• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he made Jon Hand of the King. Jon gets all the responsibility, Bran wears the crown, and the North gets a King who can go back in time and fuck up the timeline.

What are the Three Eyed Raven's powers to interfere with the past? We've only seem him call out to his father after the Tower of Joy battle, haven't we?

I'm pretty sure Bran wouldn't accept it and would prefer Jon stay in charge. Plus Bran is smart enough to know not to stir that pot when they all need to be focusing on the White Walkers.

Wouldn't Bran have the authority to give Jon the "Stark" name?

In past seasons it was the king who did that, but now that it's cersei, I guess it falls on Jon?

I thought Old Man Bolton was the one who declared Ramsey to be a Bolton instead of a Snow?

If Arya is going to kill Cersei I could see her doing it using Joffrey's face, not Jamie's.

I don't think the actor would return to playing Joffrey, but that would be amazing. Although we don't know the limits of the power, and whether it would work on the face of someone who's been dead for 2-3 years.

A Hound vs Mountain face off does seem likely. Although that's another battle where I can see both being killed.

Still, The Hound's story arc is quite intriguing at present.

With The Hound seemingly being chosen by the Lord Of Light for something... I'm wondering if it' s being set-up so that Beric will end up being killed, along with The Hound..

...with Thoros then attempting to bring Beric back ..but The Hound is resurrected instead.

Could we then see The Hound leading the Brotherhood? The Hound going full circle and ending up as the warrior of light for a fire god does seem a quite pleasing fit. Especially if he then cuts The Mountain down with a flaming sword.

That would be great. The Hound is probably going to die at some point, but it would be amazing if he were to get revenge on his brother before the end.

A named flaming sword

Vengeance?

I don't remeber this being mentioned. If i recall Jon was the one kinda jealous of Robb, he being the Ace at everything but also admired him because of it.
Cathelyn was the one that actually shunned if not outright hated Jon.

Imagine how good a person Ned was to keep Jon's true parentage secret from everyone including his wife for like 20 years. He let Catelyn hate Jon and probably harbour hatred for him as well for all that time. But the secret was so explosive and so potentially damaging that he could not trust anyone with it; even his own wife who was just as good a person as he was.

Honestly man, I think you just dislike Dany and of course you have the right to an opinion, but there's absolutely no fucking way I'll ever agree that Dany's actions are comparable and evil to Cersei.

Dany is a conqueror though, and there will be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of casualties as a result, the same as any conqueror infringing on a well-supplied nation. I agree she's not anywhere near as villainous as Cersei, but she's marching towards King's Landing to take the throne purely because it's her birthright; regardless of who is on the throne and whether she would be a better ruler.

She took Sansa under her wing, comforted Cat in S1, and tried to spare Ned's life. She also showed legitimate regret/remorse at what Joffrey had become. Either way [the lack of] those qualities make her unlikeable, not evil. You can say similar things about people like Olenna and Tywin.

I think she stepped into the realms of pure evil the moment she destroyed the Sept with no doubt hundreds of casualties and untold damage to the city and citizens.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching the Sept explosion again. It shows the bell flying away through the city and landing in the street seconds before the green flames catch up, suggesting that the splash damage from the explosion was probably at least quarter of a mile around the Sept, which could have easily killed hundreds of civilians too. And she looks on and smiles, knowing her enemies are dead and giving zero fucks about the collateral damage!

RS4-

Someone refresh my memory on why Dany was to be married off to Drogo? Well aside from getting an "army" or some shit? Just trying to frame it and think if she'd still be on the same path had there been a different ruler after Robert died.

Well aside from Stannis, he'd probably have her killed anyway I guess?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Someone refresh my memory on why Dany was to be married off to Drogo? Well aside from getting an "army" or some shit? Just trying to frame it and think if she'd still be on the same path

She was married off to Drogo since they needed an army to re-take the Seven Kingdoms. She wasn't supposed to be a ruler, though, that's why Viserys got so pissed when he was pushed aside from Drogo. So if the path had gone the way they wanted, Viserys would be the one landing in Dragonstone but with just the Dothrakis.

Crispy75

What are the Three Eyed Raven's powers to interfere with the past? We've only seem him call out to his father after the Tower of Joy battle, haven't we?

That and Hold The Door. But the 3ER said, "The past is already written. The ink is dry." - which implies that any potential Bran's meddling in the past has already happened. Hold The Door backs that up. Hodor always said Hodor, it's just that the cause of his fit was in his future.

Cracklox

Of all things people could attack the show for, they attack it for showing too much poop and Ed Sheeran.

They've shown rape, tits, sex, decapitated heads, a pregnant women getting stabbed in the chest, killing of wolves, a young girl getting burned at the stake, but WTF THERE'S TOO MUCH POOP YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR.

And btw, Jon didn't want to punish Alys and Ned for the sins of their fathers cause that' what Catelyn did to Jon. Jon was innocent, but she hated him and punished him in different ways for something Ned had committed.

You forgot the greatest sin. A wart riddled peen last season

Putting it all together, I'm hoping we get a scene where we see Ed Sheeran take a shit, and his genital herpies
which he's probably got anyway, due to the inordinate amount of pussy he can no doubt get
are on full display.

Vashetti

Banned

Bran does and doesn't interfere with the past. It's confusing.

I believe the time system on GoT is a paradox, a closed loop.

Bran has to warg into Willis/Hodor because it's already happened. Hodor was already made like that by Bran when he was young as Willis, so Bran has no choice to enact that decision again last season when the situation arises.

I wonder when that initial point in time was that Bran warged into Willis and created the closed loop...

Nameless

Ok I see your point with the rest of your post, but I'm thinking you'll be proven wrong with the highlighted. The Dothraki aren't going to be doing anything the Dragon Queen doesn't want to be done, and she's already outlawed rape and pillaging.

You don't remember her being told that the council she left was overthrown by a mad man in Astaphor, and in Yunkai the slave masters took control again? I think the difference this time is that the masters have been shown what Dany could do. And it isn't a stretch of the imagination that if she secures herself in Westeros, she could send relief forces back to Esso if the need ever arises. Relief forces that could be fronted by very large dragons. I'd guess such thoughts would weigh heavily on the minds of any Master who still relishes the thought of taking back control.

Let's say that Dany can control thousands of barbarians long term. The increased resource drain alone on an already depleted country will lead to many, many deaths. How much do you think it takes to keep just those horses fed? Plus what, 30-50k additional mouths between the Dothraki and Unsullied? Dany's invasions is literally the second worst thing that could happen to Westoros at this point.

Dany is a conqueror though, and there will be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of casualties as a result, the same as any conqueror infringing on a well-supplied nation. I agree she's not anywhere near as villainous as Cersei, but she's marching towards King's Landing to take the throne purely because it's her birthright; regardless of who is on the throne and whether she would be a better ruler.

I think she stepped into the realms of pure evil the moment she destroyed the Sept with no doubt hundreds of casualties and untold damage to the city and citizens.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching the Sept explosion again. It shows the bell flying away through the city and landing in the street seconds before the green flames catch up, suggesting that the splash damage from the explosion was probably at least quarter of a mile around the Sept, which could have easily killed hundreds of civilians too. And she looks on and smiles, knowing her enemies are dead and giving zero fucks about the collateral damage!

I think Myrcella's death unlocked another level of not giving a fuck, but we've seen 'pure evil' on this show, and I'm sorry, there's a difference between Ramsay, Joffrey, Tanner who I'd classify as pure evil, and Cersei -- there just is.

Cersei's goal behind bombing the Sept was to destroy her enemies while saving her own life and reversing the doomed fortunes of her House, not to bathe in the blood of dead civilians while hearing the sweet symphony of their screams. I fail to see how Cersei putting her survival ahead 50-100 casualties is 'pure evil' , while Dany putting the conquest of a Kingdom she doesn't even need ahead of THOUSANDS isn't. It just doesn't track.

ASIS

Yay Dany discussion!

Let's say that Dany can control thousands of barbarians long term. The increased resource drain alone on an already depleted country will lead to many, many deaths. How much do you think it takes to keep just those horses fed? Plus what, 30-50k additional mouths between the Dothraki and Unsullied? Dany's invasions is literally the second worst thing that could happen to Westoros at this point.

I think Myrcella's death unlocked another level of not giving a fuck, but we've seen 'pure evil' on this show, and I'm sorry, there's a difference between Ramsay, Joffrey, Tanner who I'd classify as pure evil, and Cersei -- there just is.

Cersei's goal behind bombing the Sept was to destroy her enemies while saving her own life and reversing the doomed fortunes of her House, not to bathe in the blood of dead civilians while hearing the sweet symphony of their screams. I fail to see how Cersei putting her survival ahead 50-100 casualties is 'pure evil' , while Dany putting the conquest of a Kingdom she doesn't even need ahead of THOUSANDS isn't. It just doesn't track.
At the beginning of the conversation I thought you were mad for even comparing Dany and Cersei on the same level of evil, or better put, on the same level of ruthlessness. The more I think about it, however, the more I'm inclined to agree with you.

The main difference between them is that Dany is set out to achieve something, while Cersei is only trying to maintain what she has. I think if Dany were in Cersei's shoes in season 1, and Ned Stark wanted to expose her for something that would ultimately de-throne her and her family, she would imprison him until she's sure he will keep shut, if not outright kill him. Even if Ned stark was the righteous was in that instance.

Still though, Dany is the best, Cersei can suck it.

That and Hold The Door. But the 3ER said, "The past is already written. The ink is dry." - which implies that any potential Bran's meddling in the past has already happened. Hold The Door backs that up. Hodor always said Hodor, it's just that the cause of his fit was in his future.

He warged into Hodor, gave him a glimpse of the future and melted his goddamn brain!

Yeah, thanks guys. Can't believe I forgot that one!

Who is Tanner?

Cersei certainly isn't as evil as those characters, I think in part because she's better at playing the game and committing her foul acts in secret, while someone like Ramsey liked fucking with people and being openly cruel.

People die under Cersei because she is selfish and does these things for solely her own benefit. If people get in her way, are not loyal or she cannot use them, they die.

People die under Dany because she is trying to make a better life for all people. I think so far she has only openly killed enemy armies or the rich who seek to control/own those beneath them. She is to all intents and purposes a good and just leader who listens to counsel. As I pointed out earlier, while I think becoming a conqueror is an ultimately selfish endeavour, apart from that what individual things has she done that have been comparable to Cersei setting off a bomb in the middle of the city because she was scared to face judgement for a crime she had committed?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Bran does and doesn't interfere with the past. It's confusing.

I believe the time system on GoT is a paradox, a closed loop.

Bran has to warg into Willis/Hodor because it's already happened. Hodor was already made like that by Bran when he was young as Willis, so Bran has no choice to enact that decision again last season when the situation arises.

I wonder when that initial point in time was that Bran warged into Willis and created the closed loop...

Closed loops imply time is already written all at once, there would be no "initial" point, all points exist and have exist forever in a closed loop. The circle was complete the moment it was made.

sibarraz

Banned
So, why the first episode is getting so much hate?

Even though arguably nothing really happened, I still feel that it was a good episode to set up all the shit that is about to happen

m23

So, why the first episode is getting so much hate?

Even though arguably nothing really happened, I still feel that it was a good episode to set up all the shit that is about to happen

I don't think it's getting much hate. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well. I didn't expect something major to happen in the premiere and to be honest I was relieved we didn't have to wait 3 episodes for Dany to arrive at Dragonstone.

Agreeing with posts near the top of the page. Bran would not take the offer of king or even lord probably. He knows his place and it's with magic and history.

As I pointed out earlier, while I think becoming a conqueror is an ultimately selfish endeavour, apart from that what individual things has she done that have been comparable to Cersei setting off a bomb in the middle of the city because she was scared to face judgement for a crime she had committed?

Oh and let's not forget that it was Cersei that arranged for the city to be overrun by religious fanatics in the first place all in a ploy to stop her Sons wife from having any influence over him. Then there is the whole trying to have her brother killed multiple times. Having her husband killed.

Cercie has always been a cruel, selfish, manipulative bitch that has enjoyed and pain and torture or others. The only difference between Ramsey and Cercie are the tools they use, and the fact that Ramsey is just plain smarter then she is.

Oh and let's not forget that it was Cersei that arranged for the city to be overrun by religious fanatics in the first place all in a ploy to stop her Sons wife from having any influence over him. Then there is the whole trying to have her brother killed multiple times. Having her husband killed.

Cercie has always been a cruel, selfish, manipulative bitch that has enjoyed and pain and torture or others. The only difference between Ramsey and Cercie are the tools they use, and the fact that Ramsey is just plain smarter then she is.

As someone mentioned early too, there was the story the one guy (cant remember his name atm) told Tyrion when he was in jail about how Cersei pinched his junk when he was a baby pretty much just to see him cry and always blamed him for his mothers death. Seriously. How you can make an argument that Cersei isnt in the top level of evil people on the show is beyond me.

OrionX

Didn't Cersei also arrange for all of Robert's bastards to be killed, including a baby that was ripped from its mother's arms... Sure you could argue it was for self-preservation but that doesn't make the act any less evil.

Olenna Tyrell, my personal role model, said it best as usual during her last chat with the future Queen:

ca186c8e199c9335b0ec931a85440f970a6f218a_hq.gif

Anyway I'm so used to binging on Thrones, this is the first time I've watched the show as each episode comes out... The wait is unpleasant. lol

Croc

Banned
Yeah just because there's more "humanity" in Cersei than other villians on the show doesn't make her less evil. If anything it makes her worse cause you can see she's not completely crazy (yet) but still does all this awful shit.

Cersei does "evil" things for her own protection and self fortune. Her killing babies that were the possible bastards of Robbert is what any king/queen would have done when you have possible threats to your power (and Robbert would have done the same to Jon, and wanted to kill Danny)

She doesn't get pleasure out of peoples pain and suffering (minus that bitch nun), she understands that her son was a monster.

She is indifferent to the suffering of those below her and obviously when it comes to bombing the entire district of Kings Landing, she couldn't care less about collateral damage.

She's a horrible person, she is selfish and only gives a shit about the wellbeing of those she loves. Not evil though.

Her issue is she is just so self absorbed, she is unable to see that her future issues are caused by half baked solutions to the issues of now.

Gregor Clegane?

We haven't seen his cruelty on screen though. I mean, sure, he beheaded his horse, and he killed a beloved character in a fight to the death, but apart from that all we get are stories. We watch Ramsey and Joffrey torture and kill people, over and over and over. It's more visceral.

Griss

Cersei does "evil" things for her own protection and self fortune. Her killing babies that were the possible bastards of Robbert is what any king/queen would have done when you have possible threats to your power (and Robbert would have done the same to Jon, and wanted to kill Danny)

She doesn't get pleasure out of peoples pain and suffering (minus that bitch nun), she understands that her son was a monster.

She is indifferent to the suffering of those below her and obviously when it comes to bombing the entire district of Kings Landing, she couldn't care less about collateral damage.

She's a horrible person, she is selfish and only gives a shit about the wellbeing of those she loves. Not evil though.

Her issue is she is just so self absorbed, she is unable to see that her future issues are caused by half baked solutions to the issues of now.

This is like "I heard someone was going to rat out my drug dealing to the police so I killed them, but obviously that's self defense and anyone would have done it."

No, it's not and no they wouldn't. Doing evil things (mass slaughter of newborns) to cover your previous misdeeds (incest, adultery) is still fucking evil.

Also, being indifferent to the suffering of others while you cause it is basically one of the definitions of evil.

Vashetti

Banned

Joffrey did that.

sibarraz

Banned
Don't get this justification of the "evilness" of Cersei.

Like, if I really wanted, I could justify ramsay evilness (being a neglected bastard son who was ignored from the most part by his father) or joffrey (spoiled little brat who nobody ever said no to him)

Cersei has killed and ruined thousands of people just for her own gain and family, don't know how that doesn't make her evil

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
We do? I don't remember him ever talking about it, or others talking about it.

Joffrey had no idea he was the product of incest, ordering the killing of bastards that would pose little threat to him in terms of rightful claim doesn't really make sense.
He heard the rumors, dude wasn't an idiot. So just in case they were true, he had them all killed.

Cersei was actually quiet disturbed by it and also felt herself losing control over him.

Nah, we know for a fact he did it.

I always felt that scene was very ambiguous. Tyrion questions Cersei, she says something, he reacts with the "a-ha, it was Joffrey," and that's that. Except Cersei sort of looks away from him at that point and then gives the side-eye, which I took as a gesture to mean "oh great, he thinks Joffrey did it and not me, let's roll with that." It makes more sense that it was Cersei who ordered it, as Joffrey wasn't even entertaining rumors that he was the product of incest, so it makes no sense for him to care about bastard claimants.

I don't think Dany takes any pleasure in knowing how much bloodshed there is going to be, though. She takes pleasure in killing her enemies, enemies whom she feels deserve what they are getting, enemies who have had so much power, never imagining getting punishment for it, and deserving what they got.

This is war. If there was a way to avoid any bloodshed, I'm sure she would go that route, but there is no other option except war, with Cersei being queen. Like when Jon says to Ramsay that no one has to die, and suggested 1 on 1 combat. He declined; Jon had no choice but to fight in a war. And...as a result, there were thousands of casualties on both sides. I'm absolutely sure that Jon was not happy about it, and I'm absolutely sure Dany won't feel gleeful about knowing that the cost of getting the Iron Throne means that potentially thousands of her men will die for her.
I think it is crazy to believe that Westeros is better off with Cersei as queen than Dany. As I said above, this is war. Dany takes no pleasure in knowing that people will die, except for the people that deserve it. She outlawed reaving, raving, raping, etc. whatever the fucked up shit the ironborn are into. Meanwhile, Cersei could probably not care less if innocent people are suffering under her rule. Like what Stannis said Roose & Ramsay "As long as the Boltons rule the north, the north will suffer."

Cersei knew all along what kind of a monster Joffrey was, and instead of being honest about it when Ned came to her and then Joffrey on the throne, she chose to continue the lie of Joffrey as a Baratheon, so she could remain in power. She was in full support of her son that was pure evil, and that makes her pure evil.

why do you keep telling yourself that Cersei killed everyone simply because she was fixated on "survival"? Loras was there and tried for his crimes; they mutilated him which was fucked up but they didn't kill him. So Cersei wasn't saving her own life since her own life wasn't in actual danger, she was just tired of not being one in control anymore. "sweet symphony" of their screams? You saying you as the viewer felt good to see the killing of 100+ innocent people? That's MURDER! That's EVIL!

What did Margery do that was evil? What did Loras do that was evil? What did Mace do that was evil? Why did the bystanders deserve to die?
Dany does not take pleasure in killing innocent people. She's done everything she can to help the least fortunate people. She has even punished them for getting out of line - but she took no pleasure in it. When did Dany ever kill innocent people for her own selfish gain?
He was a fucking legend.

He's a fooking legend.
lol, I just remembered the episode where he was calling Rast a ballsack, that was funny.
Over the course of the show there have been two characters more evil than Cersei

joffrey-baratheon-23.jpg

5181264-e0ha8ikc.png

Ramsay Bolton in particular made Cersei look tame
"If you support evil, you are evil."

Cersei was the one who put Joffrey in power, standing behind everything he did. Ramsay had arguably more power in his side of the world, flaying this person and that person. And given the opportunity, Cersei has made it a point to bing down and torture an individual (that septa that shamed her on the streets)

Neece

I always felt that scene was very ambiguous. Tyrion questions Cersei, she says something, he reacts with the "a-ha, it was Joffrey," and that's that. Except Cersei sort of looks away from him at that point and then gives the side-eye, which I took as a gesture to mean "oh great, he thinks Joffrey did it and not me, let's roll with that." It makes more sense that it was Cersei who ordered it, as Joffrey wasn't even entertaining rumors that he was the product of incest, so it makes no sense for him to care about bastard claimants.

But he did care.

https://youtu.be/oeKSfImEO5A?t=1m5s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom