Throne". I kind of expect the entire concept of the Seven Kingdoms and Houses to be wiped out, the Iron Throne and King's Landing to be ruined, and the future of Westeros won't be the Iron Throne and traditional leaders but individual kingdoms and rulers they believe in (i.e. the North, Dany's people) rebuilding from the remains of the ruined country with the Sam and the maesters being the lynchpin that helps civilization continue due to the history of cultures and knowledge that they collect
Ha, I was about to post the same thing. Honestly, I think the concept of the Iron Throne will die with Cersei. I'm fully expecting her, driven into a corner and after all the things she has done (and went through) she will exclaim "If I can't have the Iron Throne, no one can!" and she destroys herself along with the throne. With King's Landing in ashes and a throne reduced to rubbish, we see the surviving armies come together and prepare for the enemy, who just conquered the wall. End season.

Actually, who expects Cersei to survive this season? We've had a Lannister death like for the last few seasons. Would be a terrible thing to break tradition :)

His switching loyalties-line was even more hilarious. :D
Yeah, that was great too. Davos remains as one of my favourite characters in the series.

That is brilliant but I really really really don't want it to happen.

And then the night king revives him and uses him to strangle Cersei.

Hydrus

What do we think is going to happen with Jaime and Bronn anyway? I mean, let's say they survived their trust fall into the improbably-deep banks of the river... they did that like 15 feet away from Daenerys. She locked eyes with Jaime. She watched them dive into the water. She's not just going to say "well, the brother of my sworn enemy is probably dead, no need to glance 15 feet in this direction and just double-check..." So, prisoners? Or does the improbably-deep river have a secret portal that will spit them back into King's Landing? It seems incredibly unlikely they'd escape.

Ehh to be fair, Drogon blew a massive flame that easily could of blocked her view. I imagine next episode she immediately flies off on him, then Bronn and Jaime pop out of the water.

kAmui-

Dickon seriously? You name your child that for a life long punishment.

I hope jaime doesn't kill cersei it just wouldn't be satisfying, it needs to be a stark.

A Stark killing Cersei would be really satisfying, but knowing Jaime's and Cersei's relationship, him killing her would be a strong scene.

Ehh to be fair, Drogon blew a massive flame that easily could of blocked her view. I imagine next episode she immediately flies off on him, then Bronn and Jaime pop out of the water.

That would be so disappointing if they pop out of the water and just get away. The place has to be swarming with dothraki soldiers to capture them.

aBarreras

Sad to see how cold and emotionless Bran has become. Guess it's understandable, but the old 3-eyed-raven didn't seem like he had lost every shred of humanity so it would have been nice if Bran could at least pretend to care about people.

Insane episode though!

Other than the obvious good stuff, I loved seeing Littlefinger's "oh shit" reactions to Bran and Arya. God I want to see that smug fuck get wiped out.

i think that was max von sydow fault, he is just really expressive i guess?

Imagining the "who kills whom" scenario of that potential Lannister sibling trio reunion is pretty damn fun.

I'm guessing Cersei takes preemptive action against Tyrion, fearing the prophecy, and kills him. This act finally pushes Jaime over the edge and he kills Cersei, thus actually fulfilling the prophecy of her being killed by her little brother. Probably the most cliche outcome, but sounds pretty probable.

Darkhorse bad-end idea would be Jaime killing Tyrion and doubling down with evil team Cersei.

Yeah I don't think Hound vs Mountain is happening, honestly. The Hound is on his way to The Wall right now and that means the only way they cross paths is if Cersei leaves the Red Keep and goes North.
After she and her guards have to evacuate because Dany burns King's Landing to the ground?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Oh just fuck off and die already, Jamie

It's time for the new queen to shine

Melon Husk

i think that was max von sydow fault, he is just really expressive i guess?

It would be more interesting to watch if the actor would act all zoned-out and glass-eyed, because now the third eye has lobotomized him. He's not reacting so might as well have his co-actors act to a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom