• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzaco

I don't get the love for her either, I think Dany is the most boring character on the show, and Emilia Clark is a terrible actress.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I miss those girls :(

the one with the curly hair kinda just disappeared but the other one was really nice. loyal to Dany, heart broken when she sees the terror of the world, and then she dies and is forgotten about like Ser Barristan

Man, Khaleesi was so fierce when she had her little Dothraki party. That speech she gave to the dipshits at the gates of Qarth still gives me chills.

Man, Khaleesi was so fierce when she had her little Dothraki party. That speech she gave to the dipshits at the gates of Qarth still gives me chills.
Oh, yeah. That desperate cry for help while simultaneously still maintaining her fiery, entitling atittude, and it works...on Xaron at least.

Fun fact: for those of you who who watched Luke Cage, cottonmouth was supposed to be him

and...I woulda preferred that tbh

Carn82

I don't get the love for her either, I think Dany is the most boring character on the show, and Emilia Clark is a terrible actress.

Terrible is pushing it, but definitely one of the weakest links in the show. But I never cared much for her arc in the books either, to be honest.

she isn't the greatest actress on the show but with that being said how did she get nominated for so many Emmys? Did they just get dumbed down to being a popularity contest like the Grammys & (later) the Oscars?

DBT85

I honestly didn't realize that some people liked Emilia Clarke as Dany so much. I just don't get it.

The character has become an icon for women the world over as she's one one calling the shots and doing what she wants and not being dictated to by men.

People then associate the actress with the same thing.

Got no issue with her tbh. But I don't get too analytical about production stuff.

Speevy

Banned
she isn't the greatest actress on the show but with that being said how did she get nominated for so many Emmys? Did they just get dumbed down to being a popularity contest like the Grammys & (later) the Oscars?

Yeah, pretty much. The veteran British cast (over 40) has turned in almost universally awards-caliber performances. And among the younger cast, Emilia has several contemporaries who tower over her in terms of acting ability.

Surfinn

I seriously don't get the "Clark is a terrible actress". Really? She's not amazing but she does her job well. I don't get it

Volimar

As long as Dinklage keeps winning I don't care who else they nominate. Maisie pls.

I seriously don't get the "Clark is a terrible actress". Really? She's not amazing but she does her job well. I don't get it

You're either fantastic or terrible. There's no room for in between on the internet.

Dany's only "fuck yeah" scene for me was the "Dracarys" burning scene. I've been pretty indifferent to her ever since. We need to see her against the Lannisters now, that'll get things moving again.

Speevy

Banned
Peter Dinklage is a good actor, but the limits to his range show whenever he has to become really angry or sad. It's like Tyrion doesn't know how to express those emotions even though his character has been through so much. His character is written as someone who always guards himself with drinks and jokes and never really lets anyone in.

Volimar

Peter Dinklage is a good actor, but the limits to his range show whenever he has to become really angry or sad. It's like Tyrion doesn't know how to express those emotions even though his character has been through so much. His character is written as someone who always guards himself with drinks and jokes and never really lets anyone in.

He did sad pretty well. Man it's been forever since he's been with a woman. RIP to the God of tits and wine.

Yeah, pretty much. The veteran British cast (over 40) has turned in almost universally awards-caliber performances. And among the younger cast, Emilia has several contemporaries who tower over her in terms of acting ability.
I agree. She's by no means the worst on the show, but Cersei's acting blows hers waaay out of the water in comparison, they're probably the 2 main female characters right now
I think Sam is the worst actor on the show

Surfinn

It's almost like that's who his character is

OrionX

I think Arya and Dany are the two characters I'm most invested in and whose endings I'm most curious about. And now that I think of it, they're kinda similar in that they were both outcasts who had to overcome heavy obstacles. Though Arya did it without a dragon crew and in a much shorter span of time, so props to her.

JDB

Banned
I don't think Clarke is a terrible actress, but not good enough to make a character that got 10x more screen-time than their storyline was worth sufferable.
The problem is that she has the third most screen-time of any character. Half of that is her giving unconvincing speeches and the other half is looking in the distance while her dragons fly over here into said distance. 😁

That's not fair, he's just a baby.
big sam, not little sam. hell, little sam does a better job than big sam lol

they got a cute kid for the job too

4aa687533ec7d3ac9cadc748a180fa83.gif

untitled-414.gif

Surfinn

I don't think Clarke is a terrible actress, but not good enough to make a character that got 10x more screen-time than their storyline was worth sufferable.

The problem is that she has the third most screen-time of any character. Half of that is her giving unconvincing speeches and the other half is looking in the distance while her dragons fly over here into said distance. 😁
She's someone who has learned to inflate her ego to get what she wants. I don't really get the criticism

Speevy

Banned
Feels like trite internet hyperbole where if you're not the best than you're the worst.

If I made a scale of performances for this show, it would look something like

10 - Charles Dance, Mark Addy, Jonathan Pryce
9 - Alfie Allen, Liam Cunningham, Rory Mccann, Anton Lesser
8 - Jack Gleeson, Iwan Rheon, David Bradley, Lena Headey, Stephen Dillane, Michelle Fairley, Sean Bean, Patrick Malahide, Nikolaj Caster-Waldau, Diana Rigg
7 - Maisie Williams, Natalie Dormer, Pedro Pascal, Conleth Hill, Michael McElhatton, Iain Glen, Peter Vaughan, Ian McElhinney, Julian Glover
6 - Richard Madden, Gemma Whelan, Kate Dickie, Peter Dinklage, Roger Ashton-Griffiths, Kristian Nairn
5 - Emilia Clarke, Ellie Kendrick, Finn Jones, Gemma Whelan, Sophie Turner, Aiden Gillen, Hannah Murray, Indira Varma, Gemma Whelan

People who are 1-4 are those like the actor who play Jojen, Bran, Sam, Shae, Ros, Melisandre, The Sand Snakes, Ollie, various one-offs and basically anyone who falls into the below average/bad category.

This list can shift depending on how I'm feeling.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The only person that has been bad in the show, at least so far, was Sibel Kekilli. She might be a decent actress but you could tell she had a lot of issues getting her lines out in English, it made for an awkward performance.

Vashetti

Banned
Dany's only "fuck yeah" scene for me was the "Dracarys" burning scene. I've been pretty indifferent to her ever since. We need to see her against the Lannisters now, that'll get things moving again.

After that scene, I wouldn't mind if she spent the entire rest of the show speaking High Valyrian exclusively.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

8 - Jack Gleeson, Iwan Rheon, David Bradley, Lena Headey, Stephen Dillane, Michelle Fairley, Sean Bean, Patrick Malahide, Nikolaj Caster-Waldau, Diana Rigg
7 - Maisie Williams, Natalie Dormer, Pedro Pascal, Conleth Hill, Michael McElhatton, Iain Glen, Peter Vaughan, Ian McElhinney, Julian Glover
6 - Richard Madden, Gemma Whelan, Kate Dickie, Peter Dinklage, Roger Ashton-Griffiths, Kristian Nairn
5 - Emilia Clarke, Ellie Kendrick, Finn Jones, Gemma Whelan, Sophie Turner, Aiden Gillen, Hannah Murray, Indira Varma

People who are 1-4 are those like the actor who play Jojen, Bran, Sam, Shae, Ros, Melisandre, The Sand Snakes, Ollie, various one-offs and basically anyone who falls into the below average/bad category.

This list can shift depending on how I'm feeling.

What about Kit Harington?

Volimar

The only person that has been bad in the show, at least so far, was Sibel Kekilli. She might be a decent actress but you could tell she had a lot of issues getting her lines out in English, it made for an awkward performance.

So what's the consensus on Shae? Was she a plant the whole time? Did she betray Tyrion to save her own neck or because of her jealousy over Sansa or just for money. You know, for as much as Tywin despised Tyrion he didn't seem to mind sleeping with the same girl as him.

Loke13

So what's the consensus on Shae? Was she a plant the whole time? Did she betray Tyrion to save her own neck or because of her jealousy over Sansa or just for money. You know, for as much as Tywin despised Tyrion he didn't seem to mind sleeping with the same girl as him.
the big twist? Tywin is a hypocrite.

Speevy

Banned
The plot twist is that Jaime, Cersei,and Tyrion are all children of the mad king. Tywin was forced to watch as Aerys bedded his wife Joanna for years and there was nothing he could do about it. That's why he repeatedly tells Tyrion he's not his son because he's the Targaryen who finally killed his beloved wife.

Finally, Tywin sacked King's Landing as an ultimate revenge against the mad king, only to watch years later as Targaryen incest and extra-marital affairs consumed his own children.

Also Tyrion is fireproof and willl ride a dragon.

Ed Sheeran

I don't believe any of this.

OrionX

I've always wondered if she was possibly a spy all along. Either way, I do believe that she fell in love with Tyrion. When Tyrion ended things with her she seemed genuinely broken to me, and I don't see why she would've asked him to flee Kings Landing with her if she didn't actually want to be with him. The way I saw it was that she just wanted to hurt Tyrion for breaking her heart. As far as sleeping with Tywin, I would assume it was just for the money. Tyrion made her feel worthless by rejecting her, so she went back to being a whore and not caring about anything.

I still don't get Bran's ability. How can things have happened in the past because of him, and then have him come into existence to make such things have happened.

Zolo

I still don't get Bran's ability. How can things have happened in the past because of him, and then have him come into existence to make such things have happened.

Seems to kinda work on a fated time-loop theory. Bran will never go into the past to change something that's already happened because otherwise it would have already happened.

What exactly does she do to take you out of the moment?

I'm not seeing it
she's just not always convincing when she tries to portray emotion. like in season...2 i think it was when she went to the house of the undying, then saw the wall, then saw a tent with khal drogo and had to leave sorta teary eyed. it didn't take me out of the moment, but it just wasn't her best moment either.

Speevy

Banned

What's really going to bake your noodle later is would Hodor have saved your life if you hadn't made him Hodor?

What's really going to bake your noodle later is would Hodor have saved your life if you hadn't made him Hodor?
Wylis could've grown up to be a great warrior if fuckin Bran didn't ruin everything.

speaking of Hodor though, what kinda bothers me about these fantasy fiction stories are any people who are really big or really small have some sort of humanoid mythical blood in them. Hodor is supposed to have giants blood, the actor is 7 feet tall, so are there just...no regular people who grow to be 7 feet tall in the world of asoiaf?

I have the same complaint about the HP universe, the actors playing professor Flitwick and Griphook are goblins, who are played by dwarfs. So, are there no wizards that were born with dwarfism syndrome? if they were, are they often mistaken for goblins?

Gnome

Wylis could've grown up to be a great warrior if fuckin Bran didn't ruin everything.

speaking of Hodor though, what kinda bothers me about these fantasy fiction stories are any people who are really big or really small have some sort of humanoid mythical blood in them. Hodor is supposed to have giants blood, the actor is 7 feet tall, so are there just...no regular people who grow to be 7 feet tall in the world of asoiaf?

I have the same complaint about the HP universe, the actors playing professor Flitwick and Griphook are goblins, who are played by dwarfs. So, are there no wizards that were born with dwarfism syndrome? if they were, are they often mistaken for goblins?

Brienne, Hodor, The Hound, and the Mountain are all candidates for being related to Ser Duncan the Tall, who was like 7ft tall. GRRM has mentioned that there are 3 characters related to Ser Dunk currently in the world of ASOIAF.

Edit: After googling, I'm not sure there were 3, but w/e, they're all speculated to possibly be his progeny.

5 - Emilia Clarke, Ellie Kendrick, Finn Jones, Gemma Whelan, Sophie Turner, Aiden Gillen, Hannah Murray, Indira Varma

Poor Yara got counted twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom