• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

About to watch the new episode before getting to sleep. The only thing I've had spoiled is Ed Sheeran cause it's hard to not have found out about the internet going a bit wonky over that cameo.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yup budget is stretched as far as it can go.

News stories said the top five cast (Lena, Nikolaj, Peter, Kit and Emilia) negotiated better contracts for these last 13 episodes so they're taking more of the budget too.

I thought HBO had a strict budget on cast. I guess you lose negotiating power when your this far into a series.

psaman17

Banned
what happened last? i thought he was traveling to help dany out even though she banished him or something

and then he just shows up in the citadel prison

My theory: Jorah is the prince that was promised. When the war against white walker seems futile and all hope is lost, jorah the greyscale is unleashed from prison. Greyscale is super effective against WW.

There has to be a reason hes in the citadel and sam is there with him. Right?

Pagusas

Elden Member
My theory: Jorah is the prince that was promised. When the war against white walker seems futile and all hope is lost, jorah the greyscale is unleashed from prison. Greyscale is super effective against WW.

There has to be a reason hes in the citadel and sam is there with him. Right?

I imagine its so Sam can test cures on him, especially given the book Sam is reading states the cure for it right in the text.

Werd

What even is Greyscale? While I won't claim to have been paying too much attention, it seemed to come out of nowhere considering how deadly it is. How many people did Jorah infect on the way to Old Town if it spreads by touch.

Well, it was on Shireen's face (cured and the spread stopped) for her entire run, Stannis gave the story of searching for a cure. That's fairly prominent. It's briefly discussed by Tyrion earlier in S5 when he listens to a Red Priest, and is probably alluded to but not named by Quaithe (mysterious masked woman in S2) who paints a sailor's back as some kind of mystical protection to travel through the ruins of Valyria where some of the shunned afflicted "stone men" have gathered.

But yeah basically just slowly turns your skin to hard/cracked "stone" patches before then killing by effecting internal organs. Transfers by touch, but Jorah had been keeping it covered previously (obviously to hide as well). Definitely not very considerate to reach out at Sam though..

Well, it was on Shireen's face (cured and the spread stopped) for her entire run, Stannis gave the story of searching for a cure. That's fairly prominent. It's briefly discussed by Tyrion earlier in S5 when he listens to a Red Priest, and is probably alluded to but not named by Quaithe (mysterious masked woman in S2) who paints a sailor's back as some kind of mystical protection to travel through the ruins of Valyria where some of the shunned afflicted "stone men" have gathered.

But yeah basically just slowly turns your skin to hard/cracked "stone" patches before then killing by effecting internal organs. Transfers by touch, but Jorah had been keeping it covered previously (obviously to hide as well). Definitely not very considerate to reach out at Sam though..

Jorah was kind of a dick trying to touch Sam.

I took as they are hinting that Jorah is starting to lose his sanity? Like in the last of us where once you are infected, slowly you turn and lose your mind...

Darknight

I didnt know who Ed Sheeran was so I had to google him.

I am now more upset Arya didnt kill all of them. They are clearly guards or men from Lannister's army, right? They deserved no right to live.

I am now more upset Arya didnt kill all of them. They are clearly guards or men from Lannister's army, right? They deserved no right to live.

I mean, the entire point of the scene was to humanize them and show us that there is still bits of Arya that isn't gone into pure bloodlust.

kmfdmpig

They were kind to a stranger on the road and shared food/drink. Just because they're affiliated with the Lannister's doesn't make them evil. As said above, the point was to contrast how Arya handled the situation with how she handled the family of Walder Frey.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is Arya heading north or south? Guessing south since she said she would kill Cersei, but her family is up north...

FiggyCal

Banned
I wonder if we'll see the fat orphan boy again this season. Last time we saw him, he still worked at the Inn.

What even is Greyscale? While I won't claim to have been paying too much attention, it seemed to come out of nowhere considering how deadly it is. How many people did Jorah infect on the way to Old Town if it spreads by touch.
It's kind of like their version of leprosy, but it also makes you go insane when it gets to an advanced stage. Jorah kind of went out of his way to contract it. But he probably just kept his hand covered on the way to Old Town.

TTG

Just saw it. One, Arya knocked off Frey last season? Totally forgot. Don't tell me she'll be oblivious to a bunch of Starks gathering together in the North the whole season. Two, setting up Jon and Dany with the dragon glass deposit is a nice touch, good that they got to it early.

Fatty cleaning out chamber pots and serving stew was the scene of the premier, which was kind of uneventful otherwise. I wouldn't mind LIttlefinger having a more prominent role, meh.

Apathy

Internet at home has been down for over 24 hours so finally got a chance to watch it. it was so good but good damn do I hate the slow sam parts.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When the episode opened with Frey my first thought was that it was a pre-episode recap. Second, a flashback. But of course as soon as he gave them all the wine, I knew what was up. And I was happy.

sure

I think we're seeing Nymeria next week but I don't think that the wolf shown is her since it looks like a regular-ass wolf.
I also think that,
with Royce in the trailer saying "a targaryen cannot be trusted" - maybe Davos will jump in to help Jon in his argument to go to Dragonstone that he has been there himself and can confirm that there is a lot of dragonglass there.

It was honestly kinda strange how Davos stayed quiet during that lords meeting. Neither he or Tyrion said anything but Tyrion had a reason to be quiet. I wanted to hear Davos's opinion with the whole Umber/Karstark situation.

Also, i wish royce would have a scene talking with jon snow directly. he's not really a northerner and i wonder what he thinks of him.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
giant-white-walker-got.png

I feel like this was them reminding us there are no happy endings in this world. Fully prepared for the series finale ending with the last few heroes dying and Winter & the dead claiming Westoros for good.

Your Red Woman tell you that Nameless lol? The first time the White Walkers came, it took generations for them to be defeated. We've got 12 episodes left to wrap this show up. Something tells me Sam is going to find the OG Konami code in the forbidden room at the citadel, and the Night's King's fuckery will be dealt with a lot quicker.

"Oh so this is what they did the last time..."

I feel like Dany has to be considered evil too if Cersei is.

Also she tried to reign Joffrey in and was visibly shaken when couldn't. And there was some collateral damage in the Sept bombing, but she took down people trying to do the same to her.

You what now? In six season so far, tell me exactly at what moment Dany explicitly set out to murder innocent people? Should she have perhaps had a trial to figure out which of the slave masters actually had those kids crucified on the posts? Sure. But slavery in all its forms was something even Ned would have executed people for. Dany has not once been shown as someone who takes glee and pleasure from the common folk being harmed. Even the fighting in the pits bothered her. Dany if anything, has a stubborn and immovable concern for those who have been abused and oppressed by the system. I think it comes from her having been abused by her brother, and the fact that she spent most of her life as an underdog. To call Dany evil is absolutely bonkers. Arya has shown to be capable of doing straight up evil shit (cutting people into pieces and cooking them into pies, and then feeding someone else said pies) the past season, and even then I wouldn't call her evil. Jon executed a man for not following his orders? Is he evil as well?

Also to address a comment you made a few posts after. There's only one city Dany straight up conquered, and that was Astophor. It is crazy to me how you don't realise why she did what she did. That walk of punishment where they had the slaves all crucified, is what set her on her path to free them. She left Astophor with its own government, left Yunkai with its own government, and was planning on leaving Mereen until she learned that the Slavers had taken those cities back. Your argument that "some" of those slavers were nice, well fuck them. Lay with dogs and all that. She also told Yara that there will be no pillaging, reaving, and raping. On top of that, the majority of Westeros is already on her side (Dorne, the Reach, half the Greyjoys), or aren't her enemies (the North). So the Lannisters whose Queen nuked a good portion of the capital is who she faces off against.

It seems to me that you're judging her based on "what ifs" then on actual events. Is Sansa evil for suggesting that the Umburns and that other family be punished for the sins of their fathers?

Your Red Woman tell you that Nameless lol? The first time the White Walkers came, it took generations for them to be defeated. We've got 12 episodes left to wrap this show up. Something tells me Sam is going to find the OG Konami code in the forbidden room at the citadel, and the Night's King's fuckery will be dealt with a lot quicker.

"Oh so this is what they did the last time..."
the archmaester mentioned that throughout all the winters, the wall has stood. they've been kinda teasing at the wall coming down for the past few seasons and if it ends up happening at some point before the end of the series, i think that will make the threat much worse. and harder to defeat.

kubus

Have Jon and/or Sansa commented on Arya yet? I mean Brienne is right there with them in Winterfell and she saw Arya and The Hound. Would be weird if she forgot to mention that to them.

Likewise I wonder if Arya knows about Sansa and Jon in Winterfell? Would she still travel south to get her revenge if she knows her family is North?

Fuck I need Jon and Arya to meet again, they were so cute in season 1. But Arya is probably running off to her doom... :(.

You what now? In six season so far, tell me exactly at what moment Dany explicitly set out to murder innocent people? Should she have perhaps had a trial to figure out which of the slave masters actually had those kids crucified on the posts? Sure. But slavery in all its forms was something even Ned would have executed people for. Dany has not once been shown as someone who takes glee and pleasure from the common folk being harmed. Even the fighting in the pits bothered her. Dany if anything, has a stubborn and immovable concern for those who have been abused and oppressed by the system. I think it comes from her having been abused by her brother, and the fact that she spent most of her life as an underdog. To call Dany evil is absolutely bonkers. Arya has shown to be capable of doing straight up evil shit (cutting people into pieces and cooking them into pies, and then feeding someone else said pies) the past season, and even then I wouldn't call her evil. Jon executed a man for not following his orders? Is he evil as well?

Also to address a comment you made a few posts after. There's only one city Dany straight up conquered, and that was Astophor. It is crazy to me how you don't realise why she did what she did. That walk of punishment where they had the slaves all crucified, is what set her on her path to free them. She left Astophor with its own government, left Yunkai with its own government, and was planning on leaving Mereen until she learned that the Slavers had taken those cities back. Your argument that "some" of those slavers were nice, well fuck them. Lay with dogs and all that. She also told Yara that there will be no pillaging, reaving, and raping. On top of that, the majority of Westeros is already on her side (Dorne, the Reach, half the Greyjoys), or aren't her enemies (the North). So the Lannisters whose Queen nuked a good portion of the capital is who she faces off against.

It seems to me that you're judging her based on "what ifs" then on actual events. Is Sansa evil for suggesting that the Umburns and that other family be punished for the sins of their fathers?
you explained it better than I could. i find it so strange how people have tried to rationalize the things Cersei has done, and that saying she is evil is uncalled for.

Heshinsi

you explained it better than I could. i find it so strange how people have tried to rationalize the things Cersei has done, and that saying she is evil is uncalled for.

It's like I'm reading some revisionist history or something. Cersie grabbed Tyrion's privates when he was a baby, and squeezed mercilessly. "Oh my god guys, she's so complicated and you wouldn't understand how smelly Tyrion's baby shits were!"

Dany's soldiers adore her; the common people adore her; she's getting better at listening to advice; no one follows her because they are fearful or threatened. These aren't the hallmarks of evil characters. I can't believe that anyone could make any arguments where the facilitators of one of the most brutal depiction of slavery in fiction, don't deserve everything they got and worse. They had the hands of slaves as direction signs in Volantis for crying out loud. A slave owner who took advantage of the system, can't turn around and bitch when justice comes for all of them.

My knowledge of when this all went down is a bit fuzzy because I haven't watched any GOT since last year, but from what I remember they didn't agree to any of her terms because Danny had nothing of value besides the dragons and they looked down upon her because she was a woman. Then when Danny finally offered up something of value for the Unsullied, they started negotiating. Her response to being looked down upon was setting them all on fucking fire. This is why I think Danny has the potential to go Mad Queen on people and why I don't think she's exactly good. Any time she faces opposition or something she doesn't like, her response is usually way more extreme than it really requires.

You need to watch that scene again, because it's not what they were saying about her that set her off. The walk of punishment, the treatment of the unsullied, the subtle ways the camera would focus on Dany noticing slaves all around the area. There's nothing extreme about freeing people from fucking slavers. Every single opposition she faced so far were slavers. I can't believe there is damn defense force for these cunts.

Nameless

Oh Heshinsi. I'll forgive you this one time for jumping into the middle of a discussion and arguing against a point I wasn't actually making. No, for the third time, I don't think Dany is evil. However her and Cersei are comparably ruthless towards their enemies and have no qualms about killing or destroying. The main difference is Cersei is an unlikeable asshole, and happens to be at odds with familiar characters we care for. Last season both were facing certain death or worse and went so far as to burn a room full of their enemies alive to escape their fates -- gaining more power in the process. That a few dozen civilians died in the short term due to Cersei's actions is a hilarious place to draw the line when Dany is about to UNLEASH A DOTHRAKI HORDE ON A WAR-TORN CONTINENT. I guarantee more innocents will die as a result of that than in the Sept bombing.

What Government? Things went to shit in Yunkai and Astapor almost immediately and eventually resulted in the Sons of The Harpy. And now she abandons the Bay of Dragons for good leaving the god damn Second Sons, a mercenary group, behind to keep her peace. What could possibly go wrong?

Nameless

It's like I'm reading some revisionist history or something. Cersie grabbed Tyrion's privates when he was a baby, and squeezed mercilessly. "Oh my god guys, she's so complicated and you wouldn't understand how smelly Tyrion's baby shits were!" .

She didn't resent Tyrion for leaving her motherless or anything. Like blowing up the Sept she just woke up and decided to wreak havoc for the hell of it.

Is Cersei a good person? Of course fucking not but just calling her evil is a lazy assessment that doesn't consider the character's history or motivations.

Heshinsi

Oh Heshinsi. I'll forgive you this one time for jumping into the middle of a discussion and arguing against a point I wasn't actually making. No, for the third time, I don't think Dany is evil. However her and Cersei are comparably ruthless towards their enemies and have no qualms about killing or destroying. The main difference is Cersei is an unlikeable asshole, and happens to be at odds with familiar characters we care for. Last season both were facing certain death or worse and went so far as to burn a room full their enemies alive to escape their fates -- gaining more power in the process. That a few dozen civilians died in the short term due to Cersei's actions is a hilarious place to draw the line when Dany is about to UNLEASH A DOTHRAKI HORDE ON A WAR-TORN CONTINENT. I guarantee more innocents will die as a result of that than in the Sept bombing.

What Government? Things went to shit in Yunkai and Astapor almost immediately and eventually resulted in the Sons of The Harpy. And now she abandons the Bay of Dragons for good leaving the god damn Second Sons, a mercenary group, behind to keep her peace. What could possibly go wrong?

Ok I see your point with the rest of your post, but I'm thinking you'll be proven wrong with the highlighted. The Dothraki aren't going to be doing anything the Dragon Queen doesn't want to be done, and she's already outlawed rape and pillaging.

You don't remember her being told that the council she left was overthrown by a mad man in Astaphor, and in Yunkai the slave masters took control again? I think the difference this time is that the masters have been shown what Dany could do. And it isn't a stretch of the imagination that if she secures herself in Westeros, she could send relief forces back to Esso if the need ever arises. Relief forces that could be fronted by very large dragons. I'd guess such thoughts would weigh heavily on the minds of any Master who still relishes the thought of taking back control.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, I'm thinking that Sam and Jorah will be the connective tissue between Jon and Dany. While Sam was flipping through the book, everything there was very unimportant, except for that line that's cut off that implies that Dragonglass can be a cure for something, whatever it is cannot be read. I'm thinking Sam will find out who Jorah is, cure his dragonscale, and he will tell him about the White Walkers, and their need for more Dragonglass. He will also see how it cured his Dragonscale, so he will know this shit is legit.

Jorah will go back to Dany, tell her about the need for Jon to mine for more Dragonglass at Dragonstone, and that's how they will unite The North with Dany's army to fight the White Walkers in season 8.

95% chance of me being completely wrong.

She didn't resent Tyrion for leaving her motherless or anything. Like blowing up the Sept she just woke up and decided to wreak havoc for the hell of it.

Is Cersei a good person? Of course fucking not but just calling her evil is a lazy assessment that doesn't consider the character's history or motivations.

No fucking way I can agree to that. It is not lazy to call Cersei, but it is simple. She's much more complex than that, I'll agree with you there, but evil, for all intents and purposes, is still a fitting adjective to describe her.

televator

Cersei is evil. Her motivation is to fuck everyone that isn't a Lannister. She clearly stated as such. She taught her own son this outlook and it fed into his monstrous character. She then tried to "protect" her other son by aiding and abetting the Westeros version of the Taliban in oder to persecute a gay man. She sent an assassin to kill a little paraplegic boy in his sleep. Then she committed mass murder with a WMD.

I mean... it's all there. Sure, you can argue that Danny has done terrible things, but she's done them mostly to terrible people and largely for the purpose of ending slavery. She has genuine compassion for the weak. Cersie has no such quality.

Equating the 2 characters is ironically glossing over nuances and motivations for Danny, which is what Einchy is accusing others of doing to Cersei.

Crispy75

What even is Greyscale? While I won't claim to have been paying too much attention, it seemed to come out of nowhere considering how deadly it is.

Given how the ruins of Valeria are where the totally greyscaled people live, it's probably got something to do with the Doom.

Ravelle

I always thought greyscale some sort of fungus you can get affected with when coming in contact with it, or staying too lang in damp places.

No idea why it's made such a big plot point though.

fantomena

Of all things people could attack the show for, they attack it for showing too much poop and Ed Sheeran.

They've shown rape, tits, sex, decapitated heads, a pregnant women getting stabbed in the chest, killing of wolves, a young girl getting burned at the stake, but WTF THERE'S TOO MUCH POOP YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR.

And btw, Jon didn't want to punish Alys and Ned for the sins of their fathers cause that' what Catelyn did to Jon. Jon was innocent, but she hated him and punished him in different ways for something Ned had committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom