• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So something that's been bugging me. If the Lord of Light is legit, why did he make Mel put her faith in Stannis when he clearly wasn't legit? Something about this dude just rubs me the wrong way. Clearly he has powers; he's brought people back from the dead, he has facilitated the birth of smoke baby, he shows visions in the flames that come true. But Stannis was a dud. I don't get it.

What if the God of Light never demanded human sacrifices, and Mel was just stupid, and this was the reason the light abandoned him when he burned Shareen?

The Brothers without Banners never sacrifices anyone, so I'm thinking Mel is just kinda shitty at her job.

Speevy

Banned
The Brothers without Banners never sacrifices anyone, so I'm thinking Mel is just kinda shitty at her job.

Brother Ray wasn't carving stars into everyone's head.

Religion is a weird thing in Game of Thrones because magic exists and yet there are still people who use falsehoods to influence the faithful.

Brother Ray wasn't carving stars into everyone's head.

Religion is a weird thing in Game of Thrones because magic exists and yet there are still people who use falsehoods to influence the faithful.

so the high sparrow in king's landing must've just been an extremist motherfucker out for power just like the rest of the people fighting for claim of the kingdoms

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I honestly don't know why Jon didn't just execute her ass.

Preview:

If there was anyone that would gladly be happy that drogan simply eats on sight, it's Mel. Fuck her child burning agenda, and here she is bringing her fuckery to Dany. I hope Jorah shows up out of nowhere and throws I spear through her heart as she begins trying to weave her treacherous shit.

I think Melisandre was just being used to put the pieces in place for Jon to be where he is now.

Maybe the Lord of Light is just a troll. Meli sees Bolton banners burning, but it turns out it's not Stannis who defeats them.

The Hound just saw "A Mountain" in a vision, for all we know that's just the Lord of Light being a fucking troll again and being two fold with it's future visions.

Hey... wait of minute.

Lord of Light.... LoL

Oh my god

Catelyn also mentioned early on that the reason her family is going through so much trouble is because she did not keep her promise to the "gods" that she would love Jon Snow

Einchy

Catelyn also mentioned early on that the reason her family is going through so much trouble is because she did not keep her promise to the "gods" that she would love Jon Snow

The Lord of Light is a dick if he's stealing the Old God's prayers, too.

That whole bit made me tear up. Jesus, imagine you're Rhaegar and you've essentially left behind two of the best fighters in the world behind in Dorne. You know how valuable someone like Arthur Dayne would be for you at the Trident, but you leave these fighters behind to protect the woman you love and your precious little boy. I pray that Jon finds out just how much his papa loved him, to the point where he rode into battle without his best guards because he needed them to watch for Jon.

Game of Thrones is all about what could have been if not for fate.

Had Rhaegar took Jamie (unlikely since he's Kingsguard), Selmy, Hightower, and Dayne. This is easily 3 of the greatest fighters who ever lived in their prime.

Imagine the 5 of them cutting down Robert's forces.

Selmy tells Dany that Rhaegar used to make money singing and give it to the poor. People loved him. He would have made a hell of a king!

Einchy

Maybe the Lord of Light isn't real and it's just coincidence two of the followers are stumbling back into magic?

I feel like that'd be a bit of a cop out since both resurrections that we've seen have been completely different, it's not really about the ritual but more them asking the same god to bring someone back. If it was just magic, I feel like there would need to be a bit of consistency there.

Ferrio

Banned
I feel like that'd be a bit of a cop out since both resurrections that we've seen have been completely different, it's not really about the ritual but more them asking the same god to bring someone back. If it was just magic, I feel like there would need to be a bit of consistency there.

Well Mel's also summoned the vagina monster which is odd with resurrection. Seems like something the Lord of Light wouldn't be associated with? IDK.

Heshinsi

I think Melisandre was just being used to put the pieces in place for Jon to be where he is now.

Maybe the Lord of Light is just a troll. Meli sees Bolton banners burning, but it turns out it's not Stannis who defeats them.

The Hound just saw "A Mountain" in a vision, for all we know that's just the Lord of Light being a fucking troll again and being two fold with it's future visions.

Hey... wait of minute.

Lord of Light.... LoL

Oh my god
In the Mistborn series by the gay bashing dickwad Brandon Sanderson, there exists a prophecy that a hero will go on a quest that would save the world. It eventually becomes known that the prophecy may in fact be mistranslated, and that the male hero everyone is expecting might in fact be a female due to the story being passed down wrong.

However, the prophecy isn't exactly what everyone thinks it is, and the source of the prophecy is in fact a locked up ancient evil. It created this story so that a gullible idiot would one day go on a hero quest to fulfil a prophecy that actually would doom the world.

I would laugh myself into a coma if the Lord of Light worked in a similar fashion.

"Ok let's see here, who is a no nonsense commander who although is a prick, is more than capable to command soldiers and fuck with my plan? Stannis? I need him out of the way. Great who's next? Jon...oh he drove home girl away. I'll get back to him. Oh who is this?! Dragon girl! Other Red priestess, make yourself presentable and go talk some fire shit to Khaleesi. Ah ok, this Hound guy wants some direction in his life. Hey isn't his brother named the Mountain? Let me show him a literal mountain to fuck with him! Haha!"

Speevy

Banned
Maybe the Lord of Light isn't real and it's just coincidence two of the followers are stumbling back into magic?

Lord of Light accomplishments

-Melted snow. Cost: Burn Shireen
-Shadow baby killing Renly. Cost: Stannis' sperm count?
-Possible dead kings. Cost: Leeches
-Jon Snow resurrection. Cost: Hair
-Beric Dondarrion resurrection X 6. Cost: Thoros has to listen to the same story over and over.
-Fuzzy image of someone winning a battle/being the prince who was promised. Cost: The lives of everyone you care about.

I think the trees give Bran powers for free.

The seven don't do any magic as far as I can tell.

i think shireen was sacrificed for nothing. i think the snow would have "melted" anyway i don't think burning an innocent little girl alive changed fucking anything.

and those leeches didn't do shit either. a spark didn't go off in carcetti's and olenna's minds to conspire killing joffrey suddenly when those leeches drank gendry's blood.

fuck that noise.

Heshinsi

Lord of Light accomplishments

-Melted snow. Cost: Burn Shireen
-Shadow baby killing Renly. Cost: Stannis' sperm count?
-Possible dead kings. Cost: Leeches
-Jon Snow resurrection. Cost: Hair
-Beric Dondarrion resurrection X 6. Cost: Thoros has to listen to the same story over and over.
-Fuzzy image of someone winning a battle/being the prince who was promised. Cost: The lives of everyone you care about.

I think the trees give Bran powers for free.

The seven don't do any magic as far as I can tell.
Lord of Light behaves exactly like the demon from Wish Upon or Djinn. He's a fuck boi, plain and simple. Stannis killed his brother in a shady manner, he burned his in laws alive because they wouldn't worship his new god, and he sacrificed his daughter (also lost his wife). But the Red Woman told him he was the Lord of Light's chosen one, and what did he gain? Or she could have simply misread everything. But you'd imagine if the dude is real he'd tell her at some point, "hold up you crazy fuck, I didn't ask you to do any of this!"

Speevy

Banned
i think shireen was sacrificed for nothing. i think the snow would have "melted" anyway i don't think burning an innocent little girl alive changed fucking anything.

and those leeches didn't do shit either. a spark didn't go off in carcetti's and olenna's minds to conspire killing joffrey suddenly when those leeches drank gendry's blood.

fuck that noise.

The night is dark and full of terrors.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I honestly don't know why Jon didn't just execute her ass.

Preview:

If there was anyone that would gladly be happy that drogan simply eats on sight, it's Mel. Fuck her child burning agenda, and here she is bringing her fuckery to Dany. I hope Jorah shows up out of nowhere and throws I spear through her heart as she begins trying to weave her treacherous shit.

No way Tyrion is going to be down with her shit. He plays the game too well to let Mel fuck all this up for him.

Speevy

Banned
"I say the three of you should each ride a dragon. There should be something between your legs at least."

giphy.webp

Heshinsi

that is the most uncomfortable i've seen varys look

I really need Varys, Tyrion, Missandae, and Grey Worm to collectively start doing this when the Red child murderer starts spouting her filth...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think it's amazing that between all her advisors and her own self, she has enough people who would absolutely recoil in horror from what Mel is and preaches.

Volimar

The gods didn't know that R+L=J or they hated Catelyn.

Cat brought on the Gods' wrath when swearing to be better to Jon when he fell seriously ill. When he got better, she went back to treating him poorly, breaking her word to the Gods. Watching her favored son die in front of her was some old Gods style comeuppance.

I really need Varys, Tyrion, Missandae, and Grey Worm to collectively start doing this when the Red child murderer starts spouting her filth...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think it's amazing that between all her advisors, she has enough people who would absolutely recoil in horror from Mel is and preaches.

you know i will say, one thing I liked about Melisandre's arc is how she loses confidence towards the end of season 6.

she passes her off as a knowitall for the whole show but then the morning that a foot soldier comes to Stannis telling him that half his army left, there is that look on her face like you've never seen before. Like she doesn't know what's happening.

Davos hasn't properly narrated the story for Daenerys yet. She doesn't know she's supposed to hate Melisandre.
Varys might.

but if we are to go by the trailers,
it looks like Davos will go with Jon to Dragonstone and Melisandre is already there anyway. So Davos will say his piece if he has to.

Cat brought on the Gods' wrath when swearing to be better to Jon when he fell seriously ill. When he got better, she went back to treating him poorly, breaking her word to the Gods. Watching her favored son die in front of her was some old Gods style comeuppance.

yeah that's basically what i meant when i talked about this scene earlier

edit: sorry for double post

Heshinsi

Davos hasn't properly narrated the story for Daenerys yet. She doesn't know she's supposed to hate Melisandre.
We're all cool if Dany has Drogan immediately roast Mel when Ser Davos tells her about Shireen right?

"I will pay injustice with justice!"

Come on Dany, this one is earned! Child killings equals immediate reprisal remember?

-griffy-

Banned

The other way to look at it is the Lord of Light put her on a specific path to be where she needed to be in order to resurrect Jon Snow at the right time.

Surfinn

Alright, I just saw it...

And holy shit was that an excellent episode. The dialogue, pacing, editing, music, cinematography, lighting, cgi backgrounds, general production..

GoT is back. Fuck nothing touches this show

And no nudity or excessive violence necessary. I can get used to this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom