• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

Quick and dirty:

cjTkIqA.gif

Oh god, underrated post. Made my morning. Thank you.

danthefan

If it can injure a dragon, then it can kill one. It's just a matter of getting off a good shot.

And you know The red keep/kings landing/ any allied keep is going to be building these in mass. If one skilled user with one is a threat, how do you attack a keep with dozens of the things?

Or ships with them for that matter?

This changes the calculus on dragon use. She needs to make sure she takes these things out, or figures out some sort of defense. Just flying around burning stuff is asking for trouble.

I thought Drogon was being set up to be killed tbh when he opened his mouth, thought the ballista bolt was going to hit him there. I guess a good shot would do it.

Armor for the dragons made out of Dragonsteel!

This is what I mean, they know about them now.

iFirez

Why is it 'cool' to hate on things now?

My boss and I just had a long conversation about this episode and were gushing about it, at the end he mentioned "Have you seen <freelancer who does work for us> facebook, he hated it?" and here we go:
iem3kKC.jpg

I guess it just shows how different we all are, I loved this episode but he seemingly hated it.

As a note we all work in the tv/film industry. I'm an animator and my boss is a director. The freelancer who's facebook that is; is a a Director of Photography.

How injured is Drogon though? He seemed to get back in control of his flight before crashing, is it just a flesh wound? You're going to need a good few shots to kill a dragon. Plus they've shown their hand, Dany et al know the ballistas exist now.

And? The Dragons still have to get in range of them to destroy them. The ballistas can hit the dragons long before they get to that point.

My boss and I just had a long conversation about this episode and were gushing about it, at the end he mentioned "Have you seen <freelancer who does work for us> facebook, he hated it?" and here we go:
iem3kKC.jpg

I guess it just shows how different we all are, I loved this episode but he seemingly hated it.

As a note we all work in the tv/film industry. I'm an animator and my boss is a director. The freelancer who's facebook that is; is a a Director of Photography.
The idea that Bronn and Jamie not dying is unrealistic is stupid in a show where there are MAGICAL DRAGONS! Not only that but Daenerys can walk through fire unharmed and people are resurrected at the whim of an unseen cosmic force.

Maybe there is an order to things and they're not supposed to die in that moment. Prophecies are an actual thing in GoT that extend to people outside of Daenerys and Jon.

The selective nitpicking in this show does my head in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really hope the finale of this season is an hour dedicated to showing why the Night King is hanging around for a few months/years/however time works in this universe doing nothing and waiting for Jon to get his army ready. lol

duckroll

I really hope the finale of this season is an hour dedicated to showing why the Night King is hanging around for a few months/years/however time works in this universe doing nothing and waiting for Jon to get his army ready. lol

Do you want him to explain it with hand signs and an interpreter, a series of powerpoint slides projected on a cave wall, or as a play performed by wights?

Magypsy

iem3kKC.jpg

He makes good points imo, I mean, Dany was destroying pretty much all the wagons but left the mysterious one standing in the middle of all the carnage? Leaving Jaime and Bronn alive like that was also kinda dumb but possible prophecies yada yada and I really like Jaime and especially Bronn.

But I've stopped taking this show very seriously, and as a result I thought this episode was Very Rad.

Knch

Dead people keep better when cold?

Timbuktu

The gold arrived to KL but if Dany gets them under a blockade those gold bars will be used up for a dozen eggs or something.

I doubt that. Dany doesn't really have a navy anymore, so I assume the Iron Bank has taken the gold. And they also mentioned the Golden Company already, so I guess they will come into play. Maybe Jorah would intercept them of something. Not sure if food and supplies will be a focus on the show, but there doesn't seem to be enough for any party for the winter.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I do agree that the fact Dany didn't kill anyone 'important' (Sorry Jaime's horse) kinda detracted a lot from the episode, I feel Bronn would have been the natural casualty.

Having said that I'm glad that they didn't manage to kill a dragon with 2 shots from 1 ballista, that would have been really stupid. If the night king kills one or if Cersei has a hundred of them shooting at the same target then fair enough but it will detract from the whole show if they let one die cheaply.

TheContact

I doubt that. Dany doesn't really have a navy anymore, so I assume the Iron Bank has taken the gold. And they also mentioned the Golden Company already, so I guess they will come into play. Maybe Jorah would intercept them of something. Not sure if food and supplies will be a focus on the show, but there doesn't seem to be enough for any party for the winter.

What is the Golden Company? I don't remember GoT mentioning this before unless I missed something

What is the Golden Company? I don't remember GoT mentioning this before unless I missed something

Mercenary group from Essos.

They have been mentioned briefly in the show, Davos suggested to Stannis they hire The Golden Company fight for him as they've never broken a contract, which he rejected as he wouldn't deal with sellswords.

deleted

I just realized what was that felt different, yeah it's GoT, I expected a dead Jaime when I saw him charging, guess we aren't doing this any more...

Well, he is a main character that survived for 7 seasons and just got VERY important news regarding the end of his son. To die this way without getting into any of it would just be the waste of an arc.

Gold made it to Kings Landing, what we say was, iirc, army supplies and a ton of food.

What the Lannisters lost was some hundreds of troops, supplies, and potentially a few lords killed or captured.

The only pros are they got the gold the bank wanted, and they know their anti-dragon weapon works.

It was the supplies that would have sustained the siege of Kings Landing indefinitely longer and also the supplies that would have gotten the Tyrell kingdom through winter if the Lannisters didn't steal them.
They made a point to let us know that they stole that food from commoners after they took highgarden.
It's pretty much one of the thing I didn't like this episode - Dany goes straight for the supplies, even if she stated before that she doesn't have enough herself. Why not capture them, give some back to the Tyrells and use them for good? This was just a waste of precious resources.

Oh and are the Tyrells still going to the siege of Kings landing? They were not teleboated
and apparently also not in Highgarden when the Lannisters attacked.

iem3kKC.jpg

I would love to hear more about his problems with blocking and that bad gimbal work. Especially since he's DoP, I would be ready to roll my eyes so hard. &#128512;

He makes good points imo, I mean, Dany was destroying pretty much all the wagons but left the mysterious one standing in the middle of all the carnage? Leaving Jaime and Bronn alive like that was also kinda dumb but possible prophecies yada yada and I really like Jaime and especially Bronn.

But I've stopped taking this show very seriously, and as a result I thought this episode was Very Rad.
One thing I noted was the pause/breath Drogon took while blasting the line of carts which ended up sparing some in between the destruction.

And maybe it just didn't get to it yet.

they really ought to equip the dragons with saddles. how the hell did dany hold on when drogon went into a nose dive. her grip strength must be otherworldly

An entire episode for his backstory? Fuck, I'd be in. Especially if they frame it as a vision of Bran.

I wonder if what we see is actually what Bran's seeing too. So when we see Littlefinger give his chaos speech that's what Bran sees, same for Arya at the crossroads, Sansa and Ramsay, etc.

zoukka

iem3kKC.jpg

His points are valid. But he cares about these details, while you don't, you both enjoy the series for completely different reasons.

GoT started as a bit more grounded fantasy series and is now in full Star Wars mode so it's understandable that it disappoints many people.

TrutaS

I couldn't quite piece out
Sansa's reaction after seeing Arya fight with Brienne ... she seemed unhappy?
Not sure where they are going with Sansa's storyline - I'm not too excited to see her turn to the dark side for some forced reason.

Also I have to say - Winter hasn't arrived yet completely so it's not cold enough for the Night King to march through. I don't get the need for backstory either - they are death, evil creatures whose instinct is to bring death to the rest of the world. Doesn't really need much more depth. For now at least.

Neece

Well, he's not really doing nothing. He's adding to his wight collection. While a great deal of wildlings were at hardhome, there are still wildlings and beasts beyond the wall to add to his dead army.

But maybe most important to the plot, the wall has a spell woven into the ice so he can't past it anyway. Unless it's revealed that the White Walkers are sailors, then they can't move past the wall until something can be done about the magic wall that blocks them from where they want to be.

iFirez

His points are valid. But he cares about these details, why you don't, you both enjoy the series for completely different reasons.

GoT started as a bit more grounded fantasy series and is now in full Star Wars mode so it's understandable that it disappoints many people.

Probably why I love it even more now. I'm also a book reader but can disconnect my self from the world of the books vs the world of the tv show and enjoy both for what they are separately.

I do agree that the fact Dany didn't kill anyone 'important' (Sorry Jaime's horse) kinda detracted a lot from the episode, I feel Bronn would have been the natural casualty.

Having said that I'm glad that they didn't manage to kill a dragon with 2 shots from 1 ballista, that would have been really stupid. If the night king kills one or if Cersei has a hundred of them shooting at the same target then fair enough but it will detract from the whole show if they let one die cheaply.

This is definitely something that annoyed me a little. I don't need or want Jamie and Bronn to die "just like that", but I also feel like that you don't simply get away with attacking a dragon or its queen like that. It was a stupid move and these things usually get punished pretty quickly. Same goes for Bronn surviving by jumping away, like in an action movie. It feels off, considering the tone of the show.

Timbuktu

Not sure where they are going with Sansa's storyline - I'm not too excited to see her turn to the dark side for some forced reason.

Sansa was so happy to see her siblings and seem to genuinely care (much more so than with Rickon, poor guy). She has been through a lot, so it probably disturbs her that her younger brother and sister have been through and changed even more than she has. Like Meera with Bran, it's upsetting to know that those kid you wanted to save and protect don't really exist anymore. She doesn't know how to interact with them, none of them have spoken frankly about their experiences yet.

The idea that Bronn and Jamie not dying is unrealistic is stupid in a show where there are MAGICAL DRAGONS! Not only that but Daenerys can walk through fire unharmed and people are resurrected at the whim of an unseen cosmic force.

Maybe there is an order to things and they're not supposed to die in that moment. Prophecies are an actual thing in GoT that extend to people outside of Daenerys and Jon.

The selective nitpicking in this show does my head in.
I don't agree with the post you quoted but its not exactly selective nitpicking. Jaime and Bron are human beings with no special powers or any gifts, they're supposedly as vulnerable to anything as us so if they genuinely are that close to a Dragon then they should be burnt like anyone else would. Its silly but its not unreasonable.

I just presume that Bron jumped further away than the scene implied.

You say that but I think Drogon should have been severely injured. Yeah, its only one but this would be illustrative of Dany's hubris purely for having the Dragons and serve as a reminder that this isn't the same Westeros that was conquered by Aegon I, technology has improved and the Dragon's can't just be flown around willy-nilly. It would also make for an 'oh shit' moment when she rocks up to KL and they've got 50 lined up along the walls.

Magypsy

One thing I noted was the pause/breath Drogon took while blasting the line of carts which ended up sparing some in between the destruction.

And maybe it just didn't get to it yet.

There was one cart that they skipped yeah.

It's all fun to me regardless, it was an exciting moment and more Bronn in any capacity is always good.

Jombie

iem3kKC.jpg

Stuff like that is part of the reason I don't care to talk about the show that much. It seems like there's no middle ground sometimes -- you have to either love the show and dare not criticize or nit pick it to death to the point of hate watching. I'm just as invested in the world as much as anyone, whether it's the books or the show, and don't understand the need for people to desperately hate the things they hate.

zoukka

This is definitely something that annoyed me a little. I don't need or want Jamie and Bronn to die "just like that", but I also feel like that you don't simply get away with attacking a dragon or its queen like that. It was a stupid move and these things usually get punished pretty quickly. Same goes for Bronn surviving by jumping away, like in an action movie. It feels off, considering the tone of the show.

Dragons aren't that bad, just jump when they breathe fire instead of trying to block the flames with a shield. Jaime and Bron are officers for a reason!

danthefan

Yeah I was the same. It was like something significant was happening between them all but I had no idea what.

Well, he is a main character that survived for 7 seasons and just got VERY important news regarding the end of his son. To die this way without getting into any of it would just be the waste of an arc.

It was the supplies that would have sustained the siege of Kings Landing indefinitely longer and also the supplies that would have gotten the Tyrell kingdom through winter if the Lannisters didn't steal them.
They made a point to let us know that they stole that food from commoners after they took highgarden.
It's pretty much one of the thing I didn't like this episode - Dany goes straight for the supplies, even if she stated before that she doesn't have enough herself. Why not capture them, give some back to the Tyrells and use them for good? This was just a waste of precious resources.

Oh and are the Tyrells still going to the siege of Kings landing? They were not teleboated
and apparently also not in Highgarden when the Lannisters attacked.

The Tyrells are history, house was wiped out mostly in the destruction of the sept last season, with the old lady and the rest of the loyal forces now gone as well.

As for the siege, Dany has no forces to siege with at this point. Dorne and Highgarden are out of play now, and the dothaki are not equip for it.

Sansa was so happy to see her siblings and seem to genuinely care (much more so than with Rickon, poor guy). She has been through a lot, so it probably disturbs her that her younger brother and sister have been through and changed even more than she has. Like Meera with Bran, it's upsetting to know that those kid you wanted to save and protect don't really exist anymore. She doesn't know how to interact with them, none of them have spoken frankly about their experiences yet.

Yeah, these are not the same siblings she last saw so long ago. Her sister is a cold blooded killer with an honest to gods "people to kill" list. Heck, she wiped out an entire noble house, not that sansa knows about that yet. Bran certainty does.

Bran is an emotionless, tactless vision having guy, who seems even more distant now then while he was thought to be dead.

number11

We are so lucky GOT is as big as it is. Can you imagine the battle with season 1's budget?

In the first season I used to get annoyed about how small the Dothraki looked. It was the largest army yet you never see the scale.

bratpack

maybe he's waiting for dany and her dragons to be In kings landing ?
then swipe in in the early morning when everyones sleeping and turn one of the dragons to an ice walker type Dragon ???
no?

bratpack

The battle was one of the most impressive i ever saw in TV, the music was great too.

imo it was better than any battle I'v seen in alot of movies I felt the emotion behind dany and the Dragon finally in battle and Jamie and bron thanks to 6 years of build up

Yeah things would have gone differently. Word would spread that if you wanted to desert the magic words were White Walker. What then? It wouldn't help people believe it more, it would just make justice a joke and undermine the legends further. Wanna break your vows? I saw a White Walker! Lmao.
or, people could have taken what he said more seriously early on. yeah he shouldn't have deserted, though. he should've went back to the wall

also I know Theon & Jon's reunion was really rocky, but I hope things get better between them.

Theon's actor is the best out of the younger set of actors

Atomic Odin

I just realized that if Dany manages to find him, poor Jaime is going to end up as a captor in his second successive proper battle.

also I know Theon & Jon's reunion was really rocky, but I hope things get better between them.

Can't see what is to be gained from devoting any more time to Theon & his arc. He's really a waste of everyone's time.

I hope they don't. Head back to season 2 for a recap of what Theon did to Jon's ancestral home. Then there's the botched execution of Ser Rodrick, murdering of Maester Luwin, and attempted butchering of Bran and Rickon. Nah, fuck Theon. Jon should have strangled him on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom