• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

You realize though that you calling the Tyrells the neo Lannisters is acknowledging that the Lannisters are by far the most evil family comparably in this story?

When Jaime & the Tyrell army got to the sept, they didn't go charging in, they started with a warning. Also, I asked individually for each, what has Margery ever done that was evil? What has ser Loras ever done that was evil? What has Mace ever done that was evil?

That same Margery that was fully aware that Joffrey was a vicious fuck whose corpse doesn't deserve a single thought or drop of love.

Margery was only concerned with being queen and would even do cheesy PR shit in order to look better than Cersei, even though she didn't actually care about the commonfolk.

Like I said, the Cersei/Sept/Tyrell storyline was a bunch of evil greedy people fighting each other.

What about killing someone intentionally then Chopping em into bloody bits and pieces, taking the sweet time cooking the body into a beautiful pie? Then feed the said pie to its family member and only slitting the mans throat after hes had a taste.

Shes approaching Hannibal lector tier evil right now.

Hannibal lector killed and ate people for pure pleasure, not giving a fuck about anyone else. Arya wanted revenge for the man and family that murdered her mother, brother, sister in law and unborn nephew.

She was OD with it but it's a TV show that wanted to add something dramatically satifsying in a scene and she is a product of her environment. Her whole childhood is a scar.

Sunster

Why were the Tyrells evil? Why were Mace, Loras, and Mace Tyrell evil? What did they do?
Why were they worse influences on Tommen than his own mother? What did the bystanders in the sept to deserve getting lit up? Why is it okay that Cersei killed them?

ah well then is it safe to assume that was a joke post?

Not really? Tommen was a bad character and Cersei blowing up the sept was amazing. I want her to die too but I'm glad things happened the way they did.

Margery was only concerned with being queen and would even do cheesy PR shit in order to look better than Cersei, even though she didn't actually care about the commonfolk.

Like I said, the Cersei/Sept/Tyrell storyline was a bunch of evil greedy people fighting each other.
Doing cheesy PR shit to give a good image by donating food to the poor, is better than throwing food away to supersede a royal order (which is what Cersei did).

Margery was only concerned with being queen but has she or was she ever willing to personally kill people to get there? Also, what about Loras? What did he do that was evil? Also, what about Mace? What did he do that was evil? Also, what about all the bystanders in the sept? Why did they deserve to die?

Not really? Tommen was a bad character and Cersei blowing up the sept was amazing. I want her to die too but I'm glad things happened the way they did.

Tommen being a bad character is another whole conversation. If there's one issue I have with the Lannister family arc, it's how neither of the other two Lannister children are given much exposure other than Joffrey. Tommen is given some but not nearly as much as his brother, and they never showed the reactions or developments of these children's in events taking place in the story, like they did with all the Stark children and this show started off with mostly being a Stark/Lannister story.

edit: sorry for double post

Sephzilla

You don't need to be a murderer to be an evil scumbag. Look at the current President

The Sept didn't kill people but they were probably even worse than the Tyrells and Lannisters

psaman17

Banned
You mean the people who killed her brother and mother?
Yes and your point is?

She could have her vengeance the old fashioned way but she ENJOYS the spectacle of it. She likes doing fucked up shit. Thats not evil?

How many characters left on the show is capable of doing the pie bit? Euron, cercei? You can make the argument shes the third most evil major character left.

You don't need to be a murderer to be an evil scumbag.

Look at the current President

The Sept didn't kill people but they were probably even worse than the Tyrells and Lannisters
I don't think the Tyrells did enough despicable things to be considered evil scumbags that deserved to die at the orders of the most evil scumbag on the show

edit: fine, you don't have to be a murderer to be an evil scumbag but that doesn't answer my questions. which were, what did Margery do that was evil? What did Loras do that was evil? What did Mace do that was evil? Why did the bystanders deserve to die?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yes and your point is?

She could have her vengeance the old fashioned way but she ENJOYS the spectacle of it. She likes doing fucked up shit. Thats not evil?

How many characters left on the show is capable of doing the pie bit? Euron, cercei? You can make the argument shes the third most evil major character left.

See my edit.

Melon Husk

The dialogue sure took a dip. It does feel too modern. I winced at "Are you old enough to drink?" I can see how that could work, but it came out wrong.

I feel liked E.U. Ron could've said "What is UP Queenie?!" on his entrance, that would've had the same effect...

Sephzilla

I don't think the Tyrells did enough despicable things to be considered evil scumbags that deserved to die at the orders of the most evil scumbag on the show

edit: fine, you don't have to be a murderer to be an evil scumbag but that doesn't answer my questions. which were, what did Margery do that was evil? What did Loras do that was evil? What did Mace do that was evil? Why did the bystanders deserve to die?

the complete manipulation of tommen, aka the one innocent nice Lannister? There's a reason Cersei saw Margaery as a threat, evil recognizes evil

You do have me at Loras though. He was the one Tyrell character who actually seemed pretty legit.

the complete manipulation of tommen, aka the one innocent nice Lannister?

There's a reason Cersei saw Margaery as a threat, evil recognizes evil
how was that evil? what were the BAD things that Margery was influencing upon Tommen? how was Cersei's influence BETTER than Margery for Tommen?

the only threat Cersei saw was losing power. She was the queen's mother and not the queen anymore and she realizes she was losing power. That was her motivation. Like she would not be satisfied with ANY girl that Tommen marries because she don't give a fuck about nobody

edit: just saw your edit about Loras, glad we could agree on something lol

I think tricking someone into thinking you love them when the only thing you love is the idea of being closer to the throne is pretty evil
it's selfish, but it certainly isn't evil. her intention was not to put Tommen in danger but to be queen, and she got what she wanted and it was all good! Tommen & her queen. Cersei was not okay with it because she could not stand to see her son with probably anyone, she wanted only herself to be queen

My final predictions.

1) Maesters are in on the White Walker scheme to some degree. Either apathetic or in some way conspiring.

2) Arya is a wild card and is only going to bring absolute chaos where she goes. Again, wouldn't be shocked if her actions are the last destabilizing domino pieces that send the entire Kingdom into chaos.

The issue we're at now is this is the end game. The pieces are in play, and it looks like we have an absolute crystal clear picture of what's about to go down.

The shitty part is there are literally only two ways to go. Either we knew the endgame of Jon + Danny teaming up and using the Dragonstone isle to produce dragon glass like three seasons ago, or we're getting set up for an 11th hour twist that throws away years of progress.

Sephzilla

I think we might get a temporary Jon and Danny team-up because both sides hate Cersei and both have the tools to stop the White Walkers. But I ultimately see that alliance breaking down once they start debating who should sit on the Iron Throne. Jon will ultimately not want to rule but he might recognize that Danny is potentially dangerous.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think we might get a temporary Jon and Danny team-up because both sides hate Cersei and both have the tools to stop the White Walkers. But I ultimately see that alliance breaking down once they start debating who should sit on the Iron Throne. Jon will ultimately not want to rule but he might recognize that Danny is potentially dangerous.

I would be surprised if they go any route other than immediately hooking them up. It's the kind of thing I can practically hear the studio execs begging for.

The issue I have with Danny is I can't tell if the writers are playing her up to be a clearly flawed and naive ruler who has time and time again caused nothing bad bad things to happen because she is really bad at what she does, but is able to bullshit her way out of her horrible decisions because she has dragons that will simply fuck you up.

Or if they are actually playing it straight and are trying to make her out to be a good person who should be automatically rooted for.

I want to think the former because Tyrion has been driving that point into her thick skull for a while now, but they are playing her up so hard.

Sephzilla

The issue I have with Danny is I can't tell if the writers are playing her up to be a clearly flawed and naive ruler who has time and time again caused nothing bad bad things to happen because she is really bad at what she does, but is able to bullshit her way out of her horrible decisions because she has dragons that will simply fuck you up.

Or if they are actually playing it straight and are trying to make her out to be a good person who should be automatically rooted for.

I want to think the former because Tyrion has been driving that point into her thick skull for a while now, but they are playing her up so hard.

I'm not sure either. They give her little bits of "mad king" moments that Tyrion has to talk her down from and she doesn't really "learn" that much because she just LOLDRAGONS her way through things, so it seems like she's flawed. But on the flipside, it seems like every character on her council seems to be practically hypnotized by how apparently amazing she is, men keep falling in love her with her, frees slaves, and she triumphs over every adversary who crosses her. In that regard she basically comes across as the John Cena of GoT that you're supposed to root for.

This is why I'm more of a Jon Snow fan - he's a more clearly flawed character who actually has to develop and learn from mistakes because he cant summon monsters any time there's trouble

psaman17

Banned
Hannibal lector killed and ate people for pure pleasure, not giving a fuck about anyone else. Arya wanted revenge for the man and family that murdered her mother, brother, sister in law and unborn nephew.

She was OD with it but it's a TV show that wanted to add something dramatically satifsying in a scene and she is a product of her environment. Her whole childhood is a scar.

Thats why i said approaching, she aint there yet. If shes still alive , give it a few more years.

She went from barely knowing where to put in the pointy end to imma kill all yall and feed you to ur fam so dont fuk wit me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is why I'm more of a Jon Snow fan - he's a more clearly flawed character who actually has to develop and learn from mistakes because he cant summon monsters any time there's trouble

Ghost-in-a-new-Game-of-Thrones-clip-of-season-6-game-of-thrones-39474933-500-230.gif

Perhaps, but for what reasons?

Also something that might support it: here's something called the Grand Maester Conspiracy.

I ain't looking at no youtube shit! (ok I did look at the vid, it's from last year. Looks like it delves into the books though)

I bet the majority of those are just people reading off leaked scripts anyways.

Already basically spoiled R + L = J because of the internet, I'm trying to go in semi-blind with this season and "predictions".

And in terms of "what reasons".

1) The Long Night is known to have happened

2) The (head?) maester believes Sam with his talk of the White Walker threat.

Yet instead of attempting to absolutely verify this world ending threat, he is told that no matter what happens, even when it seems the end times are coming, it is never the actual end. The world will go on and so on.

This makes me think the Maesters are simply apathetic to it, simply viewing it as a natural cycle and another piece of history.

Re: the talk of Bran's claim to title.

I think he basically renounced that world when he became the Three Eyed Raven. Not an exact comparison, but like how Jaime renounced his Lannister titles and claims when he joined the King's Guard.

OrionX

If there's anything I've learned from watching this show it's that anyone who lives long enough will eventually commit an "evil" or morally questionable act at some point. It's the nature of their world. But Cersei's been the evilest of Evil Queens since the show began imo. There's a reason The Mountain, well known for his cruelty, is her closest companion aside from Jaime. I mean she's one of my favorite characters and I love to watch her but I really don't think there's any good in her.

Dany is just as ambitious and power hungry as Cersei, but I've always thought she has a good heart and tries to treat people fairly and with respect. Her sense of justice may seem harsher than necessary at times, but I think she genuinely wants to do the right thing and be a good ruler. Does wanting to be a good Queen make her a good Queen? Not necessarily, but I think she could get there, especially with people at her side like Tyrion. Honestly, since I started watching the show one of the things I've wanted the most is to see her sit on the Iron Throne. Is it predictable, yeah, but for some reason I just want it for her. I've enjoyed watching her rise from nothing, growing in confidence and strength. This is the first season I've posted here, so I've been kinda surprised to see that a good amount of people don't seem to like her. lol

Cersei doesn't care about or respect anyone but Cersei. She may have loved her children in her own way, but her actions with Tommen proved that she will always put her own desires and well-being over everyone and everything else. Catelyn Stark, for example, would've gladly fallen on her own sword for the sake of her children's happiness, but Cersei refused to let Tommen make a choice that would back her into a corner. Anyway, Oberyn's story about when he met Cersei after Tyrion's birth told me all I needed to know about her. She's been selfish and cruel almost her entire life.

Anyone think that Jon will have no problem allying with Dany, but Sansa will hate her guts?

I could easily see Jon and Dany beating the WW, Jon dying, Sansa betraying Dany, Sansa wins.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone think that Jon will have no problem allying with Dany, but Sansa will hate her guts?

I could easily see Jon and Dany beating the WW, Jon dying, Sansa betraying Dany, Sansa wins.

That would indeed be sad, I dont want Sansa surviving the series.

Ithil

My question is "What budget restrictions"? The seasons are about $100 million each now, and they have the dragons in every episode practically.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My question is "What budget restrictions"? The seasons are about $100 million each now, and they have the dragons in every episode practically.

And I bet they use every cent of that budget in what you see on screen. They are probably stretching it as far as they can

Venture

Well you have to draw the line somewhere with the budget. Dragons are probably integral to the overall plot whereas the wolves are not.

Well, there has to be a hard counter to the dragons. Otherwise, fully grown, they will be pretty OP against the whitewalkers.

I'm going to guess Dany loses 1 or 2 before they ever encounter them.

also wtf how/why did jorah teleport in to the citadel dungeon

assuming that was jorah

It was him, and he left to find a cure halfway through season 6. That's plenty of time to get to Westeros.

Einchy

Well, they use real wolves for all that stuff. So I can imagine it's pretty hard to get the footage they need.

Thats why i said approaching, she aint there yet. If shes still alive , give it a few more years.

She went from barely knowing where to put in the pointy end to imma kill all yall and feed you to ur fam so dont fuk wit me.
yeah you know i'm worried about her, so..can't say you're wrong yet.

Einchy

Well, there has to be a hard counter to the dragons. Otherwise, fully grown, they will be pretty OP against the whitewalkers.

I'm going to guess Dany loses 1 or 2 before they ever encounter them.
I'm going to be real pissed off any dragons die before we are able to see them fuck up a lot of shit. Like, one episode at least needs to be them fucking up King's Landing like in Bran's vision. Well, we didn't see them fuck up the place but we did see hem flying around and we know the Throne room gets somewhat destroyed at some point.

televator

There's also the difficulties of working with live animals humanely. Dragons are cool to do fully in CGI but wolves are harder to get looking realistic I think.

Don't think too hard about the chronology of the show. There are big time skips and they aren't even consistent between the scenes in an episode.

what happened last? i thought he was traveling to help dany out even though she banished him or something

and then he just shows up in the citadel prison

what happened last? i thought he was traveling to help dany out even though she banished him or something

He saved her life again, and then she saw he had greyscale. She makes him promise to find a cure then return to her.

The Citadel is where the world's knowledge is held. It stands to reason he thought that was the best place to find said cure.

ascii42

Did you even watch the scene? He was going to rat her out, which would've gotten her kidnapped or killed. How is he innocent? It was self defense.

Also I don't think she intended to. It seemed like she was trying to threaten him with the sword rather than use it to kill him.

Vashetti

Banned
Yup budget is stretched as far as it can go.

News stories said the top five cast (Lena, Nikolaj, Peter, Kit and Emilia) negotiated better contracts for these last 13 episodes so they're taking more of the budget too.

She told him to go find a cure for his disease and then find her after he's cured - I'm pretty sure it was episode 5 last year. It would make sense for him to go to the Citadel if he was looking for a cure and he would have left for Westeros long before Dany did (which is why his condition has deteriorated).

EDIT: Beaten.

Aikidoka

Jorah was kind of a dick trying to touch Sam.

What even is Greyscale? While I won't claim to have been paying too much attention, it seemed to come out of nowhere considering how deadly it is. How many people did Jorah infect on the way to Old Town if it spreads by touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom