• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingeniero

Maybe it is the poison Mirri Maz Duur used to kill Khal Drogo.
Drogo and Drogon killed in the same way, like poetry.
Amazing writing.
RIP Drogon.

Atomic Odin

Nobody has seen the dragons for years. How would anyone (even Qyburn) take a decent enough guess that a Dragon can be poisoned. Does anyone even knows or studied dragon biology in the show? I can't seem to remember.

Timbuktu

The cool thing about Bran now is that every conversation he's involved in is gonna be tense with him potentially busting out obscure references or dropping knowledge bombs.

It could be quite funny if they don't do it right... Bran just bursting out with random facts about people. I feel that Bran's knowledge is still partial though, he didn't complete the training and is still learning.

About the dragon being poisoned, I think that's complete conjecture at this point.

Croc

Banned
The cool thing about Bran now is that every conversation he's involved in is gonna be tense with him potentially busting out obscure references or dropping knowledge bombs.

I feel like each time he's done that so far was for the explicit purpose of getting someone close to him (Arya, Sansa) to believe that he's not bullshitting about being able to see everything, so I'm expecting (hoping) that they tone that down a bit here after this episode. Hopefully he'll just move on to having actual conversations about these things instead lol.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The Tyrells are history, house was wiped out mostly in the destruction of the sept last season, with the old lady and the rest of the loyal forces now gone as well.

As for the siege, Dany has no forces to siege with at this point. Dorne and Highgarden are out of play now, and the dothaki are not equip for it.

Which makes it all the more hilarious when Tyrion tells her to commit to the blockade of KL. How Tyrion? With what army and what navy?

Addi

I've just realised that Bran knows everything, EVERYTHING!

Fuck, how is he going to play this out?

The interesting thing is that if he isn't Bran anymore, he won't be vengeful. He won't share every piece of information to his sisters if it's not anything that would help his purpose. For example, he could very well need Littlefinger to do something later on and therefore not tell that he betrayed Ned.

Regarding poisoning, I though the name Scorpion could hint to that, but I didn't know that Scorpion was the actual name of that type of weapon

Heshinsi

Dany still has the largest army, which is why Cersei mentioning The Golden Company is significant in this episode as they would even the scales.
Yes, but you just witnessed what the Dothraki are all about. Do they look like they're in any way capable of sieging walled cities?

Yes, but you just witnessed what the Dothraki are all about. Do they look like they're in any way capable of sieging walled cities?

No one said anything about sieging. They want to blockade the city, preventing supplies from going in and out, and for that, they simply need a large enough army (and a dragon to compensate for their navy).

Heshinsi

No one said anything about sieging. They want to blockade the city, preventing supplies from going in and out, and for that, they simply need a large enough army (and a dragon to compensate for their navy).
How do you do that with horsemen who don't even seem to have a general (besides Dany)? You need a trained standing army. Hence the armies of Dorne and the Reach.

What is the reasonable endgame for this if Dany wins? What do you do with a raider army of a conflicting culture when there is no where left to raid. Seems like a complete shitstorm in the future.

You give them lands and make some of them lords. Our own history is full of examples of similar things happening.

I would like to see historical examples of cities sieged entirely by not only cavalry, but by nomadic horsemen. No foot soldiers, no artillery, no siege equipment. Just horses.

Possibly. You just let them loose. If you have dragons burning the city entrance, it leaves it undefended. The Dothraki have now seen first hand what dragons can do, and their Khaleesi leading them to victory. They are all about strength. They will do anything she says - even carrying boats to shore (which I found hillarious)

You give them lands and make some of them lords. Our own history is full of examples of similar things happening.
And our own history is full of more conflicts and wars because of that very reason. So what you are saying is that war and conflict is inevitable in future between two clashing cultures.

jett

D-Member
How do you do that with horsemen who don't even seem to have a general (besides Dany)? You need a trained standing army. Hence the armies of Dorne and the Reach.

I would like to see historical examples of cities sieged entirely by not only cavalry, but by nomadic horsemen. No foot soldiers, no artillery, no siege equipment. Just horses.

But does that make sense for the Dothraki? Their entire way of life revolves around warring, raiding and raping. Not sitting on some chair in some castle. They're nomadic.

Dany is the general, and they would do w/e the hell she wants them to do. Holding a line and preventing units from going in and out isn't exactly a difficult maneuver.

And, they did not need Dorne and the Tyrells for this purpose. They wanted them simply to avoid the bad optics of having foreign invaders, the Dothraki, being the ones to take the city.

Did Tyrion really not know that the gold mines had run dry? If he knew, he should've anticipated the abandoning of Casterly Rock.

I don't think it was so much about the gold mines, if at all, as it was thinning out a large number of the Lannister army which should have been stationed there had they not gone out to take Highgarden.

Heshinsi

And our own history is full of more conflicts and wars because of that very reason. So what you are saying is that war and conflict is inevitable in future between two clashing cultures.

Yet Dorne stands as an example in the show's world where east and west combined.

But aren't they nomadic people? They would probably want to roam most of Westeros. They don't want the same things as Bronn.

These guys crossed the oceans for the first time in their history for Dany. They'll settle down and become less nomadic if she tells them to. When I brought up that the Dothraki might not want to fight for whatever cause Jon is trying to convince Dany to send her armies up north for, I was told that the Dothraki would do whatever Dany tells them to do (because they see her as some sort of goddess). Well she'll tell them to settle down.

The Mongols were nomadic as well, and then they started ruling and living in cities.

LakeEarth

I don't think it was so much about the gold mines, if at all, as it was thinning out a large number of the Lannister army which should have been stationed there had they not gone out to take Highgarden.

Tyrion called it "the source of the Lannister's power", which I assumed to mean the gold. But maybe he was never told, I haven't rewatched the earlier seasons.

Addi

Watched the preview
What's the possibility of Dany flying Jon up North? She could witness the army of the dead.

Heshinsi

Watched the preview
What's the possibility of Dany flying Jon up North? She could witness the army of the dead.

"I can show you the wall
Shining, shimmering splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide!

I can open your eyes
Take you to see the White Walkers
Over sideways and under
On a magic dragon ride"

Sephzilla

cjTkIqA.gif

Croc

Banned
Yes, he expresses surprise that she came to Winterfell cause he thought she might go to King's Landing.

That seemed like he was just referring to the specific moment where she changed her mind, not that he didn't know she was coming. Like he was surprised when he saw her change course at the crossroads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom