• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Alright, I just saw it...

And holy shit was that an excellent episode. The dialogue, pacing, editing, music, cinematography, lighting, cgi backgrounds, general production..

GoT is back. Fuck nothing touches this show

And no nudity or excessive violence necessary. I can get used to this!
How did you find the ending?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

And holy shit was that an excellent episode. The dialogue, pacing, editing, music, cinematography, lighting, cgi backgrounds, general production..

You didn't like that old man's dick!?

same here. all that fuckin gratuitous nudity is the worst thing about this show in my opinion

After watching TWD, come on. This shit is heaven. Yup I agree

between these 2 shows (probably the top 2 most popular tv shows of the 21st century) i started off always rooting for the walking dead before i started watching thrones. then i started watching thrones.

boy was i wrong

Heshinsi

I'm not gonna lie, I was wondering where the ending was (I jumped in cold turkey). Was that the place Stannis was at with Melisandre? Can you quickly explain the significance? I was just about to look it up.

HEY I saw that. Don't ruin the dream!
Yeah that's where father of the year Stannis was holed up in for awhile. It's called Dragonstone and it's the Targaryen ancestral home. It is also Dany's place of birth. So she's pretty much returned home from exile, and we've been waiting for this moment for six seasons.

Did you like it? Did it give you goosebumps? Did you tear up when Missandae held Grey Worm back so as to allow Dany to have her moment alone? Were you impressed when she forgo sitting on the throne to instead get to the matter at hand?

Essentially what I'm asking you is if you thought Emilia Clarke's acting sucked and it took you out of the moment, and it diminished this wonderful episode closing scene for you?

lol her acting didn't suck but they made the homecoming more epic than the scene and its meaning and all really was. i dunno. it's kinda just an easy way to not have had her arc move in the first episode, as the finale of last season was her just on her way.

Surfinn

Yeah that's where father of the year Stannis was holed up in for awhile. It's called Dragonstone and it's the Targaryen ancestral home. It is also Dany's place of birth. So she's pretty much returned home from exile, and we've been waiting for this moment for six seasons.

Did you like it? Did it give you goosebumps? Did you tear up when Missandae held Grey Worm back so as to allow Dany to have her moment alone? Were you impressed when she forgo sitting on the throne to instead get to the matter at hand?

Essentially what I'm asking you is if you thought Emilia Clarke's acting sucked and it took you out of the moment, and it diminished this wonderful episode closing scene for you?
Thank you. I knew this was a huge moment, I just wasn't entirely sure why. Damn, I need to go watch it again now.

Her acting was great. The entire scene was executed perfectly I thought.

I didn't catch some of what you brought up. Again, this show is the real deal

Gnome

The thing that makes the end of the episode boring is how utterly normal its become for Dany to do something "badass". Consider the fact that episode right before this one did the exact same thing with nearly the exact same music, and you see how fucking rote it's become. Like the writers just default to a Dany ending with dragons screeching in the background, when they have no other idea for an episode ender.

I think it's bad, but I don't blame Dany or Emilia Clarke. The moment should have been amazing and cathartic, "Dany's finally in Westeros!" But the habitual nature of D&D's writing watered it down in the lead up for me. Utterly mediocre.
lol her acting didn't suck but they made the homecoming more epic than the scene and its meaning and all really was. i dunno. it's kinda just an easy way to not have had her arc move in the first episode, as the finale of last season was her just on her way.

This ending for the premier should have been the season finale ending for last season.

The thing that makes the end of the episode boring is how utterly normal its become for Dany to do something "badass". Consider the fact that episode right before this one did the exact same thing with nearly the exact same music, and you see how fucking rote it's become. Like the writers just default to a Dany ending with dragons screeching in the background, when they have no other idea for an episode ender.

I think it's bad, but I don't blame Dany or Emilia Clarke. The moment should have been amazing and cathartic, "Dany's finally in Westeros!" But the habitual nature of D&D's writing watered it down in the lead up for me. Utterly mediocre.

yeah this is pretty much what I meant. although, the music for this homecoming scene I thought was a huge step up and fitting for the scene itself.
This ending for the premier should have been the season finale ending for last season.
yes! that would've made more room for some of episode 2's events to just have been in episode 1.

Heshinsi

Thank you. I knew this was a huge moment, I just wasn't entirely sure why. Damn, I need to go watch it again now.

Her acting was great. The entire scene was executed perfectly I thought.

I didn't catch some of what you brought up. Again, this show is the real deal
latest

Oh we are going to get along pleasantly, I can feel it!

Einchy

Speculation on death based on what a person looks like in real life.

Remember how people thought Jon was dead for sure since he cut his hair? I think Brienne will die this season since she has long hair in real life now.

Gnome

Remember how people thought Jon was dead for sure since he cut his hair? I think Brienne will die this season since she has long hair in real life now.

I think Brienne will die, because her character has no real purpose any more. But long hair is a bad indicator imo. You can always cut hair. With Jon, it was the opposite, he cut his hair, which you can't reliably grow back in time to the same length.

Heshinsi

So by that metric...

Everyone's favourite eunuch is also not long for this world?

Famassu

Haven't watched S6 since I thought book six would actually be released and was holding off. Silly me. Anyhoo, watched S7E1 when I was visiting my cousin's daughter with said cousin and she mentioned she had HBO Nordic, then my cousin started to insist we watch the first episode of the season. I said to heck with it, I'll read book six in 2025 when it's released, finished by someone who wrestled the book rights from the estate.

Things have seemed to have advanced in a fairly... predictable manner since Season 5.

I think

Arya is going to kill Little Finger and take his dagger, and his face and command the Knights of the Veil.

that may not be necessary. Sansa still has the knowledge of Carcetti killing Lysa.

Also is there anybody alive on the show that knows it's Carcetti that got Jon Arryn killed & basically started the whole story?

Gleethor

that may not be necessary. Sansa still has the knowledge of Carcetti killing Lysa.

Also is there anybody alive on the show that knows it's Carcetti that got Jon Arryn killed & basically started the whole story?
Lysa straight up admitted it in front of Sansa right before LF pushed her out the moon door. Sansa hasn't brought it up thus far.

Einchy

Haven't watched S6 since I thought book six would actually be released and was holding off. Silly me. Anyhoo, watched S7E1 when I was visiting my cousin's daughter with said cousin and she mentioned she had HBO Nordic, then my cousin started to insist we watch the first episode of the season. I said to heck with it, I'll read book six in 2025 when it's released, finished by someone who wrestled the book rights from the estate.

Things have seemed to have advanced in a fairly... predictable manner since Season 5.

Watch season 6, you're missing out on the best one so far.

Heshinsi

what are your thoughts on Dany meeting Jon? Do you want them to fall in & then make love like I do?
Hahaha I've wanted that since season one bro. There's of course a practical reason why that should happen. Dany has three still growing dragons, and eventually those dragons will have little dragons of their own. Only Valyrian blood can bind with the Dragons (hence the incest), so for the good of the realm and all that, ah they ah, need to do like their ancestors.

But if all this is a setup for Jon to run his sword through Dany's heart for some cheap "woman used as sacrifice to save the world" bullshit, I'm going to be pissed. Stay single Dany, no man is worth you in that case!

Lysa straight up admitted it in front of Sansa right before LF pushed her out the moon door. Sansa hasn't brought it up thus far.

ohhh, thanks for this. Sansa has a lot of important knowledge then. She needs to bring some if not all of this shit to light this season.

Heshinsi

He killed her to save Sansa's life though, and then she lied to the Vale Lords to cover for him. Why would I believe her if I'm a Vale lord when she had him on the ropes and protected him instead? No one was forcing her to protect LF during that questioning.

Einchy

My mom has been rooting for Dany and Jon to fuck since, like, season 3. The whole incest thing has not quench her thirst.

Hahaha I've wanted that since season one bro.
giphy.gif

I didn't really want it until season 6, only because it took me a veeeeeery long time to figure out r+L=j and I didn't know shit about asoiaf so I also didn't know where each character was going or who was more important than who.
There's of course a practical reason why that should happen. Dany has three still growing dragons, and eventually those dragons will have little dragons of their own. Only Valyrian blood can bind with the Dragons (hence the incest), so for the good of the realm and all that, ah they ah, need to do like their ancestors.

But if all this is a setup for Jon to run his sword through Dany's heart for some cheap "woman used as sacrifice to save the world" bullshit, I'm going to be pissed. Stay single Dany, no man is worth you in that case!

it's not just a matter of practicality (of course that is important) they are also just...perfect for each other. once/when/if Dany finds out that Jon is her brother's son, I think that will make her want to be even closer to him.

about the dragons though, I think these are gonna be the last dragons I don't think any of them will survive till the end. as for the lightbringer bullshit, yeah i think and hope that is just bullshit I thought GRRM cares little about prophecies?

Gnome

No way the dragons last throughout the entire show, and especially long enough to breed. The Dragons represent power through violence, it's their only function. What the fuck is the message of the show if it ends up that the one with the greatest capacity for violence wins?

Ferrio

Banned
No way the dragons last throughout the entire show, and especially long enough to breed. The Dragons represent power through violence, it's their only function. What the fuck is the message of the show if it ends up that the one with the greatest capacity for violence wins?

I don't see them dying, at least not all of them. The world is waking up to magic again, their existence symbolizes that.

He killed her to save Sansa's life though, and then she lied to the Vale Lords to cover for him. Why would I believe her if I'm a Vale lord when she had him on the ropes and protected him instead? No one was forcing her to protect LF during that questioning.
I think Sansa has learned enough from Carcetti that she could come up with a sly enough excuse as to why she had to lie to Royce & whoever else in the first place. Maybe something about fearing for Robyn's and her own safeties because she didn't know what he was capable of and what he could do next if she betrayed him.

As much of a fuckin weirdo that Robyn is I think he would actually turn on Carcetti if he learned that he was basically responsible for the death of both of his parents.
My mom has been rotting for Dany and Jon to fuck since, like, season 3. The whole incest thing has not quench her thirst.

back in season 3 though we didn't know they were related.

Einchy

I think Sansa has learned enough from Carcetti that she could come up with a sly enough excuse as to why she had to lie to Royce & whoever else in the first place. Maybe something about fearing for Robyn's and her own safeties because she didn't know what he was capable of and what he could do next if she betrayed him.

As much of a fuckin weirdo that Robyn is I think he would actually turn on Carcetti if he learned that he was basically responsible for the death of both of his parents.

back in season 3 though we didn't know they were related.

As in, once we found out they were related, she still didn't care.

Gnome

I don't see them dying, at least not all of them. The world is waking up to magic again, their birth symbolizes that.

The waking already happened, back in Seasons 1 and 2. We're 5 seasons past that and we're seeing where the world is heading as a result. The purpose for the waking of magic is not for it's continuing existence, but to challenge the characters within the world with dealing with the significance of magic and transcending cyclical natures. How they transcend it is important, and I don't think they do that through a rebirth of a past, there is little to no lasting change in that, that is simply begging for repetitious history.

Seriously, if it ended this way, then Daenerys = the Villain, as she will have just perpetuated violence.

The waking already happened, back in Seasons 1 and 2. We're 5 seasons past that and we're seeing where the world is heading as a result. The purpose for the waking of magic is not for it's continuing existence, but to challenge the characters within the world with dealing with the significance of magic and transcending cyclical natures. How they transcend it is important, and I don't think they do that through a rebirth of a past, there is little to no lasting change in that, it begs for repetitious history.

I agree. I don't think the rebirth of magic & dragons is meant for it to be a new expected presence in the world, but a limited presence and vital to the current events taking place.

Heshinsi

giphy.gif

I didn't really want it until season 6, only because it took me a veeeeeery long time to figure out r+L=j and I didn't know shit about asoiaf so I also didn't know where each character was going or who was more important than who.

it's not just a matter of practicality (of course that is important) they are also just...perfect for each other. once/when/if Dany finds out that Jon is her brother's son, I think that will make her want to be even closer to him.

about the dragons though, I think these are gonna be the last dragons I don't think any of them will survive till the end. as for the lightbringer bullshit, yeah i think and hope that is just bullshit I thought GRRM cares little about prophecies?

giphy.gif

kit-harington-and-emilia-clarke-gif-2.gif

tumblr_mq8ogulIK51qhj1u4o1_400.gif

My one wish in life is that someone holds me and looks at me the same way Jon is holding and looking at Dany. You're right, they are so perfect for each other.

Tcab96

My mom has been rooting for Dany and Jon to fuck since, like, season 3. The whole incest thing has not quench her thirst.

I'm actually curious what it is about Dany and Jon that makes a bunch of people ship them. Is it because they're both good and super attractive people that are kind thematically opposed? Even my mother was like, "Man, what if Dany and Jon get together." And she was the last person I suspected to ship these two.

Gnome

I'm actually curious what it is about Dany and Jon that makes a bunch of people ship them. Is it because they're both good and super attractive people that are kind thematically opposed? Even my mother was like, "Man, what if Dany and Jon get together." And she was the last person I suspected to ship these two.

It's as simple as them being the closest to main characters. They both also have destiny tropes attached to them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'm up to speed and out of the spoiler danger zone. That last cut at the end of episode 1 was great.

giphy.gif

kit-harington-and-emilia-clarke-gif-2.gif

tumblr_mq8ogulIK51qhj1u4o1_400.gif

My one wish in life is that someone holds me and looks at me the same way Jon is holding and looking at Dany. You're right, they are so perfect for each other.
May your one wish come true one day.

I think you will enjoy this (fanmade) video very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxC59QZito
Ned Stark's return is going to be epic. can't wait.
more flashbacks? I would like that.

Apparently the guy they got to be Ned looks eerily similar to a young ass Sean Bean.

stark5.jpg

why did they kill ygritte T.T

also team sansa/jon here
team sansa/jon ftw of the series or you want the two to hook up???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom