• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brienne, Hodor, The Hound, and the Mountain are all candidates for being related to Ser Duncan the Tall, who was like 7ft tall. GRRM has mentioned that there are 3 characters related to Ser Dunk currently in the world of ASOIAF.

Edit: After googling, I'm not sure there were 3, but w/e, they're all speculated to possibly be his progeny.
That's just the thing there are several tall characters and this world makes it seem like having giants blood is a prerequisite for it.

So in some warped world where half of the NBA end up in Westeros, will the Westerosi suddenly start telling themselves that there is a whole nother place out there with human giant hybrids?

Instead of believing in the idea that...some people can just be tall?

Curufinwe

I'm watching some behind the scenes videos from season 1 on HBO GO and I had forgot Jon gave Arya Needle.

Before season 8 starts I will have to do a full rewatch.

I'm watching some behind the scenes videos from season 1 on HBO GO and I had forgot Jon gave Arya Needle.

Before season 8 starts I will have to do a full rewatch.

before the "previously on game of thrones" in season 6, i completely forgot that Tyrion went with Jon to the wall. it must've been because i was high so often when when watching that show

FiggyCal

Banned
Also I was just thinking recently, and I hope its unfounded... but is Jon Snow a Mary Sue? For the life of me I can't think of a single character flaw he has.

FiggyCal

Banned
Did you see what happened when he was serving on the wall?

I was thinking of when he got killed. He was betrayed by a small group of collaborators for doing the right thing. I don't think his issue was that he was too trusting there... who could have seen it coming?

But I think elsewhere, he's shown to be kind of naive and impulsive. Like when he didn't kill Ygritte or when he tried to save Rickon. Anyway, I was wrong. Crisis averted.

I was thinking of when he got killed. He was betrayed by a small group of collaborators for doing the right thing. I don't think his issue was that he was too trusting there... who could have seen it coming?

But I think elsewhere, he's shown to be kind of naive and impulsive. Like when he didn't kill Ygritte or when he tried to save Rickon. I was wrong. Crisis averted.

Allister was intent on getting him killed all the time he was there. Jon thought he could appeal to his honor by making him second in command. Allister took that position and rallied other watchmen under him.

A smarter leader would've made sure he had no power.

Nameless

Allister was intent on getting him killed all the time he was there. Jon thought he could appeal to his honor by making him second in command. Allister took that position and rallied other watchmen under him.

A smarter leader would've made sure he had no power.

9443648446a42ef0c2d96581ff786e27.jpg

It's not an exact science, though. Trusting Thorne was a grave mistake, but Tormund has proven to be one his closest, most valuable allies. And I have a feeling young Ned Umber and Alyce Karstark will remain loyal for life.

I loved Stannis, but his strict bend or get broken attitude forced him to rely on sellswords who deserted him the second things got hairy.

Also I was just thinking recently, and I hope its unfounded... but is Jon Snow a Mary Sue? For the life of me I can't think of a single character flaw he has.
he's not good at explaining, or at empathizing.

when Olly was complaining to him about the wildlings, he says "I know what it's like to lose the ones you love" - but he doesn't know what it's like to be less than 10 years old, to watch your father die in an instant literally right in front of you, and your home get massacred. That is a goddamn scarring experience.

If I were Jon, I would've made Tormund approach Olly, look him in the eye, and tell him he's sorry for killing his family and ruining his childhood. Of course that wouldn't have brought Olly's family back but as it is, Jon was being inconsiderate and not caring enough about the fact that this kid's life has been severely damaged. And Tormund basically never faced any repercussions for the innocents he cut down. I know he's had good character development but the show has largely ignored his wrongdoings too.

Vagabundo

I can't see Dany working with anyone as an equal. They're cousins. Not sure if Jon has a better claim to the throne from his lineage: my Westerosi lore isn't great. But Dany is an entitled shit. I can't imagine her just taking a back seat. Jon will probably have some sway with her dragons - can't wait for Bran will worg into them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't see Dany working with anyone as an equal. They're cousins. Not sure if Jon has a better claim to the throne from his lineage: my Westerosi lore isn't great. But Dany is an entitled shit. I can't imagine her just taking a back seat. Jon will probably have some sway with her dragons - can't wait for Bran will worg into them.
As a bastard he wouldn't. If he was somehow a legitimate Targaryen he would. I mean Rhaegar could have done so, it would just be weird if it was all in secret.

ryseing

Aunt/nephew, actually. And Jon technically has the better claim since he's Rhaegar's son, while Dany is Rhaegar's sister.

Of course, this assumes Lyanna and Rhaegar actually married.

rambis

Banned
I wonder how they'll get their due. Nobody in Westeros is going to bother paying.

Though I guess Cersei owes them a lot too.
Wasn't it Davos who neogotiated it? He serves Jon now. Tywin was shook of the iron bank for a reason and they haven't shown their hand yet.

I think Jon needs to ditch Davos asap. He's already gotten him to get rid of the magic red witch and might be liable to another kings debt. Something about him says bad luck.

Protein

Banned
I don't see the Bank backing down. They're the type that will fund your enemy if you default on your debt. I found it strange that their plot just seemingly ended. Now they're rowing with Gendry.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

And your bases for this sentiment is Dany's encounters with slavers and Dothraki war lords? How do you know how she'll respond with people who aren't dipshits...oh wait Yara. Dany sure put the boot to her neck right?

1diog3a.gif

Heshinsi

Aunt/nephew, actually. And Jon technically has the better claim since he's Rhaegar's son, while Dany is Rhaegar's sister.

Does he though? He forfeited all titles (which he had none of due to being a then Stark bastard) upon taking the black. He doesn't reacquire these titles automatically due to getting out of the Night's Watch oaths. It would require a royal decree to reinstate them, and even then, I don't see how it allows him to roll back into his original place for inheritance. So if he was first in line to something, and he gets bumped off and someone below him gets bumped up, wouldn't he slot back in behind them if he gets reinstated? The Night's Watch oath doesn't say, "...and all titles and claims that I know of." It essentially deletes all of them, known or otherwise.

FStubbs

Wasn't it Davos who neogotiated it? He serves Jon now. Tywin was shook of the iron bank for a reason and they haven't shown their hand yet.

I think Jon needs to ditch Davos asap. He's already gotten him to get rid of the magic red witch and might be liable to another kings debt. Something about him says bad luck.

Davos is an employee. Employees don't bring over debt from their previous place of employment.

That being said, I doubt they'd listen to Davos if he tried to get them to loan Jon money.

Elandyll

Banned
So is tonight the night our leads meet each other for the first time?
If Jon uses LF's teleporter, maybe.

Joke aside, Winterfell is days if not weeks of travel away from Dragonstone afaik.

Imo we will see him receiving Sam's message, and trying to convince the other Northern lords of the benefits of an alliance with Dany.

Heshinsi

Honestly, I don't think Dany gives a shit about anyone else's claim.

Plus, If we're going to make a point that Jon's claim (pretending that his parent's wed, and that the Night's Watch oath didn't send him to the back of the line) supersedes Dany's, we must also be just and agree that with the same standards, Sansa has been usurped.

FStubbs

Plus, If we're going to these lengths to justify Jon's claim, we must also be just and agree that with the same standards, Sansa has been usurped.

Nope, Jon offered it to Sansa and Sansa turned it down. IF she had accepted she'd be Queen in the North.

Now, when Bran shows up at Winterfell, that will make things interesting since his claim was stronger than Sansa's anyway.

Heshinsi

Nope, Jon offered it to Sansa and Sansa turned it down. IF she had accepted she'd be Queen in the North.

Now, when Bran shows up at Winterfell, that will make things interesting since his claim was stronger than Sansa's anyway.

When did this happen? The Lords in that hall made Jon King though right? I don't recall Jon stating that Sansa should have the title.

televator

9443648446a42ef0c2d96581ff786e27.jpg

It's not an exact science, though. Trusting Thorne was a grave mistake, but Tormund has proven to be one his closest, most valuable allies. And I have a feeling young Ned Umber and Alyce Karstark will remain loyal for life.

I loved Stannis, but his strict bend or get broken attitude forced him to rely on sellswords who deserted him the second things got hairy.

Plus, Jon's 2 best watch bros wanted to kill him at one point.

jfkgoblue

Plus, If we're going to make a point that Jon's claim (pretending that his parent's wed, and that the Night's Watch oath didn't send him to the back of the line) supersedes Dany's, we must also be just and agree that with the same standards, Sansa has been usurped.
No, Sansa is still lady of Winterfell, just not King in the North, which is an entirely different thing, and doesn't necessarily follow normal succession protocols.

Jon would be a better King than Dany anyway, she is so entitled that I have gotten to the point of just strongly disliking her.

Vagabundo

As a bastard he wouldn't. If he was somehow a legitimate Targaryen he would. I mean Rhaegar could have done so, it would just be weird if it was all in secret.

Interesting. Maybe it was all in secret, but it's all lost to the mists of time, unless there are more flashbacks or something.

And your bases for this sentiment is Dany's encounters with slavers and Dothraki war lords? How do you know how she'll respond with people who aren't dipshits...oh wait Yara. Dany sure put the boot to her neck right?

1diog3a.gif

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant her sharing the throne in someway or accepting the King/Queen of the North as an equal. She's made it clear she believes the Seven Kingdoms hers by birthright.

She is bound to find out about Jon at some point. It will be interesting to see how to deals with another Targaryen, bastard and all.

EDIT: Have we seen Roberts bastard at all recently? Wasn't he rowing somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom