• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a plot shield, that's just plot. It made sense for Jon to die, therefore fulfilling his his oath at the Night's Watch and being able to move on to doing other stuff since he couldn't trust his brothers anymore. Plot shield is the gif in the comment above.

It made sense for Jon to die. The resurrection? That's plot shield. That's "hey, now that we're 5 years in, maybe let's not kill off one of the actual lead characters, yeah?" It's a good cliffhanger, for sure, but all it did was reinforce the idea that some characters are invincible. If Daenerys dies in the next episode, everybody is going to assume she'll be resurrected, because the show has now explicitly made that an option for main characters.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
Great episode. But not better than Hardhome. Maybe behind Battle of Bastards as well. I loved the shot where Jon stands on the left Danaerys on the right and between them drawn on the wall the Night King with his Generals. Very foretelling.

What I wonder is if there is any meaning behind the fact that everytime we saw the Night King so far - Hardhome and when they attacked the cave - and now on the wall there is always three guys with him. . .

Vire

I was just thinking the whole time, Jon Snow painted this shit on the wall before he brought down Dany and said "see I told you!!!".

I don't know if people wanted Bronn to die because of the circumstances or because they demand a sacrifice.

I'm totally fine with Bronn living, him dead or alive serves me either way so I'm pretty cool with whatever decision they take even if I like the character.

DC1

I mean, judging by the preview, they fish out Jamie, Bronn, and round up the lannisters and ask them to bend the knee or die.

I assume most of the troops will bend. Bronn will likely bend.

Jamie... will be interesting.
I might as well watch the previews now.

Note to OP/all future posts:
Can we please exclude (strongly encourage) any reference to previews shared at the end of episodes?

Simplet

Jon had hundreds of arrows fall everywhere but on him during the Battle of the Bastards lol.

untitled-263.gif

This was funnier than Jaime and Bronn not getting hurt. I turns around, kneels, and the arrows just fall around him in a circle. I figured that it was the Lord of Light providing divine cover. Maybe the Seven are doing the same for Jamie and Bronn :)

That's not so unbelievable, nothing like dodging a dragon spitting fire directly at you. First you can see that some of those arrows were already there, second you can see people in the background continuing to fight as if nothing had happened. It's just dumb luck, obviously not everyone can be wiped out by a volley of arrows, otherwise you would never have a battle.

edit: now that I look at it again, it's possible also that he was protected by the soldier that falls dead just behind hi, but then again maybe not since the arrows have a pretty vertical trajectory.

Doomsayer

I might as well watch the previews now.

Note to OP/all future posts:
Can we please exclude (strongly encourage) any reference to previews shared at the end of episodes?

Pretty sure all preview talk is supposed to be spoilered, since it hasn't officially aired yet.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I was just thinking the whole time, Jon Snow painted this shit on the wall before he brought down Dany and said "see I told you!!!".
Most of us thought this. Wish they would do a zoom in on his white paint tainted finger tips at the end of that shot with eerie music in the background.

Watching Jamie survive was very... un Game of Thrones like.

Where anyone can die at any time... watching Jamie and Bronn escape the slaughter and one sided ass whooping.

Was very movie cliche where the people that need to survive do it through unrealistic ways.

My favorite part about that; Jaime is on a horse, galloping alongside a river, right? And then the dragon swivels and Jaime gets the "oh shit" look on his face. Bronn comes out of nowhere and dives into Jaime, knocking them both into the river. Now I can accept that they got out of the way of the dragon flame, even though they went, tops, 10 feet to the side. But then they show Jaime sinking into the depths, and that's where you lose me. Apparently this river, less than 10 feet from the bank, is 20 or 30 feet deep. Rivers don't tend to do that. Maybe rivers in Westeros all have cliff walls or something.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That's not so unbelievable, nothing like dodging a dragon spitting fire directly at you. First you can see that some of those arrows where already there, second you can see people in the background continuing to fight as if nothing had happened. It's just dumb luck, obviously not everyone can be wiped out by a volley of arrows, otherwise you would never have a battle.

edit: now that I look at it again, it's possible also that he was protected by the soldier that falls dead just behind him.

Look closely to his extended left foot. At least two arrows fall around it at the end of the gif. How likely is that?

aBarreras

Most of us thought this. Wish they would do a zoom in on his white paint tainted finger tips at the end of that shot with eerie music in the background.

why tho? since what he is saying is true, children of the forest and the first men fought together against the white walkers.

RDreamer

That's not so unbelievable, nothing like dodging a dragon spitting fire directly at you. First you can see that some of those arrows were already there, second you can see people in the background continuing to fight as if nothing had happened. It's just dumb luck, obviously not everyone can be wiped out by a volley of arrows, otherwise you would never have a battle.

edit: now that I look at it again, it's possible also that he was protected by the soldier that falls dead just behind hi, but then again maybe not since the arrows have a pretty vertical trajectory.

Just looked at the frames and there only actually about 3 arrows that land anywhere near him in that gif. The rest were already there. It's so quickly though that your eye perceives most of those arrows as having fallen with the others. It's lucky, but A) he's clearly got the lord of light doing some shit for him and B) not quite as lucky as Bronn somehow not getting burnt to a crisp.

Tried to tell ya'll when you were complaining about Arya's time in Bravos.
fpa9XHH.gif
The actress's badass performance here doesn't undo her lesser interesting arc in Braavos, though. The fruition was of course great, but the execution at least to me didn't have the same caliber as some other character arcs.

FiggyCal

Banned
It made sense for Jon to die. The resurrection? That's plot shield. That's "hey, now that we're 5 years in, maybe let's not kill off one of the actual lead characters, yeah?" It's a good cliffhanger, for sure, but all it did was reinforce the idea that some characters are invincible. If Daenerys dies in the next episode, everybody is going to assume she'll be resurrected, because the show has now explicitly made that an option for main characters.

The death works either way really - I think they set it up reasonably well that his Night's Watch Brothers started to resent his leadership. But the resurrection is what allows the plot to move along in interesting directions as well as complete some old, opened ones. It's a clever way for the writers to be able to make Jon King in the North, take back winterfell, fight the Night King, meet Daenerys and so on without technically being a deserter. I don't think its safe to assume that Jon was never in real danger or that he can't die in the future, since he still needs a red priest to revive him and even then it's not clear towards what end he is being revived. There's a lot to say on the topic, but I think this is one of the things season 6 got really right.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lol, was going to say.

Plus Jon wouldn't have been able to paint those COTF spiral symbols.

It's all a joke though so it's all good.
I know the Jon stuff is jokes but I also keep seeing people just talking about them without joking but they call them paintings.

Thought it was interesting how deep they carved those symbols into the wall.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's pretty lucky, don't get me wrong, just not so lucky as to be completely unbelievable.

But in combination with 10 straight minutes of people all around him getting hit and not him, it starts becoming either ridiculous or the work of divine intervention. There's a scene where he grabs a dude's shoulder to talk to him, only for buddy to get an arrow to the back of the head.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Didn't Bran already mention that he wanted to talk to Jon moments after arriving at Winterfell? I think he wants to spill the beans to Jon

One of the first things he said was that he needed to talk to Jon. im taking it that Bran is going to tell him. How does Bran show him though? Does Bran just tell him in conversation or does he prove it with magic somehow? And even then why would anyone else believe it? Maybe Jon being reborn he cant be burnt now? So Jon isnt consumed by fire and that proves it? Or does Bran play a more active role and show them the vision? Like how would anyone believe that Jon is secretly a Targaryen? Or maybe its only necessary what Jon and Dany believe? If they saved everyone from an undead horde on a genocide run, let them marry, fuck it?

I know the Jon stuff is jokes but I also keep seeing people just talking about them without joking but they call them paintings.

Thought it was interesting how deep they carved those symbols into the wall.

Yeah, it was interesting seeing these patterns the COTF carved.

file47675303_12.jpg

main-qimg-18bf25382e5f10b36352b08062ba1de4-c

The White Walkers remember their creators well.

Sephzilla

I'd love it if the wall paintings actually were made by Jon and Davos.

That would be some Star Trek DS9 "ITS A FAKE!" level shit

Simplet

Now that I think of it, nobody ever dies in battle in this show. The sandsnakes, but they were useless, and then who? The blackfish? Even he had the option to flee and just chose to get killed by a rando offscreen.

Barristan I guess; ambushed by a couple of peasants with knifes. Some people die after being captured during battles, but that's pretty much it. The Umber and Karstark lords I guess.

aBarreras

Now that I think of it, nobody ever dies in battle in this show. The sandsnakes, but they were useless, and then who? The blackfish? Even he had the option to flee and just chose to get killed by a rando offscreen.

Barristan I guess; ambushed by a couple of peasants with knifes. Some people die after being captured during battles, but that's pretty much it. The Umber and Karstark lords I guess.

wun wun :(

Barristan I guess; ambushed by a couple of peasants with knifes.Some people die after being captured during battles, but that's pretty much it. The Umber and Karstark lords I guess.

Biggest crime this show has ever committed. My boy Selmy would never die like that.

Sephzilla

Oberyn_Martell-Pedro_Pascal.jpg

Does this count as a battle?

Extra drama for no reason and boredom, mainly.
It's not extra drama, the reason for the scene is that Jon saw something awe inspiring in the cave, and wanted to show the queen who was born and lives there.

Lastly... Jon x Dany scenes can never be boring. They are the peak of the show in my opinion and what I look forward to the most, the more the better

Ros8105

anigif_original-7792-1462788085-1.gif

ascii42

Stannis

FiggyCal

Banned
That's not really a battle, more like a duel ;p

I just think it's strange that the whole continent has been at war since pretty much season 2 and no important character ever seems to die during the battles.

Well if you discard the sandsnakes.... that's already two characters.

Jon's buddies from the Night's Watch also die fighting the giant at Castle Black.

Edit: Technically Stannis?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's not extra drama, the reason for the scene is that Jon saw something awe inspiring in the cave, and wanted to show the queen who was born and lives there.

Lastly... Jon x Dany scenes can never be boring. They are the peak of the show in my opinion and what I look forward to the most, the more the better
Completely misinterpreted my post. I was saying I wanted that extra drama out of my own boredom. Not that the scene had extra drama or that them two are boring. They are also two of my favorite characters of this entire show.

While they were supporting characters, alot of prominent night's watch guys died at the battle at castle black. Like Pip. :(

Lord Commander Mormont. And there was that knight that Joffrey used to try to kill Tyrion at Blackwater who got taken out by Podrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom